Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The Silver Snail posted:

Reporting in from my daily eshop watch to point out that The Next Penelope is on sale for three dollars. Seems to be Micro Machines style combat racing with a Mega Man style level select/ weapon mechanic? Looked like a good deal to me, I bought it.

Also in eshop news, old rear end original XBOX launch title Cel Damage released on the eshop today? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Cel Damage was on the Gamecube and is excellent multi-player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ausgoons

Yoshi's Crafted World is only $59AUD at JB Hi-Fi between now and Sunday!

oh goddamn it i won't be able to pick it up til next weekend

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Luigi's Mansion from From.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Luigi's Mansion from From.

Now there's a vidcon idea

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Knorth posted:

oh goddamn it i won't be able to pick it up til next weekend

Good news; Amazon AU has it for the same price!

edit:

:siren:EVERYONE:siren:

If you have a Twitch Prime account, you can currently get up to 12 months of Nintendo online free.

If you make an account, you only get three months of Online. If your account is currently older than 60 days, you get the full year.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 29, 2019

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Good news; Amazon AU has it for the same price!

noice

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I’d rather talk about how immoral and disgraceful it is to pirate Amiibo.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ausgoons

Yoshi's Crafted World is only $59AUD at JB Hi-Fi between now and Sunday!
$58! I'm sad because I just spent all my money on bills and can't get it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So what’s the word on Yoshi’s loving Labo?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mega64 posted:

It isn't. What's immoral and disgraceful is locking a unique game mode behind one.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Relevant Tangent posted:

It isn't. What's immoral and disgraceful is locking a unique game mode behind one.
What games do this? Also Wolf Link in BOTW doesn't count because that just a lovely unfinished beta feature that was removed from the original game.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Some people just want to watch the world burn

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Star Fox: Battle for Atlas charges you for extra lives and weapons by selling Arwing Amiibo.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mario Maker. The amiibo that came with some copies unlocked a mushroom that fundamentally changed the gameplay as opposed to the others that were just cosmetic. It was lovely.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I bought the yarn yosh amiibo cause it was very cute

no idea what it does, maybe it turned whatever character you were playing into yarn I'd use it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought three yarn yoshis and turned them into Christmas ornaments

Never found the big Yoshi though

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I don't want an amiibo. If they were actual toys as opposed to statues maybe I'd feel different but honestly it just feels bad to have cool stuff gated behind trash.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Star Fox: Battle for Atlas charges you for extra lives and weapons by selling Arwing Amiibo.

Sounds like something that could poke a some kid's eyes out

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

amiibo are at a really awkward place where if they put too much stuff behind them, people rightfully complain that they're making limited-time, artificially scarce DLC. But if they put too little, people rightfully complain that they're paying extra for a dumb bonus that should have been in the game in the beginning.

I think the only games that got it right were Smash, creating and training a unique AI fighter you could take with you is really cool. But everything else – especially the one time scan like Metroid and Zelda – is really lame.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I haven't played a single game where I felt like I was missing out by not having whatever amiibo content was in the game. Some of the BOTW clothes were cool I guess but it's such a tiny aspect of the game I have a hard time worrying about it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What does Twitch Prime do anyway? Is it just like Youtube premium, no ads?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You get a free sub every month and no ads across the site.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What does Twitch Prime do anyway? Is it just like Youtube premium, no ads?

You also get free games that rotate out periodically like PS+ and you can sub to a channel once a month for free

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I can't believe that cool Ninja game comes out on April 18th. That day is loving stacked.

Cuphead, Katana ZERO, Konami Arcade collection, two days after Final Fantasy X and X-2

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's never a really big deal until a game has something that you DO want gated behind an amiibo and you can't get said amiibo. When Splatoon 2 came out, I saw that purple squid amiibo had a really neat looking robot armor set so I was like sure I'll drop like $10 to buy one, but no store stocked the purple squid, it was sold out for miles, no one could tell me when they would get another one, and on eBay they went for 3x the retail price so I did the pirate thing and got the robot armor that way instead. If Nintendo would have just sold the armor set as an MTX thing I might have just bought it outright.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf's Welcome Amiibo update had a bunch of unique stuff including those 3DS and Wii Us with exclusive mini-games you could only get normally by trading with characters that only show up through using certain amiibo. I already had an Isabelle so I got the 3DS just fine but I had to import an amiibo card to get the Wii U.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

amiibo are at a really awkward place where if they put too much stuff behind them, people rightfully complain that they're making limited-time, artificially scarce DLC. But if they put too little, people rightfully complain that they're paying extra for a dumb bonus that should have been in the game in the beginning.

I think the only games that got it right were Smash, creating and training a unique AI fighter you could take with you is really cool. But everything else – especially the one time scan like Metroid and Zelda – is really lame.

That's why I am totally cool with people just buying one of those devices that has all the four digit/letter codes for Amiibos and just getting the items in game with that

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

Mario Maker. The amiibo that came with some copies unlocked a mushroom that fundamentally changed the gameplay as opposed to the others that were just cosmetic. It was lovely.

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Mystery_Mushroom

More like amiboo let's you free unlock most of them, some you can only unlock through gameplay. Don't see where what you said is true. Less its something else entirely

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

American McGay posted:

I haven't played a single game where I felt like I was missing out by not having whatever amiibo content was in the game. Some of the BOTW clothes were cool I guess but it's such a tiny aspect of the game I have a hard time worrying about it.

Mario Maker amiibo had cool stuff gated behind it. Basically it made you enormous and you could Kool-Aid Man your way through blocks. It changed the kind of levels you could design quite a bit. Also some graphical changes but they were just cosmetic. I'd have been fine if it was DLC or unlockable.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I think there was a nice looking saddle/bridle locked behind an amiibo in BotW but the regular one was really pretty anyway so no great loss

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wanted to like Blaster Master Zero 2 over my trip but some of the audio in that is piercingly painful. Some of the shots, some of the music, it's like they chose a soundfont at 150% volume then tried to squash it down or something. I actually couldn't play it after a while, it was either too low volume to be audible or would once in a while stab my ears like a screech.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Ciaphas posted:

I wanted to like Blaster Master Zero 2 over my trip but some of the audio in that is piercingly painful. Some of the shots, some of the music, it's like they chose a soundfont at 150% volume then tried to squash it down or something. I actually couldn't play it after a while, it was either too low volume to be audible or would once in a while stab my ears like a screech.

I'm also not really enjoying blaster master zero 2. I feel like it's not super clear what the power ups do, and whether or not I'm geared properly. I got to the first boss of the first stage and my shots do piddling damage, would take an hour of straight shooting without dodging to beat it. gently caress that noise.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I don't know if I'll play NES games for more than like 10 minutes but drat if I don't want those special NES controllers.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

LethalGeek posted:

https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Mystery_Mushroom

More like amiboo let's you free unlock most of them, some you can only unlock through gameplay. Don't see where what you said is true. Less its something else entirely

https://www.mariowiki.com/Big_Mushroom

afaict this is the only gated thing that actually effects gameplay

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

IMO they should make a baby easy mode for every game or bring back single player cheats when you just want to finish a game and don't feel like slogging through it anymore

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harlock posted:

IMO they should make a baby easy mode for every game or bring back single player cheats when you just want to finish a game and don't feel like slogging through it anymore

Add cheat codes on a per-game basis at the OS level

return game genie to us, nintendo, you cowards

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Over easy mode, in games with complicated stats and skill trees I love the idea of a button to just say "I don't feel like thinking about this, just do it for me please."

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ciaphas posted:

Add cheat codes on a per-game basis at the OS level

return game genie to us, nintendo, you cowards

we are back to cartridges a tiny game genie is feasible

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Nep-Nep posted:

Over easy mode, in games with complicated stats and skill trees I love the idea of a button to just say "I don't feel like thinking about this, just do it for me please."

I like this mode, but instead it should make your Switch cook your eggs perfectly over easy

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Game genie amiibo you have to scan to activate cheats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

https://www.mariowiki.com/Big_Mushroom

afaict this is the only gated thing that actually effects gameplay

Fusion mode in Samus Returns is gated by an Amiibo, which in addition to being the games hardest sifficulty is the only way to get the Fusion suit look.