Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nevvy Z posted:

The newest issue of Batman is loving hilarious.
BEEPBEEP

I love that every Lee Weeks issue ends up backing up the Elmer Fudd comic.
They should've snuck something in to his HiC fill-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Spoiler for latest issue of Batman I guess. I don't know how I feel about this issue honestly. As a one and done issue it is actually quite excellent and the twist* at the end made me appreciate it even more, but as something that is supposed to be of a loosely connected bigger storyline it just felt unnecessary. I am losing patience with Knightmare, even though the issues involved range from good to great. If this was just treated as a one and done issue I would rate it quite highly just from a storytelling point of view but if it is supposed to be a piece of a bigger puzzle it is taking too long then to put that puzzle together.

*As for the twist At first I was annoyed with the comic being a silent issue because I tend to get through those really quickly, but seeing at the end that it was basically the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote made me want to re-read it again. The action set pieces were straight out cartoonish and exciting, and having Elmer the only person to speak sealed the deal. It was an excellently plotted and planned out comic and really played on the cartoon aspect of the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote. Even the minimal sound effects (outside of the beep beep) were used to a great advantage and I would honestly put this comic in one of the best of the King run so far, if it was just a stand alone. Also the stuff with Joker's victim just seemed perfect for the Joker, and honestly was a better portrayal of his twisted madness than anything we have seen in years

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's like the Batman issues during Final Crisis where he was living some dream state while captured minions of Darksied, but that was just two comics.

Madkal posted:

having Elmer the only person to speak

That was Porky.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 20, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Jarrobin FTFY

Can we retroactively rewrite DC 1,000,000 with this character instead of Robin-bot?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I find a lot of Snyder's JL trite but no human alive can dislike Jarro. What a great idea and little starfish buddy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i would like to give props to naomi for having a guy in a super suit and not hiding the dad gut

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Naomi 3 was so good.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Regarding Naomi 3:

Is her Dad supposed to be a Rannian? hence her Mum hating the Thanagarian? I've not read any of the stories of those races except the war story in Infinite Crisis.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

frameset posted:

Regarding Naomi 3:

Is her Dad supposed to be a Rannian? hence her Mum hating the Thanagarian? I've not read any of the stories of those races except the war story in Infinite Crisis.
Yes to the first part, TBD on the second. Her mom probably isn't Rannian, considering she told Naomi that this particular reveal is for only for her dad to give. It looks like what's happening in this book is that Naomi's secret origin is going to encompass, like, just about every single setting or thing in the DCU, so I wouldn't be surprised if we find out the mom is secretly from Atlantis or Eclipso's daughter or something

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jeff Lemire just put out a newsletter revealing that he's working on a yet to be announced Black Label comic and that Inferior Five/Peacemaker is still happening.
https://tinyletter.com/JeffLemire/letters/welcome-to-the-new-tales-from-the-farm-jeff-lemire-newsletter

quote:

I'm mostly creator-owned, and don't anticipate doing any freelance monthly comics any more for Marvel or DC. But I do still like dabbling in those worlds on special projects when I can. Right now I'm working on one of the "Black Label" books for DC Comics. I've written three out of four issues so far, and each issue is 48-pages long. The artist I am working with is one of my all-time heroes, and we are working on a character that he is well known for and hasn't had a chance to draw regularly for almost thirty years! I can't wait for this book to be announced. ??

Another DC project is THE INFERIOR FIVE, a 12-issue series which I am co-writing and co-drawing with the great Keith Giffen! The book is super weird and super-Giffen. I am co-plotting and scripting the main story with Keith, as well as writing and drawing 5-page back-up stories in each issue featuring the DC/Chartlon character THE PEACEMAKER. These stories are being coloured by my Sweet Tooth collaborator, Jose Villarubia. The book was announced awhile ago, but has been delayed. But it is still very much in the works though. I believe the current plan is a Fall release.

Don't tell DC or Keith I that showed you one of his inked pages from Issue 4...

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Wonder Woman with George Perez?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Maybe, but Kelly Sue DeConnick's already doing a Wonder Woman one.

edit: Actually, her's is about Hippolyta, so that might not count it out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jeff Lemire just put out a newsletter revealing that he's working on a yet to be announced Black Label comic and that Inferior Five/Peacemaker is still happening.
https://tinyletter.com/JeffLemire/letters/welcome-to-the-new-tales-from-the-farm-jeff-lemire-newsletter

Yep. Lemire the person has been replaced with Lemire the comic book making machine. No need for food or sleep.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

George Perez is retired now. He's got a lot of health issues, including vision ones. No more commissions or full con schedule or anything.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Comics are out.
Making my way through Det #1000 and took a Hi-C break.
Who know's if it'll be an ongoing thing, but Ivy is revived by Wally in this issue where she has a creepy new look.

Since Rebirth Miss Martian is a thing, I don't think the green face/red hair look is the best idea. Or the visible musculature, but maybe she's not done growing.

The title page is gorgeous, though.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm sure this is not King's intended message, but there's an unfortunate "if you go to therapy you'll get worse and it won't be able to protect you from anything" vibe to Heroes in Crisis as it goes along. Again-- I am sure that's not what King thinks he's writing, but this is what happens when you write a story badly, you end up making arguments against your own will. It's eerily similar to how Identity Crisis ended up as a cautionary tale about having loved ones or being loved.

All the pieces of a good story are here, and the individual scenes of patient interviews are often pretty nicely written, but what a mess, structurally.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
I feel like Sanctuary isn't one-to-one a metaphor for therapy, is the thing. It acts like it, but, crucially, the process leaves them alone in their own thoughts, which is the part where things get hosed up. The big idea of Heroes in Crisis, to me, is that you do not have to face these things alone. The two main characters of the event, Booster Gold and Harley Quinn, get better once they get help from someone else, whether that's Blue Beetle or Batgirl. I think in retrospect we'll look at the moment when Blue Beetle breaks Booster out of jail as the lynchpin of the series, because it's a very literal breakthrough moment.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I finally got around to reading Johns' new Shazam series and I honestly kinda dig it. Dale Eaglesham makes it gorgeous. Although it is kinda funny that the cover is is all 'trying to save the world and pass math!' and the Marvel Family have spend maybe a couple of pages on Earth.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bendis straight up said in an AMA a while ago that he'd get Clark to look like Bradley Cooper in American Hustle for an undercover disguise, but it's still an arresting thing to turn a page to in today's Action.

It kinda looks like he's turning himself african american instead, which is where I'm guessing peoples' minds are gonna go.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 27, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My first thought was a Jewish Kurt Angle, but Lois is going to need a disguise too and they're right in the Fortress of Solitude so...

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Heroes in Crisis

Atleast we got a pretty crazy take on Plant/Human hybrid Poison Ivy out of this event.

eliotlucas
Aug 6, 2006

Heroes in Crisis has been incredible in the fact that each issue builds up momentum to something actually happening but nothing does and the issue ends and then you start over again with the next issue.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bendis straight up said in an AMA a while ago that he'd get Clark to look like Bradley Cooper in American Hustle for an undercover disguise, but it's still an arresting thing to turn a page to in today's Action.

It kinda looks like he's turning himself african american instead, which is where I'm guessing peoples' minds are gonna go.

lmao. Chaz. It deifnitely is weird that his hair grows curly like that, but IMO, it's more Greek than African.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Half way through Detective #1000 and so far all the stories are pretty solid. I love the one and done stuff there isn't anything too crazy or world shattering which is how it should be. Even the Kevin Smith one is a nice little story.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The only story I hate from it is the Tom King one. There's a bunch of weird issues like how there's an entire group of characters and for half the pages they're all off panel, but with nothing to indicate who's talking other than limited context. The panel with Tim and Steph here annoys me a lot

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I agree with Helena and Cass, though

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I liked the exchange between Babs and Kate.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
Hasn't Kate... not actually ever been to war either? I thought she was at West Point when she got kicked out of the military.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darth Nat posted:

Hasn't Kate... not actually ever been to war either? I thought she was at West Point when she got kicked out of the military.

Stolen Valor!!!!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

I agree with Helena and Cass, though

They stopped the whole Bat-Team book, right?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was James Tynion's Det run, which ended may last year.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 28, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

That was James Tynion's Det run, which ended may last year.

No, I was thinking of the Bryan Hill Outsiders book which apparently never came out but is on track for May.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Xelkelvos posted:

The only story I hate from it is the Tom King one. There's a bunch of weird issues like how there's an entire group of characters and for half the pages they're all off panel, but with nothing to indicate who's talking other than limited context. The panel with Tim and Steph here annoys me a lot

It doesn’t really matter who’s saying what for most of that dialogue. It’s just banter. Tom King always does a good job writing the Bat family.

I really liked Snyder’s story. I’ve been waiting like twelve years for a detective club. In my head it was Flash instead of Hawkman and Hawkgirl, but everybody else was spot on.

All the stories were pretty good. Even the Johns/Jones story was alright for the sheer weirdness of it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's a lot of fun stuff with Diana and Giganta in WW this week. I don't know if Wilson realizes it or not, but she's continuing this cool trend over the years where WW's enemies will just...like, throw up their hands, say "gently caress it," and team up with her at the end of the day. It's happened over and over, more for WW than I can think of for any other leading hero. There was a time throughout the nineties where WW was just lowsy with former foes turning up to fight on her side, and even the N52 had the big thing where she befriended the previously unfriendable Hera. Diana's "thing," despite what someone like Geoff Johns might think, is not that she doesn't have a lot of villains because she deals with them lethally. It's that she doesn't have a lot of villains because she ends up actually redeeming a whole lot of them.

I mean...that is, until Johns decides that they just want Giganta to be his generic menacing villain again and turns her into a monosyllabic brute as is currently happening in Doomsday Clock. :v:

Anyway. The rest of the issue is...I'm a little unsure where we're going with this thing with Maggie and Damon? The satyr? I mean, Wilson...knows what satyrs are, right? Which. Look. I love satyrs. They're one of my favorite mythological things with tons of cool lore and mythic resonance.

They are also.......uh...the nicest way to say might be mega pervy chuds, so, choosing to portray an idyllic young romance between one of these guys and your new ingenue OC is......unexpected, in a word. I'm just not sure where we're planning to go with this.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

It doesn’t really matter who’s saying what for most of that dialogue. It’s just banter. Tom King always does a good job writing the Bat family.

You can still have good banter and bad banter and there's definitely some banter there that's bad. Damien and Dick are written fine enough. Jason is a bit much but okay, but I still take ire to Steph's stuff as that seems way off compared to how she's been portrayed for the last few years. Heck, even Bab's and Kate's own little argument seem a bit OOC.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dial H for Hero was wonderful. I'm already sad it's just a miniseries.

edit: I actually liked the King story in Det 1000 the best. It's definitely the most entertaining dialogue he's written in months.
ee: Haven't read Walmart Superman, though.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 28, 2019

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Teenage Fansub posted:

Jerry Ordway and Shazam?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cass/Helena miniseries of them beating people up and being terse and snarky when.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Terse is a better name than Orphan. Snarky is probably a lateral move for Hunteess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I just don't get how Orphan can be your superhero name when you are in a group where I'm pretty sure every single person is an Orphan except Damian. And I guess Kate? Just a lot or Orphans in the superhero biz. It'd be like naming yourself Superhero or Martial Artist.