Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Tenebrais posted:

I kind of wish there was a space elevator load to do for T7 even if it doesn't actually unlock anything. Just to have something to gear my factory towards and establish a sort of end state; a goal that isn't just self-imposed. You still need to make a load of computers, heavy frames and motors for the research but it doesn't quite feel the same when you have to load it up by hand.

You can use the wiki to figure out what the next tier is: https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Space_Elevator#Upgrades
1000 Heavy Modular Frame
1000 Computer
1000 Motor
Tiers 7 and 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Fishstick posted:

They could add throughput objectives as wel. Input x widgets / minute into the space elevator for 10 minutes to get next tier.

Yeah but without the time limit. It should be just general throughput requirements not count requirements

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Phobeste posted:

Yeah but without the time limit. It should be just general throughput requirements not count requirements

This doesn't make sense, you have to have a time window for throughput requirements to work. If you just have to hit it once then you can put a single stack of items in a storage container and belt from that to the elevator and you're done. Or are you suggesting that you have to maintain the throughput forever, in which case what do you do if throughput falls below that level, do you take things the player has already unlocked away from them?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well, however you measure it, time limit or not, a one-time throughput requirement will always be bypassable by just building a giant crate and waiting a few hours for it to fill up, and then dribbling it out at the appropriate rate to meet the challenge.

In other words it'll never work as a one-time bonus. You might as well just ask for the stacks up front.

Now if there was some sort of sustained bonus- "This good bonus thing only works so long as we're getting 10 computers a minute"- that might work. I do want there to be throughput bonuses. Those would be a great way to focus everything else in an endgame situation.

That said, I also kind of like this game better than Factorio precisely because throughput isn't the only goal. You can make a factory that barely produces something and then spend hours just exploring the world and come back and feel like you did good when you've got a few stacks of supercomputers or whatever.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

nielsm posted:

The space elevator def. needs higher input requirements. I hand crafted all the final products for all the currently available tiers, only the intermediates being automated. I want the next stage to be something like 5000 computers and 10,000 heavy modular frames.

I would seriously rather not have to make 5000 computers.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

pokie posted:

I would seriously rather not have to make 5000 computers.

Third World Apple Product Factory Simulator just doesn't have the same ring does it

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mustache Ride posted:

You can use the wiki to figure out what the next tier is: https://satisfactory.gamepedia.com/Space_Elevator#Upgrades
1000 Heavy Modular Frame
1000 Computer
1000 Motor
Tiers 7 and 8

It's a safe bet any update that unlocks these will rebalance the recipes too.

BTW I found a super handy tool for calculating machine counts, throughput limits, power, and recipe comparisons: https://satisfactory.greeny.dev/calculator

I've decided my end goal will be to have 3 machines making motors at 100%, 5 making heavy modular frames, 1.9 making supercomputers, and some leftover encased steel beams. This ought to consume exactly 1 mk4 belt of crude, 2 of coal, 3 of limestone, 1.5 of quickwire, and 3 of iron ingots, consuming 4.3GW :shepface:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Eiba posted:

Well, however you measure it, time limit or not, a one-time throughput requirement will always be bypassable by just building a giant crate and waiting a few hours for it to fill up, and then dribbling it out at the appropriate rate to meet the challenge.

In other words it'll never work as a one-time bonus. You might as well just ask for the stacks up front.

Now if there was some sort of sustained bonus- "This good bonus thing only works so long as we're getting 10 computers a minute"- that might work. I do want there to be throughput bonuses. Those would be a great way to focus everything else in an endgame situation.

That said, I also kind of like this game better than Factorio precisely because throughput isn't the only goal. You can make a factory that barely produces something and then spend hours just exploring the world and come back and feel like you did good when you've got a few stacks of supercomputers or whatever.

Factory Town does something like this. Houses consume goods and give coins (which are effectively tech progression and are continuously consumed by high tech processes), as well as a temporary 1% global production bonus per goods category satisfied, with more complex goods giving a longer lasting bonus. It's a really good system that encourages automation by requiring goods to be consumed continually.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It's a safe bet any update that unlocks these will rebalance the recipes too.

BTW I found a super handy tool for calculating machine counts, throughput limits, power, and recipe comparisons: https://satisfactory.greeny.dev/calculator

I've decided my end goal will be to have 3 machines making motors at 100%, 5 making heavy modular frames, 1.9 making supercomputers, and some leftover encased steel beams. This ought to consume exactly 1 mk4 belt of crude, 2 of coal, 3 of limestone, 1.5 of quickwire, and 3 of iron ingots, consuming 4.3GW :shepface:

Thanks for mathing this out. I am a bit lazy about it, so that's nice to know.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Why are you guys bothering with walls in your factory? Just have everything float in mid-air all scifi like.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ymgve posted:

Why are you guys bothering with walls in your factory? Just have everything float in mid-air all scifi like.

Apparently the game doesn't render machines behind walls, so it can help performance problems for large factories.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Ok, that's a great reason. But I wonder how that works if you have walls with holes for conveyor belts.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

ymgve posted:

Ok, that's a great reason. But I wonder how that works if you have walls with holes for conveyor belts.

Occlusion Culling's a method in games where anything you can't see is legitimately not rendered, so anything you're not seeing through that window is invisible:

Also conveyors appear to have slightly more 'give' when snapping to windows, parallel wall mounts and floor mounts, and it's a pretty good way to decrease the time you spend trying to snap something 'just right'. But yea I had the same idea and started with floating skyfactories (and still rely on those tricks as necessary)

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Clipping is evil and all, but am I crazy thinking both of these look actually somewhat natural if you pretend they're supposed to be extensions from the splitters?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Slickdrac posted:

Clipping is evil and all, but am I crazy thinking both of these look actually somewhat natural if you pretend they're supposed to be extensions from the splitters?

Honestly that looks great, and I think everyone is wishing for a way to stack things on splitters.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Like this storage space?

Fun fact, you can place power poles on top of walls, conveyor poles, and lots of other stuff. Just gotta use the power cable and use that to place a pole, instead of trying to build a pole first.

Cable and conveyor collision seems to work similarly in that the order of placing matters whether or not you'll get clipping warnings.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Also for you aesthetic folks:
A power pole is the perfect height that if you make a conveyor wall as the second level of a two high wall, you can pass the cable through it without it clipping.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've been doing doorways, so you can fit them in weird wire angles.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Played this all weekend. Built out organically at first up to tier 4, then when the demands got higher I flipped up to a factory floor and started doing this huge bus, 5 conveyor mounts wide and 3 tall.

Need a way to
- reverse conveyors in place
- flip splitters in place
- raise the height of conveyors without placing poles first

Dream update would be:
- I want mines to be more similar to real life surface mining operations. They would start as we see them, but as time goes on they need to dig deeper and therefore need more parts to support that operation. The larger holes would eventually blast the pristine landscape, which would be great

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Mining drills have a mining pipe thing as part of their animation. I've been wondering what if the devs plan to have you supply each miner with a supply of mining pipe eventually. I'm assuming it's a path for the ore and not the drill head.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I'd love to be able to place walls without plonking down a foundation first. Unless theres a way to sink/raise foundations that I havent found.

Also seconding the need for templates/blueprints you can save, maybe as some later upgrade.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't blueprints kind of trivialize things? Make one machine with inputs and output and splitters. Hold ctrl + paste and run in a cardinal direction. Then do it again for your row, then do it again for your floor.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously you have to balance the tedium of repetition too. I'm not sure where the correct breakpoint is actually.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Wouldn't blueprints kind of trivialize things? Make one machine with inputs and output and splitters. Hold ctrl + paste and run in a cardinal direction. Then do it again for your row, then do it again for your floor.

It would remove the part where you do the same thing over and over again and let you focus on the part where you design novel things.

I don't think this is a game about dragging connections between arrays of splitters and mergers or clicking on power poles.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I could live without blueprints/copy-paste/whatever mass construction technique in this game but it BADLY needs some kind of bulk demolition tool.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I don't think so, the fun is designing automation and/or structures, not actually placing down each individual thing. I don't want this game to be Factorio, but it's similar enough that there are a lot of very valuable lessons to be learned, and blueprints in that game make it way more fun and way less tedious.

Jamsque posted:

I could live without blueprints/copy-paste/whatever mass construction technique in this game but it BADLY needs some kind of bulk demolition tool.

Definitely. This would make rebuilding stuff a lot more fun, right now it takes longer to tear stuff down than it does to build it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I would love blueprints just so I could make an optimum 8-smelter mk3 belt array and just stamp them down. As it is right now, I need 8+16+32 ish clicks for each, plus ctrl-placement. 8 for the smelters, 14-16 merge/splitters, 30-32ish belts. plus power poles.. 2 caterium poles, 9+1 wires. so 70 clicks ish.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ambaire posted:

I would love blueprints just so I could make an optimum 8-smelter mk3 belt array and just stamp them down. As it is right now, I need 8+16+32 ish clicks for each, plus ctrl-placement. 8 for the smelters, 14-16 merge/splitters, 30-32ish belts. plus power poles.. 2 caterium poles, 9+1 wires. so 70 clicks ish.

Some form of blueprint and automated placement system is a big missing feature. Every time I look at tearing down my base to build it better I just decide I can't be bothered.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

What even is this? :psyduck: I've found two of them.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What even is this? :psyduck: I've found two of them.

A spider when you've got arachnophobia mode turned on.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I've just about figured out how to cram a set of 4 constructors into a 4x4 set of foundation blocks (with splitters dividing the original input stream into 4, so 60/min becomes 4x 15/min inputs, and then recombining it after). Why most of the machines are anything other than 8x8 is completely beyond me.

To expand that setup once you're up to 120/min belts you just copy it right next to itself and pre-split the 120/min stream into 2x 60/min. And again at 240.

If I can come up with an aesthetically pleasing and compact resource elevator I might build a 4x4 tower to the heavens using this.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

uPen posted:

Ohhhhh... That's what it does.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

MarquiseMindfang posted:

If I can come up with an aesthetically pleasing and compact resource elevator I might build a 4x4 tower to the heavens using this.

This is the best I've come up with. Fits in 1x2 foundation and can move 4 belts. 1x3 will do 8 belts, 1x4 is 12 belts. 1x5 hits belt length limit and can only pass 14 belts.

While I love spaghetti, I really need to redo my factory. Those stackable belt rails are amazing

Edit: I really wish this had a quick way to dismantle a whole floor of machinery. Hell, I don't even care if I get the resources back.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 28, 2019

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

4 stackable poles built on a 2m ramp so you have very small changes in altitude between them, and with some finagling you can make a complete corkscrew. Result: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/RareLongDegus-mobile.mp4

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

uPen posted:

Speaking of that mode, don't have it on in Multiplayer unless you enjoy some chaos. If anyone has it enabled, it can make the spiders become invisible and almost entirely impossible to hit.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

On the blueprints subject, is there a good method for mass-selecting objects in a 3D space?

Not in Satisfactory, I mean in UI design generally. It would be an important part of any blueprint or deconstruction system.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Space engineers and From the Depths do it pretty well, they both let you set a 3D-selection box of configurable x/y/z size, and everything in it becomes part of the template.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I found out that it's possible to use living whale creatures as jump pads. You don't have to kill them.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tenebrais posted:

On the blueprints subject, is there a good method for mass-selecting objects in a 3D space?

Not in Satisfactory, I mean in UI design generally. It would be an important part of any blueprint or deconstruction system.

Racking my brains to think of how I'd do this in Blueprint. There probably is a way involving 1x1 collision volumes and modifying their X and Y scale based on current cursor position distance from the original click, and then the Z scale separately the way it works for conveyor poles now.

Then maybe a final check-over where you can additionally select/deselect individual objects before finalising.

I'd have to play around to be sure but something like that is doable, certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Would like to see jump pads (and landers?) use power a bit differently. Now, they seem to draw power constantly. Would really like to see jump pads have a "battery" so they don't always draw power and same with landers OR they draw a lot less power.

This may not be needed with something like solar panels.

Point is I'd want to set up a network of jump pad/landers for travel but it's not practical to do so due to power requirements. Really wasted potential, I feel.