Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Is it, though? I get that review bombing is a thing and that it makes public relations people very sad, and that moderating review sections would be an expense and we want our capitalism fully automated. But sometimes products are actually terrible- like Star Citizen- and user reviews are an important tool for cutting through the marketing hype in those cases.

If a review required you to actually have the game in your library (possibly with an automatic note marking it if the user later refunded it), that might help cut down on the problematic side of reviews. I'm sure there could be downsides to this, as well, but it's better than not having them at all.

edit: taxxe

Bofast fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

loving hell, that's some taxxe avoidance right there.
A hellcat is as much of a catte as most of the other bollocks posted as taxxe, shut your traphole!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nyan?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Did you then proceed to see and then conquer?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

A retrospective of Wing Commander's development:

From Squadron to Wingleader

Excerpts:

quote:

Although Squadron wouldn’t ship in June, the Summer Consumer Electronics Show loomed with as much importance as ever as a chance to show off the game-to-be and to drum up excitement that might finally end the sniggering about Ultima Systems. Just before the big show, Origin’s lawyers delivered the sad news that calling the game Squadron would be a bad idea thanks to some existing trademarks on the name. After several meetings, Wingleader emerged as the consensus choice for a new name, narrowly beating out Wing Commander.

quote:

With Wingleader still just a bunch of art and sound assets not yet wired up to the core game they were meant to complement, an interactive demo was impossible. Instead Chris Roberts put together a demo on videotape, alternating clips of the battles in space with clips of whatever other audiovisual elements he could assemble from what the artists and composers had managed to complete. Origin brought a big screen and a booming sound system out to Chicago for the show; the latter prompted constant complaints from other exhibitors. The noise pollution was perfect for showing the world that there was now more to Origin Systems than intricate quests and ethical dilemmas — that they could do aesthetic maximalism as well as anyone in their industry, pushing all of the latest hardware to its absolute limit in the process. It was a remarkable transformation for a company that just eighteen months before had been doing all development on the humble little 8-bit Apple II and Commodore 64. Cobbled together though it was, the Wingleader demo created a sensation at CES.

Indeed, one can hardly imagine a better demonstration of how the computer-game industry as a whole was changing than the game that had once been known as Squadron, was now known as Wingleader, and would soon go onto fame as Wing Commander. In my next article, I’ll tell the story of how the game would come to be finished and sold, along with the even more important story of what it would mean for the future of digital entertainment.

Thanks to Mirificus for sharing this site.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That's some AAAAA gameplay right there.

Time for a victory lap or two!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Dress up scsffl

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

A retrospective of Wing Commander's development:

From Squadron to Wingleader

Excerpts:

Thanks to Mirificus for sharing this site.

Here's another tidbit.

quote:

Working from Origin’s offices, albeit still as a contracted outside developer rather than an employee, Roberts finished his game, which came to be called Times of Lore. In the course of its development, the game grew considerably in scope and ambition, and, as seemed only appropriate given the company that was to publish it, took on some light CRPG elements as well.

He's always been the same.

Decide on what to make, start making it, then the scope baloons.

It didn't do too well either..

quote:

Unfortunately, his game got to enjoy only a middling level of sales success in return for all his efforts. As if determined to confirm the conventional wisdom that had caused so many developers to steer clear of them, Origin released Times of Lore almost simultaneously with the Commodore 64 port of Ultima V in 1988, leaving Roberts’s game overshadowed by Lord British’s latest.

Another bit is about how at Origin they were among the first to demand ahead of the curve hardware. That worked back then, computer hardware was progressing rapidly. But what about now? Is there really that much difference between current gen, last gen, and next gen in hardware these days?

Chris was (and is) clearly the dreamer, and not good at all areas of producing a game.

Here's a bit from Spector.

quote:

When I came on as producer, Chris was really focused on the direction he wanted to take with the game. He knew exactly where he was going, and it would have been hard to deflect him from that course. It would have been crazy to even want to, so Chris and I co-produced the game. Where his talent dropped out, mine started, and vice versa. We did a task breakdown, and I ended up updating, adjusting, and tracking scheduling and preparing all the documentation. He handled the creative and qualitative issues. We both juggled the resources.

This brings us back to an oft asked question about CR and CIG. Is there anyone there taking control of the stuff that Chris can't/won't? Is there anyone there who can tell CR "No!"?

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 27, 2019

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

New Anthem Javelin looking good.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

no_recall posted:

I feel sorry for typing this out, but fidelity doesn't equate packing in as many features and tech samples into your game as you can. The game doesn't have any art direction whatsoever. There's no aesthetic that separates it from being a generic looking space game.

I don’t understand why so many people give SC the compliment sandwich of “Well, it looks great, but...” because it really doesn’t look great. It looks boring and hazy and dimly lit. Some of the spaceships are pretty on the outside, I guess.

Those big pipes spewing sewage through the air at Lorville are loving nightmarish. And the billboards everywhere. And the plastic bag helmets. Who wants to play Slum Citizen?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Wait, can eyeballs wear armour now?

Have NPCs learned to defecate?

Is this The Subsumption!?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It is amazing how many things are wrong in this jpeg.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Agony Aunt posted:

Here's another tidbit.

He's always been the same.

Decide on what to make, start making it, then the scope baloons.

It didn't do too well either..

Another bit is about how at Origin they were among the first to demand ahead of the curve hardware. That worked back then, computer hardware was progressing rapidly. But what about now? Is there really that much difference between current gen, last gen, and next gen in hardware these days?

Chris was (and is) clearly the dreamer, and not good at all areas of producing a game.

Here's a bit from Spector.

This brings us back to an oft asked question about CR and CIG. Is there anyone there taking control of the stuff that Chris can't/won't? Is there anyone there who can tell CR "No!"?

quote:

Manifesting a tendency anyone familiar with his more recent projects will immediately recognize, Roberts had been causing chaos on the team by approving seemingly every suggested addition or enhancement that crossed his desk.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

I don’t understand why so many people give SC the compliment sandwich of “Well, it looks great, but...” because it really doesn’t look great.

It has the highest resolution material textures.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Most of what people had seen that made them think "It looks great" wasn't actual gameplay lol.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Most of what people had seen that made them think "It looks great" wasn't actual gameplay lol.

Most of what people have seen wasn't actual gameplay lol.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
It's a good thing that Crobear promised not to use faked demos for PR, that everything shown would be fully working in-game.

The sandworm was not a joke or lie. Weeks not months.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/Mysticstar80/status/1110369165842501632

seriously the graphics are now at the level of early PS3 games.

I guess that works well with the whole brown colour scheme they got going on with the planets.

Continuing on this note, I've been playing through the Mass Effect trilogy again and I'm currently on ME2. I slapped on some texture mods and with that in place I think it holds up very favorably, even now. It doesn't have some particular modern features like fidelitous hair and lighting but I'd say it looks great.

This game is 9 years old and I think it's fair to say that, at the very least, the characters look better than the ones in Star Citizen.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Her sweat was not even modelled in this low fidelity publisher funded piece of garbo!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, I dunno. I don't see anything tracking the amount of argon in the air. Doesn't really compare.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Fidelitious posted:

This game is 9 years old and I think it's fair to say that, at the very least, the characters look better than the ones in Star Citizen.

The thing is, most of Mass Effect's spacey environments are kind of generic and boring video game art but that's fine. There's a lot of crates and prefab buildings and big grey hallways with lots of vents, but as the player you don't really notice, because those things are set dressing. What you remember is that time you found the colony taken over by that mind control plant, or that time when the Citadel was under attack by Reapers. The art of the game is just paving the way for the story and characters, which are well designed and fully realized. You'll get a very interesting effect if you show ME1/2/3 screenshots to a person who played the game vs one who hasn't, I think. Your experience of the game really colors what you see in those images.

In addition, the tech of the game world is consistent internally. The "mass effect" at the heart of the game's technology is just space magic, but the art directors for the series very clearly came up with a set of rules for what it could and couldn't do, and there's even a bit of variation in the way the different races make use of the same principles. It is extremely effective at grounding the player in their world, and also at heightening the sense of danger when stuff eventually shows up that doesn't seem to correspond to that design aesthetic (hello giant space squids).

Star Citizen has exactly the same generic and boring video game art as every other property out there, but nothing else. They have cranked up the polygon budget to 5,000x or whatever but they haven't designed a single interesting character or told a story worth remembering, so all anyone experiences is the "Viewing a Mass Effect screenshot without having played the game" effect. It just looks like boring hallways and people standing around, and if you play it that's exactly what you'll get. Moreover, the SC tech has no consistency. Sometimes you need a spinning ring for gravity on your stations even though the smallest ship in the game can mount gravity plating for essentially free. Sometimes turrets need to be manned, sometimes they're automatic. Air hisses into the airlock when you depressurize it. It's all just garbage from someone who decided that space art meant just taking anything he'd seen in a space movie and jumbling it all together. Interestingly, what's missing from Star Citizen's art pile is any references to space games that aren't Wing Commander. My theory is that this is because Chris doesn't actually play video games, and those designs don't seem worth stealing to him.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Agony Aunt posted:

His wife? His little brother? One of his employees?

Absent a publisher/producer, the only ones that could hold CR responsible are the backers.

But they don't. CI(G?) Misses deadlines, lies, wastes money and dev time on sandworms and the community makes excuses and allows it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Amazing Zimmo posted:

https://twitter.com/Mysticstar80/status/1110369165842501632

seriously the graphics are now at the level of early PS3 games.

I guess that works well with the whole brown colour scheme they got going on with the planets.

Lol Mass Effect Andromeda, the game everyone shits on for being a rushed pile of garbage, looks better.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWPqvQG3dBM

:munch:

:suspense:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yes the point I was trying to get across Sarsapariller, is that from a purely graphical quality and pleasing aesthetic perspective, the characters are at least on par in Mass Effect 2 with those in Star Citizen. Of course, Tali is also at least 100x times more interesting as a character than Jimmy Three-Coats, but that's just bonus in this discussion. I can definitely agree that almost all the environments in Mass Effect are completely forgettable.

On a different tack, I would also like to point out that in Mass Effect 1's roughly 3.5 year development time they successfully developed models and animations for:

Asari
Elcor
Hanar
Humans (male/female)
Keepers
Salarians
Turians
Volus
Geth
Krogan
Quarian
Rachni
and a variety of other enemy types and set dressing creatures

In more than double the time Star Citizen has successfully(?) implemented:

Humans (male/female, horribly broken)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

And a turtle

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Grey market stocks are about to get wrecked:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/0-ccu-update-1

Hi everyone,

Way back in May of 2017, we mentioned that we planned on expiring all unused $0 CCUs from our system before Alpha 3.0 hit the live servers. Obviously, we’re far beyond the release of 3.0, which we feel has provided an ample amount of time for the community to utilize these CCUs.

The original messaging is attached as an image for reference.

We’re now ready to move forward and will be rolling this change out in two phases:

• One week from today, on April 3rd, we will be removing the ability to obtain any additional $0 CCUs.
• Then, on May 1st, we will be removing all unused $0 CCUs from our system.

Ultimately, this is another step in our ongoing efforts to optimize all aspects of the Star Citizen experience.

:laugh:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Goddamn.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

Ultimately, this is another step in our ongoing efforts to optimize all aspects of the Star Citizen experience.

...especially financial.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Quavers posted:

Way back in May of 2017, we mentioned that we planned on expiring all unused $0 CCUs from our system before Alpha 3.0 hit the live servers. Obviously, we’re far beyond the release of 3.0, which we feel has provided an ample amount of time for the community to utilize these CCUs.

I don't know if this'll hit the GM super hard, but there may be an implication I haven't thought of.

Mostly this is about people who realized that a $0 CCU meant free extra ships, and queued up like 100 Hornet-To-Gladiator and 100 Gladiator-To-Hornet conversions in their inventory. CIG obviously does not care for citizens having access to two ships and only paying for one, so- here comes the culling.

Now, some citizens might look at this and experience a moment of doubt, thinking "But wait, if they are so concerned about me having a ship that I can change into another ship without paying them, what does that say about them ever making the ships actually obtainable in-game? If they won't even let me use the legitimate CCU system that they themselves set up, because it might deprive them of a buck, why would they ever let me permanently obtain a ship just by playing?" These citizens are goons. Please ignore them.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

Now, some citizens might look at this and experience a moment of doubt, thinking "But wait, if they are so concerned about me having a ship that I can change into another ship without paying them, what does that say about them ever making the ships actually obtainable in-game? If they won't even let me use the legitimate CCU system that they themselves set up, because it might deprive them of a buck, why would they ever let me permanently obtain a ship just by playing?" These citizens are goons. Please ignore them.

FUD :argh:

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't know if this'll hit the GM super hard, but there may be an implication I haven't thought of.

Mostly this is about people who realized that a $0 CCU meant free extra ships, and queued up like 100 Hornet-To-Gladiator and 100 Gladiator-To-Hornet conversions in their inventory. CIG obviously does not care for citizens having access to two ships and only paying for one, so- here comes the culling.

It's an oddity of the citizens that there's normally one issue even the hardcore reddit fiend like Mothman or Cymellion actually gets upset with CIG about. It's a different issue for each of them but they will fight other citizens on reddit about it and shrug off the downvotes. Maybe this will flip out that Kazen. Maybe Bluegoblin will come out of retirement to tell everyone to be more negative about this.

Of course it doesn't matter because the hive mind moves quickly to remove any criticism of CIG and Star Citizen. The standard replies will be issued, the downvotes will fly and the dream can continue.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Fidelitious posted:

Yes the point I was trying to get across Sarsapariller, is that from a purely graphical quality and pleasing aesthetic perspective, the characters are at least on par in Mass Effect 2 with those in Star Citizen. Of course, Tali is also at least 100x times more interesting as a character than Jimmy Three-Coats, but that's just bonus in this discussion. I can definitely agree that almost all the environments in Mass Effect are completely forgettable.

Okay, I'm not exactly a SC fan, but if we're going in the direction of "Star Citizen actually doesn't look all that good compared to a 9-years-old game", please at least make the comparison fair. You cannot take a random generic NPC in Star Citizen and compare it with one of the main characters in Mass Effect. You perfectly know that main characters have better assets, more polygons, higher detailed textures than generic character #3578.

Of course, there is no story mode in SC, so you can either compare generic character in SC vs generic character in ME / other games; either you take SQ42's main characters in cinematics and compare that to other game's main characters in cinematics.

Let's be fair.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers

Quavers posted:

Grey market stocks are about to get wrecked:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/0-ccu-update-1

Hi everyone,

The original messaging is attached as an image for reference.

We’re now ready to move forward and will be rolling this change out in two phases:

• One week from today, on April 3rd, we will be removing the ability to obtain any additional $0 CCUs.
• Then, on May 1st, we will be removing all unused $0 CCUs from our system.

:laugh:

Lotta angry backers in that thread.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1110685658962640896

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Are there any ships on sale, I would like to purchase one spesship plx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

Are there any ships on sale, I would like to purchase one spesship plx

CI!G doesn't have sales. That's your word.