Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Spanish Manlove posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8YerWq6qo4

Lol this poo poo sucks hard, I would like to make a kickstarter that prevents their album from coming out.

This is Motion City Soundtrack with a lovely metal guitar tone, fake drums, and a complete lack of talent and wit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Wark Say posted:

Is this stupid or awesome music poo poo? I can't tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkF3-JmSeA

A bit of both. His studio is pretty awesome but I think his 16 string all high E’s guitar with a dick on the headstock qualifies as stupid music poo poo in most circles.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i'd gladly fully fund them on the condition they can only open for threatin in perpetuity

The $1,500 tier lets you get your name tattooed on the lead singer's arm. We need a GoFundMe to raise money for that and each dollar contributed gets you a vote on the final name.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Wark Say posted:

Is this stupid or awesome music poo poo? I can't tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwkF3-JmSeA

Which part? Because Steve Albini is both. I mean, the dude had a band called Rapeman and felt justified in doing so. But he's also a genuinely talented engineer who cares about his product and if I had any bucks whatsoever I'd love to go over to Electric and fart around.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I appreciated that he stressed his love for some inexpensive gear like the FMR compressor and preamp. When it got to the obligatory Earthquaker blow job I figured that was the stupid music poo poo and I turned it off.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
native advertising, the true stupid music poo poo

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

Doomy posted:

The guy who fixed my v4b posted this video of the diagnosis and repair, it was an intermittent problem that dropped the gain once and a while.

https://youtu.be/_j_ia91_UOY

He does great work and always gets to the root of the problem.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

rickiep00h posted:

Which part? Because Steve Albini is both. I mean, the dude had a band called Rapeman and felt justified in doing so. But he's also a genuinely talented engineer who cares about his product and if I had any bucks whatsoever I'd love to go over to Electric and fart around.
Dude is still sort of the reason I'm reluctant to call myself a "producer", since I don't think it's my place to order bands around or anything when it comes to recording their stuff unless they specifically request my help. Like, most of my work has been precisely just taking care of making sure the sounds of whoever I'm working with get recorded properly.

That said, yeah: he's a giant shithead with some other matters.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I appreciated that he stressed his love for some inexpensive gear like the FMR compressor and preamp. When it got to the obligatory Earthquaker blow job I figured that was the stupid music poo poo and I turned it off.

I did like his lowkey diss of stupid pedal names and labels by showing how all Earthquaker pedals had been relabeled so people can actually tell what they do.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You gotta be clever and descriptive like naming something Medium Chungus Compressor

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

I did like his lowkey diss of stupid pedal names and labels by showing how all Earthquaker pedals had been relabeled so people can actually tell what they do.

I liked his lowkey diss of Bush (the band) with his amazement that the album they recorded with him did well.

Spanish Manlove posted:

You gotta be clever and descriptive like naming something Medium Chungus Compressor

I'm pretty sure 70% of the thought and effort going into effects pedals (and eurorack modules) is the naming.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

stillvisions posted:

I liked his lowkey diss of Bush (the band) with his amazement that the album they recorded with him did well.

I felt like he was trying to play it real sly but that he was kind of embarrassed a little. He knows he has a cool cachet simply because that is what he plays against to be the character that is Steve Albini and Bush is about as uncool as it gets.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Probably the version of Bush that recorded with him. Traynor is my homie to the end, though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Razorblade Suitcase is the only Bush album I own and I realized long after I bought it that it's because of Albini's work on it. It sounds really good and I think it actually highlights the differences in their songwriting that made them not just Nirvana wannabes, especially up against In Utero. "Greedy Fly" is genuinely one of my favorite songs and it's mostly the texture of it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey you guys just got me to answer a question I've had since the '90s! Who was Bushx

Same guys, it turns out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_(Canadian_band)

quote:

Bush became newsworthy again in 1995, as the result of an intellectual property dispute with the British alternative band Bush. As Troiano still owned the rights to that name, the British band were forced to release their albums in Canada as "Bushx".[3] In late April 1997, Troiano and Gavin Rossdale reached an agreement under which Rossdale's band was permitted to use the name Bush without the letter X, in exchange for donating $20,000 each to the Starlight Foundation and the Canadian Music Therapy Trust Fund.[4]

So of course everyone called the Bush even on the radio except when advertising albums.

Anyways I had "Deconstructed" which was some pretty good DnB.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
That’s hilarious that Bush was so derivative of Nirvana even down to choosing a name they’d have to pay someone else to use

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wikipedia Trivia about band name disputes: Truly the best kind of stupid music poo poo. :allears:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Stupid music poo poo is that I had no idea who Steve Albini was until Yanqui UXO

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ks5jdsKj78

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/acaciaridge/your-chance-to-save-rock-n-roll?ref=user_menu

oh wow these guys got classic rock and expert level music theory on their side

*threateningly* After working nonstop for over a year, and $35,000 of the members' own money, Acacia Ridge is growing very quickly.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/acaciaridge/your-chance-to-save-rock-n-roll?ref=user_menu

im amazed that everyone in this band thought this was a good idea and wouldnt make them look lame as hell.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was searching on how to adjust poo poo on my Yamaha acoustic and came across this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ-LJa4-2UU

I dunno, this entire video seems so sketch.

The end result the dude got his guitar back reglued and repainted. Or he was offered a like guitar of value. Good on him for that, but im terrified otherwise.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 27, 2019

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

Wark Say posted:

Wikipedia Trivia about band name disputes: Truly the best kind of stupid music poo poo. :allears:

In band name collision-related and sad news Ranking Roger from The (English) Beat died :(

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

stillvisions posted:

In band name collision-related and sad news Ranking Roger from The (English) Beat died :(
That blows chunks. :(

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Gonna go to a restaurant that's got glass tables where I can watch myself while I am eating... in his honor. :(

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I'm the dude in the blue jeans.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ROCK N'

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Any of you guys ever bought a warmoth neck?
Are they setup nice out of the box? Like are there jagged fret ends and whatnot? Am I going to have to level and dress all the frets or are they good to go usually?

I have an old rear end strat body, and enough random spare parts to make a cool guitar if I had a neck.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Before I sold it, I had the nicest "franken-tele" with a Warmoth neck. They're great.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
The one Warmoth neck I have needed the frets leveled before it was playable. I have no idea if that's common.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Extortionist posted:

The one Warmoth neck I have needed the frets leveled before it was playable. I have no idea if that's common.

They're all going to need leveling if you want a low action. Warmoth doesn't do anything to the frets other than (in my experience) remove the sharp edges. I mean I guess you could get super lucky and get one that's perfect without any work but I fully expect to have to do some fretwork whenever I buy a Warmoth.

They make drat good necks though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
"Do you want to be able to SAVE ROCK N ROLL??? Then pay for our band's album because we represent the entirety of ROCK N ROLL."

In related news, do you guys want to SAVE DRIVING AND THE ENTIRE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY??? Then contribute to my Patreon and pay for my lovely 240,000 mile truck that's been sitting in my yard for 10 years. It needs some new parts.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 28, 2019

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

GreatGreen posted:

In related news, do you guys want to SAVE DRIVING AND THE ENTIRE AUTOMOBILE INDUSTRY??? Then contribute to my Patreon and pay for my lovely 240,000 mile truck that's been sitting in my yard for 10 years. It needs some new parts.

hello Elon m-nevermind

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

one SMS that always gets me is when a band tries to write a bio or gets a review written about them and its really obvious there's nothing interesting to say about them. So the writer ends up just describing the broad concept of 'a rock band playing instruments'. Like "the guitars are thunderous and the drums pack a mighty punch. ARCADIA GARDENS have riffs galore and a frontman who certainly isnt afraid to sing his heart out"

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

massive spider posted:

one SMS that always gets me is when a band tries to write a bio or gets a review written about them and its really obvious there's nothing interesting to say about them. So the writer ends up just describing the broad concept of 'a rock band playing instruments'. Like "the guitars are thunderous and the drums pack a mighty punch. ARCADIA GARDENS have riffs galore and a frontman who certainly isnt afraid to sing his heart out"

I like that their name sounds like a lovely apartment complex.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

massive spider posted:

"the guitars are thunderous and the drums pack a mighty punch. ARCADIA GARDENS have riffs galore and a frontman who certainly isnt afraid to sing his heart out"
plus the bass sounds like the unholiest of all farts. :cheeky:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Krustic posted:

got em

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

massive spider posted:

the road-tested stage warriors of starmont harbor have made a name for themselves in their local rock scene with hard-hitting grooves, anthemic choruses, and searing melodies

Krustic posted:

to paraphrase david letterman, they're an american band in a canadian movie

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

massive spider posted:

Conversely, the band description on their facebook page:

quote:

Just a bunch of guys being dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I like that a lot more, they aren't trying to prove some bullshit point about how they're good or talented, they're just doing some poo poo.