Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This show is like that feeling you get when you're really tired and all your muscles tighten up and you feel really weirdly uncomfortable.

I don't understand why I'm still watching.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

STAC Goat posted:

This show is like that feeling you get when you're really tired and all your muscles tighten up and you feel really weirdly uncomfortable.

I don't understand why I'm still watching.

You're in it for Tim Tebow!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"I pick the water challenge."
"Are you a good swimmer?"
"Nah, I'm just gambling that the genetic freak you paid to hunt me can't swim."

I am not the audience for "root for the shark".

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Forty Two THOUSAND gallons of water!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay I was wondering why this water challenge was here all the sudden, didn't know they picked them themselves. Wouldn't being wet just make your other challenges harder? Also isn't swimming way more intensive exercise than hopping around?

Does everyone zip line at the same speed, they keep trying to make us think it's a really contentious part. This wasn't something I need to watch again.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 28, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TBH I couldn't get past Tim Tebow so I gave up pretty quick. Pretty mind boggling. Pretty sure Lebron James could hold the show down better than that loving okay if he kneels moron.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, back to the good game show. Was it just me or was EVERY ONE an idiot this week?

Except maybe Devins and David. I guess I could nitpick that they should have been more proactive in trying to wrangle stragglers but (a) we don't really know if they were, (b) they weren't the ones with idols who could make something screwy happen, and (c) Wentworth and Lauren throwing them under the bus probably torpedoed that as an option.

I really think the show underplayed that the Kama 6 blindsided Aurora. I mean, I know she feels like a NPC but still.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I don't think the Kama people were stupid to vote Joe out. He's ostensibly "with them," but they already showed him scheming with Wentworth and I think he's got much more reason to be loyal to The Returnees than the tribe that already showed they're willing to burn returnees the first chance you get. Also, people kind of mock the idea of Joe winning all the tribal immunities, but if you watched the tribal immunities first-hand...would you really rule it out?

Re: Kelley, I assume she thought her bridges were already burned with David/Rick and that it was better to try to buy time for the majority alliance to crumble. I can see how it'd seem easier to try to cockroach along waiting for an opening than it would be to assemble a group to immediately take out the eight-person majority tribe, especially when the latter scenario demands working with one dude you betrayed and another you already voted out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I totally get that Joe is A target. But if you have to blindside Aurora to do it? And if Wentworth and Lauren are offering up a sacrificial lamb? I suppose Kama might have been weary of Lesu setting them up and/or might have thought they could just poison Devins and David from working with the other three. And yeah, Joe wasn't REALLY with Kama but he wasn't with that plurality of Lesu either. Survivor is numbers. I could have seen targeting Wentworth or Lauren/Wardog but making Joe the priority just feels like them getting ahead of themselves. I know "too soon" is mocked (usually rightfully so) but Survivor is often about timing.

Maybe a lot happened with Lesu that we didn't see but Wentworth and Lauren immediately tossing Devins under the bus just felt like the classic "anyone but me" defeating play. Maybe Kama will explode and it will work out, or maybe Wentworth and Lauren can make magic with the idols. But its passive play that offers up numbers to people who already have them. I just think Wentworth and Lauren probably feel empowered by the idols and aren't doing the "but you need the numbers after a big idol play" math. I fear they're just going to save them for big dramatic tribals and then go home the next week.

I don't really know which way this is going to go so its not a case of me upset about the direction of things. And I'm not sure I even have a rooting interest amongst this bunch. It just seems like everyone's being self destructive.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, back to the good game show. Was it just me or was EVERY ONE an idiot this week?

Except maybe Devins and David. I guess I could nitpick that they should have been more proactive in trying to wrangle stragglers but (a) we don't really know if they were, (b) they weren't the ones with idols who could make something screwy happen, and (c) Wentworth and Lauren throwing them under the bus probably torpedoed that as an option.

I really think the show underplayed that the Kama 6 blindsided Aurora. I mean, I know she feels like a NPC but still.

I'm with you. Kelley handed the Kama 6 victory on a silver platter by selling out Devens so quickly and the Kama 6 completely threw it away. Everyone not in the Kama 6 was, against all logic, willing to work with them and the Kama 6 lied to literally all of them for no good reason.

If the other six can get on the same page (and that should be plausible since all 6 were blindsided, just in different ways) they can get it to 6-6 and also have 3 idols between the six of them. If they just play all 3 idols they have a 50% shot of getting one of the Kama 6 out on a 6-0 vote, and if they misplay them then (depending on who has the immunity necklace) they'll either have a 4/6 or 5/6 shot of surviving the rock draw in tact. Doing a bit of WarDog math, if they do get on the same page and play all 3 idols then there's a ~90% chance someone in the Kama 6 goes out next week.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mancalamania posted:

Everyone not in the Kama 6 was, against all logic, willing to work with them and the Kama 6 lied to literally all of them for no good reason.

I think that's really my hangup. It just rubs me wrong when players unnecessarily lie, blindside, and betray people. Not from a moral or ethical perspective but from a simple "if you lied to me this time why wouldn't you lie to me later?" sense.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

lmao the first boot is gonna be on the jury

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mancalamania posted:

I'm with you. Kelley handed the Kama 6 victory on a silver platter by selling out Devens so quickly and the Kama 6 completely threw it away. Everyone not in the Kama 6 was, against all logic, willing to work with them and the Kama 6 lied to literally all of them for no good reason.

If the other six can get on the same page (and that should be plausible since all 6 were blindsided, just in different ways) they can get it to 6-6 and also have 3 idols between the six of them. If they just play all 3 idols they have a 50% shot of getting one of the Kama 6 out on a 6-0 vote, and if they misplay them then (depending on who has the immunity necklace) they'll either have a 4/6 or 5/6 shot of surviving the rock draw in tact. Doing a bit of WarDog math, if they do get on the same page and play all 3 idols then there's a ~90% chance someone in the Kama 6 goes out next week.

Yeah, but that requires the other six to get on the same page for even a week which seems unlikely since Kelly/Lauren/Wardog seemingly have no desire to work with with Devens and only slightly interested in working with David.

It will be interesting to see which way Aurora goes after this tribal. She could team with with Devens/David and form a threesome opposite of Kelly/Lauren/Wardog group.

Plus, I'm not sure how long the Kama 6 is going to hold together. After all, Ron is a douche so there is bound to be some friction. It seems like the subgroups inside the Kama six are basically divided by gender.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

mancalamania posted:

I mean the Kama 6 didn't really lie to David/Devens since it seemed like their promise was only 'Neither of you will be going home tonight, just vote the way we say.'

I guess maybe the vote burns David a little bit if it comes out he was the second vote for Kelly, but he was kind of on the outs of that Kelly/Lauren/Wardog group anyway and if nobody had rejoined the game I'm guessing they would have been throwing David under the bus this tribal.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm definitely skeptical that the non-Kama 6 can get their poo poo together and work together after this week, but if they hadn't blindsided Joe/Aurora it would theoretically be 4-5, not 6 (depending on where you put Joe, and assuming you can keep Aurora on the team). And they'd still have had Lesu split and shooting at each other almost of their own volition. It just seems like better math.

And ok, maybe you didn't strictly lie to David and Devins but you didn't trust them either. And they still saw you lie to everyone else including some of your own allies. And you told those people to vote for David and Devins, which isn't exactly a trust builder.

It just seems very, very messy for such borderline numbers.

And yeah, I don't know if the Kama 6 will hold. Ron and Victoria both seem like potential problems and who knows who the other four even are? They could all be evil schemers for all we know. I could easily see a path for Lesu to magoo through this especially with all those idols. All things are possible when so many people are playing kind of dumb.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I think that's really my hangup. It just rubs me wrong when players unnecessarily lie, blindside, and betray people. Not from a moral or ethical perspective but from a simple "if you lied to me this time why wouldn't you lie to me later?" sense.

Years of pushing Russel’s garbage socially inept gameplay led to a whole generation of new survivor players who think it’s the right way to make moves.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Maybe Kelley Wentworth is playing the galaxy brain chess of a 3x returning player that a pleb like me couldn't fathom, but I really have no clue what the gently caress she was doing tonight. To casually throw two entrenched allies under the bus (which, like Julie said, was a terrible signal to send to a group of potential allies you haven't even met yet) instead of trying to publicly rally support around an obvious vote (Joe) while privately looking for ways to unite Lessu and the Kama outcasts (which she knew about thanks to Joe) was just bad gameplay.

But I guess at least she had -a- plan. Was Joe even trying tonight? Knowing his peripheral positioning within his own tribe, he had no business playing such a complacent game, following an immunity loss no less. He's such an underwhelming returnee.

I don't fault the Kama 6 so much for blindsiding Joe and not looping in people outside the core alliance. He's obviously a huge immunity threat, and the risk of having Aurora or David/Devins use that information to organize a counter-move against the 6 was real. I think they played it well.

This season is developing into a paradigmatic example of why these mixed returnee seasons tend to suck. New players either fawn over the returnees or get spooked and try to get them out ASAP. It makes for a really inorganic social world.

As for the preview, one of the invisible cast members is totally gonna get medivac'ed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Joe only knows how to play one way. Win challenges until you get voted out. They're not showing us his strategy and gameplay because there is nothing to show.

Kelley didn't play her idol despite not knowing the real plan. As far as Lesu knew, they were all voting for each other and Kama was deciding the boot. Mind boggling.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

TMMadman posted:

I mean the Kama 6 didn't really lie to David/Devens since it seemed like their promise was only 'Neither of you will be going home tonight, just vote the way we say.'

I guess maybe the vote burns David a little bit if it comes out he was the second vote for Kelly, but he was kind of on the outs of that Kelly/Lauren/Wardog group anyway and if nobody had rejoined the game I'm guessing they would have been throwing David under the bus this tribal.

Pretty sure those 3 voted for David tonight so that alliance is done anyways.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I remember once reading about Pearl Islands: 'Morgan are the underdogs, but they suck and are so miserable that everyone rooted for Drake anyway'. The Kama 6 are not some bundle of charisma but Lesu sucks so much that even though they are the underdogs I still want them to get voted out anyway. Such incompetent performance and gameplay all season long doesn't deserve to be rewarded

I blame Kelley and Lauren for throwing Devons under the bus asap. No idea what they were thinking.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They shouldn't have booted Chris.

The teams were stacked anyway. They should have known they needed to gimp Joe's team. Production knew exactly what would happen here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm starting to think the reason Wentworth has spent her entire Survivor career playing from the bottom is because she's actually just bad at Survivor. She (and David) got served a complete lay-up here and they totally whiffed it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

They shouldn't have booted Chris.

The teams were stacked anyway. They should have known they needed to gimp Joe's team. Production knew exactly what would happen here.

If Chris was still in the game, he'd be a much easier target than Rick.

I'd actually have preferred Chris to have gotten back in the game, because it was obvious Rick was gonna go back to David. With Chris I'd have had no idea who he'd give the half of the idol to. Hell, who would Wendy have given it to?

Also, I can see arguments for voting either Kelley or Joe out. Kelley because she's super smart and scrappy and she will fight every inch before she goes out, and she'll fight harder the longer she's in the game. Joe because... well, send him out to Extinction early so he'll have longer to weaken himself, because he's such a challenge beast that you want him to be as weak as possible for the re-entry challenge.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

I'm starting to think the reason Wentworth has spent her entire Survivor career playing from the bottom is because she's actually just bad at Survivor. She (and David) got served a complete lay-up here and they totally whiffed it.

Yes they keep targeting each other when they could have (and should have) put together an alliance: Wentworth, Lauren, Wardog, Dave, returner Devons. Try to pull in Joe and Aurora to give them the majority.

Now I'm hoping the other 2 returning players are picked off quickly. Some time on Extinction Island would further enhance their game experience and give them time to reflect on what went wrong.

Token Female
Apr 2, 2007

If I hear the music...

Zesty posted:

Joe only knows how to play one way. Win challenges until you get voted out. They're not showing us his strategy and gameplay because there is nothing to show.

Over three seasons, Joe has survived 4 votes where he wasn't immune. Only one of them was post merge.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Come on God...ah, screw it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rarity posted:

The only thing I can think of is that at the end of Kelley's conversation with Joe, he told her "nah sorry I'm not flipping, I just can't, I want to work with you but I'm voting with Kama this vote" and the editors just didn't want to show it. Would justify a lot of what Kelley did after that

nerox
May 20, 2001
I watched Survivor late last night and am real confused why they added a new contestant, Aurora, at the merge.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I have to say voting Joe out was a pretty poor decision though. The players now know about Extinction Island, so they know blindsiding a challenge threat isn't even necessarily taking them out of the game. Therefore they should be prioritizing keeping strong numbers well above targeting challenge threats, yet voting out Joe and blindsiding Aurora does the opposite. I have to wonder if this is the beginning of the end for that crew.

nerox posted:

I watched Survivor late last night and am real confused why they added a new contestant, Aurora, at the merge.
Aurora still is pretty anonymous even after last night, although we knew that for some reason she was a fellow outcast at Kama with Joe and Aubry. I still think Gavin and Eric are the most invisible, just completely unshown. I just shocked myself by even knowing Eric's name.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I also really hope that Reem somehow gets to final tribal (at the last possible place someone can come back) and wins cause that is the result a partial returnee season deserves. Also Reem would be a trainwreck in final tribal.

Reem's Survivor Profile posted:

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
My social game is amazing and although I am honest to a fault, I know when to chill.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Fast Luck posted:

The only thing I can think of is that at the end of Kelley's conversation with Joe, he told her "nah sorry I'm not flipping, I just can't, I want to work with you but I'm voting with Kama this vote" and the editors just didn't want to show it. Would justify a lot of what Kelley did after that

The fact we gotta ascribe fanfic motives to Kelley shows that the editing of the show was bad. Why did we have a kumbaya TC when Rick was voted out and now Kelley and Lauren are so dead set on getting him out instead of working with him. I'm confused.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
...because clearly the seven people at the last TC before merge tried to make a deal? Which is why Wendy was offered up?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Y'know, at first I didn't have a problem with the EoE inhabitants being on the jury, but here's one problem I just thought of:

Now they have something to look forward to, and that disincentives quitting.

Before, the issue with EoE is that you had no idea what was going on. You'd be there for days, not knowing what was happening, when you were given the chance to fight, etc.

Now, it's just 'rougher Ponderosa, but we know we'll get to sit in at TC every few days to alleviate boredom'.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

It is pretty funny that instead of partying and making fun videos at Ponderosa you have to lay on a beach for weeks with no food

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JesusSinfulHands posted:

The fact we gotta ascribe fanfic motives to Kelley shows that the editing of the show was bad. Why did we have a kumbaya TC when Rick was voted out and now Kelley and Lauren are so dead set on getting him out instead of working with him. I'm confused.

I mean, it could be bad editing but the simpler explanation seems to be that they're idiots who were playing a passive "anyone but me" game. Everyone else on the tribe seemed as surprised and put off by it as we were. Not only were Davjd and Devins confused but it actively sketched out Kama. Even Victoria, and she's been talking real tough about how cutthroat she is.

Until we learn otherwise I'm going with "Wentworth is following old patterns and playing from the bottom -enamored with her idol and the possibility of a dramatic moment - and the other two are following her lead". Wentworth is clever and snarky and all but she's never actually shown an acumen for winning. Fishbauch was even lightly throwing shade at her last night that she was hard to game with. She might just strive being the contrarian.

Vernacular posted:

But I guess at least she had -a- plan. Was Joe even trying tonight? Knowing his peripheral positioning within his own tribe, he had no business playing such a complacent game, following an immunity loss no less. He's such an underwhelming returnee.

In minor defense of Joe he's obviously tried to make ground with Kama and they've either iced him out or placated him like Ron. I mean, of course he should have done more. He probably should have grabbed Aurora and told Lesu they were on the bottom and ready to flip. But to some extent I'm willing to grant him the same thing j grant David - that Wentworth and Co were sabotaging that enough to make it untenable to even try. It just feels like there isn't much Joe really could have done there and his plan seemed to be to just play passive and hope they overlook him.

That was dumb and he should have done more. But it's basically what everyone did and at least he and Aurora were the only ones had even a minor reasonably expectation that Kama might be loyal to them.

I don't know. Joe hosed up. But I feel like he at least didn't actively sabotage to his own game unlike Wentworth and Co.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I think Kelley was going to be a potential target no matter what, as a returnee and a member of the minority tribe.

At that point, pivoting to "anybody but me" is a perfectly valid strategy, given a dude she just voted out had reentered the game. Rick could have very easily had the same "anybody but me" strategy and swung to Kama to avoid going right back out.

Do you really think Rick and David would have scrambled to save Kelley if the majority approached them right after the merge feast and told them they're safe, but she's the first boot? Given the recent history of the game, I think it's a totally understandable play to assume there's not going to be a straight-up Pagonging and to shift into self-preservation mode if you're in a bad spot at the merge.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I think I figured out why I'm okay with this season, despite it being mediocre - No one is irritating enough that I want to quit watching. Keith might have gotten there, but he left on his own! Bye Keith!

The "Tim Tebow pretends to be excited" show was very, very boring.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So according to exit press, one minor thing that wasn't shown for the EoE challenge is that they had two balls and had to sink both into the maze; Wendy sunk one and I imagine Chris did too.

I'm... not sure who I'm rooting for of the people still left in the game. Lauren or Victoria, I guess. I don't think any of the guys left in the game are interesting enough for me to get behind as a winner just yet.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't blame Joe for losing his original Kama tribe... Those guys just gelled together and had no time for their returnees. I do blame Joe for not immediately flipping at merge. He knew he was being iced out and he knew Aubry had been voted out last vote. He probably could've even squeezed a deal with Kelley/Lauren for them to keep him longer than David/Devins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

So according to exit press, one minor thing that wasn't shown for the EoE challenge is that they had two balls and had to sink both into the maze; Wendy sunk one and I imagine Chris did too.

I'm... not sure who I'm rooting for of the people still left in the game. Lauren or Victoria, I guess. I don't think any of the guys left in the game are interesting enough for me to get behind as a winner just yet.

It actually was sort of shown. When they opened up the case you could see it contained two balls and then when Devens won you could see that there was already a ball that had gone through the hole.