Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Let me put it this way; known shithead Max Landis has a story where his father, John Landis (also known shithead) asks him a question:

"How do you kill a vampire?"

Known Shithead Max Landis responds, "Sunlight, garlic, wooden stake."

Elder Shithead Landis shakes his head and says "vampires don't exist, you can kill them however the gently caress you want."

Shitheadidness aside, it's a really illustrative point of the nature of storytelling over semantics, and pretty much how Peele has approached the Tethered.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Fart City posted:

Alan, why is the hotel in The Shining haunted?

Ghosts? You don't have to explain ghosts, they're supernatural. But Us gives us a natural explanation, probably the least interesting explanation while also simultaneously giving us too much and too little explanation. Some like it, some don't. I don't have much more to say so I'll just end it here!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Alan_Shore posted:

Ghosts? You don't have to explain ghosts, they're supernatural. But Us gives us a natural explanation, probably the least interesting explanation while also simultaneously giving us too much and too little explanation. Some like it, some don't. I don't have much more to say so I'll just end it here!

Please explain verbatim what you think the explanation in Us was

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Just because you don't see a thing doesn't mean it doesn't exist- we don't see whatever bathroom facilities they had, they probably had some, judging by the rest of the facility it wasn't too pleasant.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Lol listen, it's just one more thing added to the mountain of plot holes. Like I'd forgive the rabbit thing if that was the only problem, but with everything else it's just another example of how little thought was put into everything.

I didn't even think about the bathroom situation but it's true! Did they have working toilets? Why was everything so clean?

The way to fix the whole film is get rid of the government thing, make it a creepy cavern, make the tethered shadow people or something and just don't loving explain it, job done

Lol this poo poo is dumb.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Alan_Shore posted:

The way to fix the whole film is get rid of the government thing, make it a creepy cavern, make the tethered shadow people or something and just don't loving explain it, job done

This just guts the entire thing though, because the idea is, this is something that society made. This is a thing that we, as a country, did that we're getting punished for. We created an underclass, imprisoned and abandoned them, and now they're getting back at us.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Alan_Shore posted:

legit, non-dick question: what is your read of that explanation? Like what do you think it says?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Alan_Shore posted:

I didn't even think about the bathroom situation but it's true! Did they have working toilets? Why was everything so clean?

Yes they had toilets.

They cleaned up after themselves.

Better?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ghostwritingduck posted:

Ending spoilers:

Its interesting the number of people who accept Red’s explanation of clones despite it contradicting most of the evidence in the film. For those of you that are accepting her explanation, but don’t think it makes sense, why are you accepting it? One of the earlier scenes has a character talking about the government conspiracy to use fluoride for mind control. That’s evidence that we’re not intended to blindly accept a government conspiracy explanation, unless you believe fluoride in the water actually results in mind control.

I don't have a particular justification for it, but I really like the notion that, like most conspiracy theories, it simply doesn't hold up to the light of day. It's outlandish and full of holes, but clearly some of it is true, because we're seeing it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

this must be the worst movie to watch with a group of people. More than half will be complaining about stupid poo poo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Paperback Writer posted:

this must be the worst movie to watch with a group of people. More than half will be complaining about stupid poo poo

Saw this with a group of people and can confirm.

I have complaints about this movie but they’re about how the themes undermine and reverse themselves, not “but how do the rabbits eat!?!?”

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

davidspackage posted:

I don't have a particular justification for it, but I really like the notion that, like most conspiracy theories, it simply doesn't hold up to the light of day. It's outlandish and full of holes, but clearly some of it is true, because we're seeing it.

I also like this mixed approach as it allows the message to still be valid while having a less rough experience with the surface level story. I think the problem is mostly with the way standard Hollywood movies are structured, AKA "If a character says something it must be true cause they are mouthpieces for the plot exposition" and "You have to include an explanation, otherwise the general public will be confused". Doubly so for genres like sci-fi, horror and action, where the general explanation for something unexplained or raising questions is "it's just a dumb movie, don't think too hard about it".

This is not the case with Peele, of course. But you mix all these "horror expectations" together and suddenly Red's monologue is the author explaining the story for the general audience. And it doesn't make sense because horror movie have ton of plot holes.

But of course it makes even more sense for Red not to know, to have build a story for herself - and that's a platform to deliver the movie theme, cause she's a person of both "worlds" - the surface and the underground; the wealthy and the outcasts of our society.

Billy Pilgrim
Dec 20, 2005
Poo-tee-weet?
Grimey Drawer
About Red's voice, I took it as her throat being damaged when she was choked by Adelaide before the switch, maybe coupled with her not actually speaking much for 33 years.
I have no idea if that's how voices work and thinking back I'm now doubting my memory that she was choked, that did happen right?
Does this make sense or is there some other explanation, besides creepy horror movie monster has creepy voice?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I think that was confirmed by Peele himself.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

sounded like someone who hasn’t drank water for 30 years.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Billy Pilgrim posted:

About Red's voice, I took it as her throat being damaged when she was choked by Adelaide before the switch, maybe coupled with her not actually speaking much for 33 years.
I have no idea if that's how voices work and thinking back I'm now doubting my memory that she was choked, that did happen right?
Does this make sense or is there some other explanation, besides creepy horror movie monster has creepy voice?

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/lupita-nyongo-us-voice-robert-f-kennedy-jr-1202052716/

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Billy Pilgrim posted:

that in conjunction with remembering the scene from the trailer where the clone strangles the original girl in the hall of mirrors allowed me figure out the twist early on.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This just guts the entire thing though, because the idea is, this is something that society made. This is a thing that we, as a country, did that we're getting punished for. We created an underclass, imprisoned and abandoned them, and now they're getting back at us.

yeah it's pretty important. the rabbits are also a reference to it being an experiment.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 27, 2019

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
lmao the thread continues to perform astounding feats of mental gymnastics to hand-wave away the very clear flaws in this movie. "Don't think about it too hard - also the exposition isn't actually exposition". I think this movie is coasting on a lot of the goodwill from Get Out and I don't think it's going to have anywhere near the staying power as that film. Also, it's a horror movie without any scares.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
The movie has flaws but theyre a lot of stupid people in this thread as well.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

The movie has flaws but theyre a lot of stupid people in this thread as well.

i dunno - looking at your posts in this thread, you seem to have some kind of weird issue with alan_shore but they've brought up some decent points. maybe don't be so defensive about the movie?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not really the guy you want to cite.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

admittedly, I am unfamiliar with the cined cast of characters

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thom and the Heads posted:

i dunno - looking at your posts in this thread, you seem to have some kind of weird issue with alan_shore but they've brought up some decent points. maybe don't be so defensive about the movie?

They've brought up some really dumb points too...we don't get a full loving tour of the underground facility because how they feed the rabbits, where the lab facilities and bathrooms are are irrelevant to the story. We don't see inside EVERY door in the halls that we do see, who's to say what's in those? It would be boring as all hell and take away from the story to give the audience a lengthy tour of the facility and how it works.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

anyone who thinks that the tethered should have been explained by being supernatural "shadow people" clearly watched the point fly directly above their head and pass them by

like I'm not gonna say the movie doesn't have flaws but the fact that the tethered were created by a man-made experiment is key to the whole metaphor of the tethered representing an underclass, because poverty and racism and poo poo doesn't happen through magic, it happens through people.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can anyone honestly say that explanations for all the underground stuff would have made the movie scarier?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

People like you made the live action Beauty and the Beast a thing.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

People like you made the live action Beauty and the Beast a thing.

i guess man.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

DC Murderverse posted:

anyone who thinks that the tethered should have been explained by being supernatural "shadow people" clearly watched the point fly directly above their head and pass them by

like I'm not gonna say the movie doesn't have flaws but the fact that the tethered were created by a man-made experiment is key to the whole metaphor of the tethered representing an underclass, because poverty and racism and poo poo doesn't happen through magic, it happens through people.

It's a terrible metaphor. Poor people aren't cultureless psychopaths, they aren't kept secret from the rest of society, and they weren't created by a government black op. I liked the movie but that poo poo was bad and dumb.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Poor people are created by the government, actually.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Typical Pubbie posted:

It's a terrible metaphor. Poor people aren't cultureless psychopaths, they aren't kept secret from the rest of society, and they weren't created by a government black op. I liked the movie but that poo poo was bad and dumb.

Allegory, not metaphor. You can't draw a single parallel to demonization of the other, marginalization of lower income plights, and structural inequality in government? Does there need to be a literal underground lab for the Tuskegee experiment to be a thing, for example?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Allegory, not metaphor. You can't draw a single parallel to demonization of the other, marginalization of lower income plights, and structural inequality in government? Does there need to be a literal underground lab for the Tuskegee experiment to be a thing, for example?

No I can't because the family isn't aware tethers exist. They were created in secret and live in secret. This isn't class war, it's the invasion of the mole men but get this, the mole men are poor people.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Typical Pubbie posted:

No I can't because the family isn't aware tethers exist. They were created in secret and live in secret. This isn't class war, it's the invasion of the mole men but get this, the mole men are poor people.

Honest question, did you actually know what the Tuskegee Experiment was? Could you describe it in short?

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Honest question, are you serious?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Great movie, would have been perfect if we'd seen the tethers using a bathroom and perhaps explain the intricate details of how they poop and pee.

A Fancy Hat fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 27, 2019

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Typical Pubbie posted:

Why would they have to know they exist?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

poor people do score lower on tests and for a variety of reasons - shittier schools due to school funding being tied to tax base, worse nutrition, and increased chance of lead. and yeah it was pretty much created either from the top down via things like redlining or the people it wasn't affecting ignoring it or not caring (white flight) and voting for the people that exacerbate the problem. america also has the lowest social mobility in the developed world so it's nearly impossible to "escape" the situation for those trapped in it.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Typical Pubbie posted:

Rich people are only aware that poor people exist when they are in the way, not because they actually exist.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

anyone who thinks that the tethered should have been explained by being supernatural "shadow people" clearly watched the point fly directly above their head and pass them

See that's the thing, I'm not talking about the "point" or the theme or the allegory. I'm talking about the story. The plot. The rabbits and bathrooms don't matter, that's just silly, but they're small points in the grand scheme which is that the whole story makes NO SENSE. For example:

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can anyone honestly say that explanations for all the underground stuff would have made the movie scarier?

No, it wouldn't. But we do get one. And we get an explanation that is so bad and muddled that some people are arguing in this thread that it must be a lie because it's so stupid. But the film gives you no reason to doubt that monologue, so it must be true.

And if we don't need an explanation, why have that monologue at all? Because it's the backstory. And the backstory is nonsensical.

And some people like it and some don't. I don't. It took me completely out of the moment because I was immediately struck by how little sense it made. I wasn't thinking "how clever, the rabbits represent Alice in Wonderland! / the disenfranchised are created by the government just like in real life!" I was thinking "so the government cloned millions of people then just left them there with the door open and millions of red jumpsuits and a gold scissors? Also she didn't just... leave?"

I don't even think it's pedantic at that point, it's just nonsensical and at least shadow people or whatever would be unexplained and mysterious. Government clones is the least interesting direction they could have taken it for a horror movie in my opinion (it is supposed to be a horror)

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

If you explain the exact same things in 100 different ways, you’re not making a point. You’re just being insufferable. We get it, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I was thinking "so the government cloned millions of people then just left them there with the door open and millions of red jumpsuits and a gold scissors? Also she didn't just... leave?"
She organized an army and would have been some kind of god-queen if she didn't let her hubris get in the way which I think makes for a better movie than just leaving.