Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The vast majority of people will be refilling their card regularly.

I'd rather have that than stand behind some schmuck trying to drop in 30 100yen coins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

smdh @ schmucks refilling their cards at machines at all, get a View Suica

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Can you pick up a Suica anywhere or is it like Boston where the only place you can get it is a lovely underground station that smells like piss?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Lord I assure you Tokyo's transportation system is less pissy and lovely than Boston

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Can you pick up a Suica anywhere or is it like Boston where the only place you can get it is a lovely underground station that smells like piss?

I got mine from Japan Rail Pass.

peanut posted:

Lord I assure you Tokyo's transportation system is less pissy and lovely than Boston

Yeah there's few places that can probably top the shitfest that is the T in Boston :negative:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

smdh @ schmucks refilling their cards at machines at all, get a View Suica

mobile Suica life with commuting pass is pretty good

Pollyanna posted:

no, like I posted earlier, each station has ticket machines just outside the gate. most machines can provide new Suica/Pasmo and all can charge your existing ones.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I switched my iphone to Japan region and just followed some online instructions on generating a new suica that I can reload at the push of a button.

Still keeping my separate physical card with like 2000 yen in my wallet in case I lose my phone but I guess at that point I may as well just be dead because I'd literally just be lost 24/7.

Looking to cut down on the coin clutter if I pay for all my snacks and such with suica so here's hoping. I still have bags and bags of coins from my last trip.

e: Here's the site I used to set up my virtual suica:

https://atadistance.net/all-about-suica-app/#Creating-a-Virtual-Suica-Card

I guess you can get around a bunch of these steps if you just transfer an existing suica card to your phone, but again, I wanted to retain a physical one just in case and didn't really want to drop another 500y on a second card just to import it to my phone.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 26, 2019

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

^^ I grabbed my snowboard jacket early this season and found 4 100yen coins in a chest pocket. I just left them there for good luck or something.

Taking my daughter to Tokyo for a week for her graduation present in June. I've done 2 trips to Niseko but have only spent 2 or 3 hours total in Tokyo (that night time bus trip from Narita to Haneda was amazing though). I've got a hotel in Shinjuku booked for the duration and don't really expect she'll want to go anywhere but Tokyo. I've done some cursory searching out music festivals but don't seem to see much around our window (June 14-21), but the sites I've found for that are all very Tripadvisory & I'm not sure I'm getting a good idea of what's actually up. Any advice there?

Soricidus posted:

why travel to japan at all when google street view exists

Fried chicken from Lawson.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Do most 7/11s accept Suica? Or like, what generally does or doesn't?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

harperdc posted:

mobile Suica life with commuting pass is pretty good

I think auto-charging is View Suica only, even on Mobile Suica. This automatically charges when you go through the gate if you've fallen below a specified amount. I have mine set to auto-charge 10000 yen when it drops below 10000 yen. Suica is drastically more convenient when you don't have to think about the balance at all, I use mine for combinis, taxis, and lunch/cafes.

This is why QR code payments like PayPay or LINE Pay have an uphill battle once their ridiculous promotions are done.

I used LINE Pay at Bic Camera the other day since they were doing 20% back as points. It was the most convoluted process.
1. Pull out smartphone, unlock, launch LINE app
2. Tell cashier to use LINE Pay, they scan my barcode for the promotion
3. Open Line Pay, they have to scan my QR code
4. Input the payment amount on my phone (yes, I had to type in how much to pay them, can't imagine what a hassle it would be if I mis-input for some reason)
5. Approve the payment

It was a lot of work and my points still didn't show up until like 60 days later.

That's opposed to just... pulling out my Suica card and placing it on the reader.

Johnny Truant posted:

Do most 7/11s accept Suica? Or like, what generally does or doesn't?

All major chain combinis take IC cards, nationwide. They used to be incompatible but these days you can use Suica pretty much anywhere that takes any kind of transportation IC card.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 26, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] I know the View card is automatic but it ain’t that hard to add 5000 yen, especially because I want to make sure my credit card isn’t sitting there smoking in my bag from over-use.

highme posted:

I've done some cursory searching out music festivals but don't seem to see much around our window (June 14-21), but the sites I've found for that are all very Tripadvisory & I'm not sure I'm getting a good idea of what's actually up. Any advice there?

The two big festivals (Fuji Rock and Summer Sonic) are later in July and August respectively, there might be something happening in Tokyo though. There’s always concerts, just need to know where to look.

[edit] plz bring me one of the new Timbers shirts too

harperdc fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 26, 2019

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

I think auto-charging is View Suica only, even on Mobile Suica. This automatically charges when you go through the gate if you've fallen below a specified amount. I have mine set to auto-charge 10000 yen when it drops below 10000 yen. Suica is drastically more convenient when you don't have to think about the balance at all, I use mine for combinis, taxis, and lunch/cafes.

This is why QR code payments like PayPay or LINE Pay have an uphill battle once their ridiculous promotions are done.

I used LINE Pay at Bic Camera the other day since they were doing 20% back as points. It was the most convoluted process.
1. Pull out smartphone, unlock, launch LINE app
2. Tell cashier to use LINE Pay, they scan my barcode for the promotion
3. Open Line Pay, they have to scan my QR code
4. Input the payment amount on my phone (yes, I had to type in how much to pay them, can't imagine what a hassle it would be if I mis-input for some reason)
5. Approve the payment

It was a lot of work and my points still didn't show up until like 60 days later.

That's opposed to just... pulling out my Suica card and placing it on the reader.

It's weird LINE didn't just copy WeChat/Alipay/KakaoPay (which have all been accepted in Japan at major retailers for some time) and made it some convoluted process beyond open app, pay.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

highme posted:

I've done some cursory searching out music festivals but don't seem to see much around our window (June 14-21), but the sites I've found for that are all very Tripadvisory & I'm not sure I'm getting a good idea of what's actually up. Any advice there?

Change your trip window and go to Fuji Rock.

But June is smack dab in the middle of rainy season so not a lot of outdoor events tend to get scheduled in that time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

It's weird LINE didn't just copy WeChat/Alipay/KakaoPay (which have all been accepted in Japan at major retailers for some time) and made it some convoluted process beyond open app, pay.

Gotta keep it Japanese.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I think a lot of it depends on how integrated the retailer is.

Like at Lawson you say LINE Pay, then show your QR code (which, at least on android, you can do from home screen shortcut + fingerprint), they scan it and you're done. Still a hassle compared to IC cards, but there's no manual input or barcode scanning required by me.

LINE Pay has its advantages though, particularly for C2C stuff. If someone is my friend on LINE, I can send them money 24/7, whether or not they have a LINE Pay account already. No more dealing with furikomi or cash to split izakaya bills.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Late to coin purse chat, but I've got this combination coin purse/key ring which is extremely needs suiting:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

From a minute ago, but if there an easy way to search for sento in the Tokyo area? Somebody mentioned there probably being one closer to my hotel, but I can't seem to search for them properly, haha.

Searching Google maps for 'onsen' and 'bathhouse' only bring up businesses with that in their name, not like the restaurant search function where it shows you all of them in the area you're viewing.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

From a minute ago, but if there an easy way to search for sento in the Tokyo area? Somebody mentioned there probably being one closer to my hotel, but I can't seem to search for them properly, haha.

Searching Google maps for 'onsen' and 'bathhouse' only bring up businesses with that in their name, not like the restaurant search function where it shows you all of them in the area you're viewing.

My bad, that was me; was on mobile and going to point you to specific ones once I got to a computer but forgot.

For walking distance (~1km) you got:
Sekai yu
https://goo.gl/maps/LiWUpw7QfEF2

Jisshi-yu
https://goo.gl/maps/8p3jWpTPwYz
This one is also specifically noted as allowing tattoos.
https://sauna-ikitai.com/search?pre...tai_counts_desc

Otama-yu
https://goo.gl/maps/tzFjQrkig5C2

Here's also the search for Sento in that area:
https://www.google.com/maps/search/%E9%8A%AD%E6%B9%AF/@35.6902499,139.777031,14.64z

Sento are actually in usually fine with tattoos, unlike onsen, so you can give any old one a shot and you're likely to be able to go, or if you see one you want to try in specific ask the hotel concierge to confirm if you need.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Unfortunately our tickets are purchased & my dates are locked in. We'll find poo poo to do.

harperdc posted:

[edit] plz bring me one of the new Timbers shirts too

I'm happy to pack any PTFC poo poo you want, (I can very likely get anything you want signed too). On our original itinerary we were going to be in Tokyo for the home match against Houston and I was looking forward to the Tokyo RSG watch party. Then Anderson .Paak announced a show at Edgefield for that weekend and I changed the dates (then forgot to buy tickets). Tokyo FC has a home match the weekend we're there, so I'm going to hit that up.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
poo poo my Japan trip's still almost 7 months out and I'm already daydreaming all day at work instead of working.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

arisu posted:

poo poo my Japan trip's still almost 7 months out and I'm already daydreaming all day at work instead of working.

I've been one foot out the door since the day I got back from Japan. It's loving nutters what travel does to you. 40 days for me.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

arisu posted:

Yeah I've been doing this for about the same length of time, even moreso now that all the necessary details(flights, hotels, transport) are locked down. No more worrying about where we'll sleep, and now I can just think of cool poo poo to do :bubblewoop:

LimburgLimbo posted:

My bad, that was me; was on mobile and going to point you to specific ones once I got to a computer but forgot.

a bunch of cool sento info

No worries, I appreciate the followup! I think we still may make the trek to Mannenyu Onsen over in Shinjuku because it has more baths/amenities than the sento you linked to. Wish we could make it to an actual onsen with a nice view or something, but guess that'll have to be saved for next trip..

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I had meant to go in May and found some great prices for plane tickets but it didn't work out so I'm looking at summer/eary autumn now and the ticket prices are through the goddamn roof.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do I need to buy Shinkansen tickets in advance? Like, before we leave the country?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Do I need to buy Shinkansen tickets in advance? Like, before we leave the country?

No.
You can get a regular ticket (at least for unnumbered seats) at the gate just before departure.
If you want a reserved seat, possibly with a railpass, you may need to be out the day before.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Then I’ve got a couple of quote unquote “adults” to reassure. :shepface:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check ANA (use incognito tab) because they have a great +/-5 days calendar view feature.
September - October is the Rugby World Cup so try comparing KIX vs NRT, etc.

PS Shinkansen leave every 5-10 20 minutes. It's amazing. You can reserve seats at a ticket window days or 20 minutes before you ride.

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 27, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pollyanna posted:

Then I’ve got a couple of quote unquote “adults” to reassure. :shepface:

The Tokyo-Kyoto route is the busiest in the country with a train leaving every 15 or 20 minutes. There is no way to have an issue getting a ticket at the station for that trip.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

nielsm posted:

No.
You can get a regular ticket (at least for unnumbered seats) at the gate just before departure.
If you want a reserved seat, possibly with a railpass, you may need to be out the day before.

the only time i've ever had trouble getting a reserved seat immediately before travel on any japanese train was on the ltd exp out of takayama at the end of the spring festival. so if you're going to something stupidly busy like that then either reserve in advance or travel first class, otherwise it's fine

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[Edit] ^^^^^^ only time I have had problem getting reserved for Shinkansen has been ski trips.

highme posted:

I'm happy to pack any PTFC poo poo you want, (I can very likely get anything you want signed too). On our original itinerary we were going to be in Tokyo for the home match against Houston and I was looking forward to the Tokyo RSG watch party. Then Anderson .Paak announced a show at Edgefield for that weekend and I changed the dates (then forgot to buy tickets). Tokyo FC has a home match the weekend we're there, so I'm going to hit that up.

I was also going to suggest the Urawa game the same day, but it’s FC Tokyo hosting Vesselona Kobe (what with Iniesta and now actual Barca castoffs joining) so yeah that is absolutely a cromulent choice.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Already Bored posted:

3. A friend of ours recommended we fly down to Yukashima. Has anyone been?

4. Yukashima seems like it's off the beaten path for most international tourists. Can anyone recommend similar places (i.e. stuff that doesn't make every single travel guide?). Anywhere in central / southern Honshu, Shikou or Kyushu is fair game.

Thanks++

if you actually got through all these God-damned nerds talking about coin pockets (JFC), here's my trip report for yakushima.

you'll probably need to go via Kagoshima. not a bad city, and cool stuff to see for a day or two. sakurajima and trips near there, not bad. it's like a 4 hour ferry ride from Kagoshima to yakushima. there are other ways to go, there's a fast boat that is like triple the price, and you can go via helicopter if you want to pretend you're a crazy rich person, I took the ferry. the ferry had a sauna on it, which was cool and good.

there were hotels and hostels on the island. the hostel I stayed at, everyone spoke English perfectly. they had routes to get to the places you want to go (jomon sugi, ohko no taki, cool onsens, etc).

it's definitely doable, but you probably want an evening in Kagoshima, three days (two full days?) on yakushima...(I did five there), and then another day back to Kagoshima. it's doable, but it is definitely off the beaten path. if you're in like...tokyo, it would take a week or so to do it without going to an airport. if you're in Kyushu with the trains, it's definitely doable.

I have pictures but they are on my old computer on the other side of the world, so sorry, can't share. but just google image some stuff.

I'm shocked if you even see this. did you know coin purses help consolidate money? great information here in the Japan travel thread, really doing God's work everyone

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 27, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Wait...do your wallets not have a coin pocket?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I think I was about a week into my trip before I realized the reason cashiers kept pausing for so long after I handed over my 1000 yen bill was because they kind of expected people to add some coins in to get closer to exact change.

I blew my coworkers mind back in the States when I shared this revelation with him. A few years ago he spent a month in Japan without using change at stores because Murica.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Carrying coins sucks hth

(JFC)

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Coinage is terrible overall, hth

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Wait...do your wallets not have a coin pocket?

Your wallet does...?

The Great Autismo! posted:

if you actually got through all these God-damned nerds talking about coin pockets (JFC), here's my trip report for yakushima.

Okay, but how's their coin purse scene?

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Best way to get Studio Ghibili Museum tickets. Looking for May. Is there a brokerage site or an easy way to get them?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cbear posted:

Best way to get Studio Ghibili Museum tickets. Looking for May. Is there a brokerage site or an easy way to get them?

Gotta purchase them through Lawson, the jtb or whatever website stopped offering them. May tickets go on sale April 10th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006
My waifu and I are planning a trip to Japan for 4/5 nights, sometime in the last couple of weeks of April. We'll be traveling with our 9 month old baby, is there anywhere especially suitable, or anything we need to consider in particular?

I know realistically we won't be doing too much, so somewhere we can just bumble around easily for a few days and see some sights is all we need. My waifu wants "less city and more authentic Japan", so somewhere a little less developed but still developed enough to make getting around with a baby not too difficult would be perfect. Does such a place exist?