Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Additionally, feel free to rule any UA classes however you want since they are poorly written and haven't seen an editor, so you're pretty much making up most of it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

P.d0t posted:

So a player in one of the games I'm in is looking to start running his own campaign, but sort of has it in his head that 3 players is the ideal number (and yes I've talked to him about that; he might be consider allowing 4.)

Anyways, what'd be a good 3-man party setup, to cover off most of the bases? I feel like Paladin is a strong contender as a hybrid tank, with either Cleric or Bard as hybrid main-healers, but what'd be an ideal 3rd? Wizard? Druid? Sorcerer (particularly as the party face, if you don't have a Bard)?

Coming back around to this, apparently the other 2/3rds of the party looks like this:

Wood Elf, Rogue (archery focus)
skill profs: acrobatics, persuasion, stealth, sleight of hand, deception, perception

Dragonborn, Cleric (life domain, with 14s in STR and CHA)
skill profs: insight, perception, medicine, religion

So I feel like I should make something tanky, but I don't want to be anything bland, or just really bad at non-combat.
I'm partial to Eldritch Knight, but Bladesinger would make it easier to get the INT skills covered (which the party is sorely lacking.)
Should I be looking at Moon Druid? Or just say "gently caress it" and be a Bard?
Would it be at all fun or effective to press a Ranger or Monk into the role?

I'm pretty ok with playing just about anything, I'm just having analysis paralysis at this point.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Go Bladesinger or Paladin.

Also, that Dragonborn should really have 15 Strength so they can wear Heavy Armor.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

P.d0t posted:

sort of has it in his head that 3 players is the ideal number

Good God, why?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I dunno if its IDEAL but it's the low limit of what I think is good. I'd say 3-6 players is the 'good' range, with 4-5 being ideal imho.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

e: nm

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Games are better for 2 people then more than 4, 3 is the sweet spot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

In the 90s, before his first ever game, one of my friends wrote "Conan Rambo" in the name box, asked what alignment meant, listened as far as "like personality and political..." then went "ok cool" and wrote Conan/Rambo there too, getting it on a level I've only ever seen a handful of times.
Late, but I love this. Whenever I explain alignment to people I say as far as I'm concerned you can write anything in there from "Lawful Good" to "The Terminator".

Not much silly names in my group, but in one game I named all the major elf NPCs after kitchen things. Tanduril, Samdovar and Suvid. If anyone got it, they tactfully refrained from encouraging me by acknowledging it.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Late, but I love this. Whenever I explain alignment to people I say as far as I'm concerned you can write anything in there from "Lawful Good" to "The Terminator".

Not much silly names in my group, but in one game I named all the major elf NPCs after kitchen things. Tanduril, Samdovar and Suvid. If anyone got it, they tactfully refrained from encouraging me by acknowledging it.

I’m an idiot because I still don’t get those.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I got "sous vide" but not the other 2.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Tandoori? Those are a stretch.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

A samovar is a container for heating and dispensing liquids, basically a Ye Olde Coffee Machine

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
For contrast I had a character in a non-DnD named Pan Fry who was a chinese food cooking ninja-type guy. This is actually a totally legit name with historical context and I plotte. out a whole thing explaining the top secret food assassin school.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Malpais Legate posted:

A samovar is a container for heating and dispensing liquids, basically a Ye Olde Coffee Machine

Going to name my next Gnome character Cappo Cheenomaecher.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go all in with “Matcha Missile”, “Nappucino” instead of sleep, etc.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How broken would it be to give a shadow monk an ability similar to duplicity from a cleric. The thing having 1 HP, and when you teleport you can leave a clone behind(number of uses a day scaling like channel divinity). Clone shares your action economy. You can spend a bonus action + 1 ki point to swap locations with your clone.
I'm thinking of running this by my DM as a use for downtime he gives out to learn. Any thoughts/ better ways to balance?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

One of the best ones I've seen was "...of the Royal Navy".

Also "Get money smoke trees", but not in the same game.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's some wizard spells up through level 5 that don't show up in every wizard's list but are still fun or good? (fwiw, I don't think DM would be down with Magic Mouth programming)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

tfw you say 6d6 damage and they think you said 66 damage

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's some wizard spells up through level 5 that don't show up in every wizard's list but are still fun or good? (fwiw, I don't think DM would be down with Magic Mouth programming)

I hardly ever see anyone with Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, but I feel like it's one of those "there's almost certainly a better option" type spells that's probably more fun/versatile than it looks at a glance.

Someone who was about to start fighting you and now they're trapped in a hamster ball while you go "look, just calm down, I bet we can compromise..." is a pretty great visual, anyway.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

I hardly ever see anyone with Otiluke's Resilient Sphere, but I feel like it's one of those "there's almost certainly a better option" type spells that's probably more fun/versatile than it looks at a glance.

Someone who was about to start fighting you and now they're trapped in a hamster ball while you go "look, just calm down, I bet we can compromise..." is a pretty great visual, anyway.

My wizard, while fighting a Yeti on a hazardous mountain path, put him in a sphere and drop kicked it off the side of the mountain.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Go Bladesinger or Paladin.

Also, that Dragonborn should really have 15 Strength so they can wear Heavy Armor.

I mean, I'd go so far as to say "that Dragonborn shouldn't be a cleric," but I apparently am a filthy power-gamer.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Remora posted:

Good God, why?

yeah I don't know why 3 players, other than "new DM, already feeling overwhelmed enough."

He did ask me my thoughts on the ideal number (5, and promptly ignored it) but my basic thought is mostly in-line with what people said earlier in the thread. Specifically:
  • a tanky dude
  • a main healer (i.e. Healing Word class)
  • a ritual caster
  • ranged DPS (boom mage, crossbow expert/sharpshooter, etc.)
  • melee DPS (likely paladin or battle master)

...and probably one or more of those should also double as a "skill monkey" (i.e. probably a Bard, but maybe a Rogue-dip character)
But yeah, with 5 people, you also have a better chance of covering off all the skills, since there are 5 ability scores with skills tied to them.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What's the joke with Tiffany?

I see you're smelting just as fast as you can
Making swords and gauntlets for my hands
Trying to forge a shield into the night
And also something something something and we tumble to the ground and why haven't you interrupted me yet goddamn.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

P.d0t posted:

I mean, I'd go so far as to say "that Dragonborn shouldn't be a cleric," but I apparently am a filthy power-gamer.

Yeah, I'd suggest using Lizardfolk stats unless they really, really want that breath weapon for some reason.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CaPensiPraxis posted:

For contrast I had a character in a non-DnD named Pan Fry who was a chinese food cooking ninja-type guy. This is actually a totally legit name with historical context and I plotte. out a whole thing explaining the top secret food assassin school.
Mandoline the Blood Elf

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

P.d0t posted:

yeah I don't know why 3 players, other than "new DM, already feeling overwhelmed enough."

He did ask me my thoughts on the ideal number (5, and promptly ignored it) but my basic thought is mostly in-line with what people said earlier in the thread. Specifically:
  • a tanky dude
  • a ritual caster

...and probably one or more of those should also double as a "skill monkey" (i.e. probably a Bard, but maybe a Rogue-dip character)
But yeah, with 5 people, you also have a better chance of covering off all the skills, since there are 5 ability scores with skills tied to them.
You can get the ritual caster with one feat on a 4 man team with an alt human really. Also a rogue dipping in something else(probably bard) is better for more skills and more expertises.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Mar 27, 2019

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

P.d0t posted:

• a tanky dude
  • a ritual caster

Beyond trying to cover roles (arguably unnecessary in 5e, and an entirely separate discussion), 4-5 players means you can still run a good session if 1-2 are missing.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So, uh... L1 characters are kinda fragile, huh? I finally decided to make a proper character in the hope of getting to play a game sometime soon (a Paladin), then tried to get a handle on the combat system by having her fight two trash monsters (kobolds).

She died in three rounds after scoring a single hit. Okaaaay... I don't remember even BX being that lethal at L1 (except for wizards in melee). Kobolds - and pretty much every other enemy in the MM - getting at least +2 to damage was the killer; what the hell was the reasoning behind that decision?

(I know that in a real game there would have been other PCs in the fight, but still it was a bit :stare: to see a character with high AC and HP still get ganked so quickly. Is this the 5e experience in a nutshell?)

Edit: jeez, and I just realised I was working out her damage bonus wrong - I thought you added the proficiency bonus as well as the ability modifier (which would have given her +5), but nope. So she wouldn't even have scored her single kill! Why do kobolds get that +2 when they shouldn't get an STR bonus?

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 27, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
while it's true that level 1 characters are fragile, that test of a single character versus two monsters is also not very representative of what happens at a table, either, since those kobolds could just as well go down without a fight if initiative goes your way and everyone gets in their licks before the monsters do, or if the monsters don't attack the same target, and so on

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Payndz posted:

Why do kobolds get that +2 when they shouldn't get an STR bonus?
They use daggers (finesse weapons) and slings (ranged) and have dex 15 (+2). So they get +2 to damage.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Payndz posted:

So, uh... L1 characters are kinda fragile, huh? I finally decided to make a proper character in the hope of getting to play a game sometime soon (a Paladin), then tried to get a handle on the combat system by having her fight two trash monsters (kobolds).

She died in three rounds after scoring a single hit. Okaaaay... I don't remember even BX being that lethal at L1 (except for wizards in melee). Kobolds - and pretty much every other enemy in the MM - getting at least +2 to damage was the killer; what the hell was the reasoning behind that decision?

(I know that in a real game there would have been other PCs in the fight, but still it was a bit :stare: to see a character with high AC and HP still get ganked so quickly. Is this the 5e experience in a nutshell?)

Its the dumbass advantage system loving you over with kobolds. goblins aswell can gently caress over level 1s with being able to disengage and hide each turn.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Yeah if you want a more honest 'test', make a couple more characters and throw them at a few kobolds. Pack Tactics is kicking your rear end, as Rat Mom said.

Level 1 is stupidly fragile. I'm going to be running Rappan Athuk, a very old-school sort of module which rewards being careful and knowing when to flee. So what that means is there's probably gonna be a LOT of very dead Level 1 characters in my local adventure league-styled community thing.

I kind of think it needs a slightly more deadly game though, honestly. We're getting to a point where players hop into one particular game to get some really stupid items/boons at low levels and most DMs just don't seem to have the nerve to tell people they can't use the stuff. RA has some strong items, -later on-, but they kind of balance out by the place trying to kill you.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

gradenko_2000 posted:

while it's true that level 1 characters are fragile, that test of a single character versus two monsters is also not very representative of what happens at a table, either, since those kobolds could just as well go down without a fight if initiative goes your way and everyone gets in their licks before the monsters do, or if the monsters don't attack the same target, and so on

they are cr 1/8 so in a average fight they would be 2 per party member, and usually more. they could have all focused down the paladin on their initiative, which usually happens when a kobold dashes up and the rest take out their slings

Edit: I say average fight, but adjusted xp would make it harder. What I mean is this is the usual fight they expect level 1's to do multiple times in the modules

Proud Rat Mom fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 27, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Also, I do want to point out that while getting knocked unconscious can happen easily, actually, literally dying is a bit harder, per the death save rules

As long as one person survives, everyone is more likely to stabilize than not, especially if you have some kind of means of direct healing available to you

The tricky part is that if everyone gets knocked out, that can sort of lead to the conclusion that everyone gets coup de grace'd or whatever and that's all she wrote

Of course, as the DM, you wouldn't necessarily have to make things turn out like that, but broader point is that this outcome is even more likely to happen with a single PC versus 2 monsters

Having said all this, I would still absolutely give everyone +10 max HP, or their base Con score in additional max HP, but I'd like to get it right.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Nothing specific, but when your name/description and the job mismatch with expectations, customers tend to tell the same lovely jokes.

My baclground NPC format is (usually) name, short description and/or history, current mood and/or something they might say. Start with any of those and the others are sometimes just obvious to me. Eg,

Captain Timms looks like he used to moonlight as a siege weapon before he got old. He is two weeks from retirement and he is sick of your poo poo.

Mother Rosie is a plump lady with black hair strwaked with greys. She is followed by her cats. She would happily gossip all day but she has to get the washing in.

Oh thank god. Took me ages to get to sleep last night cos i was trying (and failing) to think of Tiffany puns.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Thanks, y'all. I'm seeing now why a lot of people think you should start at L3; enough HP to survive more than two modest hits, plus my pally would have got her Smite, spells, Oath stuff, a big enough healing pool to make Lay on Hands worth a drat, etc.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Proud Rat Mom posted:

they are cr 1/8 so in a average fight they would be 2 per party member, and usually more. they could have all focused down the paladin on their initiative, which usually happens when a kobold dashes up and the rest take out their slings

Edit: I say average fight, but adjusted xp would make it harder. What I mean is this is the usual fight they expect level 1's to do multiple times in the modules

CR is garbage that does not take into account abilities like Pack Tactics. Seriously, special abilities are not factored into CR. It's bad, don't use it.

Also, action economy and focus fire are things. Run it again with four paladins and eight kobolds.

Edit: thought you were the original questioner, my bad. Phoneposting is a plague.

Remora fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 27, 2019

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Even per the wonky DMG exp rules, 2 kobolds vs one lvl 1 character is a deadly encounter. Not sure why you’d expect something else.

That’s just a bad test for a lot of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Payndz posted:

Thanks, y'all. I'm seeing now why a lot of people think you should start at L3; enough HP to survive more than two modest hits, plus my pally would have got her Smite, spells, Oath stuff, a big enough healing pool to make Lay on Hands worth a drat, etc.

For what it's worth, I almost always try to knock a player down in one of the first sessions, just to remind everyone that while the game can be dangerous, being unconscious is not dead. A little bit of healing goes a long way, since it'll wake up a downed player to get their retaliatory strike in. By the mid levels the party is typically very resilient and rarely sees deaths.