Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Craig K posted:

Cradling richard garfield in my arms, that these vicious blows fall upon my body rather than his

netrunner did nothing wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Why didn't they make the game good instead? That's what I would have done.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Phenotype posted:

Why didn't they make the game good instead? That's what I would have done.

Actually they always wanted it to be niche so they succeeded

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I've been looking to diversify my investment portfolio recently. I've selected a few high yield ETFs that look very promising and I think I'm also going to put some cash into an emerging markets mutual fund. My question is, how much equity should I put into Axecoin?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Happylisk posted:

I've been looking to diversify my investment portfolio recently. I've selected a few high yield ETFs that look very promising and I think I'm also going to put some cash into an emerging markets mutual fund. My question is, how much equity should I put into Axecoin?

Goons also poo poo on bitcoin when it cost pennies so clearly you should invest all of it.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
ust posting so i can click on my question mark to find the funny post i made

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Normal Adult Human posted:

I went ahead and highlighted the dead space in the landing page for you. its the red part.

edit: after further investigation, the CTA advertisement and "play artifact" take you to the same place.

here it is. ty.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

r/artifact upvoting anything to give them hope at this point, even loving 4chan posts

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Minrad posted:

r/artifact upvoting anything to give them hope at this point, even loving 4chan posts

What was the point of the Secret Shop anyways? "Here's some items you probably didn't want."

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Pigbuster posted:

Goons also poo poo on bitcoin when it cost pennies so clearly you should invest all of it.

Bitcoin was a case of people correctly recognizing it as a horribly planned out and bad idea, but incorrectly assuming that would stop people from buying in.

Bitcoin was poo poo, but people overestimated the intelligence of the public. Myself included, I kinda wish instead of reading up on it that I had just bought into the hype. Oh well, time to invest in the new stupid looking investment opportunity before it takes off, Juicero!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Bitcoin was a case of people correctly recognizing it as a horribly planned out and bad idea, but incorrectly assuming that would stop people from buying in.

Bitcoin was poo poo, but people overestimated the intelligence of the public. Myself included, I kinda wish instead of reading up on it that I had just bought into the hype. Oh well, time to invest in the new stupid looking investment opportunity before it takes off, Juicero!

in gambling terms its like watching some psycho who only ever bets on the the same number on the roulette table walk away with millions and then feel dumb because you doubted his system

plus even if you bought in early on when bitcoins were basically free the odds that your wallet would survive through all the scams, market and exchange collapses, and other shenanigans for the decade or so it took for bitcoin to blow up are pretty small

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Wheeee posted:

Nah. I entertained the same idea as well but think about it: the only way you can make a 'good' investment is by accurately recognizing an undervalued asset and identifying a corresponding price at which it's overvalued and you should sell it. Even if you wanted to gamble with it- when would you have sold? Keep in mind you still correctly recognize that 'worthless' is the proper value so at any point you buy.... when do you sell? A dollar is overpriced. Ten dollars is overpriced.

This is what I tell people when they find out that I'd mined bitcoin back when a single machine could still reliably harvest entire blocks on its own and deleted them. Yeah I could be a millionaire by now but- I'd had to have never sold them at any point. I would have sold them at when they hit a dollar. I would have sold them when they hit ten dollars. DEFINITELY would have sold at a hundred.

Also this assumes that you would have successfully navigated the labyrinth of scams and cons involved with actually liquidating them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Rex-Goliath posted:

Nah. I entertained the same idea as well but think about it: the only way you can make a 'good' investment is by accurately recognizing an undervalued asset and identifying a corresponding price at which it's overvalued and you should sell it. Even if you wanted to gamble with it- when would you have sold? Keep in mind you still correctly recognize that 'worthless' is the proper value so at any point you buy.... when do you sell? A dollar is overpriced. Ten dollars is overpriced.

This is what I tell people when they find out that I'd mined bitcoin back when a single machine could still reliably harvest entire blocks on its own and deleted them. Yeah I could be a millionaire by now but- I'd had to have never sold them at any point. I would have sold them at when they hit a dollar. I would have sold them when they hit ten dollars. DEFINITELY would have sold at a hundred.

Also this assumes that you would have successfully navigated the labyrinth of scams and cons involved with actually liquidating them.

This is actually really interesting. I think most people here were probably knowledgeable of bitcoin back when it was first released (mostly in a mocking sort of way), years before the price surge, but the problem back then was that they were really and truly worthless. The only place to actually use them was from some weird dark net weed dealers who were also convinced bitcoin would land them rich. Like, if Steam had accepted bitcoins? Yeah, maybe. The reasons to buy in were so flimsy that it was less about identifying public stupidity and more like being willing to buy into a get-rich-quick pyramid scheme. Even after the huge spike and now drop, I...still don't know a single person with an investment into bitcoins. I would not be surprised to hear about some sort of RICO act, insider trading associated with the abnormal spike in bitcoin.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I would not be surprised to hear about some sort of RICO act, insider trading associated with the abnormal spike in bitcoin.

My bro what if I told you that this is exactly what happened!

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rex-Goliath posted:

My bro what if I told you that this is exactly what happened!

This is my first time hearing about this, though I always suspected that the whole thing was a pump and dump scheme on a massive scale. Got any links with the juicy details?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

AnEdgelord posted:

This is my first time hearing about this, though I always suspected that the whole thing was a pump and dump scheme on a massive scale. Got any links with the juicy details?

Basically some enterprising fellow decided to run their own crypto-currency called 'tether' which was guaranteed to be 1-to-1 exchangeable with US dollars. They then used that to buy up bitcoins which they'd then move to other markets to sell for actual money. For a long time they printed absurd numbers of tether to the point where anyone with two brain cells to rub together knew they couldn't possibly have that much cash on hand. Bitcoiners, however, just remained, 'skeptical'

quote:

Despite the fact that USDT has quickly become the 9th most valuable project in the industry, many remain skeptical about the funds behind the project, as the Tether organization has been slow to procure the documents that show that it holds $2.5+ billion in its reserves. While the Tether organization, which has been linked to Bitfenix’s leadership team, fired its auditors earlier this year, it has since shown some evidence to suggest that there are funds that back 100% of USDT tokens.

Yes you're reading that correctly.

This was when bitcoin was surging through the five figure territory and about three months before it finally peaked at roughly $20k

Well the whole thing ultimately collapsed a little over two years ago and has been stagnant around $4k for a while now. The feds have finally gotten involved and are investigating the guys behind tether

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I mean it was a joke, juicero etc, but lol drat

Now I want to read up on that saga

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Craig K posted:

Cradling richard garfield in my arms, that these vicious blows fall upon my body rather than his

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Kchama posted:

What was the point of the Secret Shop anyways? "Here's some items you probably didn't want."

arbitrary randomness to make the game trigger the part of your brain that sprays the good chemical when you win at gambling

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
seeing what was in the secret shop was probably the only consistently enjoyable part of the game. Of the 3 item shop slots it was the least poorly conceived.

yes, the other 2 slots were somehow more irritating than "literally a random item"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I didn’t mind secret shop, I kind of liked the idea that you could randomly get any one item. In theory it would help against unforseen matchups, since there’s no sidboard or anything in the game. But lol, the game never fleshed out enough to get to the point where you could even go up against a deck you didn’t plan for.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Apparently there was some paid entry Artifact tournament in Denver that was being peddled up until 2 days ago on Reddit. Encouraging people to buy in and travel and plan accommodations. It was gonna happen this weekend.

Today they cancelled it.

Artifact!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

reminder that one beta tester spent two thousand hours - a full work year - playing artifact during beta in order to jump start his career

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having the item deck only affect one of the three things you can buy each turn does undermine that aspect of deck building. Then again all item decks are boring so just getting random poo poo from the secret shop was one of the few things that could inject fun into an artifact game.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I can't believe that they got every single artifact player to post at the same time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I see we're at the bargaining stage now.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Almost all of the 100 most recent posts on that sub are variations of that. Which is nearly half of the current players.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Andrigaar posted:

Almost all of the 100 most recent posts on that sub are variations of that. Which is nearly half of the current players.

So 1/10th of the playerbase then?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
*narrator voice* they abandoned it

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

I clicked on some gigantic effort post which was essentially every batshit defence of the game writ large. My favourite part was how Richard Garfield was working for free now because he was desperate to be a part of something that will inevitably be a huge success once they make a couple of changes.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
artifact fell below 100 players today

rip

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I can't believe that they got every single artifact player to post at the same time.

I can't believe they managed to avoid any overlap in nationalities

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

artifact fell below 100 players today

rip

How many active posters does this thread have? Have we beaten artifact yet?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

True fans will ensure that the name Valve is forever synonymous with Artifact.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Arena got its cosmetics patch so artifact will get it’s within the month right?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

No Wave posted:

True fans will ensure that the name Valve is forever synonymous with Artifact.

Perhaps internet posters with the weirdest axe to grind with Valve will ensure it, lol.

its a card game that was boring and tedious to play and got left in the woods, RIP

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

kater posted:

Arena got its cosmetics patch so artifact will get it’s within the month right?

That would involve them working on a game that is dead and that they have abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

serious q has a game made by a major publisher, especially one with the reputation for quality valve has, ever flopped anywhere near as dramatically as this has?

this is looking like a dud that only valve could pull off