Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I will commonly pass decently moving traffic if I'm using cruise control and the dweeb in front of me keeps oscillating their speed up and down.

Bothers me less if I'm in the car that has adaptive cruise control but if I don't have it it's infuriating.

More rarely I'll just subtract a couple MPH and live with it but I have this dumb obsession with picking multiples of 5 on cruise control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
In my experience, those same people who oscillate speed are the same people who will often not let you pass.

The second you try to pass and get even slightly in front of them, they speed up to match your speed. Even if it's 5+ what their maximum was earlier.

It's super annoying and I often have to speed up even more until they finally realize they don't want to go that fast and give up matching speed.

At that point my cruise control comes back on, I slow down, and they never catch up because they resumed their normal speed.

Why do they do that?

Also in agreement that Nissan drivers are by far some of the worst on the road.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Because people don't like to be passed. They see it as a challenge to their sense of self-importance. How dare you arrive at your destination sooner just because you are a dirty scofflaw.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I support people passing me, because they're then generally driving away from me and no longer my problem. This is the ideal thing for people to do around me in traffic.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
On my way to the city early yesterday morning, too, I was the only person on the highway for miles. It's just me and the darkness for 45 minutes. I pass a BMW and he immediately speed matches me for a half hour. It's just us. I speed up multiple times and he stays with me. He passes me, puts his brakes on, exits.

People make this commute regularly. :psyduck:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I speed up when someone passes me since I like to go > 9 above but won't when it's just me.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I speed up when someone passes me since I like to go > 9 above but won't when it's just me.

Yeah, I'm fine with being the 2nd fastest car on the road.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Tried going exactly the speed limit last night (in the right lane, don't worry) out of bored curiosity and my god do people speed like motherfuckers around here. I'm usually keeping up with traffic so I never really noticed it before, but 9+ above seems to be the norm on pretty much every road when traffic allows it. I'm not even talking about 3 AM or something, it was a little after 9.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I've found that the least stressful way to road trip is to plant my rear end in the far right lane at a low speed and let everyone else go the gently caress around. This completely eliminates my active participation in passing people or being stuck behind anyone else. Also makes it much easier to pull over and stop if I want to take photos or something.

We're taking straight, flat, empty roads, where anyone can just pass without even slowing down, mind you; part of the strategy is avoiding the main routes.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
A stretch of the highway on my daily commute is below grade (I-696 in Detroit) which means it's incredibly dangerous for a cop to sit in the emergency lane. I've seen a few occasions when they sit at on-ramp gore points, in the e-lane of an underpass on/off ramp, and rarely on the left-side e-lane. But each time I see a cop with someone pulled over in the e-lane, they are basically just a foot away from traffic with nowhere to go if anything goes wrong. Consequently, there are almost zero cops on that stretch.

The speed normal speed in the left lane is about high 80s-95, with the second from left being no less than 80. Slightly less during rush hours by about 5.

And then after a long time, you get two a couple places where cops love to sit (see them there multiple times a month) and everyone drops to 70-75. Still waiting for a raging rear end in a top hat to fly by me after I slow down in anticipation and then get pulled over. Not that speeding tickets are anything but a racket..

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

I've found that the least stressful way to road trip is to plant my rear end in the far right lane at a low speed and let everyone else go the gently caress around. This completely eliminates my active participation in passing people or being stuck behind anyone else. Also makes it much easier to pull over and stop if I want to take photos or something.

We're taking straight, flat, empty roads, where anyone can just pass without even slowing down, mind you; part of the strategy is avoiding the main routes.

This is the correct way to road trip. Absolutely zero effort and the least frustrating way to travel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Javid posted:

If you're content with that, cruise behind a semi if you encounter one going about your chosen speed. Don't need to be super close, just enough to draft a little bit. Save some gas and feel real smug. :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

xzzy posted:

If you're content with that, cruise behind a semi if you encounter one going about your chosen speed. Don't need to be super close, just enough to draft a little bit. Save some gas and feel real smug. :v:

Hope you enjoy rock chips

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Even the semis in Nevada just cook past me at 80. It's hilarious.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
What do you do when you still get tailgated using this method?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Hope you enjoy rock chips

Well don't do it to dump trucks or on gravel roads obviously.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I usually drive 75 in a 65 zone, I usually end up either going the speed of the left lane on weekdays, or passing one or two cars on weekends, I am totally fine with people passing me. I think they are morons who are driving overly fast but whatever, if they want a ticket by all means they can go ahead of me. That said, if I'm say on the interstate traveling with the unholy mess of Thanksgiving traffic I will happily sit in the right lane going the speed limit watching tailgaters pass in the left lane because gently caress 8 hours of sitting in the left lane with the same car inches off my bumper.

That said, last night I was on my way home from work, Sunday afternoon traffic was about medium with the left lane being largely empty and steady spurts of traffic in the right lane. I came up to a group of 4 cars going about 70 in the right lane, the left lane was empty for as far as I could see (no visible cars ahead or behind me) so I switched lanes and I was passing the right traffic fairly quick when I got to about the 2nd car and I suddenly noticed flashing headlights behind me. A wiled riced out Honda Civic spawned inches off my back bumper and he was furious! I maintained my pace as I didn't want to adjust my cruise and at the rate I was going I would be finished passing in about 10 seconds, within 5 seconds I could no longer see the Civic's headlights and I could hear a horn honking. It was at that point I decided if you they want to go obscenely fast and be an rear end in a top hat about it, I will continue to be oblivous and unhelpful. . . So I stayed in the left lane, the right lane was completely empty, the Civic had the ability to pass me but not the brains enough to go around in the left right lane. So I bumped my cruise down to 70, still no pass, then 65, still no pass, then 60 and finally the Civic took to the empty left right lane. Yeah I was being a provocative rear end in a top hat but I have zero desire to assist and rewards lovely behavior, I never prevented them from passing, the right lane was still right there ready for the taking, it's my opinion parting ways for some douchebag who tailgates and flashes lights and honks their horn only rewards and encourages bad behavior. About 1/4 mile later where after the civic passed in the right lane and blasted away at what I believe to more than 90mph, the civic took the very same exit I take and I simply sat behind the kid at the light with a quick blast of the horn and middle finger to illustrate just how idiotic his childish driving was. The last I saw of the Civic was the kid turning into the private Catholic high school, I hope I never live near a private school again.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 27, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Javid posted:

I've found that the least stressful way to road trip is to plant my rear end in the far right lane at a low speed and let everyone else go the gently caress around.

After years of driving too fast, I've found this to not only be way less stressful, but also much cheaper.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

sleepy.eyes posted:

Tried going exactly the speed limit last night (in the right lane, don't worry) out of bored curiosity and my god do people speed like motherfuckers around here. I'm usually keeping up with traffic so I never really noticed it before, but 9+ above seems to be the norm on pretty much every road when traffic allows it. I'm not even talking about 3 AM or something, it was a little after 9.

Only 9mph? There are highways in CT where I routinely drive 10-15mph over the speed limit and need to stay in the right lane to avoid being run over. I used to commute on I-91 and I'd be regularly driving in near bumper-to-bumper traffic where all lanes were going at least 80mph.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago's urban highways are posted at 60 and if you aren't doing 75 your rear end is a right lane only slow poke.

Once you get into cornfields it's 70 and it's a crapshoot how fast people go. I usually cruise at 75 and I make frequent passes (mostly truckers), but also get left in the dust a lot by people pushing 100. State troopers love that poo poo.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

After years of driving too fast, I've found this to not only be way less stressful, but also much cheaper.

This was the original motive, driving 2000 miles in a vehicle with the ballistic profile of a brick. I just realized it was actually incredibly NOT aggravating like long drives usually are for me.

Three things stress me out on the open road: people riding my bumper, having to ride someone ELSE'S bumper, and passing slower drivers. Going slower than EVERYONE completely erases #2 and #3, and as for #1, people don't tend to linger there at that point, they cross straight over "angrily tailgate until you randomly decide to speed up" and into "rage-pass on a double yellow" mode. I don't have to actually think about/effort finding an opening and passing, everyone else gets to steer around me. Most of the time they don't even slow down, just go around me like a pothole and essentially exit my universe in 30 seconds or less. It's great.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

yamdankee posted:

not give a fuuuuuuuuuuuuck :boom:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Pretty much. 9/10 vehicles don't even slow down. The tenth guy, that apparently expects to will me into accelerating somehow, tends to have a 30 second fuse before he just angrily passes me.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Crossposting from the weather thread:

https://twitter.com/KOCOMichael/status/1110010444046057473/photo/1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some Saturn engineer from the 90's is super smug right now.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Why would you live in a place where the sky wants to destroy your car?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Your options are hail, tornados, flooding, rust, dust, or fire. Nature is always conspiring to destroy your property, not sure you can find a place that doesn't have one of those risks.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I luckily only have to suffer rust. There are parts of Arizona/New Mexico that don't really suffer any of thos things to any extreme which is why that area seems to be a time capsule for cool old cars.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Downside is bursting into flames as soon as you touch anything in the interior of the car.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

xzzy posted:

Your options are hail, tornados, flooding, rust, dust, or fire. Nature is always conspiring to destroy your property, not sure you can find a place that doesn't have one of those risks.

Live on a hill in Washington. Problem solved.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MikeyTsi posted:

Mt. St. Helens would like a word.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MikeyTsi posted:

Is Washington very different from BC climate-wise? Fire and hail tried on a regular basis to destroy things in BC, I can't imagine going 50-100km straight south would help much.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
I grew up in eastern Washington, can confirm no hail or fire the entire time I lived there except when the farmers burned their fields every year, makes quite the dust storm. Kind of surprised in hindsight at the lack of fires since it is a really dry area. They also don't salt.

Also some parts of the South are good on cars too. I live north of Atlanta and have none of the mentioned things, the only time stuff rusts here is if it's left in the forest or something.

Autoexec.bat fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 27, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Autoexec.bat posted:

Also some parts of the South are good on cars too. I live north of Atlanta and have none of the mentioned things, the only time stuff rusts here is if it's left in the forest or something.

To be fair, most of the "hard on cars" in the South is from natural disaster stuff that's "your car is fine, now it's totaled" fashion instead of just the environment chipping away. No salt on roads (other than the panicked 1-2 days a year where everyone goes "OH GOD A SNOWFLAKE!" :gonk:) so no dealing with rust slowly eating away at it. Unless you're on the coast of course, then the salt comes from another source. And hey, hail damage isn't always that bad. My parents were able to afford a brand new car for me out of highschool because the dealer would rather cut the price another $1,000 and just sell it over getting yet another car fixed up after they were hit by a hail storm. Yes it was a nearly featureless PT Cruiser, but it was new.

Anyways had a fun one just a bit ago. Heading home after work let out at 5 AM and just chilling in the outside lane of I-35 since I don't feel like motoring it home. Suddenly the cars ahead of me start slowing down...still slowing...still slowing. Not full-on hard breaks, but braking pretty hard for highway traffic that was going at 70 MPH just a moment ago. Finally people get out of the way and it turns out there's someone just puttering in the lane at a blisteringly fast...40 MPH.

No hazard lights or anything. At least he was in the outside lane and not the fast lane or his car would have been splattered across the road, but still there's a perfectly good access road if your car can't reach highway speed.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Autoexec.bat posted:

I grew up in eastern Washington, can confirm no hail or fire the entire time I lived there except when the farmers burned their fields every year, makes quite the dust storm. Kind of surprised in hindsight at the lack of fires since it is a really dry area. They also don't salt.

Can confirm, but you forgot to mention the hillbilly chuds and radioactive waste.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

PT6A posted:

Is Washington very different from BC climate-wise? Fire and hail tried on a regular basis to destroy things in BC, I can't imagine going 50-100km straight south would help much.

The western quarter of the state is a temperate rain forest, we rarely get hail and when it we do it's universally been small and non-damaging. Biggest issues we tend to have is occasional flooding in the lowland areas (live on a hill), sometimes winds causing power outages, and every few years when we get 1" or so of snow on the ground and the state turns in to Thunderdome.

"Rain forest" so we don't see much in the way of fires on this side of the state. Cross the cascades though and you get to area that's a lot more arid and you get fires. Of course, it's chud country anyway where no one lives so it's not the greatest place to live anyway.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

PT6A posted:

Central and eastern wa is flat and empty. You have to get to idaho and western montana before everything is forests and mountains again. And yes, once you're over there it's much drier and everything lights on fire all the time. I had a friend in college from seattle that didn't realize there were more mountains past that, like in Montana, which I guess he though was named that for no apparent reason.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Central Washington gets a bad rap because of the route that I-90 takes. It's painfully boring.. flat, dry, and long. And the only thing on the other side of it is the shithole that is Spokane.

On the other hand, SR20 is gorgeous from the ocean to the border with Idaho. US-2 is a more scenic drive as well.

SE Washington is also nice but it's less of a spot you pass through and more of a destination.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

yamdankee posted:

If I'm in slow mode, right lane, not caring, and someone is still tailgating me, I start bumping the decelerate button on the cruise control. Once at a time. A few seconds before hitting it again. Eventually they go around or we've stopped on the interstate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I refer to this as reverse chicken.