Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Jose posted:

the SNP voted no on all soft brexit options

SNP knows no deal means independence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Con: we are driving straight off a cliff at full speed

Pro: the car is running very smooth

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so the options are by friday: admit defeat and call a general election OR no deal brexit

i wonder which one may will pick!!!

why would a general elec delay the EU deadline?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

why would a general elec delay the EU deadline?

i believe a GE would trigger the may deadline extension yes

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why? that seems weird

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1111024839073116162

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
t. may and David Cameron should receive a Nobel peace prize for achieving the centuries-old dreams of a united Ireland and an independent Scotland

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

why? that seems weird

That's been the EU policy for like a year now.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

extremely quick and dirty, like our approach to major international withdrawal agreements

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol there's some lanyards on twitter arguing that this proves May wasn't the problem

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

why? that seems weird

the EU doesn't actually want the UK to leave for some reason but they dont feel all that strongly about it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So what happens now? It's 10 PM there, I guess they take the night and try to figure out what to do tomorrow, probable chance of calling a general election and getting an extension through that? Otherwise they sit in deadlock until no-deal is triggered Friday and the EU refuses to give an extension because they couldn't accomplish anything?

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

why? that seems weird

It wouldn't trigger it automatically, but Tusk and others have indicated multiple times that they'd agree to a longer extension if something substantive changed, like a GE

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

it is extremely funny that as a result of the government rejecting all versions of brexit, they get ultimate brexit

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
What if the Queen were to take up the Mace and end this farce?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1111027490217172992

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

So what happens now? It's 10 PM there, I guess they take the night and try to figure out what to do tomorrow, probable chance of calling a general election and getting an extension through that? Otherwise they sit in deadlock until no-deal is triggered Friday and the EU refuses to give an extension because they couldn't accomplish anything?

I thought that the EU backed off of refusing to give an extension.
That's what the predictit markets seem to think, anyways.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bip Roberts posted:

I don't think she could get enough behind it to properly incapacitate t may these days

see the grandpa with the hammer scene from Texas chainsaw massacre for reference

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

oh jesus christ this poo poo

at least there are another two and a half weeks to go

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Over Easy posted:

oh jesus christ this poo poo

at least there are another two and a half weeks to go

this parliament can't pass anything. brexit'ing on friday is still on the table until may proves she can pass the simplest of bills

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Damian_Cullen/status/1111028551778820097

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's fun that y'all didn't write down any rules or anything for how government should work, so one really determined PM can just drive the whole country into a loving wall at 100 kph because no one can force her to call elections no matter how much of a failure the government is.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol

https://twitter.com/ChukaUmunna/status/1111029538753003520

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

this parliament can't pass anything. brexit'ing on friday is still on the table until may proves she can pass the simplest of bills

I can't wait for parliament to not change their Brexit date so we unlock "Britain Must Die" mode with national/supranational collisions.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/paul__johnson/status/1111028912442826752

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

PostNouveau posted:

It's fun that y'all didn't write down any rules or anything for how government should work, so one really determined PM can just drive the whole country into a loving wall at 100 kph because no one can force her to call elections no matter how much of a failure the government is.

Normally in history what'd happen is this government would have collapsed months ago and gone to a general election and they'd either get more MPs or Labour would become the party of government. But after the 2010 election the Tory/Lib Dem coalition brought in the Fixed Term Parliament Act, the idea being it'd be harder for their backbenchers to bring the coalition down prematurely. But now it means that you need to pass an explicit Vote of No Confidence. And there's a lot of MPs with slim majorities who don't feel confident of retaining their seat at a snap election, so there's a general terror that has lead to total loving breakdown of government.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Raskolnikov38 posted:

inshallah

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Raskolnikov38 posted:

only may's deal triggers the may deadline

if we want an extension for a ge or ref we need to agree to do the european elections by the 11th and then the eu will just update their calenders

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they did that hours ago (and it never mattered)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
They probably won't vote for a general election, will they?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Spangly A posted:

they did that hours ago (and it never mattered)

ah well then congrats on the 2 week reprieve

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is there a funnier scenario than a general election vote being called and failing to pass?

Krabboss
Nov 11, 2016

MY HUSBAND'S PARSE IS BETTER THAN YOURS
rest in peace to the British Empire. had a good run, I guess. bit of a shitful place though, if I'm being honest

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
lmao @ brexit

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

paisley’s corpse just popped a semi

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

parliment can call an election but right now the majority doesnt want to because then they would lose power

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I love brexit

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Brexit is still March 29th or it's been pushed back two weeks at a minimum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

rear end cobra posted:

lmao @ brexit