Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

So many weird things like "discard 2nd kalina" or "shorthair Dante" being hidden behind secondary button prompts is some classic Capcom poo poo. IDK how anyone was gonna find out about the "chewing gum" thing though, that's hilarious.

It tells you that you got it when you unlock it, and then it shows up in the command list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

On the topic of the Lady/Trish censorship bits, I actually laughed my rear end off at it, as it felt very much in the style of DMC to use a lens flare to hide nothing but a bit of Lady/Trish at a time.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What this about chewing gum?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Pomp posted:

What this about chewing gum?

Nero can get a special chewing gum taunt that'll refill part of your health (I think it's limited to twice per mission though). I think it's by doing really well in his credit fight section.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

How am I supposed to fight two Furies at once, this poo poo is impossible

By keeping focused on one and aiming the camera at the nearest wall at all times. Furies are like any other enemy; they will not initiate an attack unless you can see them do the wind up. They have to flash their blade at you before they launch any kind of attack, so if you keep the camera focused on one and keep the other offscreen, they'll basically just do a bunch of "background teleporting," which is intimidating but not actually dangerous.

I just started Hell and Hell and I can pretty safely say that my quest for S Ranks has ended. I was pretty much entirely dependent on the No Continues multiplier to push my score over the top on other difficulties, but you can't get that here unless you complete the level without getting hit at all, and since you have to complete the entire level in one go with no checkpoints... yeah, no. I don't have the patience. :shrug:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I really want to give up on Hell or Hell s ranks but I just S ranked mission 10 on it so I feel like it’d be a waste to stop now.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Sooo, Vergil/Urizen initiated the whole Qlipoth shitshow? Kinda odd that de-blooding an entire city's worth of people gets forgotten and everyone reconciles at the end. I guess technically it wasn't Vergil's fault, but still a direct result of him bein' a bitch.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

McKilligan posted:

Sooo, Vergil/Urizen initiated the whole Qlipoth shitshow? Kinda odd that de-blooding an entire city's worth of people gets forgotten and everyone reconciles at the end. I guess technically it wasn't Vergil's fault, but still a direct result of him bein' a bitch.

I mean, I don't think it's forgotten, but how exactly would you propose to punish him? He's already in Hell, killing demons. Would you pull him out of Hell so you could kill him and send his soul back to Hell less able to kill demons? That just seems self-defeating on behalf of humanity. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
They do seem to pretty much immediately forget about that, but I think the characters in the game treat Vergil and Urizen as separate entities. Technically speaking Vergil didn't REALLY do all this, it was just the result of splitting himself in two. Urizen, independently of Vergil's control or memories or personality, planted the Qliphoth and generated the fruit by himself. He didn't even know he was half-a-Vergil even though he recognized Dante.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Urizen is what he would be like if he weren’t secretly a Goth poetry dork deep down on the inside.

That’s why I love V so much. It deeply humanizes the other twin, because it’s easy to infer that this is what he would be like under all the bravado and seriousness.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

its even better in the secret cutscene where he starts getting really petty with dante. "Where did you learn how to count? We're even."

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Brea the old school legend is back after 6 years away. Mission 19 spoilers.

https://youtu.be/21uXbisY28U

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RBX posted:

Brea the old school legend is back after 6 years away. Mission 19 spoilers.

https://youtu.be/21uXbisY28U

That Balrog clashing is fantastic.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Brea inspired me to Get Good at DMC in the first place, and I'm glad to see she hasn't lost her Killer Bee JC touch.

Also re: story: it undoubtedly does Trish and Lady raw, and it sucks even more that Dante straight-up acknowledges that they're the most badass women on the planet but they don't get a chance to re-assert that. I hope Ladies' Night ends up with them levelling the entirety of Hell and kicking Vergil in the balls for his poo poo.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Finished SoS, yay, but on the other hand I couldn't get better than D rank on M19 and M20, boo. Truly shameful.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
After repeatedly losing all lives at the boss of mission 3, I'm using the Super characters to blitz Hell and Hell and good lord, is it cathartic. After the poo poo DMD put me through, being able to spank the game like this while still having to be somewhat careful feels amazing. To me, it actually feels like the way Hell and Hell should be played; you are more powerful than ever but also more fragile than ever, while the enemies are nicely balanced. Playing it normally with no checkpoints just seems hideously un-fun to me, plus I feel like there should be at least one arena where you aren't punished for using the Super characters.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

sharrrk posted:

its even better in the secret cutscene where he starts getting really petty with dante. "Where did you learn how to count? We're even."

that whole "we might be doing this forever" scene was fantastic and sums up the majority of the series

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
52 points above the S rank threshold in DMD Mission 210. I am super loving glad that alt-f4ing out of the game lets you resume at a checkpoint without losing the bonus, I don't give a poo poo if it's intended or not.

Also: Quadruple S is insanely sick as all hell. Nothing like hitting a massive AoE launcher in the middle of a combo to clear the screen, and doing it for free.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 28, 2019

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

52 points above the S rank threshold in DMD Mission 20. I am super loving glad that alt-f4ing out of the game lets you resume at a checkpoint without losing the bonus, I don't give a poo poo if it's intended or not.

In missions with only one checkpoint like that, you actually don't even need to hit alt f4. As long as you complete the boss without reviving, you get No Continues. :v:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Spergatory posted:

In missions with only one checkpoint like that, you actually don't even need to hit alt f4. As long as you complete the boss without reviving, you get No Continues. :v:

Nah, I hosed up, that was supposed to be Mission 10. 2 or 3 checkpoints, lots of tough fights.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can you S rank M08 without killing Urizen?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Can you S rank M08 without killing Urizen?

Yes. You just need a score above a certain threshold before the second fight with him starts, then you can just stand there and die and still get the S.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Yes. You just need a score above a certain threshold before the second fight with him starts, then you can just stand there and die and still get the S.

Good to know.

Something about that mission makes me always finish with an A, even on Human where I have easily S ranked most missions on first try.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah M08 is a fucker. Basically play that poo poo as perfectly as you can and if you go below an S on pretty much any fight it's time to restart

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can't believe I'm asking after over 30 hours but does Style Rank per combat encounter only matter for the end result, or does it mean anything if I keep SSS up for a long time and then lose it near the end?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Each hit you make gives you style rank points with a multiplier for your style rank. This means that if you maintain SSS for most of the fight and lose it right at the end your style points won’t take a dive. Conversely if you only manage to get SSS at the end of the fight, you’ll have forgone a lot of style points.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Your mission rank is based on style points. Your dynamic letter grade is just a multiplier on style points you're earning right now. Getting hit directly lowers your style points. Flinching lowers your dynamic style rank. What exactly builds style points I'm not sure. Damage almost certainly counts, kills probably do as well, and probably well timed dodges/parries/blocks. There is an invisible per-encounter multiplier on style points you earn from that encounter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!
Game good. Beat it last night. This morning, I decided to spend the fifteen bucks on the live action cutscenes and extra arms. Been having even more of a blast on SoS mode. Game good.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Hell and Hell is not a well designed game mode.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Spergatory posted:

stop getting hit

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Pomp posted:

stop getting hit

I would if Hell and Hell was a well designed game mode, but alas, it is not.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
are you getting hit in SOS

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

It's an added challenge mode for when you've beaten the hardest modes in the game. Like, there's a point where "this game mode is poorly designed" when it does exactly what it says on the tin just isn't accurate at all. It's hard as gently caress, yeah, more so for some characters and situations than others, but people beat it and S-rank it.

It's fine if you don't like it, but that's not the game's fault that you dislike an added challenge gimmick mode.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hell and Hell is literally just DMD but you can only get hit 3 times.
So, uh, yeah, don’t get hit.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

It’s actually SoS.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Personally I'm having a lot more fun on Hell and Hell than I did on DMD. Enemies have reasonable amounts of health and can't go into their DT where they get even *more* defense and can't be launched nearly as often or long. As long as you never try and commit to super long attacks while multiple enemies are still alive you shouldn't be getting hit.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There are a number of reasons why "don't get hit at all, ever" is an unreasonable thing to ask of a player in this game, especially with Dante, who has a number of mechanics and weapons designed around the world not ending when you get hit that become absolutely and wholly useless on Hell and Hell (for God's sake, he isn't even allowed to Royal Guard imperfectly anymore). But I'm mostly annoyed with the way the game handles "death." Dramatically zooming in the camera and pausing the action for several seconds every single time you die is disorienting and makes it extremely easy to lose track of what was happening in a fight, making it much more likely for you to get chain ganked by multiple attacks and/or enemies in a row. Throwing you out of the mission and through several loading screens when you run out of lives is an obnoxious and needless bother that really adds up to a lot of annoyance if you're playing on anything other than a God-tier PC. No checkpoints whatsoever in missions that take twenty minutes or more and end with an extremely challenging boss that you can lose to in four hits, in a mode where taking one hit makes you substantially more likely to take another through no fault of your own? gently caress that noise.

I'll take DMD ten thousand times out of ten over Hell and Hell. DMD punishes you harshly for mistakes, but it at least allows you to make them.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Number one the style system is a giant billboard that's telling you "DONT GET HIT". The point of royal guard is to train and reward you to guard/release on time, not to hold block. In older games unless you guarded on time you'd get guard crushed everytime. I think you're too used to the training wheels and are scared to take them off.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Spergatory posted:

As you say in your own post, this is a problem with the loading and retry flow, nothing to do with Hell and Hell difficulty as a game mode.

The loading and retry flow is just as annoying no matter what difficulty you are playing, seeing it more or less often due to difficulty is not the root of the problem.

Fixing the root of problems makes them go away, changing the design of Hell and Hell (implied by saying it is badly designed) would just be hiding the problem.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Spergatory posted:

"don't get hit at all, ever" is an unreasonable thing to ask of a player in this game

Don't get hit at all, ever, has always been one of the end points of mastering any Devil May Cry game.

It's the most reasonable thing that the Heaven or Hell mode, and Hell and Hell mode can ask of players. It's there for people who want to get that good.