Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

Portland Sucks posted:

i got a stick up my butt about my current place and decided to apply to some remote only jobs just to see what was up. 15 days later i got an offer for a cool data engineering role @ 135k.

im like 2.5 years into my career as a dev started at 75k. im feelin p. good tbh.

Very nice.

All of the places I've applied to have dried up now, so I've got nothing. I figured two year mark was supposed to be when companies were more receptive, but guess not. Also I'm not sure what to apply for a lot of the time, a lot of roles marked as software engineering are asking for computer janitoring stuff like AWS and Azure or Kubernetes and Docker. I'm not saying there's something wrong with CJing, they're very important people, but I don't know any of that stuff. I still apply to them, unless they use something like Taleo. Am I wrong to think this is not a software engineer's responsibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

mekkanare posted:

All of the places I've applied to have dried up now, so I've got nothing. I figured two year mark was supposed to be when companies were more receptive, but guess not. Also I'm not sure what to apply for a lot of the time, a lot of roles marked as software engineering are asking for computer janitoring stuff like AWS and Azure or Kubernetes and Docker. I'm not saying there's something wrong with CJing, they're very important people, but I don't know any of that stuff. I still apply to them, unless they use something like Taleo. Am I wrong to think this is not a software engineer's responsibility?

This is the model a lot of companies are moving to: where developers also run the app in production and are on call for it, etc (i.e no ops team).

You'll hear stuff like "we're doing this so we don't throw stuff 'over the wall' anymore to operations and just expect them to run our code" and some of that makes sense, but what they wont talk about is ideally it means less people they have to employee, and lower organizational overhead (instead of devs, ops and maybe dedicated devops people there are just devs that do all of that).

Just another reason not to feel bad about demanding those figgies: as developer salaries have increased, their responsibilities and breadth of things they need to understand has as well (QA is a similar story, a dedicated QA group is getting rare, developers are expected to write a comprehensive test suite that eliminates the need for manual QA)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mekkanare posted:

There's pros and cons to "devops" and "SRE" or whatever term you want to use for the comingling of development and operations, but good developers should at least understand the operational and performance characteristics of their software. It helps to know about those platforms and tools even if your day to day is not centered around them, because ultimately your poo poo has to run in production and if you just poo poo out code and throw it over the wall, everyone is worse off for it

Also that's not computer janitoring (lol okay it is)

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Just got my contract cancelled because I took two days off from work "on short notice" because I had a stomach virus. (I was also working 11-7 for this client to accommodate them)

I was running a 102 and had to get fluids at a doc in the box because I couldnt drink anything without throwing up.

Hopefully my real employer doesnt fire me now :thumbsup:

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
Hi yospos will you review my resume?

I've never had to deal with a 3 page resume so I'm looking for formatting/cutting ideas if nessesary. Obv for non healthcare jobs I remove the "health" section, and I have a similar section for education jobs

how do i better genericize this poo poo? I find myself customizing each resume for way too long just to make the same words match the dumb posting

how much time should i spend tailoring resumes and cover letters when I'm applying through a portal? Should I save that for networking jobs?

I could also use some advice if you feel like reading what fed me up with my current job, and want to help me keep it long enough to find a new one. xpost from the newbie programmer thread

quote:

e: Snipped for privacy. Thanks for the help!

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 4, 2019

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Scionix posted:

Just got my contract cancelled because I took two days off from work "on short notice" because I had a stomach virus. (I was also working 11-7 for this client to accommodate them)

I was running a 102 and had to get fluids at a doc in the box because I couldnt drink anything without throwing up.

Hopefully my real employer doesnt fire me now :thumbsup:

:capitalism:

as someone with pneumonia I feel bad for you, thankfully Europe is a little more understanding about things like that

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Phraggah posted:

Hi yospos will you review my resume? https://imgur.com/a/g2qHfpq
I've never had to deal with a 3 page resume so I'm looking for formatting/cutting ideas if nessesary. Obv for non healthcare jobs I remove the "health" section, and I have a similar section for education jobs

how do i better genericize this poo poo? I find myself customizing each resume for way too long just to make the same words match the dumb posting

how much time should i spend tailoring resumes and cover letters when I'm applying through a portal? Should I save that for networking jobs?

I could also use some advice if you feel like reading what fed me up with my current job, and want to help me keep it long enough to find a new one. xpost from the newbie programmer thread

cut the spacing in between bullet points on the job descriptions
use a listing format instead of bullet points on the skill descriptions. put them on a second column on the right side of the page

you could cut like 2/3 of every single sentence on the job descriptions. repo information goes with the email in the smal font. should cut it down to 1.5 pages without serious cutting of the indivdiual sentences and to the magic 1 page if you do cut the individual sentences

resume is a marketing document. cut detail if it's not important. specifically on job description you can cut like half the bullet points

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
e: double post

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Phraggah posted:

Hi yospos will you review my resume? https://imgur.com/a/g2qHfpq

"responsible of the what and how of implementing business logic and ETLs of ..." sounds kind of vague. Was this an architecture task, prototyping, implementation, design, more of a managing/oversight role?

"to unify diverging company systems towards one organisation-wide technology with cross-product metrics" -- I'm not sure what that means. Standardized a bunch of legacy components to all go over the some storage platform, and you could then do a more standard analysis? This kind of stuff smells of trying to sound fancy, but tell it to me straight: did you take a bunch of things and had them publish to kafka (or hadoop or whatever)?

Don't write "sample-buzzwords" explicitly like that. Like if what you did was help the design and implementation of a migration of a bunch of legacy product to one central analytics mechanism, just say: "Helped the design and migration multiple existing products to a unified big-data analytics platform on <cloud platform> while remaining GDPR-compliant" or something like that. You want to focus on what you did, but also don't hide it behind one layer of abstraction anyway, because it just feels suspicious and a huge part of any interview will be figuring out if it's even revelant for real.

Similarly for the rest: "Worked with <list of roles> to develop business requirements of intuitive schemas, KPIs, and Dashboards" and "Translated back engineering details to create understanding of data meanings and drive interpretation" are both opaque business speak. What I think I read out of it is "participated in the analysis of data consumption by stakeholders to develop dashboards and new schemas that would ease understanding of data by people without in-depth knowledge of implementation details". If that's what you meant (that's what I understood), then say that. If that's not what you meant, then make it clearer. Don't make it sound like you mostly sat into meetings and are now dumping keywords to make it feel more important than it was.

"Hands-on (contributing) collaboration" is meaningless. Did you program, write libraries, debug things, sit in meetings, write documents, review them, do QA, write tests? What does "hands-on contributing collaboration" mean in your day-to-day work? If your task description does not tell me anything practical, it does not tell me much at all.

"Cultivated organization-wide excitement" Has so much potential to be better than it is currently described. What did you do to do to achieve that? Did you advocate for new practices, demonstrate what data could do, give presentations, provided training? What results did you get? Did these effort directly lead to new projects?

"Managed political influence" is kind of ominous. What do you mean by that?

The rest of the section is better. Just write "More information available on demand" rather than "Ask me for more information!"

Trim and Move key skills up closer to the beginning of the document, it gives me an overview of what you can do, and would inform my understanding of everything you mean by "collaborating with <x> on <project>".

Re: trimming, I'd say things like:
- Mentioning vim or IDEs is kind of minor, because everyone who uses a programming language uses some kind of tool anyway.
- "Process management & Automation Tools": name them, be explicit. The AWS skill is a good example of a more explicit one.
- Serverless and Cloud infra is already all covered under the AWS + Lambda line
- XML/JSON/YAML is something mostly any dev does, I don't think they're that important?
- The analytics section mentions "analytics" as a skill. That's redundant
- Name the specifics of things like non-relational or k/v DBs, and regroup them with the relational DBs. A technical person looking at them will know whether they're relational or not
- CSV is not a data structure, I'd put it with XML/JSON/YAML, and they're not necessarily a huge thing to write home about?
- Not sure what PaaS has to do with specific OSes
- Regroup things like "regulatory compliance", "business intelligence" together
- Leadership is a section, also the first skill of the section
- Things like "driving standards to allow company-wide comparisons" are two-fold. One is leadership (driving standards) and the other is a thing you should put in your experience (allowing company-wide comparison/analytics)

You can probably see the rest.

I would expect the skill list to contain as much info in half the size. For example:

Engineering
- Programming: <languages>
- Cloud Infrastructure (AWS): <list of things you already have>
- Databases: <list of DBs>
- Client/Server/REst line you have there already

Data Analytics:
- <Tableau, Snowflake, ...> line you already have
- Warehousing, ETL, Vis (better if you can name things, but not mandatory)
- Recommendation engines: <list>

Leadership and Process:
- Driving standards, mentorship and junior mentorship (interns/students/volunteers)
- Project management, agile, scrum, kan-ban, both in-house and overseas
- public speaking

And so on. You catch the gist. This should all lead up to only taking two pages only as well.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ditch the double line spacing btw. Real estate on your resume comes at a premium, don't waste it with useless whitespace.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

well i just got my first faang offer and its literally a hundred thousand dollars more than i make now and so far blows the rest of my offers out of the water. like, this is what i expected, but it still blows my mind to punch it into the "offer comparison" spreadsheet. like. drat.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its like, would i effectively pay a gently caress off amount of money to work on something that might be more interesting or might be fewer hours?? is that seriously the trade i am now having to make? this offer has broken my brain

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

its like, would i effectively pay a gently caress off amount of money to work on something that might be more interesting or might be fewer hours?? is that seriously the trade i am now having to make? this offer has broken my brain

you can bail on the faang job after a year and get anything that looks interesting on the planet

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yep. it’ll be hard to ditch that paycheck but after a few years there the world is your oyster.

will you have to move to the valley?

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

ugh i'm so hosed up over these job options I have (I know I know).

while doing background checks for this offer that's coming (any day now lol, its been 3 weeks since I had a verbal offer) one of my old jobs was like 'hey you should come back here'. I loved the place and people, and i had very specific reasons for leaving there that would no longer be applicable so i'm VERY conflicted.

at the same time I'm starting to reconsider leaving at all, I'm fuckin sick of my specific team but (any day now lol lol) I'm slated to get promoted to have my own team, working for a boss I like a lot. meanwhile my biggest worry about the place I'm waiting for an offer from is that its a gigantic company with stupid archaic everything outside of the specific group I'll join, and so I'll hate my job in like a year. the fact that they can't get me a loving offer letter is not making me feel better about this worry.

so like stay where i am: good career prospects, good money, buncha assholes, but likely not my assholes soon, not making my jobhoppy resume worse
job1: know some great people there, significant cash raise, no real change in total comp tho, massive company with lots of old school dumb poo poo which will make my skin crawl sooner or later
job2: love the people and company, could write a new role for myself, hefty chunk of equity, poo poo pay (i mean relative to other options), startup but actually profitable and growing

also the roles are all pretty different: stay and be an eng mgr, move and be an eng, move and be a product manager/eng

at least indecision paralysis leaves me where I am which seems fine :riker:

edit: on writing it out, kinda seems like I should just stay put

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

congrats bloody, hmu if you end up at google!

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

ADINSX posted:

what they wont talk about is ideally it means less people they have to employee

stannis voice FEWER

Bloody posted:

well i just got my first faang offer and its literally a hundred thousand dollars more than i make now and so far blows the rest of my offers out of the water. like, this is what i expected, but it still blows my mind to punch it into the "offer comparison" spreadsheet. like. drat.

grats Bloody

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it might be different for designers than devs but I’m noticing startups seem more willing to splash out cash salary than bigger businesses, like the 3 startups I talked to were 15-20% above what I am hearing from other places. used to be you got less cash because stock

the recent California law that forces recruiters to reveal salary ranges totally owns btw

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's because startup stock is completely worthless as compensation (unless it takes off of course, but worthless stock doesn't pay the bills right now), so they need to offer more cash to make up for it. Big companies will have reliable compensation as stock with a well defined value so they can pay less in cash.

qhat fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 29, 2019

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bloody posted:

what was the interview like

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

felt very much like a generic tech interview the entire time. on-site was some whiteboard programming and some behavioral nonsense.

whats killing me is that i think i don't want to take it? like the other two companies (1 i have an offer from, the other i expect today) are more attractive - more interesting-sounding work, way better work/life balance, and better commute, but i have no idea how i could turn down such a ridiculously large pile of cash

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Achmed Jones posted:

congrats bloody, hmu if you end up at google!

it's amazon, so i would be staying in the seattle area

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Bloody posted:

felt very much like a generic tech interview the entire time. on-site was some whiteboard programming and some behavioral nonsense.

whats killing me is that i think i don't want to take it? like the other two companies (1 i have an offer from, the other i expect today) are more attractive - more interesting-sounding work, way better work/life balance, and better commute, but i have no idea how i could turn down such a ridiculously large pile of cash

take the cash then do this in a few years when you have FAANG on your resume and figgies in the bank

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Also who knows if the bubble will pop in the next few years so take it while you still can etc

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

qirex posted:

it might be different for designers than devs but I’m noticing startups seem more willing to splash out cash salary than bigger businesses, like the 3 startups I talked to were 15-20% above what I am hearing from other places. used to be you got less cash because stock

the recent California law that forces recruiters to reveal salary ranges totally owns btw

i think it’s as simple as people not being tricked by that bullshit anymore.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Bloody posted:

at the end of the day a job is a job and the ones you’re liking more now are absolutely going to have bullshit that sucks to deal with. also keep in mind that you can let them down gracefully and reach back out to them in a year or two if you get pigeonholed at amazon.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I fully support the "getting paid" solution to this problem. If it really sucks as much as you think it will, you can always apply elsewhere and use your total comp as ridiculously strong leverage in negotiations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qhat posted:

It's because startup stock is completely worthless as compensation (unless it takes off of course, but worthless stock doesn't pay the bills right now), so they need to offer more cash to make up for it. Big companies will have reliable compensation as stock with a well defined value so they can pay less in cash.
:rolleyes:

but is that specific to designers or are you seeing SWE salaries at startups that much higher?

or is this just the most generic white noise regurgitation of a basic point blowing past all nuance

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

had my last scheduled interview at a place yesterday, waiting for them to get back to me, don't see how it could have gone better, let's see what they say

am feeling so demotivated at currentjob its hard not to just give them my two weeks now and go take a nap

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Bloody posted:

Leverage it to get an offer at another company that doesn't have a terrible culture and work life balance. Or move and fix the commuting issue at least.

Just to make sure, you are taking into account Amazon's good awful vesting structure or they're offsetting it with a sign on bonus, right?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya there's a fat offsetting signon bonus. deffo don't want to move because we have a sweet spot right now that is ludicrously cheap, but like 15 miles south of the city

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Bloody posted:

ya there's a fat offsetting signon bonus. deffo don't want to move because we have a sweet spot right now that is ludicrously cheap, but like 15 miles south of the city
Commuting into and out of that garbage daily will kill you.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

Nice. Are you working for AWS or some other division of Amazon.

I was gonna make a big writeup about it on my first day, since it isn't real until you get that badge, but I'll also be working for Amazon, AWS specifically.

Steve Jorbs posted:

Commuting into and out of that garbage daily will kill you.

Depending on where they are you can take the link or I guess the sounders train in if you're really far from the city (edit: I need to read better, 15 miles probably makes sense to take the sounders train? I know some people that use it but I've never done it personally). I live south of downtown as well and plan on taking the link

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ADINSX posted:

I was gonna make a big writeup about it on my first day, since it isn't real until you get that badge, but I'll also be working for Amazon, AWS specifically.

Depending on where they are you can take the link or I guess the sounders train in if you're really far from the city (edit: I need to read better, 15 miles probably makes sense to take the sounders train? I know some people that use it but I've never done it personally). I live south of downtown as well and plan on taking the link

I'm in the process of the AWS loop now so would love to hear more. I put together a list of every question they ever asked for a Sr. Software Development Manager and plan to have at least 2 examples/ancedotes for each but not sure how much more I can prepare.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ADINSX posted:

prime video. sounder & link are both viable options, but its still like a lot of time spent commuting

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Hughlander posted:

I'm in the process of the AWS loop now so would love to hear more. I put together a list of every question they ever asked for a Sr. Software Development Manager and plan to have at least 2 examples/ancedotes for each but not sure how much more I can prepare.

Sure, I actually found the loop really reasonable, if a little drawn out (due to their size I guess).

If you haven't done your writing sample yet (they might not make you do one) I've heard they like it in the "STAR" format, something they're big on: Situation, Task, Action, Response... its basically how you'd write something like this anyway: Background information, my specific task, what did I do, what was the result. I actually discovered the acronym after submitting my sample and realized I had done just that without knowing it had a name. I've heard they're big on "I" vs "we" there when discussing stuff like this, which is kinda counter to my nature, but they want to know what you did specifically, and that you didn't just kinda ride the coat-tails of your team.

For the in person, they REALLY love their 14 values. Something they proudly admit, and provide with the interview prep material. I actually bought a kindle book called Interviewing with Amazon or something that explained the values in more detail, and gave some example questions to expect that are centered around them. The 14 values make up the majority of the soft skills interview, and provide kind of a jumping off point for you to explain what you've worked on, etc. They'll ask lots of clarifying questions so make sure any anecdote you bring up you know lots of background information about. To prepare for this I wrote down a lot of my career highlights and just spent some time thinking about them (who asked for what, who was involved, what exactly was the outcome, what were the problems, etc)

There will be some code white boarding, but it was actually pretty reasonable, and no one assumed the "I'm the test giver you are the student" attitude, which was a huge plus. Everyone I talked to seemed nice, interested in their work, and down to earth, but maybe I just got lucky with the team.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Bloody posted:

prime video. sounder & link are both viable options, but its still like a lot of time spent commuting

ah nice, that sounds like it could be really interesting, plus as you and others have pointed out... the money is sick and the return on resume is also sick

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ADINSX posted:

Sure, I actually found the loop really reasonable, if a little drawn out (due to their size I guess).

If you haven't done your writing sample yet (they might not make you do one) I've heard they like it in the "STAR" format, something they're big on: Situation, Task, Action, Response... its basically how you'd write something like this anyway: Background information, my specific task, what did I do, what was the result. I actually discovered the acronym after submitting my sample and realized I had done just that without knowing it had a name. I've heard they're big on "I" vs "we" there when discussing stuff like this, which is kinda counter to my nature, but they want to know what you did specifically, and that you didn't just kinda ride the coat-tails of your team.

For the in person, they REALLY love their 14 values. Something they proudly admit, and provide with the interview prep material. I actually bought a kindle book called Interviewing with Amazon or something that explained the values in more detail, and gave some example questions to expect that are centered around them. The 14 values make up the majority of the soft skills interview, and provide kind of a jumping off point for you to explain what you've worked on, etc. They'll ask lots of clarifying questions so make sure any anecdote you bring up you know lots of background information about. To prepare for this I wrote down a lot of my career highlights and just spent some time thinking about them (who asked for what, who was involved, what exactly was the outcome, what were the problems, etc)

There will be some code white boarding, but it was actually pretty reasonable, and no one assumed the "I'm the test giver you are the student" attitude, which was a huge plus. Everyone I talked to seemed nice, interested in their work, and down to earth, but maybe I just got lucky with the team.

Very nice. That tracks with a lot I've heard about already only not what the writing sample would be about. If you can find the name or link to the book I wouldn't mind reading it over the weekend.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Very nice. That tracks with a lot I've heard about already only not what the writing sample would be about. If you can find the name or link to the book I wouldn't mind reading it over the weekend.

Sure, it was this https://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Amazon-Interview-Step-Guide-ebook/dp/B078FWZGRL

Not the best book in the world but the chapter about the 14 values is probably worth it, the rest can likely be skimmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Bloody posted:

Ah, ya not so bad if you can just take the train up. Good luck on your quest for figgies.