Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Razakai posted:

Is there a mod to disable magnificence or can it just be edited in the files somewhere?

It's kind of a kludgy additional two steps whenever you start up the game, but you just need Cheat Engine (via google) + my table to do that. I'm pretty sure there's fully-featured in-game Unity mods to include an extensive cheat menu in-game, but i'm not really into that scene so i can't help there. :shrug:

Post with help to get it set up: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771090&userid=149137&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post487154546

Disabling Magnificience in particular is just attaching to the game, doing "ENABLE ME FIRST" once, and then going Misc -> Disable Magnificience.

Given your history with ToME, you could probably even improve on the table by using Cheat Engine's LUA functionalities :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Between Cheat Engine and the performance, I sorta regret playing this on the Switch :suicide:

Since launch the performance has been kinda bad, during bullet-heavy sections the game drops so many frames. You'd think they would at least look at patching stuff like the Dragun, whose final phase always chips off half the framerate. They also clearly didn't take a look at how the synergies perform because some of them will get the game down to like <10 fps, like Neo Tech, Yo with the Mutation and electrified water. :sigh: If the game slowed down that would be one thing, but instead it just drops frames so you'll end up getting hit by attacks that weren't even on screen last frame.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
After I finished the dragun with only two hearts left I almost retired a run instead of going to bullet hell, but instead I went...

And it turned out that the elder blank I bought on the fifth floor was a game-changer because I already had the stuffed star. Each one is great, together they're broken. Though the real hero may have been the floor 1 valkyr for letting me getting through the entire bullet hell map losing only half a heart. And with crutch + homing bullets the shotgun shell is an amazing room clearer even through bullet hell, it's like a juiced up scrambler.

On top of it - that vorpal gun is a mac-10 duct taped to the vorpal gun, which is very insane (lich phase two only got four attack patterns in). First lich clear, all it took was an op run!

Stuffed star is one of the most synergistically op items in the game. Why is relodestone S tier and stuffed star B tier? I guess I shouldn't question it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 12, 2018

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
I had a run 2 days ago I got cigarettes and elder blank on the same floor...but I only had 2 hearts and no health dropped until after the cigarettes got stolen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I've started playing turbo mode because normal runs feel so slow. Had an amazing pilot run with SAA, ancient hero's bandana, cursed bullets, and backup gun. Ended up dying to JAMMED dragun phase 2 because the timing was so off (this was like a dream run, SAA is my favorite weapon in the game). Guess that's bound to happen the first time but still freakin hurts.

The whole thing only took 32 minutes which is a way better timeframe for a run imo. If you've finished the 6 pasts + beaten lich turbo mode is awesome, give it a shot.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I just want to report that after many months (admittedly including several weeks without playing Gungeon), I have finally defeated the Lich. Crisis Stone combined with the extremely slow reloading Stinger allow for the most hilarious and lopsided boss battles. It felt so good to just walk past those waves of bullets without taking any damage simply by timing my reloads.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I was not expecting that I would like Boss Rush so much.

Except I got Broccoli, Cactus and Bouncy Bullets, so I swept my first try.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Got my first trip to bullet hell and my first lich win thanks to decoy on floor one which let me steal the full set of payday items, as well as a mimic tooth necklace and ring of mimic friendship on floor 2. Also picked up wolf from a chest and chaos ammolet, so I could basically hide while the clown crew and my dog went to town.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Actives are really op in this game... I don't think i've ever beaten RR without elder blank or an immunity active.

Also beat the advanced dragun last night who seemed a lot easier than both RR, but again I had an elder blank (and four blanks besides) so maybe it's actually super hard.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

No Wave posted:

Actives are really op in this game... I don't think i've ever beaten RR without elder blank or an immunity active.

Also beat the advanced dragun last night who seemed a lot easier than both RR, but again I had an elder blank (and four blanks besides) so maybe it's actually super hard.

After beating the rat with every character the two hardest things about him are:

1: that loving maze at the start where you can mess up on accident and are guaranteed to lose at least one to every heart if you get bad bullet rng due to enemy spawns (robot runs kill your soul here)

2: not having a gun with good damage to deal with the first phase

I found the second and third phases are easier with practice; just save your blanks for the circle gunjurer part. The first phase is harder because of the rat traps and poison pools messing you up as the fight goes on.

Also, I find the advanced dragon more difficult because his attacks just fill out the full screen and are kinda bullshit (gently caress the bouncing flame breath)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-20-enter-the-gungeon-dev-cancels-expansion-to-work-on-new-game

quote:

"The short version is: we have been working on Gungeon for nearly five years now and from both a technical and a creativity standpoint, we need to move on. We have learned so many things about making games that are just impossible to put into practice in Gungeon (without rebuilding the entire game), and honestly, we're just more excited about putting these ideas into practice in a new game.

"For the reasons outlined above," Dodge Roll added, "we have chosen to cease development of the planned paid expansion and instead deliver a smaller, free and final update."

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

After 90 hours I'm mostly done with playing the game (never unlocked high dragunfire or chaos bullets but gently caress that). Honestly it's an exceptional game, I recommend it to anyone who's interested in playing games at all ESPECIALLY if you're on a budget. Hope their next effort is real good too.

The one suggestion I'd make is making the rat key a tiny bit cheaper and make his chest items rather than the same 4, but whatever. Love the idea of eve mode.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Laaaame. I just came across one of those articles talking about the end of development for EtG. I understand it, though.

I wonder what their next project is going to be.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Not sure what eve mode is, but the new character looks like it's gonna be an Eden type character like in Isaac, which i've been asking for for two and a half years now

HenryEx posted:

This game desperately needs an Eden character. Give 'em maybe a standard inf. ammo gun that's always the same, then +1 random gun and +1 or maybe 2 random passives/actives.

I don't care if i have to pay like 3 HC for a run with it, just patch it in already

Took them long enough

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Given how dodge roll has underestimated both the time and the ultimate size of their updates in the past, this could very well mean, "We're dropping a massive new update that will take us two years to complete."

A paid expansion with a ton of extra content would have made me happy, because I really like this game and I'm out of content, but I'm also excited to see what they do next.

They are burned out on Gungeon so I'm guessing Gungeon 2 isn't going to happen next.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 6, 2018

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Well got all the achievements. Did Challenge run on my first try and the run had terrible RNG for drops. Thank god I got a magic lamp at least.

The other thing that worked out good was the fossilized gun and bouncy bullets with the jetpack. Blasphemy was only good for the first 2 floors, as I started to get hit from then on.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Me: you know I haven't played Gungeon in like four months and I never did beat the lich. Maybe I should take a crack at it.

*gets sir junkington and the war banner on the first floor, the wolf on the second, and the space turtle on the third*

Oh :stare:

Also got the stuffed star on the third floor and duct tape on the fourth so for the few rooms where I didn't just stand in a corner and let them murder in my name I popped invincibility and shot bee-missile-wand-magic at everything until it melted :toot:. Now all that's left is that goddamn rat.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Sometimes the game showers you with absolute love. It's always great to run a train over everything when it happens.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Looks like we're getting one last content update.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Comes out April 5th so soon! Looking forward to seeing how terrible I am at this now when I log back in for it.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

now i've got to decide whether or not to keep playing it on the PC (where i started & have everything but like 4 trophies) or the PS4 which I bought on sale last Xmas and have only cleared with like 2 heroes or whether to buy it on the Switch that I just bought so that I can play it where ever i want (even though that means i'll have bought this game like 7 times).

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Freaking Crumbum posted:

now i've got to decide whether or not to keep playing it on the PC (where i started & have everything but like 4 trophies) or the PS4 which I bought on sale last Xmas and have only cleared with like 2 heroes or whether to buy it on the Switch that I just bought so that I can play it where ever i want (even though that means i'll have bought this game like 7 times).

Swiiiitch

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I didnt have the patience to grind hegemony credits out even once and cheated to give myself a few thousand. Doing that three times seems wild!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

OMG I am so happy to get some more content.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

No Wave posted:

I didnt have the patience to grind hegemony credits out even once and cheated to give myself a few thousand. Doing that three times seems wild!

the rate of credits i was accumulating was more-or-less sufficient to the progress i was making, such that i finally beat the lich for the first time around the point where i had bought everything but the micro-transaction gun. i never felt like my progress was being inhibited by lack of hegemony unlocks at least.

in my heart i know this is the right answer. if nothing else, the devs have made a loving amazing game and i have no regrets giving them more money

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I've blown through all the content and now I have a gently caress ton of credits that I can hopefully spend.

New Gungeoneers--does this mean new pasts to kill? And I'm guessing the hidden floor will be accessed through the fourth chamber?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As somebody who has spent an inordinate amount of time in EtG over the years but isn't necessarily a bullet-hell/twinstick shooter savant, does anybody have advice for the Resourceful Rat boss? Because that dude kicks my rear end quite nicely every time I visit that shitheel. I've done basically everything else in the game and the only (current) locked achievements pertain to his defeat.

Also super looking forward to this little update and am surprised to discover that it's coming out next week.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The Resourceful Rat is basically just a huge motherfucker. I don't think there's any particular trick to him. He's just a bastard and that's all there is to it.

I've been trying to git gud and beat him, but on the rare occasion I manage to beat his second phase, I eat poo poo in the minigame. God, I hate that rat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As somebody who has spent an inordinate amount of time in EtG over the years but isn't necessarily a bullet-hell/twinstick shooter savant, does anybody have advice for the Resourceful Rat boss? Because that dude kicks my rear end quite nicely every time I visit that shitheel. I've done basically everything else in the game and the only (current) locked achievements pertain to his defeat.

Also super looking forward to this little update and am surprised to discover that it's coming out next week.
It's very hard without an unusually strong loadout. You'll know you have a chance when his first phase goes down fast. Save all your blanks for the second phase. There's one attack he does there where he pulls out a mage that's actually borderline impossible to dodge (the one with all the circles) so just do your best and be ready to blank when you need to. The rest of his attacks are more realistic though the stupid lock on thing is a bastard on turbo mode.

The pilot will give you the best chance of having enough broken stuff (stuffed star + elder blank should be able to clear every time). You'll generally also want at least two master rounds going into it.

The minigame is learnable and you can very quickly get to the point where you get two of his treasures every time. I've never beaten phase three of the minigame but I'm not very good at this game.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 28, 2019

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
At this point I can beat the first two rat phases pretty much every time but I haven't actually killed the rat yet. Turns out I'm good at this game but not that good at Punch-Out! and can't seem to beat the last round.

The Rat is actually closer to the Dragon than, say, the Ammocanda in that he follows specific predictable patterns. Once the patterns are down, he's a chump. Just recognize the pattern and then focus on your character and what you need to execute to survive it. Have a plan for each attack pattern. Mostly your plan should be about small precise movements.

Phase 1: The most dangerous moves for me are the rat-traps and the shots that are called out with the laser. The rat traps are just a bitch that makes everything a bit harder because they have unpredictable placement. I have trouble seeing them on my lovely small TV too. To beat the shots you need to place yourself between the red lines instead of trying to jump away from them. The incoming waves are surprising, but you can just jump sideways over them once you're used to them coming in instead of going out.

Phase 2: This is a lot harder. For each move there's a specific place that you should be standing and small precise moves are usually better than big dramatic ones. The waves are beat by standing in a corner and jumping in place instead of trying to jump over them. The targeting circle is beat by jumping in the middle and then moving with it, then quickly jumping in and out when the blast comes. The one with a bunch of moving circles is beat by using a Blank! That's the hardest one for me, I always blank it away if I can once the space fills with bullets, but you could survive it by jumping between the empty circles like it's the dragon's wave. The swirling lasers shouldn't be a big deal, neither should the swarm of rats if you have a rapid-fire or wide spread weapon.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I finally did it. I had a broken loadout saved at the fourth floor and got to the lich pretty easily. After phase 1 when the hand comes to get you I ran out of the room, stood over a pit with the rat boots on, the lich hand grabbed me, the screen turned black and I heard the falling sound. Then the screen never stopped being black and the minimap showed me moving around (and I would take damage from enemies in unexplored rooms). I've always tried to glitch that hand out!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Guddamn!

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Phase 2 of the rat isn't that bad once you know how to dodge the worst attacks. You can walk around the outside of the crosshair if you have the movement down, which I find more consistent than rolling in and then out again, but I also usually blank this attack.
The moving circles are easy once you have the pattern down. Move from the middle left to right then dodge roll down into the open circle that will line up right below you. Dodge roll with the movement angle of the circle when it closes in on you. If you do this correctly the pattern will disperse by the time you're in the top left of the room.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
https://youtu.be/RiyeAH6bmG4?t=79

Here's a visual example of what he means on how to dodge the screen of circles. It's super easy once you got it down. I'd say the hardest rat attack are the missiles he shoots that hit the wall and split into bullets, I'll usually just blank that one if I have blanks.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You want something with very high DPS for his first phase so you don't waste resources for the second phase. Explosives are really good for this fight, but honestly there's no big trick to it. You want as many blanks as possible for his second phase. Elder blank really helps a lot, as does any active item that makes you invulnerable. Whenever he does his big bullet hell pattern in the second phase, I just pop a blank, use invulnerability, or use another item or weapon to clear bullets. It's really tough to dodge properly through the whole thing. When he does his circular wave of bullets, I run to the back of the arena and dodge against the wall, because I've found it's much easier to time is that way.

I would recommend going through at least the first hidden floor to accumulate resources. I will usually try to do the second hidden floor as well, but it isn't absolutely necessary. If you struggle on the second hidden floor's boss, it might not be worth it. Pilot is probably your best bet for getting as many resources as possible for the fight.

The Punch Out minigame is hard, and I've only cleared it once. I'd recommend watching some videos of people clearing it for tips on the timing.

EDIT: Bullet can also be a good choice for the fight because he can't be damaged by the adds (though he can be pushed around, so be careful).

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 29, 2019

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
One big caveat for the rat fights. They're pattern and timing based. Freezing weapons throw off the pattern and timing, making some of them impossible to dodge.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I always wondered why they never used the eXistenZ tooth gun.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Just me, my birds, invulnerability for days, and my orbital gun. Getting ready for this update and boy did this run snowball fast.

Think Relodestone was the only other invuln item I didn't get this run. Found 3 vampire girls so was flush with cash too.

Destro fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 30, 2019

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I still kinda love this game but I wish there were built in cheats. Make it cost an obscene number of h-credits. Just let me try 6 guon stones or whatever! The update has me stoked as heck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Guess they gotta drag me back in one last time.