Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Would anyone be interested in a sampling challenge? I'm just spitballing, but it could be like someone (me?) selects 4 samples from freesound.org (with Creative Commons license 0, meaning they're essentially public domain, freeing us from getting tied up in any legalities), and then we each have a few days to a week to either create a new instrument or sound effect from them. So you could end up with a really crazy soundscape preset, a synth lead, or maybe even a one-shot.

I know I'd be totally down for that. I mean, I'd like to participate, so maybe I shouldn't be the one picking the samples. Or maybe no one cares? And if anyone has any ideas to add to this, let me know.

I'd give this a shot for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I'm totally in on a sampling challange!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, good to know we have at least a few participants. I'll write up a post either tonight or tomorrow.

:toot:

On the topic of samplers and sample manipulation, what are all of your go-to plugins for that kind of thing? I'm loving Iris 2 right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Samplr

(It’s actually a key component of my bonerjamz track)

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm a fan of Groove Agent of all things for sample handling. I love Kontakt as a library/tweaky preset machine but if I'm actually doing stuff then Groove Agent is my go to. Its a shame the sampler tracks in Cubase aren't quite as fully featured as they're obviously better for note based stuff, but GA is like a little MPC

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
finally dug into my mikro's manual, so i'm definitely up for a sampling challenge

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

I've got a jams track at about 80% right now, assuming you're fine with a submission that completely ignores the oldest / newest portion of the challenge. I started writing it on a flight and so it's all softsynths, and I don't want to re-track with other equipment because :effort:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've got a bassline and drums I'm pretty okay with. That's traditionally where my tracks stall, so we're not out of the woods yet.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Well, good to know we have at least a few participants. I'll write up a post either tonight or tomorrow.

:toot:

On the topic of samplers and sample manipulation, what are all of your go-to plugins for that kind of thing? I'm loving Iris 2 right now.

I'm using Ableton's Simpler + Push2 and have found it to be pretty incredible for chopping and playing back sample patterns. Sometimes I do wish I had a vintage sampler like an MPC because they definitely impart a "sound" to the samples that I enjoy. But for now this combination works really well.

Trig Discipline posted:

I started something like this in ML a while ago but then I and everyone else basically abandoned it. I'd be down.

Honestly I got overwhelmed by the massive amount of samples that were available. I did end up using some of them in other tracks I made later though. I think it would help to have something a little more narrow in scope.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Honestly I got overwhelmed by the massive amount of samples that were available. I did end up using some of them in other tracks I made later though. I think it would help to have something a little more narrow in scope.

Yeah I absolutely agree.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I'm down for sampling challenge, but could we wait until bonerjamz submissions are over? :siren:That's March 31, by the way.:siren:

HandlingByJebus posted:

I've got a jams track at about 80% right now, assuming you're fine with a submission that completely ignores the oldest / newest portion of the challenge. I started writing it on a flight and so it's all softsynths, and I don't want to re-track with other equipment because :effort:

Yeah, send it in! Too much is better than not enough.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So Math said it's cool if I submit my thing so I'ma do that. I did use some of my oldest software synths (Arturia) and some of my newest gear (Seaboard Rise) for it, so I reckon it fits well enough. I may slap it around a few times between now and the weekend to see if anything shakes loose though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So Math posted:

I'm down for sampling challenge, but could we wait until bonerjamz submissions are over? :siren:That's March 31, by the way.:siren:

Absolutely! I'll set a reminder and do it then.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

VIDEO
SONG

My newest gear is the OP-Z. For the oldest, I was going to use the Waldorf Q, but it's in storage and I'm too lazy to get it. The oldest thing in my actual home is the original NI Maschine, but that requires installing a bunch of questionable software that's ridiculously annoying to uninstall. So, the next oldest is the OP-1 (I can't believe I've had it for 7 years).

Yup, it's the OP-Z and the OP-1. Please look forward to my Patreon, I guess???

The video is made with TE's videolab poo poo in Unity, running in the OP-Z Mac app. The character in it is off-brand Pac Man:

Am I leaving anything out? Thanks for organizing this, So Math.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
I've got a killer concept and a box full of late 90s MIDI cheese, I just hope I can finish it in time given that work is crazy right now :ohdear:

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The character in it is off-brand Pac Man:

Anddddd there's my new kink.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Got it! Thanks for putting a video with this!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

So Math posted:

Got it! Thanks for putting a video with this!

Sure thing. Sorry about the quality; I need to find a better way to record my screen.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay here's me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gozKOS-_k5w

And the audio track:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/sail-or-anchor

Oldest bit of gear was some Arturia synths and the newest was my Seaboard Rise. Video clips were just some random nonsense from Segundo de Chomón shorts.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Nice! I'll be sure to post your lyrics on the album page.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Okay here's me:

And the audio track:

Oldest bit of gear was some Arturia synths and the newest was my Seaboard Rise. Video clips were just some random nonsense from Segundo de Chomón shorts.

Are you the same dude who made The Scientist?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Took a sneak peek and the boners are poppin!

Meanwhile this is going well

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Are you the same dude who made The Scientist?

I am!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Okay here's me:

And the audio track:

I've said it before but I really love this track!

so many great submissions, this is why I love bonerjamz :3:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I've got about halfway through turning it into an 8 song concept EP about people's consciousnesses being brought back from the dead by robots in the future and used to pilot starships, but I've sort of run out of steam. I'm sure I'll finish it eventually - I tend to do that with projects.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I just do the running out of steam part.

:hfive:
VVVV

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 28, 2019

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I just do the running out of steam part.

I turn on my equipment, turn on my computer, start surfing the web, and then turn off my equipment.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oldstench posted:

I turn on my equipment, turn on my computer, start surfing the web, and then turn off my equipment.

Oh wow.

This post speaks to me, holy poo poo.

It's the worst when you're doing work for, y'know... a client. :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Okay here's me:

And the audio track:

I love this, but it also sounds familiar. Is this based around another track you did before? I know you've done a bunch of vocoder stuff, but I mean the melody specifically.

EDIT: gently caress, meant to edit my previous post.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oh wow.

This post speaks to me, holy poo poo.

It's the worst when you're doing work for, y'know... a client. :negative: grant funding and you don’t get any grant cash until you’ve submitted the drat project proposal.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I love this, but it also sounds familiar. Is this based around another track you did before? I know you've done a bunch of vocoder stuff, but I mean the melody specifically.

EDIT: gently caress, meant to edit my previous post.

Yeah I mentioned this a few days ago, but it was meant for a previous synth comp that got cancelled. I don't have time to do a new one right now so So Math agreed to let me submit this one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I played around with transposing too much and forgot what key mine's in.

I had at best a tenuous grasp of that as it was.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 28, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I mentioned this a few days ago, but it was meant for a previous synth comp that got cancelled. I don't have time to do a new one right now so So Math agreed to let me submit this one.

Awesome, ok! I'm not crazy! :toot:

Wasn't trying to call you out, I was just thinking 'this is the first time I've clicked on this link, and I know I've heard this (or something like it) before...'

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, no worries!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Blue and black MS 101s up at Sweetwater now with that tempting 48 months 0% interest payment plan.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh yeah, no worries!

As an aside, I briefly went through your posts from this thread (and obviously missed any previously posted instance of that song, but that's what I was looking for) and saw when you posted that Iris 2 was $29, and.... goddammit, I'm so mad at myself for not getting it then :negative:

EDIT: Anyone willing to do a license transfer? I'd pay.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Here's what I learned from the Deluge so far. 1) sound design is Hard. 2) making something that sounds pretty good for 15 seconds is Doable. 3) making something that sounds good for 4+ minutes is Hard.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

ColdPie posted:

Here's what I learned from the Deluge so far. 1) sound design is Hard. 2) making something that sounds pretty good for 15 seconds is Doable. 3) making something that sounds good for 4+ minutes is Hard.

That's why verses and choruses and bridges exist, friendo!

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

nanoloop hardware kickstarter got a few days left, demo sounds pretty clean and the simple display looks nice

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/734721310/nanoloop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

So Math posted:

Rules:
  • You have to feature your oldest thing that makes sound (the one you've had the longest).
    • Edit: This can mean your "voice" if you really want it to, but I'm not requiring everyone with two cheeks to rub together to use 'em here.
  • You have to feature your newest thing that makes sound (the one you've had the shortest).
  • If neither of those are synthesizers, you also need to use a synthesizer.
  • You can use additional gear as necessary.
  • All entries are due at 11:59 EST on March 31.
The rules are intentionally worded to allow things like VSTs and slide whistles.

Submission:
Before 11:59 EST on March 31, I need a nice recording from you that Bandcamp won't poo poo itself over.

You are encouraged to put a video for your song on YouTube. Whoever makes the video I like the best gets a new avatar from me.