Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

College sports in general are terrible. I do like it when people say the best college team can beat the worst pro teams though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Colleges do everything they can to get every penny they can from their customers. It's a huge scam. Textbooks are a scam, admissions is a scam, college sports are a scam. No part of it is noble or dignified or for the benefit of the student.

So sports scholarships are fine, cheating and plagiarism are fine, bribing you way in is fine. It's all fine, do whatever the gently caress you need to do to get into and through college.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

College athletes should be paid wages on top of their scholarships

The way things are, yes, but in an ideal system they should be in college for an education first. Sports should not be basically the biggest major revenue source for universities. I love college sports, but it's abused so badly that I wouldn't mind seeing it abolished entirely.

The fact that teams like Duke can have teams of freshmen who know going in they are going to be first round picks in the NBA is a scam. They are stealing money. Universities are not sports organizations, they are supposed to weigh academic potential higher than raw athleticism. Let them go straight to the pros from highschool instead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Colleges do everything they can to get every penny they can from their customers. It's a huge scam. Textbooks are a scam, admissions is a scam, college sports are a scam. No part of it is noble or dignified or for the benefit of the student.

So sports scholarships are fine, cheating and plagiarism are fine, bribing you way in is fine. It's all fine, do whatever the gently caress you need to do to get into and through college.

the solution isn't to throw our hands up and say "well, that's just the way it is". It's to forcefully take over the entire college education system and make it the way it's supposed to be. A lot of things should be nationalized (e: by a reasonable government, not the standard american way of nationalizing things) and held to a higher standard, not just what makes the most money.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

yeah I eat rear end posted:

the solution isn't to throw our hands up and say "well, that's just the way it is". It's to forcefully take over the entire college education system and make it the way it's supposed to be. A lot of things should be nationalized (e: by a reasonable government, not the standard american way of nationalizing things) and held to a higher standard, not just what makes the most money.

As soon as that happens, great. But when you're paying for tuition, paying hundreds for textbooks, being encouraged to apply to schools you won't be able to get into so those schools can brag about how low their acceptance rate is, gently caress them. The college and the student are not on the same side.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Getting drunk is cool and fun. Getting white girl wasted is awful and horrible.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

or: go to tech school instead and get educated in something that looks really good on your resume that is being made for jobs that generally have high hire rates right out of graduation

its also usually much much cheaper.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

No college athlete should be allowed to leave early for the pros. Ever. Even if you allowed it, they should have to pay back every cent of the scholarship they got, plus fees for the time professors spent on trying to educate them on their bullshit "hospitality management" degrees. The NCAA should not be a stepping stone to the NBA or NFL. Don't go to college unless you want to be educated. The fact that there are thousands of student athletes out there with degrees they didn't truly earn because of favoritism/special treatment devalues everyone else's degree.

I think athletes get the scholarship to play x and earn the college money by winning games and poo poo. also, college is definitely a scam at this point, so if you can scam them, then do it. If there really are consequences for other people because you took a scholarship, it's because of the college and not the athlete.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tying professional sports into a long-term educational structure is the best thing about American sports.

The degrees may be worthless far more often than not but it's better than kids being forced to give up on any sort of education at 16 if they want to try to make a career in sport in your average academy.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Which is why cat cuddles rule- when they come for some, you know you earned it :3

I thought I was the best cat owner ever. My cats have been so loving lovable and affectionate the past few months, snuggling up with me every night and finding a nice nook on my body to sleep in. It was great, I thought we finally had a breakthrough

The second the snow melts and the sun peaks in through the window though, nothing. Like I don't even exist.

"feed me bitch, bye"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

sassassin posted:

Tying professional sports into a long-term educational structure is the best thing about American sports.

The degrees may be worthless far more often than not but it's better than kids being forced to give up on any sort of education at 16 if they want to try to make a career in sport in your average academy.

but my point is, especially in basketball, if they are good they hardly ever finish their degrees. The guys that suck and do stay the whole four years, yeah they are getting a good deal, but everyone should finish. Even the #1 overall pick that leaves his first year can have a career ending injury within a year or so and they are left with nothing. It's not like you can defer the rest of your scholarship just in case your sports career doesn't pan out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

anyway, new opinion: it's rude to not let someone take the fall for you. It makes me look like a liar for taking responsibility and saying it was solely my idea and now you're getting in trouble too.

I know the opinion here will be that i'm stupid for not throwing my superior who told me to do it under the bus when his boss found out, but I figured since I was still new and learning he'd be less mad if he thought I acted stupidly but unilaterally. And for the record, he did get a lot more mad when he found out what really happened.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

but my point is, especially in basketball, if they are good they hardly ever finish their degrees. The guys that suck and do stay the whole four years, yeah they are getting a good deal, but everyone should finish. Even the #1 overall pick that leaves his first year can have a career ending injury within a year or so and they are left with nothing. It's not like you can defer the rest of your scholarship just in case your sports career doesn't pan out.

It's still better than what most of the world has because you kick the can down the road and give players the opportunity for some sort of education for longer than the market would naturally demand, as it does in professional sports in the rest of the world. Extra years make a difference, even if it's only 2 or 3 and they don't have to finish that degree.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I mean, if you sculpt your life around the possibility of failure you're going to stress yourself out. I guess that's more in general than specifically sports, but whatever.

More to the point, a lot of athletic scholarships seem to go to lower income or impoverished kids, so a quick way out of that situation seems like a good call. A quick Google search shows that it's something like 86% or so below the poverty line.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

So I just had a though re: cats v dogs

People with dogs, I don't know a good way to articulate it, they like the positivity and companionship of their good dogs, right? And people with cats feel accomplished for earning the affection of there cruel and murderous overlords, right?

So in that sense, people with dogs expect the positive energy from their animals, while people with cats give the positive energy.

In conclusion, cat owners are the good humans, and dog owners are soulless fiends.

Thank you

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Dogs aren't good dogs by default. They only become good dogs if you put in the "positive energy" to train them and socialize them properly. The dog responds by being your friend and doesn't destroy your house or anyone who enters it. There is a tangible benefit to giving your dog positive energies.

Cats on the other hand, you can love them your whole life and buy them their own car and poo poo and they'll still just mildly tolerate you. Anything you think you've earned is a delusion built up over the years to make you stop wondering why you spend so much money on a pseudo-pet. They're more of a soft decoration, really.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Dogs aren't good dogs by default

- a soulless fiend

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Owning a cat is like playing an MMORPG but soloing the whole time. You don't want to necessarily trade or quest with other people, but you just like the idea that they are there. You can hit up the auction house once in a while if you need a cuddle or two, but the rest of the time you're just existing within the same space and nothing more.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Cats are pretty great. Mine love to cuddle and play. Y’all are just raising your cats wrong.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

some cats are just duds

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

hawowanlawow posted:

some cats are just duds

:dudsmile:

But yeah my cat loves to cuddle all the goddamn time

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Cats and dogs both make great pets for different reasons and I've got no particular preference.

Dont get the whole reptile/amphibian thing though. They are not attractive animals. Every person I've known to collect them has been a bit oddball.

Snake girl that had multicolored tattoos and piercings and sold weed, women that turned lesbian and ran off with her other reptile collecting lover and left one of my friends after 12 years and a teacher that ran off with one of his students.

It just seems that people who have pet reptiles are doing it to fill an otherwise gaping hole in their personalities.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Snake people seem more often than not to use it as a substitute for personality like you said. Like the type who will invite girls over and make them uncomfortably watch as they feed it a live mouse or sneak up behind them and put it on their shoulders. I did know a gecko girl once who was pretty cool, aside from the little tank full of crickets.

That said, reptiles are cool and are (mostly) cute in their own ways, but in an ideal world they shouldn't be pets. But they are for now, so they deserve good homes too. Just don't get a tortoise or something that could realistically outlive you unless you're prepared for that, which most people aren't and will just dump it in the sewer or something when they get bored with it. I kind of feel the same way about birds for similar reasons (although having one moderate these forums is pretty good). A lot of people don't know what they're getting in to so a lot of birds end up being mistreated and then given up. Especially for the super long lived ones, there should be some kind of licensing process with inspections that can lead to fines/confiscation if you're being a bad bird/reptile owner. Otherwise, leave them in the wild/in rescues.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Everything in the Transformers franchise is poo poo, except for Beast Wars

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Snake people seem more often than not to use it as a substitute for personality like you said. Like the type who will invite girls over and make them uncomfortably watch as they feed it a live mouse or sneak up behind them and put it on their shoulders. I did know a gecko girl once who was pretty cool, aside from the little tank full of crickets.

That said, reptiles are cool and are (mostly) cute in their own ways, but in an ideal world they shouldn't be pets. But they are for now, so they deserve good homes too. Just don't get a tortoise or something that could realistically outlive you unless you're prepared for that, which most people aren't and will just dump it in the sewer or something when they get bored with it. I kind of feel the same way about birds for similar reasons (although having one moderate these forums is pretty good). A lot of people don't know what they're getting in to so a lot of birds end up being mistreated and then given up. Especially for the super long lived ones, there should be some kind of licensing process with inspections that can lead to fines/confiscation if you're being a bad bird/reptile owner. Otherwise, leave them in the wild/in rescues.

I don't have a problem with birds as pets, but I have a problem with birds being kept in a house. Mostly because they make everything smell like bird poo poo. If you say, "you just have to clean up after them all the time, they don't make your house smell bad" then you're just used to your disgusting smelling house.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Reptiles spend 90% of their day regulating their body temperature. They look cool but they’re boring as gently caress and I don’t understand why you’d want one as a pet.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Gripweed posted:

Everything in the Transformers franchise is poo poo, except for Beast Wars

Dinobot, noooo. :(

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

most people aren't and will just dump it in the sewer or something when they get bored with it. I kind of feel the same way about birds
Baloogan! :ohdear:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Reptiles spend 90% of their day regulating their body temperature. They look cool but they’re boring as gently caress and I don’t understand why you’d want one as a pet.

There ya go.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I won't tell anyone to give up their pets, but I've come to think keeping animals in your house is usually pretty cruel.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I could see owning a reptile or insect that was venomous enough to kill me. It would at least add some excitement and give you some motivation to care about what it's doing/what it might do. Kind of a lovely thing to do to your neighbors though when it inevitably kills you in your sleep and wanders the neighborhood on a murder spree.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

starkebn posted:

I won't tell anyone to give up their pets, but I've come to think keeping animals in your house is usually pretty cruel.

nothing wrong with an indoor cat

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I would agree that if you don't have a yard, you probably shouldn't own a dog.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gripweed posted:

I would agree that if you don't have a yard, you probably shouldn't own a dog.

I have a yard and the only time my dog goes out there is when I'm grilling something or he needs to pee at like 2 am.

edit: I forgot about the times he sees a squirrel through the window and pretends like he has to pee, so he can run out there and bark at the squirrell

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Away all Goats posted:

I have a yard and the only time my dog goes out there is when I'm grilling something or he needs to pee at like 2 am.

edit: I forgot about the times he sees a squirrel through the window and pretends like he has to pee, so he can run out there and bark at the squirrell

It sounds like you don't have a dog door.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gripweed posted:

It sounds like you don't have a dog door.

Nope. Those are probably a bad idea in places with winter seasons. I'd also generally not want him to just get into the yard unsupervised because there are skunks in my area.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's ok for trans women to dominate women's sports. I don't care if cis women constantly lose and are forced out, leaving trans women as the only ones to ever get any trophies. I don't care if cis girls no longer get sports scholarships. I don't care if cis women are essentially unable to ever play sports professionally. I don't care if cis female martial artists get their poo poo wrecked by trans competitors. You've had enough, cis girls. Go play with barbies or something.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's been a while since we got the same rehashed bluestar post itt. Good to see you back.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hot dog places are better than burger places

big fan of your posts, BS, but no politics here please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I prefer my hot dogs with just the dog plus a bun so I don't "get" hotdog restaurants. I don't want a salad contained in an unstable bun with a thin tube of good stuff hidden underneath. I want to taste my tube meat.

also bratwursts are superior to hotdogs in every way.