Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dizz posted:

good. all bad pokemon should be banned forever

I agree, no pokemon should be banned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Red Metal posted:

It's a move tutor move in USUM

Hence 'got' in the past tense. Until the release of USUM, smogon was recommending Defog on a million things that you essentially couldn't get it on in-game without going back and digging up an old game that you might not have bought at the time.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
What's the easiest way to get a Dawn Stone in ORAS?

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Breaking NEws: Smogon has moved Monpoke to the banned tier

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

Have you found all the ones in game yet? If not I think you need to do secret super training to get it as one of the prizes.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Flopsy posted:

Have you found all the ones in game yet? If not I think you need to do secret super training to get it as one of the prizes.

I haven't even found one, my friend. I've barely played this game before.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dabir posted:

Hence 'got' in the past tense. Until the release of USUM, smogon was recommending Defog on a million things that you essentially couldn't get it on in-game without going back and digging up an old game that you might not have bought at the time.

It's a good thing the battle simulator they use doesn't have that problem then

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dan Didio posted:

get about halfway through the second island to unlock poke pelago, and then upgrade the cave until you can search for evolution stones i can't read

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I just grinded all the way through to the Super Training right before the one that you can get a Dawn Stone from and then my 3DS decided there wasn't a game card inserted and now I'm basically back at the start, so I think I'm probably done.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BlazetheInferno posted:

I've said it a million times, and I'll say it a million more.

I HATE Stealth Rock and what it did to the competitive game. There is an upsetting number of pokemon out there whose usability tanks through the ground purely as a result of that one move.

Gamefreak either needs to take away Stealth Rocks' benefitting from type advantages, or they need to add a bunch more entry hazards that benefit from them. Hell, add a restriction of only being able to have one type-damaging entry hazard deployed at a time to prevent people stacking a bunch of them if you need to. But Stealth Rocks needs to have something done to balance it out. Having Stealth Rocks as the only entry hazard that benefits from type advantage for damage is simply unfair to stuff weak to rock.

Also it should have a 5 turn duration like weather.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Dawn Stone is what happens when Dawn from DPPt marries Steven Stone

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

less laughter posted:

Dawn Stone is what happens when Dawn from DPPt marries Steven Stone

That dudes like 20+ years older than her

gross

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zore posted:

That dudes like 20+ years older than her

gross

I don't think Steven is nearly as old as that but it's really creepy anyways since he's still most likely an adult and Dawn's a pre-teen, yeah.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I didn't say she marries him at 10 you weirdos, she waits with marriage until she's 30 and done with the bachelorette life

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Dabir posted:

Smogon still recommends Wish Blissey, a Pokemon which evolves from a relatively obscure event from over 15 years ago where you couldn't fudge natures and it was extremely tedious to reset for good IVs

Anyways, I'm one of those anti-Stealth Rock people but I think it would be hilarious to have Stealth Icicles to see how much standard stuff would lose viability before they realize the entire thing is retarded.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Stealth Punches. Toss a bunch of spring loaded boxing gloves around.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Stealth Oil. When you send out a pokemon, it has a chance to slip into a wall and go back into its pokeball, forcing a random other pokemon to come out instead.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Whalley posted:

Stealth Oil. When you send out a pokemon, it has a chance to slip into a wall and go back into its pokeball, forcing a random other pokemon to come out instead.

Ohhh, that'd be fun

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Whalley posted:

I kinda wish there was a randomizer for tossing out pokemon

Jigglypuff GO! Oh wait, I guess Bidoof

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Don't do this please :)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I think, just to be a piece of poo poo, I'm gunna start making sure all my pokemon in doubles battles have Spikes. I didn't realize that spikes deals more damage the more times it's used (up to three times); suddenly I'm annoyed I don't use it more.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

RatHat posted:

Also it should have a 5 turn duration like weather.

Yeah I think this is the real issue with stealth rock. It's too good for too little setup. You need three layers of spikes to match super effective SR damage, and also spikes is negated by flying types and levitate and magic guard (while SR is only negated by magic guard). AND 4x effective SR is unmatched by spikes. AND basically everything learns stealth rock, unlike spikes, toxic spikes, or sticky web.

SR either needs multiple turns of setup, or a duration period, or something.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Golden Gael posted:

Smogon still recommends Wish Blissey, a Pokemon which evolves from a relatively obscure event from over 15 years ago where you couldn't fudge natures and it was extremely tedious to reset for good IVs

Yeah, because Smogon works with the simulator. All things being considered, that would be a good and viable set for Blissey if you can get it.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah I think this is the real issue with stealth rock. It's too good for too little setup. You need three layers of spikes to match super effective SR damage, and also spikes is negated by flying types and levitate and magic guard (while SR is only negated by magic guard). AND 4x effective SR is unmatched by spikes. AND basically everything learns stealth rock, unlike spikes, toxic spikes, or sticky web.

SR either needs multiple turns of setup, or a duration period, or something.
SR should be shattered after it hits something. If you don't have a poke that can do so without taking damage, you're hosed by it - but only once.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

I just grinded all the way through to the Super Training right before the one that you can get a Dawn Stone from and then my 3DS decided there wasn't a game card inserted and now I'm basically back at the start, so I think I'm probably done.

Unfortunately I think that might be your best option, the only other one is either given to you by Wally or there's a 5% chance you'll get it in a rematch fight with the weird sisters on Sea Mauville.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Flopsy posted:

Unfortunately I think that might be your best option, the only other one is either given to you by Wally or there's a 5% chance you'll get it in a rematch fight with the weird sisters on Sea Mauville.

On the bright side you can soft reset before the rematch and do it over and over again until you get the item. I remember doing that with another battle that was the only way to get a Destiny Knot, in that same area if I recall. Tedious but ultimately not that hard.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think Steven is nearly as old as that but it's really creepy anyways since he's still most likely an adult and Dawn's a pre-teen, yeah.

It's anime ages. He's probably only like 14.

Dan Didio posted:

I hate it when Gamefreak locks some evolution till way too late in the game. Want to use Glaceon in in DPPt? That Ice Rock is all the way at the end of the game. Aegiaslash in XY? The only "normal" way to get a Dusk Stone is in a post game dungeon. Hope you like spending a thousand hours playing touch screen mini games! Crabominable? near the drat Elite Four.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
You can get Crabominable much earlier in USUM

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

galagazombie posted:

It's anime ages. He's probably only like 14.

I hate it when Gamefreak locks some evolution till way too late in the game. Want to use Glaceon in in DPPt? That Ice Rock is all the way at the end of the game. Aegiaslash in XY? The only "normal" way to get a Dusk Stone is in a post game dungeon. Hope you like spending a thousand hours playing touch screen mini games! Crabominable? near the drat Elite Four.

Spirtomb

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's not an evolution, though. I get the frustration, you find a cool buddy at the start of the game and you have to carry it through the entire game in its unevolved state, even though everything else reached its final form ages ago, because game freak decided the ice zone is the final level or whatever. It's sitting there, reminding you that it's not everything it could be yet.

E: And yes, I know Smogon use the simulator, but their rules get more and more arbitrary over time. They're supposed to be simulating the actual games, that's why you can't do something like putting a Dry Skin Helioptile in a BW-style perma-rain team. The actual games had a cutoff at gen 6, Smogon should have too. In fact, I reckon they should have a rolling distance cutoff - if it takes two or more transfers to get something into the game whose ruleset you're using, it's not legal.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 27, 2019

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Vikavolt was even worse in OG SM..

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dabir posted:

That's not an evolution, though. I get the frustration, you find a cool buddy at the start of the game and you have to carry it through the entire game in its unevolved state, even though everything else reached its final form ages ago, because game freak decided the ice zone is the final level or whatever. It's sitting there, reminding you that it's not everything it could be yet.

E: And yes, I know Smogon use the simulator, but their rules get more and more arbitrary over time. They're supposed to be simulating the actual games, that's why you can't do something like putting a Dry Skin Helioptile in a BW-style perma-rain team. The actual games had a cutoff at gen 6, Smogon should have too. In fact, I reckon they should have a rolling distance cutoff - if it takes two or more transfers to get something into the game whose ruleset you're using, it's not legal.

It seems weird to be like "they're trying to emulate things you can do in the game", and then suggest an arbitrary limit

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's not germane to Stealth Rocks but I would like to know why competitive Pokemon has bizarre tiers based on metagame analysis and no points-based balancing like virtually every other (non-card) game where you select what to use from a list of game assets. Seeing as the phone game and now Let's Go assign Pokemon overall power numbers, there is probably a framework for balancing lists in place there that just needs to be grown. Every miniatures game in existence does this.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

It's not germane to Stealth Rocks but I would like to know why competitive Pokemon has bizarre tiers based on metagame analysis and no points-based balancing like virtually every other (non-card) game where you select what to use from a list of game assets. Seeing as the phone game and now Let's Go assign Pokemon overall power numbers, there is probably a framework for balancing lists in place there that just needs to be grown. Every miniatures game in existence does this.

Usage with banlists is likely a better meta than some points based thing, idk. Smogon is not an official Nintendo thing, AFAIK no one is really getting paid

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
pikachu's cheeks contain its sexual organs

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

maybe modern pikachu but i don't think fat pikachu could pull it off

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Golden Gael posted:

Anyways, I'm one of those anti-Stealth Rock people but I think it would be hilarious to have Stealth Icicles to see how much standard stuff would lose viability before they realize the entire thing is retarded.

Stealth Hive.

Your opponent throws out a Pokemon and suddenly NO NOT THE BEES!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Whalley posted:

SR should be shattered after it hits something. If you don't have a poke that can do so without taking damage, you're hosed by it - but only once.

This is actually a really good idea! Think about it, it'll add extra play into the game since you have to decide what Pokemon to eat up the hit. Well, that's actually not any different than it is now. But it would open up all the Pokemon that are unusable because stealth rock exists.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Vandar posted:

Stealth Hive.

Your opponent throws out a Pokemon and suddenly NO NOT THE BEES!

God I wish this was a real move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

thetoughestbean posted:

God I wish this was a real move

It is: Beedrill in Super Smash Bros 64.