Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

City is authentic Japan.

But Nara might fit what she's looking for. Infrastructure is developed but it's not an endless neon sea like Tokyo. Easy to get to since it's a tourist destination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Stop saying waifu

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Nanigans posted:

Stop saying waifu

As long as it's in the thread title it's fair game!

:colbert:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Stop saying waifu

Yeah, say ワイフ instead.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nanigans posted:

Stop saying waifu

Don't be salty just because you don't have a waifu.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Are hazubandos acceptable?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

blackbox posted:

My waifu and I are planning a trip to Japan for 4/5 nights, sometime in the last couple of weeks of April. We'll be traveling with our 9 month old baby, is there anywhere especially suitable, or anything we need to consider in particular?

I know realistically we won't be doing too much, so somewhere we can just bumble around easily for a few days and see some sights is all we need. My waifu wants "less city and more authentic Japan", so somewhere a little less developed but still developed enough to make getting around with a baby not too difficult would be perfect. Does such a place exist?

Where are you guys flying from (that a 4-5 day trip makes sense)? I've done international flights with babies and kids and the flights were kinda ok but jetlag with babby sucks hard.
If you're coming in on shorter flights from Asia, you can fly directly to smaller airports like Hiroshima, Fukuoka or Takamatsu.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've got a forums upgrade of your choice for anyone that's willing to do a good write-up on how to get ghibli tickets that peanut can edit into the OP.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

go to website (https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/sitetop)

refresh it at the second tickets go live at like 10am or whatever Japan time that is listed.

try to buy them, but have your credit card rejected cuz it's a weird charge in Yen your bank doesn't like

refresh the page, it's slow now, or maybe not, Japanese websites are weird.

it's 10:02 now

almost every time slot is sold out. there's one with tickets available for the days you're in Japan and it's marked with a triangle which is not good!!

use a second card from a different provider

it worked!

This was my experience getting them online.

Alternatively on the first of every month you can buy tickets for up to 3 months ahead from this travel agency: http://www.jtbgmt.com/eng/ghibli/TicketSystem.html#Regions but they're limited to selling 200 a day from the whole world so good luck if you're in the US or Canada and 8-15 hours behind the rest of the world lol

this is not a good write up

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
No, it isn't. :colbert:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Part 2:

Find someone in country willing to go to Lawson and buy tickets for you.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I'll be a broker. $50 per ticket paid in advance, PM me with 4 dates, I get you in a slot on one of those dates or your money back (minus whatever paypal charges for this kind of thing). The Japanese site has more spaces and availability than the English site.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

I'll be a broker. $50 per ticket paid in advance, PM me with 4 dates, I get you in a slot on one of those dates or your money back (minus whatever paypal charges for this kind of thing). The Japanese site has more spaces and availability than the English site.

I've seen people literally advertising this service on Facebook, and at roughly the same terms.

Edit: Ahaha, yes. Here it is: https://www.govoyagin.com/ja/activities/japan-tokyo-last-minute-tickets-to-ghibli-museum-in-tokyo/186?acode=pretraveller

So someone pays a platoon of English teachers to stay sober enough on the evening of the 9th each month to make it to Lawson by 10 am the next day.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 28, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sale on Banksy art posted:

I've seen people literally advertising this service on Facebook, and at roughly the same terms.

The real question is have you seen anyone figuratively advertising on Facebook?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Edit: Ahaha, yes. Here it is: https://www.govoyagin.com/ja/activities/japan-tokyo-last-minute-tickets-to-ghibli-museum-in-tokyo/186?acode=pretraveller

So someone pays a platoon of English teachers to stay sober enough on the evening of the 9th each month to make it to Lawson by 10 am the next day.

lol, I even edited my post from $100 to $50. That service has over 1000 reviews at 8500 yen, maybe I'll charge $100 and throw in some cans of chuhai to drink on the way from the station to the museum.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

This is literally a public service if it's true. The Tokyo government should subsidize it, if need be.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I will happily edit good info into the op, but someone else has to vet it for me. Tia stringy

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006

peanut posted:

Where are you guys flying from (that a 4-5 day trip makes sense)? I've done international flights with babies and kids and the flights were kinda ok but jetlag with babby sucks hard.
If you're coming in on shorter flights from Asia, you can fly directly to smaller airports like Hiroshima, Fukuoka or Takamatsu.

We'll be flying from China, probably Beijing or Shanghai - somewhere we can get to easily and where we can spend a night or two to split the traveling.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackbox posted:

We'll be flying from China, probably Beijing or Shanghai - somewhere we can get to easily and where we can spend a night or two to split the traveling.

There is a fairly cheap Shanghai to Takamatsu flight, and Takamatsu is a good place if you just want a chill, relaxing trip. Not so much if you want to do lots of stuff though because there isn’t much to do. But for a chill trip with babby it’s pretty good. If you stay near the city center you can easily walk, train, or bus to everywhere that’s worth going.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Takamatsu area is cheap and chill and good for babby (check Spring Airlines).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah Takamatsu was nice. There is really nothing to do but it's a nice seaside and there's stuff to eat. Also the Battle of Yashima from the Genpei War was right nearby if you're into Japanese history.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Grand Fromage posted:

There is really nothing to do but it's a nice seaside and there's stuff to eat. Also the Battle of Yashima from the Genpei War was right nearby if you're into Japanese history.

see now i think this sounds awesome

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
There's also a creepy wax museum depicting the battle and some baseball players.

http://www.yashima-artvillage.info/english/museum/heike.html

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think my group has decided to do Disney Sea.

Is buying tickets online straightforward?

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Came back from my trip yesterday. It was great, and the itinerary I made (with some input from you guys) was pretty much perfect. Did everything we wanted to do plus some extra stuff without being rushed for the most part. All the food was excellent too.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
How to buy Ghibli Museum tickets online from Lawson, based on my experience in February (warning, it's a complete shitshow):

Preparing for the sale:
First, figure out the starting date and time of the sale for the tickets you want. Tickets for any given month go on sale at 10am JST on the 10th of the previous month. So, for all tickets in March, the sale date is February 10th at 10am in Japan, which may be, if you're in many other parts of the world, February 9th for you.

Make sure you're sitting at your computer when the sale starts. For better results, have friends or family trying to get tickets for you at the same time. Tell them the date/time you're going for (10am/12pm/2pm/4pm are available for every day the museum is open; it's closed on Tuesdays). Also have the address of your hotel, your passport number, and your credit card handy. Block off an hour of time for the ticket-buying process, and get ready for extreme frustration. No joke, it took me 55 minutes to get my tickets.

Open your browser(s) to https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/sitetop and scroll to the month listings at the bottom. Note your month that is "Not Yet On Sale". Good idea: Hit F12 on your browser and open the network tab. The ticket-buying process involves a lot of web requests behind the scenes, and most of them can fail silently, so watch this tab for errors. This way, you know when to start over, instead of wasting time waiting for something that will never load.

When the sale starts:
Refresh the page you've been sitting on. You'll probably get errors for quite a while before it actually loads. When it does load, click the now-differently-colored button next to your month to load the calendar screen. You'll probably get even more errors trying to do this.

Once it does load, bookmark the page, and come back to it directly whenever you get an error, instead of going back to the first page. You'll notice on the calendar that each date and time has a symbol showing how many tickets are remaining. Note that if it looks like your time sold out, that may not actually be the case. When I bought my tickets, my time showed as sold out in one browser and available in another.

Click the time you want, and if it works, you'll get a pop-up with one "Admission" button to click on. If that button works, you'll be able to select the number of tickets you want per age group. At the bottom of the pop-up is another button that will take you to a different site to complete the ordering process. By the way, all three of these buttons can and will constantly fail to load. Watch your network tab, and reload the calendar via your bookmark every time it happens. It took me a half hour of attempts before the redirect to the other site worked.

Once the other site loads, you have more screens to go through to create a login and enter your contact information. Don't worry, these screens can also fail to load, and if they do, you're back to square one from your calendar bookmark again.

If you manage to get all the way to the end, you can finally enter your payment and print out your confirmation. Warning: The museum staff will make sure that the name and passport number on your confirmation match your actual passport (that I sure hope you brought with you to the museum). Make sure you don't screw those up.

Congrats! You made it through what may be the most frustrating online ticketing system in the world!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

TheEye posted:

How to buy Ghibli Museum tickets online from Lawson, based on my experience in February (warning, it's a complete shitshow):

Preparing for the sale:
First, figure out the starting date and time of the sale for the tickets you want. Tickets for any given month go on sale at 10am JST on the 10th of the previous month. So, for all tickets in March, the sale date is February 10th at 10am in Japan, which may be, if you're in many other parts of the world, February 9th for you.

Make sure you're sitting at your computer when the sale starts. For better results, have friends or family trying to get tickets for you at the same time. Tell them the date/time you're going for (10am/12pm/2pm/4pm are available for every day the museum is open; it's closed on Tuesdays). Also have the address of your hotel, your passport number, and your credit card handy. Block off an hour of time for the ticket-buying process, and get ready for extreme frustration. No joke, it took me 55 minutes to get my tickets.

Open your browser(s) to https://l-tike.com/st1/ghibli-en/sitetop and scroll to the month listings at the bottom. Note your month that is "Not Yet On Sale". Good idea: Hit F12 on your browser and open the network tab. The ticket-buying process involves a lot of web requests behind the scenes, and most of them can fail silently, so watch this tab for errors. This way, you know when to start over, instead of wasting time waiting for something that will never load.

When the sale starts:
Refresh the page you've been sitting on. You'll probably get errors for quite a while before it actually loads. When it does load, click the now-differently-colored button next to your month to load the calendar screen. You'll probably get even more errors trying to do this.

Once it does load, bookmark the page, and come back to it directly whenever you get an error, instead of going back to the first page. You'll notice on the calendar that each date and time has a symbol showing how many tickets are remaining. Note that if it looks like your time sold out, that may not actually be the case. When I bought my tickets, my time showed as sold out in one browser and available in another.

Click the time you want, and if it works, you'll get a pop-up with one "Admission" button to click on. If that button works, you'll be able to select the number of tickets you want per age group. At the bottom of the pop-up is another button that will take you to a different site to complete the ordering process. By the way, all three of these buttons can and will constantly fail to load. Watch your network tab, and reload the calendar via your bookmark every time it happens. It took me a half hour of attempts before the redirect to the other site worked.

Once the other site loads, you have more screens to go through to create a login and enter your contact information. Don't worry, these screens can also fail to load, and if they do, you're back to square one from your calendar bookmark again.

If you manage to get all the way to the end, you can finally enter your payment and print out your confirmation. Warning: The museum staff will make sure that the name and passport number on your confirmation match your actual passport (that I sure hope you brought with you to the museum). Make sure you don't screw those up.

Congrats! You made it through what may be the most frustrating online ticketing system in the world!

THX!!! Linked from OP!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stringent posted:

Me and my boyfriend are are both vegans and allergic to rice and on a very tight budget, could you recommend some restaurants in Tottori?

Thanks!

Reposting a classic <3

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
as someone who has actually sat across a table from Stringent in real life and listened to him talk politics, it's completely unsurprising that he gets probated for a week for his views, lol

but ya, I'm the worst, I'm the worst, I know, I'll show myself out

edit: reading the threat he got probated for is so good, I can not stop laughing

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 30, 2019

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

life hack: don't talk politics

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LyonsLions posted:

There is a fairly cheap Shanghai to Takamatsu flight, and Takamatsu is a good place if you just want a chill, relaxing trip. Not so much if you want to do lots of stuff though because there isn’t much to do. But for a chill trip with babby it’s pretty good. If you stay near the city center you can easily walk, train, or bus to everywhere that’s worth going.

If you are coming from shanghai then definitely do takamatsu.

It’s a super small town with a tad of city and the best thing is to take a ferry down to the art islands of Naoshima.

Not much to do and enjoy the art exhibits and definitely family friend. Pace of life is slow, you can also rent a car and drive around shikoku and give kotohira a visit, there’s a giant ryokan and the prices are cheaper. I stayed at an old merchants house and there was a time slot for family onsen included.

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006
Thanks for the recommendations guys. Takamatsu sounds pretty ideal, but I can't seem to find the flight from shanghai, the spring airlines website lists the route but doesn't show any availability when you search :(

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Then I’ve got a couple of quote unquote “adults” to reassure. :shepface:

No you don't need to buy them in advance. If you need to leave at a specific time ( not like 15 ~30 mins later), it is prudent to buy tickets at least a day in advance, but for most travelers it's unnecessary . Showing up at the station and buying your shinkansen tickets on the day is totally normal.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
As a professional anime opinion haver, I feel like I have to come in here and say the rumors of the death of Akihabara are greatly exaggerated.
In the past three days I did Nakano Broadway, Shibuya Mandarake, and Akihabara. I kinda wish I skipped the other two and spent more time in Akiba because there's just so much goddamned weeb shopping there I didn't have nearly enough time for (before they started closing places at 8pm on a Saturday what the hell). I'm gonna try to go back today.
I feel like there were actually less department stores full of luxury goods for Chinese people than there were when I was last here in 2014? But I don't have numbers to confirm that at all.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
AFAIK, the death of Akihabara is more related to the hobby electronics side than the anime side. But yeah, there are tons of small shops hidden in the alleyways and even in upper floors of the main strip. You'll have to wade through the crowds at the main intersections near the big chain stores but it's more manageable the closer you get to Suehirocho station.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackbox posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. Takamatsu sounds pretty ideal, but I can't seem to find the flight from shanghai, the spring airlines website lists the route but doesn't show any availability when you search :(

What day are you looking for? Looks like they have flights every day except Wednesday and Sunday.

blackbox
Aug 7, 2006

LyonsLions posted:

What day are you looking for? Looks like they have flights every day except Wednesday and Sunday.

I think it might just be a problem with their website because it doesn't allow me to select a date for any flight :doh: When I google the route directly it takes me to a different page, which does show the availability

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

leather fedora posted:

AFAIK, the death of Akihabara is more related to the hobby electronics side than the anime side. But yeah, there are tons of small shops hidden in the alleyways and even in upper floors of the main strip. You'll have to wade through the crowds at the main intersections near the big chain stores but it's more manageable the closer you get to Suehirocho station.

i generally mean this, but also it as being a pleasant place to be because of all the chinese tourists

maybe it's because i was there in summer, but there were just so many rude people everywhere

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Speaking of toy shopping where are some good places in Tokyo and around akihabara? I’m looking for cool nerd things like Godzilla and sci-fi stuff and not so much gundam and bikini girl statues with huge boobs which is all most places seem to stock. Planning to go to the Bandai Akiba and tamashii nations places and probably yellow submarine in shinjuku but are there other good places to shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Doctor Zero posted:

Speaking of toy shopping where are some good places in Tokyo and around akihabara? I’m looking for cool nerd things like Godzilla and sci-fi stuff and not so much gundam and bikini girl statues with huge boobs which is all most places seem to stock. Planning to go to the Bandai Akiba and tamashii nations places and probably yellow submarine in shinjuku but are there other good places to shop?
Mandarake should be right up your alley. They have stores in Akihabara, Shibuya, and Nakano. Nakano is a little further out of the way but it'll also have way more general memorabilia.