Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

But the caper here is that the vision-Skyggemyrians are going to keep Lyndon alive until the war ends, and then right before they kill him, they tell him everything they need their real selves to know. So he has a vision about a Skyggemyrian saying "this city has better defenses than it seems, don't attack it" or whatever, and then stabbing him.

Which means that even if this is all a vision that'll get undone, there's still something actually at stake. If vision-Audrey rescues him, then she can make sure he dies in a way that doesn't give them any information. She can even make sure real-Lyndon has information that helps him escape the embassy without being taken prisoner.

It could be all this, but there's also another possibility: simple self-preservation. The Skyggemyrian knows that it will die (because the timeline ends) as soon as Lyndon dies. So it's keeping him alive and out of the way for the rest of Lyndon's life, so that the Skyggemyrian has live the rest of its life.

If they just wanted war info, they could have killed him instantly and had a Skyggemyrian touch the scepter instead. Lyndon would be inclined to lie to his captors, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if Skyggemyr is currently hunting up other magical artifacts that might help them extend Lyndon's lifespan.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sounds like some sort of apocalypse is about to happen.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I think the Skyggemyrians know about some crazy event and decided to keep Lyndon around to witness it and become an advocate for whatever they’re doing in the real timeline. I’m not convinced we’re seeing how the scepter’s death vision sausage is simulated, though. But I guess that’d require a very Thorsby explanation to get out of the scepter timeline, since Lyndon ultimately getting killed would have just given him that vision initially.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dinosaurs! posted:

I think the Skyggemyrians know about some crazy event and decided to keep Lyndon around to witness it and become an advocate for whatever they’re doing in the real timeline. I’m not convinced we’re seeing how the scepter’s death vision sausage is simulated, though. But I guess that’d require a very Thorsby explanation to get out of the scepter timeline, since Lyndon ultimately getting killed would have just given him that vision initially.

Only in the real timeline.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

:aaaaa: Ok good point, but no one who’s touched the scepter had any context for their death. If people witnessed the lead up then the crew wouldn’t have been confused about their visions of being killed by each other. I figured Lyndon was on to it with his immortal comment, but maybe the scepter really is broken.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

This may be a stretch, but maybe the Skyggemyrian altered the scepter's vision by recognizing he was in it, and that was something the scepter itself didn't anticipate. Like, maybe the vision was supposed be a short one, ending with Lyndon fleeing the scene and getting killed by the jouster, and that would have been it.
This would imply that the scepter is fallible, though, and able to be outsmarted from within. Which... I guess it could be possible?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dinosaurs! posted:

:aaaaa: Ok good point, but no one who’s touched the scepter had any context for their death. If people witnessed the lead up then the crew wouldn’t have been confused about their visions of being killed by each other. I figured Lyndon was on to it with his immortal comment, but maybe the scepter really is broken.

why do you think were not getting any scenes from Lyndon's perspective as far as he knows this isn't happening

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Who came up with the theo-- oh, right.

BIGGERJ (singing): I'm smarter than Oyvind Thorsby, I'm smarter than Oyvind Thorsby...
(Oyvind points Mjolnir at BiggerJ's head)
OYVIND THORSBY: DU ER IKKE SMARTERE ENN MEG!

So it seems that the initial touch IS included in a death timeline, but only if it can't be avoided, at which point it behaves like all nested touches: non-functionally. There's no way Lyndon wasn't going to use it at that moment.

vyelkin posted:

Okay, new theory:

The Skyggemyrians have been somehow modifying the scepter so that instead of showing the few seconds before your death, it shows you how time elapses from the moment you touch the scepter all the way until you die..

Not necessary. A complete simulation is a complete simulation, even if the user only sees the tail end of it.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 23, 2019

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Rumda posted:

why do you think were not getting any scenes from Lyndon's perspective as far as he knows this isn't happening

I guess plot pacing? Lyndon was an active participant at the start of the timeline. I’m not trying to say he’s been an omniscient observer to everything going on with Audrey, but he’s been doing something (unless he’s frozen) while in captivity for however many years.

Maybe the scepter sims the whole thing and whoever touched it only retains the memory of the final moment? Could the scepter be “broken” because everyone’s in a simulation from someone who touched it earlier and you can’t scepter-ception?

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
"Overhead, without any fuss, the stars were going out."

Dinosaurs! posted:

Maybe the scepter sims the whole thing and whoever touched it only retains the memory of the final moment?

This, exactly. You HAVE to sim the whole thing. A universe simulation is a universe simulation, even if the user doesn't see it all.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Could the scepter be “broken” because everyone’s in a simulation from someone who touched it earlier and you can’t scepter-ception?

It's possible that the 'other person' was still Lyndon, and in the new timeline, the original touch was omitted (as we saw in its first use in the comic) but Lyndon still touched it because he was always going to in that situation. But I wouldn't put it past Thorsby to have Lyndon die, have the universe not end, and then have it turn out that someone else touched it first.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 23, 2019

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
New Strip and it looks like Audrey has a breaking point after all.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
I hope Audrey finds some way to retain her memory after we jump back in time so she can stop Zoozo from dying. Maybe she can stab Lyndon to death while listing all the bad stuff that he needs to prevent.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Eeevil posted:

I hope Audrey finds some way to retain her memory after we jump back in time so she can stop Zoozo from dying. Maybe she can stab Lyndon to death while listing all the bad stuff that he needs to prevent.
Perhaps someone could say some important stuff to the real-world instigating gem-toucher shortly before the timeline ends. Something similar happens in the ending of Return of the Obra Dinn.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Mar 27, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Audrey kills Lyndon with a hammer inscribed with everything thats happened

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I kind of hope we're right now because I love the logic of this theory.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Last panel: "Are we the baddies?"

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

I've just realized that if our theories are correct, with the scepter being used to not just prevent its user's death but perform a dry-run, then the twist is that an interesting mechanic has been explored and exploited, which is EXTREMELY Thorsby. So the twist is that there IS no twist - it's just another Thors-day!

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
"I was never her friend" :cry:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Ouch.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats true though, she was a sword for hire.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I am on the edge of my loving seat

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The universe is collapsing, from the outside toward the center.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Predicting a Thorsby comic is futile, but I'm guessing Lyndon has finally died? Ed: not sure if that needs to be spoiled since it's a guess but better safe than sorry

If anyone else is curious we're about five years 10 months 'forward'.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

uvar posted:

Predicting a Thorsby comic is futile, but I'm guessing Lyndon has finally died? Ed: not sure if that needs to be spoiled since it's a guess but better safe than sorry

If anyone else is curious we're about five years 10 months 'forward'.

If that's the case, then I think that means something really has changed with the way the scepter works. Something like instead of the person who touched the scepter getting the vision, the person closest to them gets it instead or in addition to them. Because I don't think Thorsby would do something like have this whole thing be a diversion where no one remembers it afterwards, that would be so pointless and wouldn't match his storytelling in the other comics. But if we're about to get a few pages of the world ending, and then Audrey wakes up back when Lyndon touches it, and she remembers everything but he only remembers the moment of his death, that would be a huge breakthrough.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

It's entirely possible that Lyndon learned a spell recently that has an odd side effect on the behavior of the scepter, or some other magic is augmenting/twisting how it works.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The main question is, how did piranha head guy know this was going to happen?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is this close to being done? Love this guy's comics but I try to wait until he's finished to start them, so I've been waiting on this one for a while.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

The main question is, how did piranha head guy know this was going to happen?

Maybe he learned about what happens when the scepter gets used during the time they had it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Whatever just started happening is probably the event that little yellow Skyggemyrian said Audrey wouldn’t believe until she saw it. Seems like she’ll be the one with the vision when we snap back to the original timeline. I’m so curious how the scepter’s power transferred to her and how much she’ll remember.

This has been interesting, but I hope Thorsby’s explanation isn’t too contrived.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Dinosaurs! posted:

Whatever just started happening is probably the event that little yellow Skyggemyrian said Audrey wouldn’t believe until she saw it. Seems like she’ll be the one with the vision when we snap back to the original timeline. I’m so curious how the scepter’s power transferred to her and how much she’ll remember.

This has been interesting, but I hope Thorsby’s explanation isn’t too contrived.

It could just be a not related to the sceptre event that the Skyggemyrian knew about because of previous sceptre delves.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

The plot, it thickens.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Why did nobody follow up on his suicide note although I guess also we are looking at the only person who'd care

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why did nobody follow up on his suicide note although I guess also we are looking at the only person who'd care

This is the police force they're dealing with:

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/177

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/178

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/370

LMFAOOOOOOO

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo

vyelkin