Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

litany of gulps posted:

Running around endlessly in a vain attempt to capture worthless, rebellious ice settlements is always a trap. Recruit a second lord when you can afford it and have them guard any initial settlements worth caring about while your legendary lord pursues valuable land.

I loved playing Har Ganeth, but as I recall, I almost immediately sent Hellebron on the heels of a Blood Night fleet to Ulthuan. Take the shrine of Khaine, kill Alarielle. Hellebron is such a spectacularly powerful combat lord. Once you get the sword and are loose on Ulthuan...

Yeah, I managed to break loose of that cycle after confederating with Karond Kar and have done a pretty decent job of smacking the Skaven and Helves around in southern Naggarond and have now invaded Western Ulthuan. Now that I'm fighting not-Chaos I'm finding the campaign a lot more enjoyable.

I've acutally pacified the North by plonking a Shrine of Khaine and some arenas to maintain order. It's alright - but I probably would've been better off just razing the stupid settlements in the Northwest because I've probaly thrown about 10000 gold or something obscene on settlements that are making me like 150 a turn. The Northeastern ones are probably worth keeping though because it's a victory province and once you get the corruption down a little, it's not that hard to hold onto (as long as nobody attacks you, that is).

The rest of the campaign is just mopping up at this point - I'm by far the biggest/scariest faction on the map and have fully developed my core provinces (well, at least to the level where I can be bothered to develop them). Still have to sweep through and take the rest of Ulthuan, grab a few more of the victory settlements, and, perhaps most annoyingly, wipe the Brettonians and Norscans off the map.

Now trying to decide what to do next - probably going to try a Vampire Coast Campaign, but I really don't like hoard armies.... I might wait for the Lizardmen DLC and go for one of the Lizardmen lords.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Don't ever bother with the northern Norscan settlements in Naggarond. Just raze them and leave them like that.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I updated OP for the vampire coast. I had to move a lot of poo poo around to get under char limit but it's working now.

for anyone interested these take 3-4 hours to put together each race, and as it is I should move stuff around in the existing lists because I change the layout slightly each time I go back :(

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

tomdidiot posted:

Now trying to decide what to do next - probably going to try a Vampire Coast Campaign, but I really don't like hoard armies.... I might wait for the Lizardmen DLC and go for one of the Lizardmen lords.

They're not really a horde army. Legendary lords have access to shipbuilding/horde mechanics, but they still occupy territory and can access all their units from cities. Legendary lords just have the ability to essentially become a mobile city. It's a lot of fun.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I haven't had to face any ZomPirates in the Dwarf campaign until this point. They seem to have a lot of guns; can the Dorfs outshoot them?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find the zombies tend to be short ranged but as dorfs you're slow. Get into combat fast and then focus down their wizards and lords to stop the binding.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They're not really a horde army. Legendary lords have access to shipbuilding/horde mechanics, but they still occupy territory and can access all their units from cities. Legendary lords just have the ability to essentially become a mobile city. It's a lot of fun.

I meant Horde as in loads of lovely low quality units, not Horde as in mobile-on-the-move factions :p

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find the zombies tend to be short ranged but as dorfs you're slow. Get into combat fast and then focus down their wizards and lords to stop the binding.
So same basic strategy as the Vampire Counts, then? Got it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zephro posted:

So same basic strategy as the Vampire Counts, then? Got it.

They're a mite tougher than Vampire Counts because they can put out a lot of hurt with ranged damage while VCs have none, and their zombies are still tarpit trash mobs.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:
I'm a giant chickenshit baby and have only ever played TW games on Normal difficulty. I decided to spice it up and went back to my roots (Empire, because in addition to being chickenshit I am also basic as all get out) but on Very Hard.

It is the most fun I have ever had playing this game.

EVERYTHING MATTERS NOW IT RULES SO MUCH

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're a mite tougher than Vampire Counts because they can put out a lot of hurt with ranged damage while VCs have none, and their zombies are still tarpit trash mobs.
Fair enough, and that's kinda what I'm wondering. I like to play Dwarfs as gunline-heavy, since they can outshoot pretty much any other faction between high armour, shields on Quarrelers and Engineer buffs. Just wondering whether that's a viable way to play against VamPirates since lots-o'-shooting appears to be their thing as well. Guess I'll find out!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

tomdidiot posted:

I meant Horde as in loads of lovely low quality units, not Horde as in mobile-on-the-move factions :p

Their roster is a lot more interesting to play with than you're giving it credit for. Zombies suck, because they're zombies, but the zombies have guns, and you get access to mortars early which forces your enemy to march right into those guns. It's pretty satisfying to wreck Tyrion's poo poo like 10 turns into the game with a bunch of poo poo tier zombies. As a bonus, later on you get to supplement these tactics by having your enemy march into the gun line, and if they make it there you hit them with undead berserkers, giant crabs with zombies (with guns) riding them, or giant shipwreck gundams with cannon arms. It's great.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

tomdidiot posted:

You haven't lived until you used the Queen Bess, watch it mulch a good portion of the enemy army and get to the results screen to see that it really did kick as much rear end as you thought it did.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

the heebie-gbs posted:

I'm a giant chickenshit baby and have only ever played TW games on Normal difficulty. I decided to spice it up and went back to my roots (Empire, because in addition to being chickenshit I am also basic as all get out) but on Very Hard.

It is the most fun I have ever had playing this game.

EVERYTHING MATTERS NOW IT RULES SO MUCH

I've only completed Legendary as Vampirates' Noctilus. It's just not as fun as VH, because they take away almost every piece of information during combat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zephro posted:

Fair enough, and that's kinda what I'm wondering. I like to play Dwarfs as gunline-heavy, since they can outshoot pretty much any other faction between high armour, shields on Quarrelers and Engineer buffs. Just wondering whether that's a viable way to play against VamPirates since lots-o'-shooting appears to be their thing as well. Guess I'll find out!

You need something to take out their big monster units. Because you can't maintain line cohesion against a horde of giant gun crabs. Their actual gun infantry is fairly poo poo tbh, and you should win the gun-off. But their monster units and artillery are dangerous. Especially as they get mortars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have just discovered Bright Wizards.

Also: HOLY gently caress BRIGHT WIZARDS. That flaming skull spell can kill an entire frontline in maybe two casts. It's like Sienna Fuegonasus joined the army.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
At the very end of my most recent vcoast game i went full collegia titanica with noctilus(on a necrofex), wight, bess, ror necrofex and 16 regular necrofexes. It made the finale a hell of a lot easier than the first time when I went with a load of handgun zombies.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
So speaking of Lores of Magic... I've found a lot of them pretty dissapointing.

The ones I've liked are
Fire because the damage you can do is obscene
Light mostly because of that stupid net
Life for the healy/tanky poo poo on dragons and the like.

Shadows I've been prety dissapoitned by because it's mostly juist leadership debuffs in a game where it doesn't seem that important.

Maybe I'm just playing this wrong.

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Their roster is a lot more interesting to play with than you're giving it credit for. Zombies suck, because they're zombies, but the zombies have guns, and you get access to mortars early which forces your enemy to march right into those guns. It's pretty satisfying to wreck Tyrion's poo poo like 10 turns into the game with a bunch of poo poo tier zombies. As a bonus, later on you get to supplement these tactics by having your enemy march into the gun line, and if they make it there you hit them with undead berserkers, giant crabs with zombies (with guns) riding them, or giant shipwreck gundams with cannon arms. It's great.

Wait a second!!! You mean to tell me there are other units for the Zomb-pirates outside of the Shipwreck gundams??? What the poo poo. I guess I have PTSD from so many Zombpirate campaigns. No matter what I do, I inevitably stack whole armies with nothing but those cannon armed monstrosities and maybe... MAYBE... 4 crab units. Who needs tactics when you can knock down 16 entire units before they ever make it across the board.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

tomdidiot posted:

The ones I've liked are

Shadows I've been prety dissapoitned by because it's mostly juist leadership debuffs in a game where it doesn't seem that important.

Shadows is solid, it has:

A spammable group DoT spell you start with.
A decent wind attack in the shape of a scythe loving things up.
A good vortex attack that does good AP damage and most importantly does NOT move around so it is reliable.

The debuff spells are really good too which affect main stats and armour respectively.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Shadows is a great lore. It, Fire, Life, and Vampires are up there for my favorites. It's versatile and pretty powerful.

Vampires and Life are in there just because of the healing, tbh, and I'd probably put Shadows over Life given the choice unless I'm running a particularly monster heavy army.

E: Deeps has got some style though, I'll give it that.
E2: I forgot about Dark and Ruin, which are both pretty great.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 27, 2019

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

tomdidiot posted:

The ones I've liked are

Shadows has, like... one leadership debuff?

Shadows: Melkoth's is fairly handy, enfeebling foe is a good duel swing spell, pendulum dices armoured infantry when overcast, and mindrazor doesn't have great duration but it's a pretty powerful buff on the right units.
Fire: Firecloak and flaming sword are both strong buffs, fireball is a good character sniper (though its overcast version is really weird), burning head is a great chaff clearer in campaign.
Beasts: Flock of Doom can put out pretty big damage, transformation is an extremely powerful summoning spell.
Life: Great healing and strong buffs.
Light: Net is crazy, pha's protection is solid, and timewarp has a huge AoE when overcast. Lore attribute is very niche, though.
Heavens: Convergence is a nice little spell for buffing up duelists, wind blast is a great, cheap damage spell, and midnight wind is a solid debuff. Comet can do good work in campaign, too. Useless lore attribute.
High: Tempest and arcane unforging are both very situationally strong. Apotheosis is a cheap heal, but pretty piddly. Probably the least impressive lore.
Death: Strong, unavoidable damage, a good AoE debuff, and a big leadership bomb that can really devastate low-leadership factions.
Dark: Good power regen, soul stealer does damage and heals (on factions that usually suck at healing, too), and word of pain can neuter a duelist pretty hard.
Metal: Rust makes high-damage, low-AP armies very strong, glittering robe makes your strong against that exact composition, and lead is a good debuff. Final transmutation cant be strong against factions with no healing.
Plague: Wither is just plague of rust again, vermintide is a summon and therefore good, though a little crippled compared to most other summons.
Ruin: Warp lightning is the bane of siege attackers everywhere, howling warpgale is good against the right enemy if you have lots of slings, and death frenzy is a great buff.
Big Waagh: Gaze is good for sniping lightly armoured lords and heroes, and you have two great attack buffs. Foot is very strong, but hard to land outside of campaign.
Little Waagh: Glare is just Gaze again, Sneaky Stabbin' and Itchy Nuisance are both good but unfortunately short in duration.
Vampires: Invocation is probably the strongest spell in the game. Zombie summons are great, especially the pirate version. Danse macabre is okay.
Wild: It's a free cygor.
Deep: Crab summoning is great, but the lore gets overshadowed by vampires pretty hard. Fog of the damned is a pretty solid AoE debuff. Vangheist's is very powerful but surprisingly unreliable.
Nehekara: Dessication is a great debuff, cursed blades and protection are solid enough buffs, especially if you need the anti-large punch. Not great early in the campaign due to the lack of good targets for most spells.

In general, big AoE damage spells are better in campaign than in multiplayer, due to a combination of the AI's love of clumping up and the ability to slow or pause the game. There are still some that I like in quick play, though, like wind blast and pendulum. Buffs and debuffs to melee attack are pretty much always real valuable, but be wary of the duration on them.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Fireball isn't a character sniper, it's a 'cut a bloody path through an entire enemy line' damage dealer. It's very cost effective if you can flank them with a wizard on a horse, pretty bad if you are casting from a flying mount.

Little Waaagh's Vindictive Glare is the best single unit sniper in the game by a wide margin.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 27, 2019

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I use it for infantry killing all the time in campaign, but "just bring a sorcerer that spams fireball at enemy characters" is absolutely a thing in quick play.

Glare is undeniably better at that, though, no question.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Davh had a good (albeit long) comparison of the various missile spells at https://youtu.be/HuEpVcmNjuc

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Any armor buffs and debuffs can make a unit unkillable or die to a stiff breeze, don't underestimate what -60 armor can do to a fresh unit, I've seen princes on dragons drop dead in 5 seconds after landing with rust on them, I've seen ironbreakers fold from the front in 10 seconds to norscan berserkers, this is in multiplayer too.

Flat minus melee attack and defense can make an average unit useless for the duration as they get hit by everything and miss everything but 5% with 0 attack and defense.

Leadership debuffs can let you focus on a wavering section of a fight to tip them over and then send wolves or light cavalry after them to keep them from returning to the fight, keep in mind the stat debuffs act like a leadership debuff too because they will get morale penalties for taking more damage and fighting a losing battle.

Most of the small cone AOE's were buffed in warhammer 2 to be obscenely deadly for their cost even against armored infantry, it's still safe to ignore most of the random vortex abilities because you don't want to gamble a battle on a effect that may or may not do anything when you need it to.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 27, 2019

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Norsca can do so much work with plague of rust. Berserkers, hunters, and skinwolves become insanely efficient.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
IIRC Lucky's Overhaul allowed you to cast vortex spells in a predefined direction and it was OP as hell (also really fun).

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Speaking of tweaks, anyone got a good reshade preset? The ones on the preset site are horrible.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Hmm.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
stupid sexy slaanders is already on the 2nd post

also if anyone has that photoshop of the deckdropper bat photobombing the fight between horus and the emperor can you link it, I want to shove it into the OP

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Does anyone know if there's a mod that beefs up the Chaos invasions? There are several on the Steam workshop, like this one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1575917911

But there are comments saying it's stopped working etc. Anyone got one that definitely does still work?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Zephro posted:

Does anyone know if there's a mod that beefs up the Chaos invasions? There are several on the Steam workshop, like this one:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1575917911

But there are comments saying it's stopped working etc. Anyone got one that definitely does still work?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1470815758

This doesn't make the initial Chaos invasions stronger, but they can spawn an army every 18 turns for each province they have gate in.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My experience with leadership debuffs is that they can win the battle, but take a lot more timing than a combat debuff to be effective.

Weirdly I’d put them in a category with chariots where their effectiveness is partially based on how much micro your other units need.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best leadership debuff is killing a bunch of dudes. This is my philosophy when deciding pbetween -leadership or -melee defense/armor on enemies.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Leadership is all or nothing. There is no penalty for it being low or bonus for it being high so long as you don't go under the break point. So, leadership debuffs only matter when it makes the difference between breaking (or crumbling) a unit or not. I have had some success using the -16 leadership spell in death on front lines. Hit it across several unit, when one breaks nearby units get additional leadership penalties. This can turn into a mass route for that part of the battlefield, which is always nice.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I dont know posted:

Leadership is all or nothing. There is no penalty for it being low or bonus for it being high so long as you don't go under the break point. So, leadership debuffs only matter when it makes the difference between breaking (or crumbling) a unit or not. I have had some success using the -16 leadership spell in death on front lines. Hit it across several unit, when one breaks nearby units get additional leadership penalties. This can turn into a mass route for that part of the battlefield, which is always nice.

yeah, if you pair those debuffs with a terror-causing unit you can get a mass route going incredibly fast

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I hope we see some rat/dino announcement at EGX next week. CA usually has a big presence there. Maybe that’s even where Warham 2 was announced?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

turn off the TV posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1470815758

This doesn't make the initial Chaos invasions stronger, but they can spawn an army every 18 turns for each province they have gate in.
Hm, thanks. I'll give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any good mods to replace Forced March with something more useful? There was a great army stance mod for Warhammer 1 called Expedition March that reduced your movement rate but also reduced your attrition in inhospitable terrain. It was great to stopping the fleeing armies bullshit and it was a really useful stance when attacking heavily corrupted areas.