Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Icon Of Sin posted:

Air bubbles in an IV line? Sir, I’m the medic here and I say that’s fine. Now lie back and relax, that weird feeling of air going into your veins will be gone soon. (Half the loving line was an air bubble :gonk: )

There’s a drat good reason that the Military Idiots thread is one of the more popular ones in GiP.

It is fine. An IV line has a priming volume of like 20ml tops. It takes like 300ml or an entire coke cans worth to risk killing an adult. Those little bubbles eventually work their way to the lungs and diffuse out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

It is fine. An IV line has a priming volume of like 20ml tops. It takes like 300ml or an entire coke cans worth to risk killing an adult. Those little bubbles eventually work their way to the lungs and diffuse out.

That doesn’t stop it from burning like hell on the way in. I guess I’m lucky he even found the vein, I was dehydrated enough to take 4 bags of saline and barely have to pee. I also come from a scuba diving background where air bubbles in the bloodstream is an immediate “go to the nearest decompression chamber before you are dead or maimed” situation.

Come to think of it, maybe I just should’ve have IV’s/arterial lines run unless I’m actively dying. I had an arterial line put in as part of a medical test at Duke University, and despite verifying with an ultrasound that everything was in the right place, my hand felt like it was on fire and wouldn’t open/close right for a week afterwards. The guy putting in the line was a professor of anesthesiology at Duke Medical School, so I assumed he knew what he was doing...but my hand said otherwise.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I get a disability check each month for my back courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Recently they ponied up for physical therapy, but only 14 sessions 2 of which are evaluations. I was making some headway into not being a bent over old man in his 30's when my sessions ran out. Not a big deal the therapist can just submit for more sessions. Its been a month and I've heard nothing back yet and any progress I was making has been erased.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Good morning OSHA thread

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Icon Of Sin posted:

That doesn’t stop it from burning like hell on the way in. I guess I’m lucky he even found the vein, I was dehydrated enough to take 4 bags of saline and barely have to pee. I also come from a scuba diving background where air bubbles in the bloodstream is an immediate “go to the nearest decompression chamber before you are dead or maimed” situation.

Come to think of it, maybe I just should’ve have IV’s/arterial lines run unless I’m actively dying. I had an arterial line put in as part of a medical test at Duke University, and despite verifying with an ultrasound that everything was in the right place, my hand felt like it was on fire and wouldn’t open/close right for a week afterwards. The guy putting in the line was a professor of anesthesiology at Duke Medical School, so I assumed he knew what he was doing...but my hand said otherwise.

A professor? You were probably his first stick.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The best dental care I've ever received was from students at the dental school. The worst was from a professor at the same dental school who accidentally stitched my gum to my cheek.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GotLag posted:

The best dental care I've ever received was from students at the dental school. The worst was from a professor at the same dental school who accidentally stitched my gum to my cheek.

Well yeah, they were trying to do it right. He already knew everything and didn't have to care.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

sneakyfrog posted:

gently caress the air force.

Not an emptyquote.

Humbug Scoolbus fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 27, 2019

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

other people posted:

A professor? You were probably his first stick.

I had an anesthesiologist place a line in me for a wrist surgery. I hadn't drank any water in 12 hours as per their request. It took him a dozen sticks and an ultrasound to place the line. The poor nurse in the background was dancing back and forth on her feet as he stabbed away at me. I'm sure she could have placed the line easy, but, apparently, I would have had to ask.

I found out later that I should have asked for someone else to give it a try. I just kind of felt bad for him. He was trying so hard and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. My whole left arm was black and blue. Remember, the more you know, the less you do apparently. It was probably his first line placement in months.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

mostlygray posted:

I had an anesthesiologist place a line in me for a wrist surgery. I hadn't drank any water in 12 hours as per their request. It took him a dozen sticks and an ultrasound to place the line. The poor nurse in the background was dancing back and forth on her feet as he stabbed away at me. I'm sure she could have placed the line easy, but, apparently, I would have had to ask.

I found out later that I should have asked for someone else to give it a try. I just kind of felt bad for him. He was trying so hard and I didn't want to hurt his feelings. My whole left arm was black and blue. Remember, the more you know, the less you do apparently. It was probably his first line placement in months.

I'm not gonna go into detail, but imagine that story, only it's a catheter. And you do end up asking if someone else can give it a go.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

mostlygray posted:

Remember, the more you know, the less you do

universal truth

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Zil posted:

Did he ever explain why? Or was it just a case of not trusting machines in general?

This is the OSHA thread. There is more than ample evidence in here for why someone should distrust forklifts and their operators.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I mean, safety first is right on the helmet. If they're stickers can hide damage it's not safe.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

zedprime posted:

The strike a lot of people like to make against it is it takes a little more skill to do the erection right

Practice makes perfect, eventually it becomes second nature and then you've got quite the handy skill on your resume.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWoaPL99WI4

https://i.imgur.com/R1ENiBn.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/mByUdMK.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/JLNBWXx.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/zR3guCE.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Someone needs to go back in time and shoot whoever came up with the idea of powering things with tractor drive shafts. We clearly can't handle the responsibility.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Wearing a hoodie with a pull tie around any chompy machinery makes me curl my toes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

A chunk of concrete hanging by rebar that's being cut by a guy using a plasma torch while standing on an impact hammer mounted on a digger that's sitting on top of the building which produced said chunk of concrete.

It's like Mad Libs: the OSHA edition.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GotLag posted:

Tongue-in-cheek

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
To be fair to the guy, it was the extraction of a badly-impacted wisdom tooth that had to come out in half a dozen pieces over the course of almost an hour (my jaw muscles gave out long before it was finished and I had to have my mouth chocked open). I guess while he was stitching the bloody flaps of gum back together, in all the mess one of the loops passed into the cheek.

I mean he still hosed up but it wasn't just a routine in-and-out extraction and I don't know if a student would have done better overall.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Icon Of Sin posted:

It runs right next to the radial nerve. Sometimes we can tap that fucker, usually it doesn't cause any long term sequelae.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wouldn't mind that logsplitter as much if he used roller stands or something to push the wood in there

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

I wouldn't mind that logsplitter as much if he used roller stands or something to push the wood in there

how are you going to feel the sweet release of death with something like that?

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

Especially the coming back to push the last 1/3 of it in again and again that scares me. Just let it chomp more than half or so of it and get the next branch.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Former DILF posted:

how are you going to feel the sweet release of death with something like that?

It's the worst kind of machine, it wouldn't kill, only hideously maim.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tradies doing surgery seems pretty OSHA.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-28/antarctic-medicine-experience-to-be-shared/10945296?pfmredir=sm&sf210025189=1&smid=Page‬

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From the Tesla thread:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

While in Autopilot today on a normal highway (one I use every day), my Model 3 randomly started slowing down. I immediately engaged the accelerator to get back up to speed. Right as I was doing that, I glanced in my rear view to see the effects, and the mirror was FILLED with this truck. The truck then swerved into the other lane to avoid me.

Yes, he was following a little close, but I'm still not exactly sure what happened. No alarms went off, the car just slowed down. Thankfully the other lane was free for him to merge into, and that he didn't jackknife the truck :/

Also, WHY in the world isn't the rear camera included in Dashcam?

Model 3 LR Dual Motor - 2019.5.15

EDIT: here's the full 3 up version of the video - https://imgur.com/a/KKK3JyM

EDIT 2: I tweeted it out https://twitter.com/maddox/status/1110751715085701121

EDIT 3: Well, I got 2019.8.3 pushed to me this afternoon 🤣

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In the oilfield, every company has their own safety program, so when you do their indoc, they give you a sticker you have to put on your hard hat to prove you've done it.

I always put mine on the inside so nobody asked me any hard questions.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bum the Sad posted:

It runs right next to the radial nerve. Sometimes we can tap that fucker, usually it doesn't cause any long term sequelae.

Nurse hit mine during an arterial draw for an O2 saturation test and I had my first (and hopefully, last) vasovagal response. The nurse doing the draw was quite vocal about keeping me present & not sliding out of the chair, as I run 6'2"/300-lbs and she was roughly the size of my leg.

It was incredibly trippy.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
apparently a truck detonated in arkansas yesterday

e: a news link about it with more https://www.ktbs.com/news/texarkana...650d4c6efe.html

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/ogecebel/status/1110918746116218881

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What the gently caress is that?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
God damned amazing is what it is

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Last Chance posted:

What the gently caress is that?

A chair. It's right in the tweet.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

A chair. It's right in the tweet.

Lol I was hoping someone would say this /puppetmaster

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

That got a literal "Ah gently caress!" from me and I closed the tab. I think I got 15 seconds in.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i can think of a couple of improvements

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It must be great to hear a train horn blasting right outside your window at 3 am.