Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Stringent posted:

it's almost like ppl have no concept of the fact that racism was created in the 19th century to allay economic anxiety

more like the seventeenth century at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

lampey posted:

this is not even close to true. could you explain why you believe this, or what you mean?

no please don't do this

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

drat we live in a society

lmao

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i'm learning so many history-sounding statements from this topic
is this what it would be like to hear historians talk about computers?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
at the absolute very least, codified racism was introduced in the virginia slave codes of 1705 in response to bacons rebellion in 1676, a united uprising of white indentured servants, african slaves and native americans against the wealthy landowners.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

King Solomon to Bilqis, the Queen of Sheba, circa 1000 BC: "you are beautiful but black, if you were light of skin there would be no stars brighter"

Stringent: it's some kind of delightful metaphor

discrimination along ethnic lines was nonexistent before the 19th century, when capitalists invented the concept of race.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
yup the virginia colonists were notably outspoken and explicit in their absolute race-hatred!

colonists from elsewhere in america, as well as visitors from the british isles or the rest of europe and european colonies, would frequently comment on it. even those who themselves looked down on blacks/natives/etc would find the level of contempt and hatred the virginians displayed quite surprising

(note that within these contexts, the virginians would also be understood to be those residing in a lot of what is maryland these days, and the lower parts of delaware.)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've read that american chattel slavery was uniquely hosed up in how incredibly racist and also abusive it was.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

last time i was in delaware i saw a mural on the side of a gas station that had three fetuses in one womb bubble (one pink, one yellow, and one brown, lot to think about there) and it said UNBORN BABIES FOR TRUMP

100% serious

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

infernal machines posted:

i've read that american chattel slavery was uniquely hosed up in how incredibly racist and also abusive it was.

yes, but with the provision that that means also the british colonies in the carribbean, and the french in haiti etc. they all copied off of each other as far as those things go

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Stringent posted:

alright look dumbass, until the 19th century black slaves and white indentured servants in the US were legally indistinguishable. read some loving history, dipshit.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this is straight up out of Jim Goad type books. I think I read this exact argument in Redneck Manifesto when I was like 15.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

my bitter bi rival posted:

this is straight up out of Jim Goad type books. I think I read this exact argument in Redneck Manifesto when I was like 15.

ah yes, the liberal arts

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

anyways, i agree that the irish are the most historically maligned group in america, which is why i think its important for reparations to make specific inclusions for every boston cop named sully with a flogging molly tattoo

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
some people will stay up all night arguing gps at the north pole, some people will stay up all night arguing that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

yes, but with the provision that that means also the british colonies in the carribbean, and the french in haiti etc. they all copied off of each other as far as those things go

yeah, in this case i meant american in terms of the broader americas rather than usa.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

my bitter bi rival posted:

anyways, i agree that the irish are the most historically maligned group in america, which is why i think its important for reparations to make specific inclusions for every boston cop named sully with a flogging molly tattoo
but what about the ones with dropkick murphy tattoos? :ohdear:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Stringent posted:

thank you

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
ice cream sandwich

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stringent posted:

alright look dumbass, until the 19th century black slaves and white indentured servants in the US were legally indistinguishable. read some loving history, dipshit.

look down, look down
you'll always be a slave
look down, look down
you're posting in your grave

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
great job team, kudos all around really

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

no, the computer is not a race

They're a race condition to the bottom

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I just learned the barista and kitchen staff at my google office are gonna unionize and it made my day.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

jesus loving christ "guys just listen to this one podcast it'll explain that white people are the real enslaved race"

(revolutions is a really good podcast and i am really mad loving stringent's "irish slaves" poo poo is gonna enter my mind next time i listen to it loving hell)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

lmfao "just google white slavery, the real slaves are me having to work a 9-5"

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Cool thread

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

catching up now and

overpaid typists with hot takes on the value of an english degree and what racism really is, is techbubble as gently caress

lmfao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

on second thought i’m skipping all that bullshit

how about those tech ipos, huh?!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rex-Goliath posted:

on second thought i’m skipping all that bullshit

how about those tech ipos, huh?!

it's all bullshit

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what on earth is uber going to do when people expect them to actually turn a profit?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what on earth is uber going to do when people expect them to actually turn a profit?

uber is an excellent investment so long as you're not the one holding the bag at the end.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
wonder what the premium is gonna be on puts, lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just look at how long its taking tesla to collapse. the market can remain irrational long, long after you're insolvent

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
shorting for sure would be a fool's game

puts are limited-downside though

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

in the same way that google is an advertising/data gathering firm that has a search tool to help gather that data and show those ads, uber is a consulting firm/lobbying org whose goal is to reshape labor laws in america and the driving thing is incidental except for being the front on which they're waging that battle. investors may be keen to keep the jitney service afloat in order to see their long game through.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

perish

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
gas this fuckin' thread h0ly poo poo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007