Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

letwin’s optimism is absolutely adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Fun reminder that Letwin was first known for his 1980s book of reheated Friedman takes called 'Privatise the World' and is a right piece of work

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah im aware he’s a tory

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

Wow, this is a lovely thing I did not know about :smith:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1111190204138864640

Hmmm. Weird that the Scottish National Party would turn on a government that completely hosed them over. But I guess it's those damned Scots who are to blame for Labour's government being so unpopular that it collapsed and then Labour losing a bunch of elections.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Taintrunner posted:

So how badly does this crash the global economy lmao

It doesn't. Britain doesn't matter.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

prefect posted:

That hair :catstare:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Taintrunner posted:

So how badly does this crash the global economy lmao

It won't, the businesses don't collapse, they already have brexit plans they put into action, investment capital has moved out of the UK and finance jobs will to to Dublin Paris Frankfurt and Amsterdam

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Reading through all that stuff today makes me think, is there any basis for my feeling that the group actions of an organization like the UK Parliament strongly resembles the actions of a single three and a half year old child?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Samurai Sanders posted:

Reading through all that stuff today makes me think, is there any basis for my feeling that the group actions of an organization like the UK Parliament strongly resembles the actions of a single three and a half year old child?

That's a bridge too far.

Three year olds are more reasonable.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Hmmm. Weird that the Scottish National Party would turn on a government that completely hosed them over. But I guess it's those damned Scots who are to blame for Labour's government being so unpopular that it collapsed and then Labour losing a bunch of elections.

drat, everything is hosed up. :(

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I always wondered what the "people voted for Trump for good reasons" argument would look like in British form.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Wanting the British to suffer is very Scottish. It's why they stayed.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Relevant Tangent posted:

Wanting the British to suffer is very Scottish. It's why they stayed.

Scottish people are British

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
And they clearly want themselves to suffer, or else why would they have voted to affirm the English yoke? :colbert:

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Weird that the Scottish National Party would turn on a government that completely hosed them over. But I guess it's those damned Scots who are to blame for Labour's government being so unpopular that it collapsed and then Labour losing a bunch of elections.

any scottish person who says 'yeah it was the right thing to help thatcher into power' is scientifically and unarguably accurate to term 'damned'

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

JFairfax posted:

Scottish people are British

tell them that

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ScrubLeague posted:

tell them that

Well even with independence I think Scotland will remain part of the British Isles

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

irish people are british

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They really need a bit more room in the House of Commons Chamber.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They really need a bit more room in the House of Commons Chamber.

They're probably only allowed to build new benches out of some special ancient wood that was once sat upon by some sort of royal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

prefect posted:

https://twitter.com/barneyronay/status/1111191468927082496?s=19

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I apologize for stepping in the SNP thing without understanding the history. I hope this is interesting enough to serve as penance.

https://twitter.com/nichol77/status/1111223773993275392

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

prefect posted:

I apologize for stepping in the SNP thing without understanding the history. I hope this is interesting enough to serve as penance.

You loving pussy never apologize

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

prefect posted:

This just reinforces the notion that parliament voted for anything yesterday (it didn't) and that you can vote against no deal without either concluding bilateral a deal with the EU or unilaterally revoking Article 50 (you can't).

So I welcome it as a contribution to project "Keep making Bexit a maelstrom of chaos that will devour the remnants of the British empire".

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I always wondered what the "people voted for Trump for good reasons" argument would look like in British form.

i would understand if you've been maintaining a heroic BAC in these end of days and don't recall but you must have seen the "people voted for Trump for good reasons" argument about a thousand times by now w/r/t brexit and people voting leave because they've been let down by the government and just wanted to make that clear etc. etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

lmao at posting a wings over scotland article.

https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1110158462988754944
https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1110486843756290051
https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1110882972205531136
https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1110189944767696902

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Did something happen in Britain that put Chelsea Manning back in the spotlight?

Last time I heard of her, she was pardoned by Obama, then was alleged to hang around alt-right people and disappeared from the mainstream media coverage.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the guy behind wings over scotland is suing a labour politician because she wrote an article about his homophobic tweets

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Randler posted:

Did something happen in Britain that put Chelsea Manning back in the spotlight?

Last time I heard of her, she was pardoned by Obama, then was alleged to hang around alt-right people and disappeared from the mainstream media coverage.

They threw her in jail again. Wikipedia:

In February 2019, Manning received a subpoena to testify in a US government case against WikiLeaks and Julian Assange (the existence of which had been accidentally revealed in November 2018), which was proceeding at the behest of the Trump administration under prosecutors in Virginia.[218] Manning condemned the secrecy of the hearings and announced she would avoid testifying as Daniel Domscheit-Berg had previously done,[219] saying "we've seen this power abused countless times to target political speech. I have nothing to contribute to this case and I resent being forced to endanger myself by participating in this predatory practice."[220] On March 8, 2019, she was held in contempt of court and jailed in Alexandria, Virginia, with the judge conditioning her release on her testifying or the grand jury concluding its work.[221][222][223]

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hahaha Jesus Christ

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I love brexit, it's my favorite political drama since despite being a bit less full on idiotic than the trump government, it has way less. Of an impact on the world. The season Finale is looking to be killer too!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

prefect posted:

As soon as I read Labour Plan, I immediately thought "Lisa needs assurances"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

As soon as I read Labour Plan, I immediately thought "Lisa needs assurances"

BREXIT PLAN!

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Jose posted:

the guy behind wings over scotland is suing a labour politician because she wrote an article about his homophobic tweets

I admit that I didn't know that, I saw the article linked and looked over it and thought it would be more intellectually honest to post it directly than to post the sources I got from it. My bad.

ulex minor posted:

any scottish person who says 'yeah it was the right thing to help thatcher into power' is scientifically and unarguably accurate to term 'damned'

The Scots didn't vote Thatcher into power. They gave Labour twice as many seats as they gave the Tories. Sheppard didn't say "better Thatcher than keeping that government!!", he said said he would have done the same thing, i.e. voted against a confidence vote in a government that hosed his party over. Here's the full speech where he follows up saying he would do the same thing by adding that they didn't vote for 18 years of tories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB6Ro1cNTaM

Labour would super like to frame any dissendence against them as voting to make a Tory PM dictator but it's pretty rich to accuse the SNP of being Tory sympathisers.

Also it's pretty bad timing when the SNP has been way more on top of Brexit stuff than Labour.

Taciturn Tactician has issued a correction as of 13:51 on Mar 28, 2019

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

To be clear the Wings guy is also a Glinner-adjacent TERF, but no matter how objectionable he becomes Callaghan's quote remains the same

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

ulex minor posted:

Just a warning from an American, "not voting with me is voting for the bad guy" trolley problem language is how you end up with Democrats. You don't want to have Democrats.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Goon Danton posted:

Just a warning from an American, "not voting with me is voting for the bad guy" trolley problem language is how you end up with Democrats. You don't want to have Democrats.

The Brits have been enjoying the fun of a de-toothed centrist "left" party for almost the same amount of time as us. The whole Blairite phenomena.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

So Chuka really is Obama

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What's the difference between 'customs union' and the labor plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Grape posted:

The Brits have been enjoying the fun of a de-toothed centrist "left" party for almost the same amount of time as us. The whole Blairite phenomena.

The democrats aren't a centrist party, though. They're decidedly right-wing.