Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

There's those weirdos that go on about glorious european culture as opposed to the evil forrin muslim barbarianism or whatever. Bit of an alt right thing where they want to gussy up their racism to sound cosmopolitan.

Im not sure this is so common as to be a problem that someone else calling themselves european is going to ordinarily be mistaken for these unlikely weirdos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Azza Bamboo posted:

I don't know about Scotland and have kept quiet about it. My only issue with the SNP isn't on any ideological grounds, just that they evidently split the Labour vote from 2010 onwards. That raises an open question for me which is "Would I rather a Labour Majority than a Lab/SNP coalition?" Looking at SNP policy they tend to be aligned to the left, and yet at the same time they take every chance they can to have a dig at Labour even where they seem to agree. That's really all I have to offer on Scotland.

This essentially cuts both ways, the last labour leader, for example, said during the 2015 election that he was “not going to have a Labour government if it means a coalition or deals with the SNP”. The implication of that was that a minority Tory government would have been preferable to the Labour leader over a Labour-SNP coalition. At the last election, Corbyn said “there will be no coalition deal with the SNP and a Labour government.”

Now that’s a perfectly cogent position if there’s a fundamental incompatibility between the SNP and Labour, Labour’s not obliged to make a coalition with anyone, but you can’t really take a public position that you’ll never make agreements with another party even where common ground could be found and then lament that they oppose you.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/benton_dan/status/1111243057738014720

Every once in a while it's nice to remember that all the people who utterly despise Jeremy Corbyn in the centre do so because they view the Coalition as the peak of politics.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

European before British sounds a lot like that "race before nation" poo poo, which is popular among pan-European white natsracists. They're bad. (but so are nations)

Sure, I can see that, but I would literally always describe myself as primarily a European rather than Irish, and I don't think I've ever been assumed to be a member of the fascists-formerly-known-as Identity Evropa (despite my fash haircut).

Maybe a lil different in Ireland tho, where most of our potential fash have been channeled into being "left-wing" Shinner supporters

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jose posted:

jfc now we've got The Saj, The Truss and The Gav

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1111266631005679616

Lol do they really think they can strong arm the DUP? They really don't understand them at all

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

mehall posted:

You're not wrong that the SNP has taken the Labour vote in Scotland ("split" would be generous at this point), and I get the idea of preferring an outright Lab government, but the SNPs whipping operation is the strongest out there, if they made a coalition they wouldn't vote against it, whereas we've already seen what the neoliberal MPs under the Labour banner do, and most of Scotland would be neolibs from Labour.

It's fair to say Scotland's left is taken by the SNP. I'm looking at the UK as a whole, where Scotland's SNP vote represents a split. I'm not aware of the candidates Labour puts forward in Scotland or whether they're neolib, but there's a possibility now the SNP is established that it'll poach candidates from the left as well as votes. While Scottish Labour then seems done for, having to deal with two separate parties is still an obstacle.

Is there a possibility that the left wing elements of Labour and the SNP could merge fully into a party?

If the answer to that is no, then thinking about why is a way to tease out the real divisions between the two parties that could even come to a head in a coalition.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Im not sure this is so common as to be a problem that someone else calling themselves european is going to ordinarily be mistaken for these unlikely weirdos.

Well yeah but the apple store is called stormfront so what other people think of and what I, the person with terminal internet poisoning think of, are not necessarily the same.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jose posted:

its 100% the withdrawal agreement without the political declaration which is the actually important bit and includes the backstop

Looks like you're right

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1111259667286671365?s=21

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Obliterati posted:

I'm literally suggesting the alternative here, but if you're happy you're happy

Who said I am happy? What you suggest is an alternative that yeah sure, I can see the appeal of but I still think that sometimes we miss the trees for the forest when it comes to ensuring a fair deal for the people who suffer under right wing governments. I guess the problem with my approach is that there is a large part of the population is politically uneducated and has no idea what they are voting for if they vote at all. But that doesn't change the fact that if the UK splintered like the SNP want, it would gently caress over far far more many people than it would ultimately help. Perhaps that line of thinking is flawed, I don't pretend to be any sort of expert in these matters. All I know is that nothing will change if we have huge chunks of the liberal voting base sat in their own little camps complaining about each other rather than working proactively together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can't say I have any idea what could be achieved by voting on the deal without the important bits that the EU mandated...

Like that doesn't mean you got the deal through parliament you tits.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is there a possibility that the left wing elements of Labour and the SNP could merge fully into a party?

This is many people's favoured post-indy option, but so long as one party is ScotNat and the other is convinced we're all secretly wanking to Ginger Hitler it'll no be happening.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/benton_dan/status/1111243057738014720

Every once in a while it's nice to remember that all the people who utterly despise Jeremy Corbyn in the centre do so because they view the Coalition as the peak of politics.

Ah yes Cameron was just "pootling along" while poors died all around him

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Well yeah but the apple store is called stormfront so what other people think of and what I, the person with terminal internet poisoning think of, are not necessarily the same.
otoh sometimes it does pay to be suspicious.

OK signs, and frog faces quickly turned into 'Grand Wizards' and 'Blueshirts' while nobody was watching or was blaming a dead Holocaust survivor for inventing antisemitism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

'Blueshirts'

Wait what are those?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Wait what are those?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueshirts

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jose posted:

jfc now we've got The Saj, The Truss and The Gav

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/1111266631005679616

If only we could watch the moment gavin tries to boss around the dup

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This attempt by May should fail because it has all the same problems as her resigning. That some hard brexit nutter would now have totsl control of negotiations

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Obliterati posted:

This is many people's favoured post-indy option, but so long as one party is ScotNat and the other is convinced we're all secretly wanking to Ginger Hitler it'll no be happening.

I'm in England. If independence is a given I then don't have to think about the SNP at all. I have to think about how to turn as many constituencies as possible red.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like when your article has a whole paragraph about how you aren't fascists that's a bit self defeating.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Ah yes Cameron was just "pootling along" while poors died all around him

Would you believe that people brought that up to him and he said that Cameron would have to "Back off" from austerity because it was becoming unpopular.

Because of course none of it is ideological.

Also these two are the CEO's of an app that polls teachers and a "Charity" that pushes Neoliberal reforms onto education.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like when your article has a whole paragraph about how you aren't fascists that's a bit self defeating.

Article has a whole paragraph about how you aren't fascists

Article image:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is this thread bad at ScotPol or are nationalists bad at this thread? :thunkher:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
are the scots and english still fighting itt

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Is that because everyone drives giant hummers or just bad drivers?

To be honest it's not even hummers, it's pickups.

Even if you only drive a mile down the road you are guaranteed to see a few enormous pickups on the road.

It's not at all unusual to see these:

That's a "super duty" pickup - notice the extra set of wheels and extra width on the rear. They're loving gigantic.

Also to give some context we just switched our driving licenses over to Canadian ones, and on the STANDARD full license with no special training, I am allowed to drive vehicles up to 11000kg and tow trailers up to 4600kg.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Reveilled posted:

This essentially cuts both ways, the last labour leader, for example, said during the 2015 election that he was “not going to have a Labour government if it means a coalition or deals with the SNP”. The implication of that was that a minority Tory government would have been preferable to the Labour leader over a Labour-SNP coalition. At the last election, Corbyn said “there will be no coalition deal with the SNP and a Labour government.”

Now that’s a perfectly cogent position if there’s a fundamental incompatibility between the SNP and Labour, Labour’s not obliged to make a coalition with anyone, but you can’t really take a public position that you’ll never make agreements with another party even where common ground could be found and then lament that they oppose you.

'coalition' and 'never made agreements' aren't the same thing though? Viz: the DUP, right now. (Well possibly not right now, who knows at the moment)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's fair to say Scotland's left is taken by the SNP. I'm looking at the UK as a whole, where Scotland's SNP vote represents a split. I'm not aware of the candidates Labour puts forward in Scotland or whether they're neolib, but there's a possibility now the SNP is established that it'll poach candidates from the left as well as votes. While Scottish Labour then seems done for, having to deal with two separate parties is still an obstacle.

Scotlab trends more blairite than the UK party as a whole, which isn't ideal. The SNP does get a lot of left votes but I can honestly see this slipping slightly as a response to Corbynism- people vote party not candidate, of course, and the nats whole schtick was attacking Labour from the left during the Miliband years, which they can't do anymore.

Other complicating factors: indyref positions have a huge impact on voting intention, with the SNP becoming the de facto 'yes' party (ofc) and the Tories (cons + unionist officially) becoming the 'No'. This really hurt Labour as we saw in 2015, though given the impressive recovery in 2017 how this will balance out in future is uncertain. I instinctively feel that the further we get from the indyref the better for Labour.

Major tribalism/sectarianism between Labour and the SNP - they hate each other more than either hate the Tories, and it takes a lot to get people to switch sides. The last few years shows that this assumption is eroding a little though - SNP gains in 2015 were completely groundbreaking.

The 'Scottish left' is actually considerably more diverse than the English, and it's wrong to assume that the SNP holds all the cards. Labour are obviously the big alternative, and while they shot themselves in the foot over the indyref I feel like they're recovering. Also the scottish greens are much more powerful than their English equivalents (and have better policies), though at the local/holyrood level. The RIC isn't a party but also represents a huge variety of pro-indy leftwingers, and has a lot of indirect cultural influence through offshoots like Bella Caledonia and commonspace.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
What are the actual 'scotland-specific' issues lab/scotlab are failing to understand? I get that they're lovely blairite holdouts but the answer to that is more corbyn surely. Is the 2017 lab manifesto that objectionable to scotland?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Azza Bamboo posted:

Article image:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Reveilled posted:

I can see this from England left's point of view: Our left wing, Labour or coalition, cannot afford Scotland to leave the UK. From that frame of reference all of the above makes a little sense to me. It's not fair to Scotland to make their independence decisions from the outside and it's also not fair to the rest of the union to saddle us with the Tories.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 28, 2019

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Communist Bear posted:

Oh gosh well in that case sign me the gently caress up to our Saviour of Britain And All That's Good, The loving Labour Party.

I think you just do it through the website, mate.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Rustybear posted:

What are the actual 'scotland-specific' issues lab/scotlab are failing to understand? I get that they're lovely blairite holdouts but the answer to that is more corbyn surely. Is the 2017 lab manifesto that objectionable to scotland?

This is the question I ask my Scottish SNP voting mates and I never get a concrete answer. In fact, several of them actually say that they have nothing against Corbyn or anything, but they just want independence because they do.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Rustybear posted:

Many of them are, like you say, blairite holdouts who hate Corbyn and constantly say things that undermine him and by extension the party's electoral chances.

More importantly, Labour's approach to pro-independence arguments is the same skin-deep knee jerk reactionary rubbish you see itt. They would do well to have a more measured and thoughtful policy than 'lol no idiots'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Jesus christ, another council doing that? Thought it was just Northampton pouring funds into the void. Wonder how many others there are. What the gently caress is going on with these people?

Not to say that Aberdeen City Council didn't have problems under Labour, but this guy is full of poo poo. ACC has been hit harder by cuts than any other SLA and the SNP were responsible for that; TECA was commissioned seven years ago before the worst of the cuts came in - in fact I think the initial idea was put forward under the LD/SNP coalition as far back as 2010 - and was badly needed anyway as the existing AECC is a complete dump in a terrible location; and the public transport has been run by First Group for decades, which should tell you everything you need to know about that.

Also the plan to close all the branch libraries was axed, thankfully.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mehall posted:

I'm sorry, what numbers are being used that so many UKIP get returned, especially in Scotland?

I'm assuming that's from an EU parliament election. Basically the only people who vote in those are the people who really hate the EU.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Azza Bamboo posted:

Article image:

Haigh Hitler.

feedmegin posted:

I'm assuming that's from an EU parliament election. Basically the only people who vote in those are the people who really hate the EU.
I have a feeling that a lot of this could have been prevented if more money was spent on getting people interested and excited about the European Elections.

Also more money was spent in general.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

feedmegin posted:

'coalition' and 'never made agreements' aren't the same thing though? Viz: the DUP, right now. (Well possibly not right now, who knows at the moment)

The agreement between the DUP and Conservatives was a confidence and supply arrangement, which was also specifically ruled out by Corbyn.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

ThomasPaine posted:

Many of them are, like you say, blairite holdouts who hate Corbyn and constantly say things that undermine him and by extension the party's electoral chances.

More importantly, Labour's approach to pro-independence arguments is the same skin-deep knee jerk reactionary rubbish you see itt. They would do well to have a more measured and thoughtful policy than 'lol no idiots'

Well pro/anti indyref2 is a given; I meant beyond that. The argument for indyref2 is supposed to be we need it because the Westminster parties don't currently and will never understand all these other things that need sorting.

Not trying to say independence doesn't look tempting given the housefire that is westminster politics rn just that it seems like the interests of the average working person in say Manchester and Glasgow still largely align?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is the support for independence mostly about trying to separate from Westminster, or is it specifically the threat of Tories?

Or is it a thing where people want to beat their chest and be Scottish for cultural reasons?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

I can see this from England left's point of view: Our left wing, Labour or coalition, cannot afford Scotland to leave the UK. From that frame of reference all of the above makes a little sense to me. It's not fair to Scotland to make their independence decisions from the outside and it's also not fair to the rest of the union to saddle us with the Tories.

While I broadly agree they'd win far more friends up here by taking a less hostile line towards the pro-indy lobby (not all of who are nationalists). The one thing people hate up here is the the idea that England is more important so whatever we want we have to just suck it up because it might make things harder down there. There's an implicit message of 'our needs are more important than yours' in that, and a perception of that attitude is what a lot of Nat support is built on. Accepting that Scotland has the right to hold referendums on its future at it's own leisure would do more to ensure any such referendum failed in the future than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I consider myself European to the point that I would definitely buy this shirt if it wasnt so hideously expensive and a brand name:

https://www.nn07.com/tshirts/black-ethan-print-tee-3208.html