Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ixian posted:

Sometimes they weren't even subtle about it.

Were they just out on the street with a bullhorn yelling up at the workers "You sandal wearing goldfish tenders, get some real scaffolding! Bamboo? More like Bambooooooooo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

The most questionable thing about the bamboo scaffolding is that workers just climb up it without harnesses. Oh, and in typhoon season when 50 storeys of bamboo poles come smashing down in the wind.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ixian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqUS4JGbb3I

All about it.

Short answer is, you can certainly find OSHA thread worthy examples of bad bamboo scaffolding practices but the bamboo itself isn't the problem, it's the usual cost-cutting dipshittery.

I know for people new to visiting Asia it can be a strange sight, particularly in places under perpetual, never-ending reconstruction like Hong Kong, Singapore, or Hengyang, but it is very common.

It's kinda cool though cuz it's an organic sort of shell surrounding an inorganic building on the inside. Also looks like a spider web.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Choom Gangster posted:

The most questionable thing about the bamboo scaffolding is that workers just climb up it without harnesses. Oh, and in typhoon season when 50 storeys of bamboo poles come smashing down in the wind.

I'm pretty sure steel scaffolding wouldn't last long against those winds either, but you do you I guess.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The strike a lot of people like to make against it is it takes a little more skill to do the erection right. Bamboo diameter changes so it has a direction you need to pay attention to on risers and crosses that galvanized members don't, and lashing isn't as easy as collaring a few members and hitting it with a hammer until it stops moving.

You aren't really getting away with anything using metal instead because a scaffold crew still needs a better than average intuition of statics to do anything fancier than straight up.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Were they just out on the street with a bullhorn yelling up at the workers "You sandal wearing goldfish tenders, get some real scaffolding! Bamboo? More like Bambooooooooo!"

No, just typical condescending "wow, they are really behind the times here" type comments, a baffling take on a city like Singapore.

That, and that most of the steel that goes in to metal scaffolding actually comes from China makes it extra-ironic but what can you do.

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

iospace posted:

I'm pretty sure steel scaffolding wouldn't last long against those winds either, but you do you I guess.

I'm not saying it would. Needless interjection, but you do you I guess.

Bamboo scaffolding works great, the solid concrete 30 storey apartement buildings with a single lift, no smoke alarms or fire escapes that the scaffolding is used to repair are the actual OSHA poo poo.

Choom Gangster fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 26, 2019

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

maybe it saved him from getting run over

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.” - Mel Brooks

Is there any more info on this guy? I can't find anything. Despite the quote I do hope he's not too injured.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mel Brooks is still alive as far as I can tell.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

AFewBricksShy posted:

“Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.” - Mel Brooks

Is there any more info on this guy? I can't find anything. Despite the quote I do hope he's not too injured.

Mel Brooks directed a bunch of funny movies and is still alive afaik

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hey, your wording makes it sound like you're talking about Mel Brooks in the second line rather than the man who fell, and that's pretty darn amusing

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The guy running into the manhole was Mel Brooks. :rip: (the footage is sped up, it took 5 minutes for him to get there at his age)

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/KellyReinkeTV/status/1110630716977618950

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

schmug posted:

not with an unlimited labor force it wouldn't

An old trade school teacher of mine was contracted to install some CNC lathes in some factories in Guiyang, a little provincial center in China (population 4 million). He got to the last factory with the truck containing the last lathe (about 3.5 tons) and his translator was talking to the foreman. The conversation was along these lines:

Translator: "Where's your forklift, I'll get it off the truck for you"
Foreman: "Huh? Oh we don't have one of those"
T: "???"
F: *calls like fifty guys to come over to lift the lathe into place*

They manhandled this thing off the truck and into place. Just loving schlepped it like a queen size bed mattress you had stuffed into your hatchback that was a prick to get in, a prick to get out and a prick to carry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Air Force, overseas homestation.

We were sending a bunch of Marines downrange. Naturally they had quite a bit of equipment and baggage, which our cargo crew needed to palletize and weigh before we could load it onto an aircraft. Our cargo and ramp teams were swamped that day, so things were going at a slow pace. The Marines were apparently very helpful in stacking their bags up in a pile on the pallet. Our cargo guys strapped everything down so it wouldn't shift around in flight.

After that was done one of the Marines asked our cargo guy "What happens next?" (They're standing in the cargo area, which is like a big warehouse).

Our cargo guy (thinking the Marine was simply curious) answers "It needs to go over on the big scale over there to get weighed. Then we write down the weight so the pilots can calculate fuel load, then we load it on the jet." After this explanation, the cargo guy leaves to get a forklift.

Now, I'm not a cargo guy, but with all the bags, and the fact that it was a steel pallet, I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess that the whole kit and kaboodle weighed somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand pounds. I could be way off, but that's my best WAG.

Anyway, the cargo guy walked off. The only thing the Marines heard was "This pallet needs to go on the scale". He didn't say jack about a forklift and apparently it never crossed their minds that we had equipment for this sort of thing. Naturally, the Marines wanted to help. Somehow they got the notion that it was their responsibility to load their own equipment.

Before anyone can tell them any different, these Marines crowd around this enormous pallet. In the cargo area suddenly some Sgt shouts: "PREPARE TO LIFT!!" a short pause. "LIFT!!"

The Marines bend down and grab this thing on all sides, lift it off the ground, and then use a series of short-choppy steps and move the whole thing about 60 yards. (which is a pretty insane feat considering how heavy this thing was) They gingerly set it down on the scale.

Our guy drives over in the forklift and is puzzled when the pallet isn't where he left it. They start shouting at him from the scale to get his attention.
"Okay, write down the weight. We'll catch our breath. Then just show us which jet you want us to load it onto..."

Holy poo poo!

Afterward our cargo guy explained the concept of a forklift to them, and also explained that it was his job to load the pallet, not theirs. He'd take it from there.

He gets the pallet onto the forklift and heads out to the flightline he overhears the Marines joking with one another.

"These Air Force guys use forklifts... the big sissies..." LOL

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The air Force making you wait forever for menial poo poo is the truest element of this story.

God damned jerks.

Want me ready to go 5 hours before you take off? gently caress their goddamn poo poo they're awful even when allowed to "get rid of the bullshit" by operating their own goddamn operation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If you use steel scaffolding and an incident occurs, you can blame the manufacture of the hardware or the users who abused it or the grunts who didn’t follow best practices when installing it.

Engineering calculations can show the design of the scaffolding to be perfectly safe. The unfortunate incident stems from the fault of some unimportant scapegoat.

With bamboo, it’s harder to pass the buck.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Wasabi the J posted:

The air Force making you wait forever for menial poo poo is the truest element of this story.

God damned jerks.

Want me ready to go 5 hours before you take off? gently caress their goddamn poo poo they're awful even when allowed to "get rid of the bullshit" by operating their own goddamn operation.

Looks like someone has some feelings

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gently caress the air force.

former paratrooper spotted

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Wasabi the J posted:

God damned jerks.

Kinda like calling a guy, telling him he needs to be ready to deploy in 24 hours, and then when he arrives they tell him, "Oh poo poo son, that's a real bad cavity in that tooth there. We can't send you out! Not without the base dentist to sign off, and he's not gonna be in til next month!"

Never mind that his childhood dentist was just down the road. Had to be the base dentist. Can't trust no civilian dentist to know what's what.

He came home the next day.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I worked for a retired air force colonel who hated forklifts with every fiber of his being

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

tactlessbastard posted:

I worked for a retired air force colonel who hated forklifts with every fiber of his being

Did he ever explain why? Or was it just a case of not trusting machines in general?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Presumably his wife slept with a forklift while he was deployed.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

jobson groeth posted:

Looks like someone has some feelings

sneakyfrog posted:

gently caress the air force.

former paratrooper spotted

No, I had a Army deployment where I got out in charge of my sections logistics. Some it that included these super high speed "we'll never allow Benghazi again" type missions that the air Force would keep us sitting on the tarmac for around 8 hours to get a plane ready or something.

I know aviation isn't as simple as getting in a car. I know that there's always a wait somewhere.

But when it's your only goddamn job and you're the only team that can get boots on ground in a hostile environment, maybe cut the dudes about to go there and do things a little loving slack, especially if it's not going to bring down the plane in a fiery crash.

Or keep the crews and planes fresh just like the Navy does for their rapid response teams on carriers. We tried doing that on our end with palletizing our kit for the missions and keeping it fully logged and under lock and key. Didn't matter.

Air force kept everyone waiting for some completely opaque reason. Didn't even release dudes to eat; they had to dig into their own MREs because they were stuck on the "secure" side of the airfield, meaning they were one chain link fence from the base in general.

There's no TSA for the flights.

We just passed plates of food over the fence to our team.

gently caress the Air Force and gently caress this Wendy's drive through.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wasabi the J posted:

No, I had a Army deployment where I got out in charge of my sections logistics. Some it that included these super high speed "we'll never allow Benghazi again" type missions that the air Force would keep us sitting on the tarmac for around 8 hours to get a plane ready or something.

I know aviation isn't as simple as getting in a car. I know that there's always a wait somewhere.

But when it's your only goddamn job and you're the only team that can get boots on ground in a hostile environment, maybe cut the dudes about to go there and do things a little loving slack, especially if it's not going to bring down the plane in a fiery crash.

Or keep the crews and planes fresh just like the Navy does for their rapid response teams on carriers. We tried doing that on our end with palletizing our kit for the missions and keeping it fully logged and under lock and key. Didn't matter.

Air force kept everyone waiting for some completely opaque reason. Didn't even release dudes to eat; they had to dig into their own MREs because they were stuck on the "secure" side of the airfield, meaning they were one chain link fence from the base in general.

There's no TSA for the flights.

We just passed plates of food over the fence to our team.

gently caress the Air Force and gently caress this Wendy's drive through.

This is actually a McDonald's drive thru.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Zil posted:

Did he ever explain why? Or was it just a case of not trusting machines in general?

"loving retarded airmen poking holes in my goddamned airplanes"

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Wasabi the J posted:

No, I had a Army deployment...

...Words...

...gently caress the Air Force and gently caress this Wendy's drive through.

I have no idea what you just said but:

Respect. (insert fist out for a well deserved fist bump. Might be even worth a "lock it up")

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

mostlygray posted:

"lock it up"

loving cursed

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

mostlygray posted:

I have no idea what you just said but:

Respect. (insert fist out for a well deserved fist bump. Might be even worth a "lock it up")

Is that where you insert your fists in one another’s anuses and lock together as a single dumbshit troop

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Former DILF posted:

Is that where you insert your fists in one another’s anuses and lock together as a single dumbshit troop

Got it in one. Hooah

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Whoa sorry guys. I thought this was a gip thread for a second and had a whole stream off consciousness thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

stream off consciousness thing.
Is that like sleep posting?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It has been noticed in countries with "regulations" and "labor rights" and other such bourgeois ideas.

So why don't they use it in the USA :confused:

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Jerry Cotton posted:

So why don't they use it in the USA :confused:

reported for attempted politics in gbs

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

sneakyfrog posted:

gently caress the entire united states military.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It has been noticed in countries with "regulations" and "labor rights" and other such bourgeois ideas.

all those bourgeoisie in the west fighting so hard for labor rights and regulations drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

gently caress me if this isn’t true. Why yes, let’s have an unplanned 4-mile run wearing ~60lbs of gear and carrying weapons, what could possibly go wrong :downs:

Let’s have a guy fireman carry someone that outweighs him by around 50lbs, if he trips and falls that’s on him! Wait, he tripped and got knocked out when big dude fell on his head, who could’ve seen this coming :confused:

Air bubbles in an IV line? Sir, I’m the medic here and I say that’s fine. Now lie back and relax, that weird feeling of air going into your veins will be gone soon. (Half the loving line was an air bubble :gonk: )

There’s a drat good reason that the Military Idiots thread is one of the more popular ones in GiP.