Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Anony Mouse posted:

Is there a reason that in TYOOL 2019 people are still using getElementById and getElementsByTagName instead of querySelector and querySelectorAll?

Is it that simple? Yes it was a matter of a mix of Google search results to wind up at the code I came up with, but I've talked to a lot of people about how I miss jQuery's simple $("#foo") and .each() and how there's a ton of ways to select things in vanilla JS. If querySelector and querySelectorAll replace all those in modern browsers, it'll save me a lot of headache trying to find the "proper" way to select a specific (set of) DOM element(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Because getElementById isn't going anywhere. It's more specific as to what you're trying to do... think about it as auxiliary to the good ones.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I learned es6 and for three years have never imported any JavaScript libraries, needed outside code, or used a compilation tool. That hasn't stopped me from making anything I've wanted yet. It's overall been a very rewarding and non-frustrating experience

To be fair you do post a lot of questions that basically boil down to "help me reinvent this round rolly thing please" but not gonna lie it's fun to watch.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

*scowling while wrapping querySelectorAll in a function called $ for the 100th time, thinking* GOSH I SURE DON'T MISS jQuery AT ALL GLAD IT'S NOT NEEDED ANYMORE

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

god drat do i ever not miss jquery

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

Coding this taught me a lot about arrays, and how some things in Vanilla JS return arrays instead of objects that "just work" with whatever action I want to do to them. I spent a while trying to figure out why:

code:
item.getElementsByTagName('a').addEventListener
...didn't work. It's because item.getElementsByTagName returns an array, so I need to specify the [0] there for the first (even if it's the only) item.

Actually, that returns an HTMLCollection, not an array. It's iterable in current browsers (so you can dump it into an array using spread syntax), but it doesn't have map, forEach, etc.

This is also as dumb as it sounds.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
code:
> (new Date(Date.parse('2019-04-12'))).toDateString()
"Thu Apr 11 2019"
Can somebody tell me what I can do about this? I have no idea why JavaScript is doing this to me.

I needed to determine if a day was on a Friday and I thought this was going to be simple. I thought I could just put the date into a Date object and call getDay() and check if it was equal to 5, but apparently I've fallen into hell and I can't trust anything anymore.

EDIT: Oh, I figured it out. Turns out using that specific date format constructs the Date in UTC time instead, so I have to use getUTCDay() to get the actual day.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
That was an emotional rollercoaster!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Don't forget `getUTCDay` is 0 indexed and starts on Sunday.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nolgthorn posted:

Don't forget `getUTCDay` is 0 indexed and starts on Sunday.
That way people who think the week starts on Sunday and people who think Monday is day one of the week can both be happy.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Munkeymon posted:

*scowling while wrapping querySelectorAll in a function called $ for the 100th time, thinking* GOSH I SURE DON'T MISS jQuery AT ALL GLAD IT'S NOT NEEDED ANYMORE
I still like jQuery for that alone and some of the utility functions.

My own problem: I have an .npmrc file that's configured to use a particular project-specific registry in place of the standard public registry. However, for some reason npm keeps installing some packages from the public npmjs registry rather than the custom registry, even though those packages are listed under the custom registry. The closest to an explanation I have is that it's particular to dependencies; the package listed in package.json will install correctly, but its dependencies will come from the public registry. I'm still curious what I can actually do about that.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Roadie posted:

If you want to import something that definitely uses the specific insertion order, use Map.

Question from last page, but wouldn't switching from Objects to Maps require me to change all my syntax wherever I use a definition that I imported by name?

Right now this works, supposing my imported namespace is called "tiny":

code:
new tiny.Matrix()
But if it were a Map would all my code everywhere have to become like this?

code:
new tiny.get( "Matrix" )()

Secondly, isn't it annoying that Maps have no equivalent of the es6 object functionality of automatically generating key names? Such as:

code:
const a = 3; const b = { a };  
Which generates an ["a",3] key value pair.

There being no equivalent for Map forces me to type the same name twice every time I store a function definition in a Map:

code:
tiny.set( "Matrix", Matrix );

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Question from last page, but wouldn't switching from Objects to Maps require me to change all my syntax wherever I use a definition that I imported by name?

Really not sure the suggestion is viable in your case, given you're relying on module imports being objects but then wanting to read those objects in insertion order for the sole purpose of matching the code in the imported file, but answer is gonna be yes. Also yes, you would need to set explicitly to a map (and then iterate through it on the other end)

Edit: that being said, I can't see how it's solvable without putting the code, as is, into some ordered data structure at one end when it's exported, then unwrapping it at the other where it's imported. And then I guess that's probably in turn gping to need more logic to just get the code to all function together properly. I'd be really interested if you manage to come up with a solution, cos I can't for the life of me see how you're going to do it

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 29, 2019

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Edit: quote is not edit

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

darthbob88 posted:

I still like jQuery for that alone and some of the utility functions.

My own problem: I have an .npmrc file that's configured to use a particular project-specific registry in place of the standard public registry. However, for some reason npm keeps installing some packages from the public npmjs registry rather than the custom registry, even though those packages are listed under the custom registry. The closest to an explanation I have is that it's particular to dependencies; the package listed in package.json will install correctly, but its dependencies will come from the public registry. I'm still curious what I can actually do about that.

I’m guessing your package lockfile still specifies the public npm registry

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

RobertKerans posted:

I'd be really interested if you manage to come up with a solution, cos I can't for the life of me see how you're going to do it

Maybe what I'm grasping for is really just an array, not a Map. So, declaring each class in scope for the file, and then immediately pushing it to an array for also remembering order.

code:
class a extends b { whole definition of a }
tiny.push(a)
But then at the end of the file I'd want to convert that array into an object somehow, with keys that equal the class names, so that lookup can be done as if it were a namespace.

code:
new tiny.Matrix()

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Chenghiz posted:

I’m guessing your package lockfile still specifies the public npm registry
It doesn't, though. If I delete the lockfile, npm just creates a new one, which still points to the public registry for those packages. If I go through and replace all the references to public registry with the private one, it just overwrites them with references to the public one. It's maddening.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

darthbob88 posted:

It doesn't, though. If I delete the lockfile, npm just creates a new one, which still points to the public registry for those packages. If I go through and replace all the references to public registry with the private one, it just overwrites them with references to the public one. It's maddening.

Are your private dependencies scoped?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Osmosisch posted:

Are your private dependencies scoped?
Not to my knowledge; it's all `"my-package": "^4.2.0"`, not `@my-org/my-package`. That might fix it, but I'd rather try other solutions first.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Bizarre, I've never had an issue like that. If you run `npm get registry` in the directory where your npmrc file is, do you get the right registry?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

darthbob88 posted:

Not to my knowledge; it's all `"my-package": "^4.2.0"`, not `@my-org/my-package`. That might fix it, but I'd rather try other solutions first.

You should scope your packages anyway.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Right now this works, supposing my imported namespace is called "tiny":

code:
new tiny.Matrix()
But if it were a Map would all my code everywhere have to become like this?

code:
new tiny.get( "Matrix" )()

Secondly, isn't it annoying that Maps have no equivalent of the es6 object functionality of automatically generating key names? Such as:

code:
const a = 3; const b = { a };  
Which generates an ["a",3] key value pair.

There being no equivalent for Map forces me to type the same name twice every time I store a function definition in a Map:

code:
tiny.set( "Matrix", Matrix );

Objects have guaranteed insertion order is traversal order for years now - probably for longer than they've supported GL, but I wouldn't swear to that.

Have you tried something like

JavaScript code:
//library.js or whatever you call it
export default {
  functionOne: functionOne,
  //etc
};

//playground.js
import libraryFunctions from 'library';
Iterating over libraryFunctions should have them in the order you want them in.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Munkeymon posted:

Objects have guaranteed insertion order is traversal order for years now - probably for longer than they've supported GL, but I wouldn't swear to that.

Thanks, this is what I was thinking last page, if it ain't broken why fix it

(It's still ugly right now to do two things for every definition, but no less ugly if I use Maps)

Munkeymon posted:

Have you tried something like

Ah, this won't work because it assumes the definitions all exist in isolation, but some of them extend the class definition of others. The "extends" statement evaluates immediately and won't have access to other things written out in the same object literal.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Ah, this won't work because it assumes the definitions all exist in isolation, but some of them extend the class definition of others. The "extends" statement evaluates immediately and won't have access to other things written out in the same object literal.

I'm not advocating shoving the whole file into the literal, just making it a K:V pair list of the functions in your library in the order you want them in, so it should traverse in that order when imported.

JavaScript code:
//library.js
function fart(size) {
  return 'f' + 'a'.repeat(size) + 'rt';
}

function display(element, string) {
  element.text
}

export default {
  fart: fart,
  display: display,
};

//playground.js
import libFuncs from 'library';

console.log(Object.keys(libFuncs)); //should be ['fart', 'display']

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Well I'm specifically avoiding solutions that require editing more than one place in source code to add a class, because I know my students won't remember to

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Well I'm specifically avoiding solutions that require editing more than one place in source code to add a class, because I know my students won't remember to

Oh, you aren't the one maintaining the library file for them? Huh.

Does your compiler support decorators? Granted, that's another thing they can forget.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Munkeymon posted:

Oh, you aren't the one maintaining the library file for them? Huh.

Does your compiler support decorators? Granted, that's another thing they can forget.

I'm the maintainer, I'm just referring to any class definitions that students decide to add for their own course projects that extend the base code. I think those class definitions should appear in the displayed navigator too, but they won't unless the students remember to do some extra and silly steps while declaring them.

No compiler is being used; so far we've been able to do everything but this just fine with vanilla es6 JavaScript. Including some pretty complex networked 3D graphics applications.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You can do complex networked 3d applications with assembly.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Build a tree from the prototypes of your "classes" and sort your result that way. Anything at the same depth in the tree gets alphabetical sort.

Wouldn't actually solve the problem in the way you want (specific ordering) but you could use it to be sure classes are listed after their base, at least.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 1, 2019

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Munkeymon posted:

I'm not advocating shoving the whole file into the literal, just making it a K:V pair list of the functions in your library in the order you want them in, so it should traverse in that order when imported.

JavaScript code:
//library.js
function fart(size) {
  return 'f' + 'a'.repeat(size) + 'rt';
}

function display(element, string) {
  element.text
}

export default {
  fart: fart,
  display: display,
};

//playground.js
import libFuncs from 'library';

console.log(Object.keys(libFuncs)); //should be ['fart', 'display']

Huh, it retains order quite a bit more than I expected. I assumed platform-specific reordering (or no reordering) would kick in as soon as the object was imported but doesn't seem to be the case. I get weird results when I play around mixing around the exports though, just tried a load of different combinations in a load of different browsers: generally the order remains as insertion, but sometimes it switches to alphabetised. I can't seem to reliably trigger it not being in insertion, it just...happens (as long as they're all in a single k:v map it always seems to work regardless of browser though, just happens that that is of no real use so :\)

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 1, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
As of ES2015 objects are specified to iterate in insertion order. Before that it was left unspecified and was up to the implementation to decide.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

necrotic posted:

As of ES2015 objects are specified to iterate in insertion order. Before that it was left unspecified and was up to the implementation to decide.

Yeah I know, it's the underlying get... methods that build out the lists of keys in order, but I couldn't figure how I can trigger alphabetical order sometimes (this in browsers that are up to date) :shrug:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

RobertKerans posted:

Yeah I know, it's the underlying get... methods that build out the lists of keys in order, but I couldn't figure how I can trigger alphabetical order sometimes (this in browsers that are up to date) :shrug:

Isn't it just import * as exports from 'library'?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm the maintainer, I'm just referring to any class definitions that students decide to add for their own course projects that extend the base code. I think those class definitions should appear in the displayed navigator too, but they won't unless the students remember to do some extra and silly steps while declaring them.

No compiler is being used; so far we've been able to do everything but this just fine with vanilla es6 JavaScript. Including some pretty complex networked 3D graphics applications.

Well you don't have to export them separately from the default export, either. Just say that that's just how you like to do exports because they enumerate nicely. There's an "extra step" either way, after all: you can forget to export something or you can forget to add it to the K:V map.

There's also another good argument for the K:V export, in that it makes it easier for you to arbitrarily rename your module internals without affecting your API.

It's, uh, interesting to me that this use case would be a lot easier to deal with if class declarations were hoisted like you'd think they would be.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Munkeymon posted:

Isn't it just import * as exports from 'library'?

That's what I thought, all the different permutations I tried for exporting just used that on the import side. I need to try this again; I think it involved exporting some in one object + some just as export function, but tried that many different ways to break the insertion order I can't remember what triggered alphabetical ordering

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
A glob import produces an object, but it's one with an order determined by the vagaries of the bundler/browser/whatever. If you want a specific ordering, you'll have to make your own object with stuff in it and put it as an export.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
I'm still messing with code golf* and was wondering if anyone had any advice for shrinking this implementation(JavaScript) of FizzBuzz down. Apparently it can be done in 36 fewer characters?

code:

for(i=1;i<101;i++)j="",f=i%3,b=i%5,q="Fizz",p="Buzz",!f&&!b?j=q+p:!f?j=q:!b?j=p:j=i,document.write(j+"<br>")

*I'm not doing it for points on any site, just to become a better programmer.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Code golf won't make you a better programmer.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
It's a nice way of discovering obscure or power-user language features you didn't know about :)

edit: I just learned that I'm good enough at parsing code now to read long nested ternary expressions like that without missing their meaning, so it's good for finding that out too. Acting like the parser and seeing what it sees regardless of formatting is an important skill for diagnosing code, which can be mistyped in ways that trigger the parser to act differently

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 3, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Chenghiz posted:

Code golf won't make you a better programmer.

In fact, it might make you a worse programmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

In fact, it might make you a worse programmer.

It'll make you the kind of programmer that makes every coworker they ever have hate them.