Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Nephzinho posted:

I have "unlimited vacation", I just never have time to take any of it. in the last 8 years I've taken one vacation where I wasn't working.

This is the main way that employers get out of paying employees for their banked vacation time when they leave. Many states require that they pay out for banked time, so poof, no banked time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah my last job split it between Personal Days, Sick Days, and Vacation Days so that they could offer a competitive amount of PTO but only need to pay out the barest of minimums. Clever fucks.

Is anyone here paid on commission but also gets any type of PTO? We can take a 1,2,3,4 week vacation literally any time we want, but we get paid $0 while we're out.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

BonerGhost posted:

Dude I went to a gigantic state hospital to work and accidently became 1 of only 2 SMEs on my job for the first 6 months, then the only SME for another 6 months before I said 'gently caress this poo poo, I'm out'.

Every. Day. Was. Horrible.

Being the only person who can do your job is a goddamn nightmare and no company with their heads outside their asses lets it persist. I suppose everyone learns this the hard way, but it bears stating regardless: if they can't get people to do the job, they aren't paying enough for how lovely it is.
'sup, solo SME buddy. I did that for nearly 5 years and realized that I was going nuts, and that I was actually choosing not to take vacations because the stress of knowing that the work was piling up in my absence just ruined it. Later found out this was true for others on my team who had similar niche knowledge/skills.

In our case it wasn't that the company couldn't find people--they had drunk from the forbidden Six Sigma/Lean Management cup, and decided that a state of perpetually burned out employees was in fact the most efficient situation, so they never hired anyone extra.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I'm not trying to be an apologist for corporate America grinding us all into loving dust but that always seems like a problem that doesn't have an easy answer. I've also been a lone SME a number of times. Going on vacation worry free was impossible and there's the bus factor but there was no real need for two of me on a day to day basis. So how exactly do you adequately cover for someone that has really niche knowledge/skills the 2-4 weeks a year they're out?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Barry posted:

I'm not trying to be an apologist for corporate America grinding us all into loving dust but that always seems like a problem that doesn't have an easy answer. I've also been a lone SME a number of times. Going on vacation worry free was impossible and there's the bus factor but there was no real need for two of me on a day to day basis. So how exactly do you adequately cover for someone that has really niche knowledge/skills the 2-4 weeks a year they're out?
The company or the business unit or whatever needs to maintain reasonable expectations of the value they can extract from the individual and include this in their considerations for operation and growth. Good luck accomplishing this. The solution as an individual is to make it abundantly clear that you don't give a gently caress about the corporate unit's well-being at the expense of your own, and you demonstrate this by taking vacations whenever the gently caress you feel like. If you're so valuable and hard to replace, then they can't replace you for doing this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

You train others to be able to do the basics required to keep the wheels turning while The Expert is out of the office. If it’s the kind of thing that you have to have full capacity at all times you need to hire a second person. If it’s some crazy black magic known by one person on that planet, guess what he’s going to have to train someone. On the job training isn’t poplar with management but it can be necessary in situations like this.

This isn’t even just an employee QOL issue. If someone is truly indispensable it’s bad business because if they leave or die you’re hosed and if they ever figure out they have you over a barre they are going to ask for a lot more money.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Hoodwinker posted:

The company or the business unit or whatever needs to maintain reasonable expectations of the value they can extract from the individual and include this in their considerations for operation and growth. Good luck accomplishing this.
"We could make $X in profit this year and grind our people into dust in the meantime. Alternatively we could make a couple percentage points less in profit, pay our C-level people a few percent less, and then use those funds to address staffing and quality-of-life issues. Who the hell are we kidding? Stick with option A!"

Seriously though, in every review I said "You can't simultaneously have pie-in-the-sky expectations along with understaffing. You can't be shocked at low morale when you yell at people for not getting everything done and your response to their complaints is to just take on more projects for our team."

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

While at the corporation, we actively didn't write anything down because it was job security and gently caress them.

Now, we keep hiring people and teaching them each a piece of the whole until they hit their saturation point. Will continue doing that until we find someone who I actually trust to do things without someone looking over their shoulder. One of these years! It is never going to happen

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Nephzinho posted:

While at the corporation, we actively didn't write anything down because it was job security and gently caress them.

Now, we keep hiring people and teaching them each a piece of the whole until they hit their saturation point. Will continue doing that until we find someone who I actually trust to do things without someone looking over their shoulder. One of these years! It is never going to happen

You might have work control issues. I say that because I also have work control issues and refuse to trust these chucklefucks here with my responsibilities at work or really any other single human in my freelance projects.

They'd probably manage fine and/or gently caress it up a smidge, it doesn't really matter in the big picture because it's an endless grind no matter what but my brain refuses to relax about it.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 27, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

KingSlime posted:

You might have work control issues. I say that because I also have work control issues and refuse to trust these chucklefucks here with my responsibilities at work or really any other single human in my freelance projects.

They'd probably manage fine and/or gently caress it up a smidge, it doesn't really matter in the big picture because it's an endless grind no matter what but my brain refuses to relax about it.

I definitely had this when I was younger; now idgaf because I've broken the Stockholm Syndrome relationship of my first job (that lasted 10+years). Everything said above is true: if you're irreplaceable, they won't get rid of you for taking vacation. I refuse to give into this puritanical bs that suffering is righteous.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah my last job split it between Personal Days, Sick Days, and Vacation Days so that they could offer a competitive amount of PTO but only need to pay out the barest of minimums. Clever fucks.

Is anyone here paid on commission but also gets any type of PTO? We can take a 1,2,3,4 week vacation literally any time we want, but we get paid $0 while we're out.

We call it the unlimited time off plan here, but same deal as you guys.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

crazypeltast52 posted:

unlimited time off

Which is also what we're rewarded with if we try to use too much :thumbsup:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

BonerGhost posted:

I definitely had this when I was younger; now idgaf because I've broken the Stockholm Syndrome relationship of my first job (that lasted 10+years). Everything said above is true: if you're irreplaceable, they won't get rid of you for taking vacation. I refuse to give into this puritanical bs that suffering is righteous.

Also most people are waaay more replaceable than they think, even if you're an SME. If they need to get by without you, they'll find a way.

I try to remind myself of this on a regular basis. Good thing job hopping is cool now!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Friend of mine was consulted on "should we change to unlimited vacation in order to encourage people to take less" and told his boss "I mean, if you want, but I can tell you right now I'm going to take at least one more week of vacation a year if you do"

They didn't switch to it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

KingSlime posted:

This happened to the IT guy at my last place. He was upset because he was working 60+ hours a week busting his rear end keeping things running for a 250 person company. So they made him IT manager (he had an actual 4 year degree, not just tech school certificates) and put 2 people under him. One was an existing "IT" person who couldn't tell his rear end from a hole in the ground, and then they hired a 2nd experienced IT professional.

He's still working 60+ hours a week doing the grunt work because he only delegates the most basic of IT tasks to his reports. He constantly whines about it and about how he can't trust his reports, but if you never give them anything difficult then they'll never learn to do it. The one guy was kind of an idiot though, but he was a nepotism hire so there was nothing that could really be done about it. Those are everywhere in small companies...

More importantly, here's something to think about : If they can't fire you because you're the only one who can do your job, then guess what? They can't promote you either.

Your best case there is you'll try and quit one day, then get a pay bump when they beg you to stay, but you'll wind up leaving a short while later anyhow because the money wasn't worth it. SMEs typically don't want to be doing the exact same thing their whole life. Some are fine with it, but in my experience the type of people who invest that level of time/effort in to something are capable of so much more, so they'll get bored if they get stuck in a rut.

So if you're TRULY that valuable, then you need to convince your management that you need someone under you. If you're not a leader type, then at least get someone junior officially designated as your backup and part-time help, which will morph over time in to a replacement so you can move on to bigger and better things.

But this is all ideal management/leadership bullshit. Most likely outcome is everyone gets pissed off and parts ways and chaos ensues for a few months. It's already played out like that so many times, and it'll keep doing that as long as short-sighted idiots keep getting promoted to leadership positions.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

More importantly, here's something to think about : If they can't fire you because you're the only one who can do your job, then guess what? They can't promote you either.

And this is why I ultimately left the last place.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

God drat this is some good wisdom.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DaveSauce posted:

I mean, this is practically a given anyway at most jobs. The way people get promotions nowadays is by getting a new, better job somewhere else.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
So I know that was a stupid management thing to say, but the point I was trying to make is that it's not just on management to fix the problem, you have to be willing to ask for help and to delegate when given the opportunity. Most of the people I see in that situation just whine to themselves and to peers, but never talk to their boss about it. Yes there are plenty of places that will refuse to give help, but most times if you can present the argument properly you have a good chance of getting to a point where you can take a short vacation without your phone blowing up.

Use the bus argument and throw in some, "hey I have some ideas on how to solve [some other problem the company has] but I just don't have the time to look in to them" bullshit and you have a good start.

Being a stubborn SME who doesn't trust others to do the job is a trait that will follow you throughout your career if you don't take steps to fix it. Management can throw a whole team your way, but if you don't make the time to teach them how to do the job right then you're still hosed. So no matter where you go, you'll deal with the same poo poo and blame it on management.

And to be perfectly frank, if management isn't willing to help you, then you are NOT doing as critical of a job function as you've led yourself to believe.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I mean, this is practically a given anyway at most jobs. The way people get promotions nowadays is by getting a new, better job somewhere else.

A thousand times this. If you're some kind of great delegator you might get promoted one extra time to middle management

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

A thousand times this. If you're some kind of great delegator you might get promoted one extra time to middle management

Absolutely, for the most part... but I thought we're talking about People Who Are Really Good At What They DoTM.

Even if you're an awesome individual contributor and avoid leadership like the plague, you're going to delegate to people eventually in your career. You won't be directly managing them, but you'll still have to be able to let go of things and trust them to get things done right.

I mean, you don't HAVE to do that... but the alternative is eventually burning out, and never being in a position to steer big technical decisions or other "big idea" sort of stuff that is normally a result of being an expert on something.

And let's be clear, job hopping rarely nets you a promotion, at least in my industry. It definitely gets you more pay, but it's rare to move up the ladder just by changing jobs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Industry-specific to be sure. My job pays the same at every office of every competitor in every city.

You job hop because the 1-per-20-employees "Manager" quit, died, or job hopped, or because a competitor offers you ~1-3 month's pay to do the exact same poo poo for them, instead.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DaveSauce posted:

And let's be clear, job hopping rarely nets you a promotion, at least in my industry. It definitely gets you more pay, but it's rare to move up the ladder just by changing jobs.
This is true for my industry as well.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yup, true for me as well. My retirement matching vests next year. :getin:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Yup, true for me as well. My retirement matching vests next year. :getin:

Gross, how long did you have to wait for that?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Wiped.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 22, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Gross, how long did you have to wait for that?

3 years.

You see, they also pay in prestige, and can you really put a price on that?

It's somewhere between 100k-300k/year on the low end.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

On one hand, yes it is your responsibility to be on top of this, understand your payroll deductions, and understand the behavior of various pre-tax accounts that your paycheck can be shuffled into. On the other hand I've really never come to grips with a good reason why FSA accounts are set up with this legally required time bomb behavior that makes your money disappear if you don't use it for some reason. The downside is really terrible and dissuades a lot of people from using these accounts to their benefit.

Someone already said but it's not always clear if the numbers you put in are total or per check. Although I haven't seen one that's Monthly. And since it was a new job he definitely should have been looking at those paystubs! If you're like me and get the same amount every week it's easy to ignore but the first few after any change are required reading.

A few years ago I decided to put more into my HSA and bumped the amount by $30 per week, paid weekly. Which went through perfectly, and in October suddenly I was making an extra $40 a week, turns out I was just racing to the same goal, it didn't change the total yearly contribution election.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Inept posted:

Don't get me wrong, the guy's a dweeb for not noticing that. But accelerating the payments so that they're equivalent to a normal year is stupid as hell, or purposefully done so new employees can accidentally pay the FSA plan's costs when they have to forfeit the unspent money.

They didn't accelerate it though. He elected for the max in the 2018 plan year and it divided over the remaining pay periods as it should have. Dude just didn't think about the plan year at all. Many people do want to elect for the max even if it is over 6 months instead of 12 because they have a use for it. Maybe HR could have reached out to confirm if that's what he really wanted, but 5k over 6 months for dependent care is completely believable and probably way below average for most people who work full time and have kids.

All of the plan documents would have spelled out the plan year and the use it or lose it nature of the FSA funds and the deadline to use it. If his benefit portal is like mine it even explicitly told him the per paycheck cost he was committing to, tho it is possible it didn't. If he had entered in the per paycheck cost he wanted to pay and it doubled it for him that'd be really lovely, but he says that he input the total amount he wanted. Well he actually wanted to put in 5400 but the system told him 5k was the max so he put that in for the yearly contribution. I feel for the guy for assuming the year was for 12 months from the date of his hire but that isn't how it works anywhere I have seen and by law they have to provide the plan documents that spell it all out.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So what exactly happens to the forfeited FSA funds at the end of a plan year?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

sparkmaster posted:

Whoever lands on Free Parking gets it

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

sparkmaster posted:

Goes back into the company's accounts.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

edit: forgot what thread I'm in

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Your girl’s back and looking better than ever

https://twitter.com/theprophetpizza/status/1111293104869568512?s=21

https://twitter.com/theprophetpizza/status/1110985420664385536?s=21

She’s the patron saint of this thread.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is an amazing post.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sashaying into the courtroom in handcuffs.

When I read that story I didn’t feel bad for anyone until she tried to rip off her therapist or trainer or whoever it was.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

Do you think that stylist got paid?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Atma McCuddles posted:

Do you think that stylist got paid?

Given the media attention this might legitimately be one of the very few times where "exposure" is an actual benefit and worth doing the work for.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
She’s getting a Netflix special too. Might get another 15 minutes of fame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
She deserves it. She is an x-man whose power is making everyone around her extremely BWM.