Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

:glomp: :cheers:

Please put this in the OP for everyone else too. :ussr:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

This was neat to click through. I never had an official guide, just one of the mini ones from an issue of some game magazine.

Also what the hell is this? That can't seriously be how you say it, right?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wouldn't even pronounce it that way if I was forced at gun point

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

It's gaelic.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Tom Gorman posted:

This was neat to click through. I never had an official guide, just one of the mini ones from an issue of some game magazine.

Yeah, it's Celtic. Or Gaelic or something.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
BM02 is really good.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
FFVII question: Why the gently caress am I fighting a house?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Did it launch a nuke at you?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Castor Poe posted:

You can suplex a train in 6.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Dead Cells is getting new content very soon, with a new trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLz1r_sCeXc

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can suplex a train in 6.

Well it's a ghost train so yeah obviously

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Castor Poe posted:

Because it started it :toughguy:.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

I like chrono cross better than chrono trigger

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I kinda figured among its other problems, Square-Enix is having a massive identity crisis with FFVII that's holding up the remake and possibly the reason there's the bare minimum of FF content in Smash Bros, even if they haven't realised that the spinoff material of FF7 doesn't match up with the original personalities at all and the actual game itself has aged really weirdly compared to usual JRPG pablum.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Jesus gently caress i had this guidebook as a kid. one day it just loving appeared on my bookshelf and nobody knew how. I didn't have the game but I remembered reading it a lot and even knowing about Test 0

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:
Does FF7 really hold up now days? I mean both in the original game and even as a story for a modern remake? Or is it a rose tinted glasses thing?

FF9 was the one I played through in my formative years and I loved it, one of very few jrpgs I played through to the end. Spurred on by a crush on Garnet and the more traditional fantasy setting. But I have no intention of playing it again just like I'd not want to watch old ninja turtles or transformers episodes as I'm sure I'd see all the flaws I missed as a child.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Does FF7 for switch share the same FPS drop in battle that plagues the PC port?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFVII mechanically is dated. Its not terrible, but its obviously dated and if you dont like JRPGs still to this day you arent going to love it.

Story wise its still really good even if it suffers from a one two punch of a poor translation and people ironically doing the thing with their memories of the characters the games main story is about and remembering a much crappier more hamfisted array of characters and story because it conforms to a more comfortable narrative.

Edit: the ports have all the same bugs, including the music restarting which is just a crime.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

People remember Cloud as having Squall's personality, Tifa as having Selfie's, and Aeris as having Rinoa's.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

People remember Cloud as having Squall's personality, Tifa as having Selfie's, and Aeris as having Rinoa's.

Mainly people at Square Enix :v:.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I kinda figured among its other problems, Square-Enix is having a massive identity crisis with FFVII that's holding up the remake and possibly the reason there's the bare minimum of FF content in Smash Bros, even if they haven't realised that the spinoff material of FF7 doesn't match up with the original personalities at all and the actual game itself has aged really weirdly compared to usual JRPG pablum.

FF7 really does feel like a product of its time. And the attitudes of square has been so different since then.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF7 still has one of the most unique stories I've seen in a game, and one of the best twists (not the obvious one).

It's janky but it's worth looking into from a historical perspective if nothing else.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I picked up Necrodancer in anticipation of Cadence of Hyrule but I am a little confused by it. I get rouge-likes but I feel like I don’t understand what sense of progress I am supposed to be getting. I’m on zone 3 with Cadence and right now it feels more like bashing my head against a wall than anything. I don’t get many diamonds because I usually die quickly. I rescued all the people in zone 2 so I can buy upgrades to start with but I usually die regardless so it feels like a waste. If there’s a dragon on a floor I die like 95% of the time. Should I be grinding easier levels to get diamonds to unlock better equipment/more hearts? Even unlocking better equipment is no guarantee that you will even get it and the starting equipment is so bad I am usually at low health by the time I get a good weapon. Also I don’t really understand the point of the Janitor? Is there an in-game manual I missed?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's a tough game, and learning the patterns is much more important than grinding upgrades.

The janitor is there in case you decide you don't like an item you bought and don't want to find it anymore

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I picked up Necrodancer in anticipation of Cadence of Hyrule but I am a little confused by it. I get rouge-likes but I feel like I don’t understand what sense of progress I am supposed to be getting. I’m on zone 3 with Cadence and right now it feels more like bashing my head against a wall than anything. I don’t get many diamonds because I usually die quickly. I rescued all the people in zone 2 so I can buy upgrades to start with but I usually die regardless so it feels like a waste. If there’s a dragon on a floor I die like 95% of the time. Should I be grinding easier levels to get diamonds to unlock better equipment/more hearts? Even unlocking better equipment is no guarantee that you will even get it and the starting equipment is so bad I am usually at low health by the time I get a good weapon. Also I don’t really understand the point of the Janitor? Is there an in-game manual I missed?

Practice using the Arenamaster. Dragons especially are hard and you need to learn how to circle around them correctly. There are video tutorials if you need it.

The real game mode is All Zone Mode, the individual zones are actually harder because you start with base gear, and base gear + more hearts is not as good as great gear + fewer hearts. The zone modes are more for just some practice, but if you feel like you are banging your head against a wall too much just start doing All Zone Mode and start seeing how far you get. If you make it to Zone 3 it will actually be somewhat easier.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug
Also All Zone Mode has no progression everything is always unlocked. You are expected to get farther in the game by getting better at it. No Dead Cells style perma upgrades really.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every time I am interested in maybe getting a rogue like, people start posting about it and save me from myself

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chin Strap posted:

Practice using the Arenamaster. Dragons especially are hard and you need to learn how to circle around them correctly. There are video tutorials if you need it.

The real game mode is All Zone Mode, the individual zones are actually harder because you start with base gear, and base gear + more hearts is not as good as great gear + fewer hearts. The zone modes are more for just some practice, but if you feel like you are banging your head against a wall too much just start doing All Zone Mode and start seeing how far you get. If you make it to Zone 3 it will actually be somewhat easier.

Do I not need to play through the zones individually to unlock the harder ones? Can I do that in all zones mode? If that’s the case I will just start playing in all zones mode. Makes me nostalgic for the days of the Ancient Cave in Lufia II.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tom Gorman posted:

I guess it dates me on these forums but the first thing I thought when I saw this was “oh, like the SA poster”.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Every time I am interested in maybe getting a rogue like, people start posting about it and save me from myself

I enjoy Nuclear Throne

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

pixaal posted:

Everyone misremembers Cloud as Squall.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do I not need to play through the zones individually to unlock the harder ones? Can I do that in all zones mode? If that’s the case I will just start playing in all zones mode. Makes me nostalgic for the days of the Ancient Cave in Lufia II.

They only make you do that for Zone I. After that it is all available in all zones mode.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah, all zones is just all zones, one after another. It even unlocks the zones you get to for single zone play.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ItBreathes posted:

Yeah, all zones is just all zones, one after another. It even unlocks the zones you get to for single zone play.

Well poo poo.

And all items appear there, even if I haven’t unlocked them in the shop? :psyduck: then what’s the point of the shops?

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

Pillbug

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Well poo poo.

And all items appear there, even if I haven’t unlocked them in the shop? :psyduck: then what’s the point of the shops?

To have a small metaprogression for individual level mode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've got a crazy idea for a game where the levels have been designed in advance and enemies and progression items are placed with this in mind

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I've got a crazy idea for a game where the levels have been designed in advance and enemies and progression items are placed with this in mind

Fortunately for you there are many of those games

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chin Strap posted:

To have a small metaprogression for individual level mode.

Do the hearts and multiplier and extra chests hat I bought count for all zones mode?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Do the hearts and multiplier and extra chests hat I bought count for all zones mode?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golgo13
Jul 27, 2018

A Ring-a-Ding-Ding!

It's a healthy addiction... :sludgepal:

Andrast posted:

Fortunately for you there are many of those games

I would like a level editor designed for Necrodancer, Enter the Gungeon or Darkest Dungeon that could enable people to design a well paced, challenging, story driven game with predetermined drops within the exact same games. Literally the exact same games but without the randomised roguelite side.

If the idie companies would make this a level editing system they won't even have to bother making it themselves.

Of course I have no idea how hard it would be to make a user friendly level editor to n these games.