Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chucat posted:

How were there several MPs (who look like they were all Tories) who voted no on EVERY motion? I don't mean full abstention, just no, to everything. What the hell did they want?

There's no limit. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Dabir posted:

He genuinely thinks nobody has any memory of his previous actions whatsoever.

The tory leadership vote is done by 120,000 people who are obviously already insane.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought the tories didn't have a vote for leadership?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Chucat posted:

Oh my god it was this. (I'm comparing the people who voted no on everything with people who voted yes for TM's deal and it's 100% so far)

Look if we just get everyone to vote on it oh, ten more times or so, at some point someone's going to get tired and vote yes, possibly by accident

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the tories didn't have a vote for leadership?

The parliamentary group is supposed to whittle it down to 2, maybe 3 candidates for the wider membership to vote on.

They just normally all backstab enough that there's a single winner anyway.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Gort posted:

Druidism, you mean?

Having concluded democracy was a mistake, with a great sigh Bercow hefts the mace onto his shoulder and declares 'we need to return to an older form of government'. Prince Charles raises his head, finally his time has come. But Bercow walks past him, and out onto the streets...out past the bustling metropolis of London, out on to salisbury plain. There before the sacred stone monoliths he lays the mace bestowing the authority of British state. The ancient council of druids nod silently, and in one brutal slice sacrifice a goat upon the altar stone. As the blood runs down the cold dark rock, they wail unto the air, beseeching the gods to give us a sign: What kind of terrible Brexit do they want us to suffer?

In the crackling light of the growing storm, eldrich things half flicker into existence. On his knees in the mud, head bowed to protect his mind from the vile and unnatural congress of the constitutional debate taking place beyond, Bercow whispers quietly to himself 'This is a more civilized way'.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm so confused now. I genuinely don't even know what is going on.

e-

Desiderata posted:

Having concluded democracy was a mistake, with a great sigh Bercow hefts the mace onto his shoulder and declares 'we need to return to an older form of government'. Prince Charles raises his head, finally his time has come. But Bercow walks past him, and out onto the streets...out past the bustling metropolis of London, out on to salisbury plain. There before the sacred stone monoliths he lays the mace bestowing the authority of British state. The ancient council of druids nod silently, and in one brutal slice sacrifice a goat upon the altar stone. As the blood runs down the cold dark rock, they wail unto the air, beseeching the gods to give us a sign: What kind of terrible Brexit do they want us to suffer?

In the crackling light of the growing storm, eldrich things half flicker into existence. On his knees in the mud, head bowed to protect his mind from the vile and unnatural congress of the constitutional debate taking place beyond, Bercow whispers quietly to himself 'This is a more civilized way'.

Bring back boudica.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Boudicca burned down several british towns because she was in a radjie over the roman government.

What I'm saying is she would have voted for brexit.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

There's no limit. Obviously.

No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No. No deal brexit!

(thanks a lot, now it's stuck in my head)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Imagine the clusterfuck a theoretical IRV second Brexit referendum with all the options would be.

"None of the above": 69%

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Boudicca burned down several british towns because she was in a radjie over the roman government.

Well I mean her reasons were pretty good, getting flogged and your daughters getting raped would piss off anyone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chucat posted:

Well I mean her reasons were pretty good, getting flogged and your daughters getting raped would piss off anyone.

Nobody is denying that there are systemic problems with the roman empire. But the "set fire to everything until they go away" exit plan doesn't seem credible.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

If we have to raze colchester again so be it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

JFairfax posted:

Corbyn was able to get stadiums and festivals chanting his name

kinda reminds u of someone don't it

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

What if...Corbyn promises that no matter how they vote, he'll throw up his hands and say OK YOU WIN YOU HAVE DEFEATED ME, would that get any of them off their arses and commit to something? Obviously don't tell them it doesn't matter, just make them think Corbyn will lose in some indefinable way because it's clear to me that they're worried that he'll win in some indefinable way. I"m talking about both major parties here, they seem to be as one that Corbyn must not succeed in any way whatever it is they're afraid of.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I didn't read the thread last night because my poor dead heart can't take it anymore, and when I accidentally saw the thread title before bed it cost me a few hours sleep, thought something terrible had happened.

But I've checked the last few pages and it's Costner Chat. Am I to assume that Nothing Has Changed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

I didn't read the thread last night because my poor dead heart can't take it anymore, and when I accidentally saw the thread title before bed it cost me a few hours sleep, thought something terrible had happened.

But I've checked the last few pages and it's Costner Chat. Am I to assume that Nothing Has Changed?

From what I gather parliament couldn't actually vote yes to anything yesterday, but there's a huge margin between how badly each proposal failed, with no deal and no brexit being the worst performers.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Nobody is denying that there are systemic problems with the roman empire. But the "set fire to everything until they go away" exit plan doesn't seem credible.

Worked for the Saxons, though. Until those damned normans came. :argh:

What I am saying is that we should ban knights.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

OwlFancier posted:

Centrist takes coming at you live from the 1st century CE.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

In fairness her beef with the Romans was a bit more substantial than the colour of her passport and the bendiness of bananas.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

From what I gather parliament couldn't actually vote yes to anything yesterday, but there's a huge margin between how badly each proposal failed, with no deal and no brexit being the worst performers.

Did anyone expect anything else? I never once thought anything would actually get over the line last night. Doesn't it go back to the thunderdome on Monday, least popular options left off?

I've gone back a bit and saw everyone panicking but I'm not sure what result they were hoping for

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Boris is inexplicably popular with the Tory membership but the Parliamentary party hates him so it's unlikely he'd make it as far as the actual membership vote.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
Does May have the numbers to get MV3 through; can she even table it? Everyone seems to be running ahead again.

Must admit failing to get her deal through and being pushed out anyway is a fitting end.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rustybear posted:

Does May have the numbers to get MV3 through; can she even table it?

a) No, because the DUP are still going to vote against it and so are a lot of the ERG
b) No-one knows for sure but it's not looking like Bercow would let it happen

Ler
Mar 23, 2005

I believe...

Rustybear posted:

Does May have the numbers to get MV3 through; can she even table it? Everyone seems to be running ahead again.

Must admit failing to get her deal through and being pushed out anyway is a fitting end.

She doesn't at this point, it's still quite well off having the numbers. Even if she did have the numbers there needs to be enough substantial changes before Bercow allows it to be voted on.
There is some legal maneuvering that May can do to get around the Speaker for example end the current session of parliament and start a new one, and I forgot the other but it involved some complex lawyering, but both options would be politically very costly at this point.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Flipping the question of the voting patterns of the ERG and DUP on its head, what does it look like they are willing to vote for? Clearly there is a percentage of completely off the deep end loons, but the whole reason they supposedly posed a threat was a unified hard brexit front. This no longer seems to be the case?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just discovered the house apparently still does Christian prayers every morning before they start.

:confused:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Didn't #10 say that they would end the current session but they don't think they have a majority to pass a queen's speech vote so they wouldn't be able to form another government at that point?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Steve2911 posted:

Just discovered the house apparently does Christian prayers every morning before they start.

Lots of legislatures do that. I'd be more concerned about the Bishops that are in the upper house purely because they are Bishops in the state religion of one of the provinces. Only the UK and Iran does that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
lol election season is on and it's getting salty already

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1111190204138864640

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Vlex posted:

Flipping the question of the voting patterns of the ERG and DUP on its head, what does it look like they are willing to vote for? Clearly there is a percentage of completely off the deep end loons, but the whole reason they supposedly posed a threat was a unified hard brexit front. This no longer seems to be the case?

The DUP abstained on the customs union proposal (along with the SNP, the Lib Dems and the TIGs). Which presumably means they consider it less bad than May's deal.

But of course none of the small parties will actually vote for it, because then it would get a majority and they couldn't continue pursuing their absolute favorite option. Better we inch ever closer to No Deal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1111189793164181505?s=19

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/malaiseforever/status/1111192683782066176

Capitalism driving innovation there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Did anyone expect anything else? I never once thought anything would actually get over the line last night. Doesn't it go back to the thunderdome on Monday, least popular options left off?

I've gone back a bit and saw everyone panicking but I'm not sure what result they were hoping for

There was a large margin between different failure states so it seems likely it could be narrowed down, I think people are just wanting it to be over as soon as possible which is understandable.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

a) No, because the DUP are still going to vote against it and so are a lot of the ERG
b) No-one knows for sure but it's not looking like Bercow would let it happen

If she has the numbers to pass it she has the numbers to overturn the Speaker's decision. She doesn't so she won't, so she can keep blaming the Speaker.

e: This is also the answer to all those questions ITT last night about why the Press were talking about MV3 as if it could happen - had ERG+DUP come over there was an outside chance it could have happened, and that was what seemed to be going on last night.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
It just hit me that your politicians are still, after 33 months, arguing over how to interpret the results of a yes/no referendum

lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah seriously if you want to know what it's like to ride a 1980's pile of bus bits on a freight bed, just come here. Visit saltburn while you're at it, nice day out.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

Just discovered the house apparently still does Christian prayers every morning before they start.

Wait until you find out about our state religion which the Queen is the head of.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Wait until you find out about our state religion which the Queen is the head of.

Oh for sure. But surely there are plenty of MPs who'd like their prayers included too.

(I don't know the religious demographics of MPs, for all I know every single one of them is CofE lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Could the Tories at this point just go "gently caress it!" And no deal Brexit us tomorrow evening?