Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Man_of_Teflon posted:

wonder what they hosed up so bad that now they just want the case to go away

I've seen some reports on Twitter that the State's Attorneys are saying they stand by what they originally charged, which is weird. My guess is some hilarious fuckup by CPD that tainted some key evidence, and/or the brothers are no longer willing to testify (or have such big problems with their testimony that State's Attorneys didn't want to put them on the stand).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
Since the Judge sealed the case and the evidence, who would have the authority to unseal it?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rich, powerful people asked Foxx to drop the charges and she did. This isn't terribly complicated.

He likely wasn't getting jail time or anything considering he has a clean record.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Niwrad posted:

Rich, powerful people asked Foxx to drop the charges and she did. This isn't terribly complicated.

He likely wasn't getting jail time or anything considering he has a clean record.

What, are you cpd or something?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Why why why would you give CPD and the state the benefit of the doubt?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

He's got a stupid theory and he wants everyone to know it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Also what rich powerful people were on his side?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

You don't forfeit $10k if the city hosed up. You also shout it from the rooftops about their fuckups since your reputation is destroyed.

CPD sucks but this guy faked a hate crime. Both things can be true.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

He may still sue. But it isn't an easy case to win. Will have to see why they dropped the charges, which we probably won't. Anyway. Your theory isn't very good. Come up with a new one.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Benagain posted:

Also what rich powerful people were on his side?

The family got Tina Tchen, who is a pretty big deal, to lobby Kim Foxx to stop the investigation (which she tried to do).

Hate crimes against minorities are climbing and this shithead is faking them and casting doubt on others. Why would anyone support him?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

He may still sue. But it isn't an easy case to win. Will have to see why they dropped the charges, which we probably won't. Anyway. Your theory isn't very good. Come up with a new one.

It's not a theory. It literally happened.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-jussie-smollett-kim-foxx-records-20190313-story.html

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

You're an idiot. Turning it over to the FBI when the police were constantly leaking bullshit is completely reasonable.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So as an outside lawyer looking at the case I can give an opinion on the story.

Obviously this comes with the proviso that none of us have the full story we only have what has been reported by the media.

1) The cops have not charged the two guys who allegedly tried to beat/kill Smollett with anything. So clearly the cops don't in anyway buy Smollett's story.

2) Smollett admits that he knew the people that the CPD say were his attackers before hand and paid them money, but said it was for other reasons. It means that what Smollett is saying is already suspicious.
Because it means that Smollett never IDed his attackers, the CPD went looking for the suspects and the two people they happen to find have an existing financial relationship with Smollett and decide to concoct a fake story to excuse their role in this attack which just happens to have a lot of corroborating evidence going for it.

The alternative version is Smollett gave a vague version of events that would be enough to get reported but too vague to ever be solved. And when the cops spotted flaws in what he was saying he had to start coming up with lies to hide it.

3) Smollett days he's innocent...but he will forfeit his Bond, so he's down $10,000.
Perhaps this is Smollett's lawyer advising him to write that off as the price of doing business with the US Judicial system.
But it could also be a tactical decision by the prosecutors office that they had some huge flaw in their case and claiming 10K was a better deal than losing a protracted criminal case.

While the logical decision in a case like this would be to advise the client to eat the loss, a client who was adamant about how they were the victim of a crime and were being perversely charged with a crime themselves would likely not be willing to loose money like that.
Keep an eye out to see if Smollett's lawyers file a wrongful imprisonment or malicious prosecution claim. If they don't it's because they know that they'd 100% lose that case.

4) And this is petty and my personal bias, but
he keeps invoking religion when he talks about how he didn't do anything wrong, which always makes you look super crazy and super shady.

But for those who say that this is a nothing fine. He's forfeited 10K, when he wasn't on amazing money anyway. He's likely made an enemy of the Chicago PD. And he's been fired from Empire. And given that they think he was trying to dupe money out of then he will likely be back balled from the industry.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Or the cpd is making poo poo up. Which given their history is by far the most likely thing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

You're an idiot. Turning it over to the FBI when the police were constantly leaking bullshit is completely reasonable.

It was a crime committed in Chicago. There was no reason for the FBI to be involved. It's one of the dumbest attempts at a fake hate crime this side of Jacob Wohl. You can't honestly believe his ridiculous story.

You support him for political reasons. Just know it casts a poo poo light on real hate crimes that take place everyday. So congrats on that.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Nah, you're defending a racist and corrupt institution for reasons. Guarantee if they thought they could have prosecuted they would have at least tried to get him into a plea deal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why the simplest explanation is that both sides did something catastrophically wrong so everyone had a discussion and agreed the best way to deal with it is brush it all under a carpet and hope everyone forgets.

(which they will, other than an occasional clever meme to amuse ourselves with)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

Nah, you're defending a racist and corrupt institution for reasons. Guarantee if they thought they could have prosecuted they would have at least tried to get him into a plea deal.

I'm not defending CPD at all. You don't need the CPD to tell you this was a comically bad attempt to fake a hate crime. I get you need to defend it for whatever political reason you think this helps, but remember it the next time a real hate crime victim is ignored and people bring this guy up as the reason.

xzzy posted:

That's why the simplest explanation is that both sides did something catastrophically wrong so everyone had a discussion and agreed the best way to deal with it is brush it all under a carpet and hope everyone forgets.

(which they will, other than an occasional clever meme to amuse ourselves with)

Or that it's just par for the course here when it comes to wealthy or politically connected people. Anyone remember RJ Vanecko? This feels different because it's so rare that a young black male is given the preferential treatment for a change.

The police seem mad so I don't think this was there way of brushing it under the rug. And timing it during the CPD graduation seems like a way of keeping them from chirping back for a few hours.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

It's funny that you don't think you're defending cpd while you are still swallowing their story entirely. My political angle is the cpd is corrupt. There are tons of possibilities that do not involve Smollet being directly involved with the commission of the attack. But I don't think you are open minded enough to see them.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Scipiotik posted:

It's funny that you don't think you're defending cpd while you are still swallowing their story entirely. My political angle is the cpd is corrupt. There are tons of possibilities that do not involve Smollet being directly involved with the commission of the attack. But I don't think you are open minded enough to see them.

I don't think they're defending the CPD at all. Obviously you have had some bad experiences with the police but it's a huge institution that doesn't plan out every action for maximum malice.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Scipiotik posted:

I'm not swallowing their story at all. It was clear from the start that a couple MAGA chuds were not hanging out in an alley with rope and bottle of bleach in a busy neighborhood in -20 degree weather in hopes this semi-known actor would step out to Subway in the middle of the night on a weekday. Then find a way to avoid all cameras in the area.

Even if you accept that plausibly took place, you'd have to believe that CPD convinced two guys to lie about doing it, forge a check from his bank account, and stage fake receipts and cameras showing the guys buying ropes at a local hardware store.

Seems like a lot of work to frame a guy for a crime that likely would have just gotten him some community service.

Just because CPD sucks doesn't mean other people can't suck too.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

The check is not concrete evidence. The FBI said the cpd was incorrect about him sending the hatemail. The guys could have attackd him for another reason and staged it as a hate crime to not draw attention on themselves. Then the cpd puts the squeeze on them today take Smollet down. Completely in their playbook.

Seems highly unlikely the DA would drop charges when they could have offered a sweetheart deal with no jail time and at least got a guilty plea instead of pissing off every cop in Chicago. To me that points to the CPD doing something heinous to the point that it made prosecution difficult and discovery embarrassing or potentially worse.

It became obvious early on that the cpd wanted to pin this on him with all of the leaks. That makes them uncredible.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

It seems to me that if Smollet was the only/biggest offender the judge wouldn't seal the case:shrug:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lol 10k is jack poo poo.

If you could get out of 16 felonies with 10k no one would ever be convicted of anything.

My broke rear end could come up with 10k if I really really needed it.

I don't trust the CPD for poo poo when all of their smoking guns in the case turned out to be flat out fabrications

Maybe he did set it up, but then this is a case of the CPD pulling an OJ and trying to frame a guilty guy.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Maybe the conspiracy of rich people who wanted to get him off paid the kingly sum of 10k.

People who trust the CPD are idiots or worse.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Niwrad posted:

Even if you accept that plausibly took place, you'd have to believe that CPD convinced two guys to lie about doing it, forge a check from his bank account, and stage fake receipts and cameras showing the guys buying ropes at a local hardware store.

That's not hard to believe.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
To bad it was found out that literally all of the CPDs insinuations about the check, and the dudes were all bullshit and found to be false or misleading.

Also the CPD would never lie and make up poo poo at all, they have literally had no history of the mayor and CPD conspiring to lie and make up a story and go hard on a lie about a black person.

Nope definitely haven't had an issue like that at all of them literally destroying hiding or making up evidence to bullshit their way through a a case nope not at all.

I'm not saying its impossible that this was staged, but yikes at believing a drat thing the CPD has said when literally all of their "evidence" and narrative crumbled.

If I was Jussie, was hypothetically innocent, and this was put on me, just to loving end it with no record and not have to keep paying a lawyer I would take the loving community service, and L on the 10k just to be loving done with it all.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 27, 2019

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

God, I hate how stupid people can be.

https://q985online.com/illinois-residents-may-soon-pay-a-tax-when-it-rains/

quote:

If you think Illinois had a tax for everything, you're wrong! A new tax is being proposed that will cost you money every time it rains. It's being called the 'rain tax.'

A new tax on rainwater is being proposed in Springfield, according to Illinois State Rep. Allen Skillicorn (R-East Dundee). Skillicorn, who strongly opposes the bill, is calling it the 'rain tax.' He posted information about the proposed new tax in a Facebook Live video last week.

House Bill 825 would allow is non-home rule municipalities the ability to charge a fee to maintain their stormwater sewer system.

According to the Illinois News Network, Skillicorn says:

The measure would allow rain to be taxed by, as the bill states, allowing “stormwater utility charges to offset the cost of owning, maintaining, and improving local stormwater infrastructure. And it’s a fee, so it’s not tax deductible. It’s also something a church would have to pay, businesses; it’s also unlimited, so this theoretically, ten, fifteen years from now could be the biggest tax hike Illinois has ever seen.
If you have a large roof, or a long driveway, or a parking lot, you would be responsible for more taxes, under this bill, according to Skillicorn.

Rockford is a non-home rule community, and if passed, would be able to institute this new tax.

The bill states the following:

Amends the Combined Waterworks and Sewerage Systems Division of the Illinois Municipal Code. Modifies the definition of "sewerage system" to include storm water collection, treatment, and distribution infrastructure and disposal of storm water. Provides that charges a municipality may charge to inhabitants include storm water utility charges to offset the cost of owning, maintaining, and improving local storm water infrastructure.

The bill is sponsored by Chicago Heights State Rep. Anthony DeLuca (D).

This is filling up my feed with “just another way for Chicago to screw us”.

Also, for all the bitching people are doing about the possible gas tax raise, when I point out that, the VMT (that they all bitched about on Facebook) pilot program might have made it to where the gas tax did not have to be raised if they instituted the VMT over the next couple of years, they still complain about how the government in Illinois is stealing money from the citizens.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
If they thought about things like that, they'd have to admit that poor people aren't to blame for their problems.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Two months ago, literally everyone in Bloomington IL was (rightfully) complaining about potholes and road conditions. The rapid temperature shifts and precipitation basically made the pavement explode.

So the city passed a $0.04/gal gas tax to pay for road repairs.

Now everyone is bitching about taxes.

I guess they thought the asphalt fairy would do it?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dwarf74 posted:

Two months ago, literally everyone in Bloomington IL was (rightfully) complaining about potholes and road conditions. The rapid temperature shifts and precipitation basically made the pavement explode.

So the city passed a $0.04/gal gas tax to pay for road repairs.

Now everyone is bitching about taxes.

I guess they thought the asphalt fairy would do it?

If they had a well-run local government, there would be a reserve fund invested in diversified assets that wouldn't be constantly raided for whatever flavor of the day cause the politicians want. The reserves would be spent down for this unusual event and a smoother ride for the taxpayers would result.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

baquerd posted:

If they had a well-run local government, there would be a reserve fund invested in diversified assets that wouldn't be constantly raided for whatever flavor of the day cause the politicians want. The reserves would be spent down for this unusual event and a smoother ride for the taxpayers would result.

Increased gas taxes are actually good

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

brugroffil posted:

Increased gas taxes are fine by me too, but using that for reasoning here is stupid because the real reason is that the government can't manage their assets properly.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Gonna guess that infrastructure is chronically underfunded, so using an opportunity to fix that even partially is good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

baquerd posted:

That's like the main tax fallacy of all time. "Obviously there is enough money for [thing I want] if only they would do [magical vague thing that is not raising taxes]."

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dwarf74 posted:

That's like the main tax fallacy of all time. "Obviously there is enough money for [thing I want] if only they would do [magical vague thing that is not raising taxes]."

No, the idea is to raise taxes to generate and maintain a reserve fund to smooth the ride for taxpayers when poo poo happens, as opposed to raising taxes directly in response to poo poo happening. It's called "planning ahead".

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

baquerd posted:

No, the idea is to raise taxes to generate and maintain a reserve fund to smooth the ride for taxpayers when poo poo happens, as opposed to raising taxes directly in response to poo poo happening. It's called "planning ahead".

How? People have to vote to raise taxes, and saying you want to raise taxes 'because we might need more money in the future' is guaranteed to see your measure go down in flames at the polls. Its not bad government its selfish short-sighted 'muh taxes' population.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Fansy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 12, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

brugroffil posted:

Yes and no. On the one hand, yeah, they are environmentally good.

On the other hand, they are very regressive and hit the poor harder than the wealthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Fansy posted:

People shouldn't be driving in the first place. Gas tax for luxury cars to pay for an expanded metra/cta system.

Uh gently caress you, not everyone lives in Chicago or near Chicago.

I'm not one of those gently caress Chicago downstaters but fuuuuuuck thaaaaaat.