Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
michigan winters blow, but that kind of heat is even worse. it is known!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

What in the literal goddamn gently caress?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
what a loving terrible snype

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
https://twitter.com/twitersgoodboy/status/1110920823752351749?s=21

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

President Beep posted:

michigan winters blow, but that kind of heat is even worse. it is known!

:wrong:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

St. Louis fucks everything up. Their “pizza” is made with loving cheez food
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Louis-style_pizza

Nothing good ever came from St. Louis or ever will

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Corla Plankun posted:

how long does it take for work travel to go from novel to miserable?

i have worktraveled for conferences a few times and it was a much needed break from my obligations at home and felt pretty nice

it’s the jump from ‘event trip’ to ‘commute’ that makes it miserable

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

are you a reptile?

Apr 7, 2003

Recruiter I haven’t heard from in three weeks just called me back on a job at a bank I thought I was passed over for and copped an attitude because I said I took another job. You didn’t call me or email for three weeks, what did you expect?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i can handle the living in a hotel and not being able to cook my own food and lovely commuting via plane but the part that really hurts is missing out on social stuff back home. friends will reach out to me about poker night or a show or whatever and having to respond, ‘can’t, i’m out of town’ to all of them really really sucks

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

fart simpson posted:

my best business travel was to be on standby for two weeks in london while a company performed a certification test on one of our products. it was urgent so the company put me up in a hotel there for two weeks and i literally couldn’t do my job at all remotely at that time so i just went around london as a tourist for two weeks and had to rent a car for a single day to drive to a test lab and upgrade some software on our product. all expenses paid.

yeah my best gig was for a defense contractor that couldn’t figure out a security issue and because it was so sensitive i had to fly out to help them in person. i found the checkbox they missed in the first hour i was there the morning i showed up so i got to spend the rest of the week hiking around in colorado springs. that was awesome

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
who got tickets for opening day

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Recruiter I haven’t heard from in three weeks just called me back on a job at a bank I thought I was passed over for and copped an attitude because I said I took another job. You didn’t call me or email for three weeks, what did you expect?

gently caress it go for it anyways. you have more leverage now

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I’ve never interacted with a recruiter, but story after story i read here makes them out to be belligerent assholes. shouldn’t they be a bit more congenial with their contacts?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

are you a reptile?

no but 45º is very good and i like it a lot

go outside sweat your rear end off while Doin Thangs then hop in the ocean and hope you dont step on a stonefish

extremely godtier christmas holiday right there

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

President Beep posted:

I’ve never interacted with a recruiter, but story after story i read here makes them out to be belligerent assholes. shouldn’t they be a bit more congenial with their contacts?

they can get away with treating most workers like garbage and it bleeds over to specialties where they don’t realize the tables are turned

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

nice try, jub jub.

Apr 7, 2003

bump_fn posted:

who got tickets for opening day

This guy *thumbs*

PNC Park is doing a private watch party for the opening game in Cinci for season ticket holders, then we’re driving down to Cinci for the Saturday game and hitting the home opener on Monday. Gonna own

Apr 7, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

gently caress it go for it anyways. you have more leverage now

It was Elliason, they carpet bombed me with ten VMs while I slept this morning. gently caress that

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol that’s not thirsty at all

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Schadenboner posted:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Smdh I bet y'all don't even eat your bagels diagonal cut styld

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prefect posted:

i think i like this and wish i could get it done

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1110916023513948160

:thunk:

this is antisemitic

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

cjs: i got a promotion, a raise, and a bonus

:toot:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Deviant posted:

cjs: i got a promotion, a raise, and a bonus

:toot:
rats off to ya!

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Poniard posted:

Smdh I bet y'all don't even eat your bagels diagonal cut styld

cut them at a 45 degree angle to break up the bagel's connective tissue

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

my promotion/raise/2 levels title bump has been held hostage for over a month by HR despite a c-level exec approving it so that's fun

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

my promotion/raise/2 levels title bump has been held hostage for over a month by HR despite a c-level exec approving it so that's fun
saaaaaaaaame

grats deviant tho because that owns

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

no but 45º is very good and i like it a lot

go outside sweat your rear end off while Doin Thangs then hop in the ocean and hope you dont step on a stonefish

extremely godtier christmas holiday right there

dang 45c is pretty hot

what's your upper limit? like have you experienced a temperature where you thought "gently caress, i do not like how hot this is"?

It was Elliason, they carpet bombed me with ten VMs while I slept this morning. gently caress that

i bet their hiring process is fucky and/or they had someone fall through and they're desperate now

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/MiaFarrow/status/1110689781829242880

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: My boss is on a sick day but is still emailing us.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Bosses sure are dumb

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Careful Drums posted:

for real though this helped me calm down a lot, tyvm

:) im not a seattle expert, but if you are staying downtown and like beer, expense a dinner at no anchor if you feel up to going out.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Poniard posted:

Bosses sure are dumb

Even worse is it was one of those emails where the VP emailed the Directors, who then forward it to their teams. My boss usually does this forwarding with a simple message of "FYI." One time, one of these emails went through like four levels of management before it got to me. A bonus on this one is that the VP Bcc'ed all of us anyway, so my boss didn't need to forward it at all!

But seriously, what a bad example my boss is setting. Technically, since they did work today, they should get their sick day back.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol what a maroon

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

dang 45c is pretty hot

what's your upper limit? like have you experienced a temperature where you thought "gently caress, i do not like how hot this is"?

i bet their hiring process is fucky and/or they had someone fall through and they're desperate now

i remember a day when it was close to 50c and humid as gently caress and hiding indoors but then i experienced near 50c heat in arizona and it was extremely good because it wasnt humid so it really depends. i could probably do hotter as long as i had a shitload of water to drink or a pool nearby depending on how dry it is but in retrospect i could probably have gotten heat stroke/exhaustion very easily

Apr 7, 2003

My experience with people who hoot about how much they love the heat is that the vast majority of them live their lives moving from one air conditioned space to another.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My experience with people who hoot about how much they love the heat is that the vast majority of them live their lives moving from one air conditioned space to another.

a heap of my experience with enjoying high heat is while I'm on the beach so I guess you could say its the same thing

Apr 7, 2003

Spend a week living in a shotgun house in 45 C New Orleans with nothing but a fan before you start talking about how much you love the heat imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
cjs: i have eaten lunch, and now i am sleepy and my belt is too tight :saddowns: