Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Speaking of bloated comic book movies I watched Aquaman last night. The stuff that's good is really good, but that movie would be 10X better if they trimmed like 30 mins off of it.

It's barely over two hours but felt like three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neo Rasa posted:

Literally just make it like The Fugitive or the Incredible Hulk series where he almost gets things in order and could conceivably settle down but then OH poo poo his machinations don't work out and he walks off sadly or/and flees into the sunset to the next town.

We need a traditional Scandinavian throat singing cover of the 'Lonely man' Incredible Hulk theme

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lobok posted:

It wasn't Seinfeld, it was from CYE when Larry is on stage and fucks up so bad even Jerry gives up and leaves.

Oh that's why I couldn't place it, I've only seen a little bit of CYE

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Sure, why not https://twitter.com/thr/status/1111047123506741249?s=21

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
The Eternals? Really? That is some pretty deep digging into the archives for stuff to adapt.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cease to Hope posted:

The Eternals? Really? That is some pretty deep digging into the archives for stuff to adapt.

Next couple years will be slim pickings until they can roll out endless mutant flicks from the Fox buyout.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Crackbone posted:

Next couple years will be slim pickings until they can roll out endless mutant flicks from the Fox buyout.

Why would the make the Eternals? The deal is done. They still have good Marvel characters they haven't used. I grew up a diehard Marvel comics fan and just don't get this move. It's almost as bad as when they were trying to force the Inhumans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Why would the make the Eternals? The deal is done. They still have good Marvel characters they haven't used. I grew up a diehard Marvel comics fan and just don't get this move. It's almost as bad as when they were trying to force the Inhumans.

I mean it's worth remembering that prior to its success you could say the exact same thing about Guardians of the Galaxy.

Edit: Also, to a lesser extent, Big Hero 6.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I just need everyone to know I can go a long time without peeing. 3 hour 30 minute movie no problem.

I’m sure that’s why they give you a huge cup anyway for emergency storage.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Eternals can be rad if someone like Tarsem Singh was doing it.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
Ant Man can't go up Thanos' rear end because Thanos is a top

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Daddy Thanos posted:

Did you register just to make this post?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ImpAtom posted:

I mean it's worth remembering that prior to its success you could say the exact same thing about Guardians of the Galaxy.

Edit: Also, to a lesser extent, Big Hero 6.

To an extent but Guardians of the Galaxy had way more runs than Eternals. I collected Marvel Comics as a kid, I came across Guardians comics. Eternals is something I don't know much about and I was diehard. It seems like they've had a few one year runs but never a long running series. I'm just shocked they aren't doing a few sequels to other movies then pumping out X-Men and Fantastic Four asap.

You are right that Guardians were lesser known Marvel property when the movie came out. I personally wouldn't have thought to make that movie when they did but they had way more material to draw from. If they were going to do something lesser known, I'd love to see them go really out there and do Great Lakes Avengers.

Big Hero 6 is weird because they didn't connect it to the MCU. I also didn't like that movie but that's irrelevant

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Well, the GotG in the movie only barely resemble the comic versions. They drew only the barest minimum and mostly used the basic concept. They could do that here too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

One of the first characters rumored for it is Hercules, which makes it sound like they are merging the Marvel Greco-Roman pantheon with the Eternals. In the comics, they both confusingly co-exist with each other so Eternals speedster Makari and warrior woman Thena are separate characters from gods Mercury and Athena, with Makari and Thena being worshiped as Mercury and Athena in ancient Greece. Hercules is often confused by everyone, Eternals and gods included, with an Eternal known as The Forgotten One, because they went on adventures together a few times.

I don't blame them if they want to keep it simple for the MCU.

The movie is rumored to take place thousands of years in the past anyway.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Daddy Thanos posted:

Welcome back, Question Friend.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Big Hero 6 is weird because they didn't connect it to the MCU. I also didn't like that movie but that's irrelevant

Same.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Marvel's also announced that Eternals will have an openly gay lead:

https://twitter.com/charlesmurphths/status/1101588963377201154?s=21

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gatts posted:

I just need everyone to know I can go a long time without peeing. 3 hour 30 minute movie no problem.

I’m sure that’s why they give you a huge cup anyway for emergency storage.

People drink pop and poo poo or, even worse, alcohol, at movies. If you typically dont, you dont need to pee without other issues.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Darko posted:

People drink pop and poo poo or, even worse, alcohol, at movies. If you typically dont, you dont need to pee without other issues.

I don't drink at theatres because my goal is to be as loud and obnoxious as possible and alcohol would be cheating

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Spacebump posted:

To an extent but Guardians of the Galaxy had way more runs than Eternals. I collected Marvel Comics as a kid, I came across Guardians comics. Eternals is something I don't know much about and I was diehard. It seems like they've had a few one year runs but never a long running series. I'm just shocked they aren't doing a few sequels to other movies then pumping out X-Men and Fantastic Four asap.

You do Eternals to bring in the Celestials as a fake-out big bad and then something like Galactus as the real big bad of the next phase of the MCU. Though I don’t really know how even “devours entire planets” is supposed to compare to “wipes out half the life in the entire universe”. What higher stakes exist?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Klungar posted:

You do Eternals to bring in the Celestials as a fake-out big bad and then something like Galactus as the real big bad of the next phase of the MCU. Though I don’t really know how even “devours entire planets” is supposed to compare to “wipes out half the life in the entire universe”. What higher stakes exist?
Wiping out half the cars in the universe? Destroying everyone's ability to quip at inappropriate moments? WELCOME TO THE UNQUIPPENING

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Wiping out 60%, obviously.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Wiping out 60%, obviously.

Wiping out everything but the 0.01%.

Then when that's defeated, the ultimate ultimate evil: Wiping out only the 0.01%

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Magneto Was Right

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

Why is it even worse to drink alcohol at the movies? The fact that I can have a beer while watching a movie only enhances the experience.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Time was I could jam down a extra large soda and popcorn though Return of the King without issue. Now I have to get up during an exposition scene in The Kid Who Would Be King like anybody else.

I don't think they are making a judgement call on beer, they are saying it makes you need to pee more.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Time was I could jam down a extra large soda and popcorn though Return of the King without issue. Now I have to get up during an exposition scene in The Kid Who Would Be King like anybody else.

I don't think they are making a judgement call on beer, they are saying it makes you need to pee more.

Oh. Fair enough. This is true. I stepped out of Captain Marvel during what I thought was a slow moment, and ended up missing Jude Law revealing he was evil. It wasn't surprising, I saw it coming, but it still would have been nice to see the turn.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Serious question, who’s actually left of note pre-Fox buyout for Marvel to use? Guardians were obviously not first stringer material but they were weird enough to have a hook.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crackbone posted:

Serious question, who’s actually left of note pre-Fox buyout for Marvel to use? Guardians were obviously not first stringer material but they were weird enough to have a hook.

It's easy to forget now, but the bedrock of the MCU were second stringers at best before all this started. Iron Man? Captain America? Thor? The Avengers? A bunch of jokes and/or characters loathed after the dumb as gently caress Civil War.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cythereal posted:

It's easy to forget now, but the bedrock of the MCU were second stringers at best before all this started. Iron Man? Captain America? Thor? The Avengers? A bunch of jokes and/or characters loathed after the dumb as gently caress Civil War.

To avoid confusion, I believe this man is referring to the comic book storyline and not the movie.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Crackbone posted:

(Not exhaustive)

Characters who haven't shown up in the MCU
Moon Knight
Ms. Marvel
Squirrel Girl
Man-Thing
Blade
Power Pack
Nova

Characters who haven't shown up in the movies
Ghost Rider
Quake
Deathlok
Daredevil
Punisher
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Jessica Jones
Hellcat
Inhumans
Cloak & Dagger
Runaways

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Namor is also noteworthy, but he seems to exist in the Universal Studio miasma that Hulk also operates in.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you think Marvel would ever make a Hercules movie? I bet they could pull it off.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Do you think Marvel would ever make a Hercules movie? I bet they could pull it off.

Hercules is apparently going to be part of the previously discussed Eternals movie.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Klungar posted:

Hercules is apparently going to be part of the previously discussed Eternals movie.

Darn he would be perfect for a buddy movie with Amadeus Cho

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Look having a beer or two at a movie is fine but if you are worried about having to take a leak because of it just smoke some weed before going into the theater instead.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Why is it even worse to drink alcohol at the movies? The fact that I can have a beer while watching a movie only enhances the experience.

Worse for peeing. Alcohol tends to make people pee more.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Darn he would be perfect for a buddy movie with Amadeus Cho

The best mci buddy cop movie would have been heroes for hire set in the 1970s. THen in the modern movies you can have them as old men still kicking rear end for money. I mean if they can make hank pym the captain America of the 1980s, heroes for hire set in the 70s would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHzJSvVGn8k

This movie is visually superior to End Game in so many ways that it is frankly embarrassing.

Also, despite not having the stakes of half the universe being killed, it STILL feels higher stakes and more dire than anything in Infinity War.