Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
When your product is too good and people forget it exists so they try to get people to buy the old lovely solution they already replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

spasticColon posted:

I'm still gaming on a 2500k@4.2 with an almost 8 year-old P67 board and 8GB DDR3 :corsair: but with an SSD and a GTX1070.:pcgaming:

Right now I'm torn between upgrading next month or waiting a few more months for Zen 2.

Def wait the 2ish months at this point. Even if you don’t end up getting Zen2, the likely price drops on Intel stuff and fire sales on Zen+ will at least save you some coin.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Quoting impossible numbers all the while.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

craig588 posted:

I have some generic USB adapters for 2 WD Reds and 1 Seagate Ironwolf. Nothing name brand, but it works for me with the type of consumer workloads I have. Of course if you have something specific in mind a dedicated box will be better, but to just appear as one big drive that doesn't know anything that I move single multi gigabyte files to it works great.

Edit: I just did a file transfer to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong and it was 160MB/s which seemed high so I went to my hallway and at some point I bought a Drobo for my house and forgot about it. Sorry for the confusion.

A rpi doesn’t even have gigabit Ethernet so uh yeah that’s a pretty massive mistake.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 24, 2019

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

hobbesmaster posted:

A rpi doesn’t Ben have gigabit Ethernet so uh yeah that’s a pretty massive mistake.

The 3b+ does, but it is limited by the USB 2.0 interface again. It can get up to about 300Mbps if nothing else is using the USB bus.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

spasticColon posted:

I'm still gaming on a 2500k@4.2 with an almost 8 year-old P67 board and 8GB DDR3 :corsair: but with an SSD and a GTX1070.:pcgaming:

Right now I'm torn between upgrading next month or waiting a few more months for Zen 2.

:hehe: hell yeah. I'm rocking a 2500k at 4.2, an SSD, and a 980. Does just about everything perfectly still, even vr. When it dies, I'll cry and get the best processor I can for 150ish, and ball out of control on the rest of the build.

At this rate, that'll be ryzen 4 or some nonsense.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cygni posted:

Def wait the 2ish months at this point. Even if you don’t end up getting Zen2, the likely price drops on Intel stuff and fire sales on Zen+ will at least save you some coin.

It's unlikely there'll be substantive price drops on Intel CPUs - they've got a massive shortage going and might not be able to shoulder a big enough drop to make them point-for-point competitive with AMD.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Despite the shortages and some retailer gouging, Intel has kept their MSRPs competitive with AMD, such as the 9400F dropping exactly where it needs to in order to fight the 2600. I think Intel will keep that up if Zen 2 ends up moving the curve, even if those cuts cause shortages again. I also expect the rest of the low end CFL-R parts to come out right with Zen 2.

But we shall see

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
"Shortages" lol. I am sure it will conveniently end just as Zen2 comes out.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

:hehe: hell yeah. I'm rocking a 2500k at 4.2, an SSD, and a 980. Does just about everything perfectly still, even vr. When it dies, I'll cry and get the best processor I can for 150ish, and ball out of control on the rest of the build.

Dudes same here, changes over the years was OS, HDDs, GPU and PSU

Windows 10 Pro (x64), Intel Core i5 2500K @4.4Ghz, ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1), Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 6GB, Kingston 1333Mhz DDR3 16GB (4x4), Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB + Others, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, EVGA Supernova G2 750W, Fractal Design Define R3 (Arctic White)

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
The only thing that's failed the test of time in my i72600 system from 2011 is the drat fractal chassi power button. :saddowns:

(Also the gfx card but a new 1060gtx filled that out nicely)

I fear the ridiculous budget i will rationalize for my next rig.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Threadkiller Dog posted:

I fear the ridiculous budget i will rationalize for my next rig.

I used to get basically whole computers every year so for me getting something really high end didn't make sense. Now my computer is largely unchanged from 2 years ago and not giving me a hard time in anything I run. As long as the rate of technology coming out keeps slowing down I can keep getting high end stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
3470 as of last fall, bitches :pcgaming:

LRADIKAL posted:

LOL, wtf...

Just a reminder everyone, take a physical look at your equipment to make sure that you are talking about the right product.

I can't, I've lost the server.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

I know they've hired like half of the hardware journalists out there already but I wasn't expecting this one.

https://twitter.com/KyleBennett/status/1108020954096193536?s=19

Extremely late but empty quote this post if you remember when Kyle Bennett deleted the [H]ard car forum and then made most of the [H]ard[][] forums pay-only after hundreds of people poo poo on him for buying a Hummer H2 for going off-roading. A corn-cobbing for the ages; before dril, or ever Twitter, were even a thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I still don't know what enthusiast engagement is supposed to be. Negotiating with reviewers, hardware for favorable reviews?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What was Kyle's thing re the Pentium 4?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I still don't know what enthusiast engagement is supposed to be. Negotiating with reviewers, hardware for favorable reviews?

Adored, but officially on the books for Intel.

eames
May 9, 2009

Major motherboard manufacturers released 300-series BIOS updates with support for a new Coffee Lake R0 stepping. (9900K is P0, 8700K is U8, 7700K is B0)

The 9900KF (non-iGPU) CPUs reviewed so far were all manufactured with this stepping. They run cooler and overclock higher than regular 9900Ks.

Isn't 10-core Comet Lake with dual ringbus supposed to release this summer? It really feels like Intel is throwing 14nm SKUs at the wall to see what sticks.

eames fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 26, 2019

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

eames posted:

Major motherboard manufacturers released 300-series BIOS updates with support for a new Coffee Lake R0 stepping. (9900K is P0, 8700K is U8, 7700K is B0)

The 9900KF (non-iGPU) CPUs reviewed so far were all manufactured with this stepping. They run cooler and overclock higher than regular 9900Ks.

Isn't 10-core Comet Lake with dual ringbus supposed to release this summer? It really feels like Intel is throwing 14nm SKUs at the wall to see what sticks.

I thought I remembered hearing that the i9s without the iGPU were gimped for market segmentation with no real benefit. Cool to see that I remembered incorrectly; never understood having an i9 with an iGPU as the flagship consumer chip because anyone forking that kind of cash over will have a discrete GPU.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Intel can't produce enough high-end product and they are resorting to binning the hell out of everything to compensate. IDK if the KFs are just binned or if they're manufactured with a slightly different process that allows them to push things harder without as high of a failure rate but ultimately it's Intel coping with the problems brought on by betting so hard on 10nm and failing.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely binned. Probably bunk GPU things, so they just bin that sucker and there we go. Intel is sucking.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
So the question now is how many more pluses can Intel add to their 14nm

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 27, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Palladium posted:

14nm+∞
14nm-NG
14nm-MAX... 8

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 27, 2019

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
14+++ perhaps

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Palladium posted:

They're going to start adding the number of pluses it would be after the first. 14nm+x6!

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
You just use bigger pluses to represent 5's and smaller ones for singles. Like 14mm++ = 14mm++++++

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The new stepping isn't a process change as far as I know. It's just a new stepping, which normally wouldn't be news at all. Coffee Lake R is still "14nm++"

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

didn't know Intel hired out their process naming to Square's Department of Dogshit Confusing Names

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

HalloKitty posted:

14nm-MAX... 8

It clocks down when you’re trying to run anything CPU intensive.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

didn't know Intel hired out their process naming to Square's Department of Dogshit Confusing Names

14nm+++: Skylake Returns

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Intel Fab Process Unlimited 14+X3

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Just don't do 14+X4--X3 had a lot more features.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Confuse people into thinking it's a huge truck, then they'll spend 60k on it

14X4

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

K8.0 posted:

Intel can't produce enough high-end product and they are resorting to binning the hell out of everything to compensate. IDK if the KFs are just binned or if they're manufactured with a slightly different process that allows them to push things harder without as high of a failure rate but ultimately it's Intel coping with the problems brought on by betting so hard on 10nm and failing.

It may not just be high-end product, Dell and Lenovo have been slipping ship dates on regular desktops due to "part constraints" and what I've heard is Intel has been late on delivering CPUs.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Look if they're calling it 14nm++, couldn't they just shorten it to 15nm?

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
14nm +IX

apple and amd have already paved the roman numeral future for everyone

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

2500k 4lyfe :hfive:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Look if they're calling it 14nm++, couldn't they just shorten it to 15nm?

I mean if this was TSMC, they would absolutely be calling it "11nm" by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
The name and actual element size have been disconnected since 65 nm. They could just call it 13 nm and it wouldn't make a difference.