Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the honour of the miner prevents him from turning his humble tool into a horrible weapon.
likewise, the honour of the axedorf prevents him from turning his glorious weapon into a mere tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Honestly I thought I was in the mil hist thread or something when I read the post because I got really confused during the second paragraph, but thats what I get for mindlessly browsing my bookmarks

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

abrosheen posted:

I don't understand the conflict between a job that requires a weapon (mining and tree cutting) and the military. Some things I read online made me think that if you manually assign an axe to a squad member, for example, they should be able to go about their duties as a lumberjack and be in the military too.

However, what I think I just observed happening in my fortress is that, after assigning a dwarf to a squad with a uniform that includes an axe, and then enabling tree cutting for that dwarf, the dwarf got stuck in an endless loop of equipping and then dropping equipment, like some invisible tree cutting uniform exists that prevents armor.

Does anyone know if this is possible? Is the problem that I shouldn't have assigned any weapon as part of the uniform? I really wanted to make a squad out of my miners while allowing them to continue to mine. I'm trying to keep my population lower than normal in this fort.

"Like some invisible tree cutting uniform exists"

Yes, that's almost exactly it. The game treats woodcutting axes, mining picks, and weapons as different concepts even if they are the same thing.

What you CAN do is assign your woodcutters to a squad with NO weapon. That should prevent the conflict. (Or I think that's how it will work? It's been a while for me since I last messed with this.) EDIT: Nope, sorry. I did some research and apparently ANY military uniform interferes with the woodcutter uniform. So ignore this bit.

Also my suggestion, for every non-military and non-miner dwarf you have: Enable woodcutting and build like 200 steel axes.

This will arm your average dwarf so when they randomly get attacked by that giant bat or whatever, they have something to defend themselves with. (They'll probably still die but it at least gives them a slightly better chance of survival.)

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 26, 2019

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheCIASentMe posted:

"Like some invisible tree cutting uniform exists"

Yes, that's almost exactly it. The game treats woodcutting axes, mining picks, and weapons as different concepts even if they are the same thing.

What you CAN do is assign your woodcutters to a squad with NO weapon. That should prevent the conflict. (Or I think that's how it will work? It's been a while for me since I last messed with this.)

Also my suggestion, for every non-military and non-miner dwarf you have: Enable woodcutting and build like 200 steel axes.

This will arm your average dwarf so when they randomly get attacked by that giant bat or whatever, they have something to defend themselves with. (They'll probably still die but it at least gives them a slightly better chance of survival.)

Or ay least injure the beast slightly so that the glorious military is in less danger when they respond (after finishing this beer).

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

TheCIASentMe posted:

What you CAN do is assign your woodcutters to a squad with NO weapon. That should prevent the conflict. (Or I think that's how it will work? It's been a while for me since I last messed with this.) EDIT: Nope, sorry. I did some research and apparently ANY military uniform interferes with the woodcutter uniform. So ignore this bit.

Thank you, I was going to try this next, glad to know in advance it doesn't work!

I think instead of making everyone else axedwarves, I'm going to put everyone but the miners/choppers in military units with leather armor and shields at least. Then maybe they can block a few attacks while the military dwarves finish their beers.

The fact that any part of this sounds like the military in real life is hilarious and frightening.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dieting Hippo posted:

I thought an even trade with barrels of fish would be fine, but they got real mad at me and left.

Did your trader dwarf have the Appraisal skill to tell how much things actually cost?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Not only that, give them a bit more value than what you're taking in. Exporting wealth is supposed to be the goal.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
No one had trader skills, so I picked one of my six fisherdwarfs. He was probably not happy about not fishing.

Next time I'll definitely trade them at a profit. I was watching other videos and saw ~25% more than cost of goods made a good deal. Is that a good guideline or can I stiff 'em a bit more?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dieting Hippo posted:

one of my six fisherdwarfs.

You monster. :aaa:

You could drain the ocean with that many.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Dieting Hippo posted:

No one had trader skills, so I picked one of my six fisherdwarfs. He was probably not happy about not fishing.

Next time I'll definitely trade them at a profit. I was watching other videos and saw ~25% more than cost of goods made a good deal. Is that a good guideline or can I stiff 'em a bit more?

realistically you're just trying to justify your existence by trading for stuff that helps you exist. most of the stuff you want to trade away doesn't have any real practical value for you, and the more profit you give traders, the more poo poo they bring to entice you to do it again (iirc). stiffing them by 10% doesn't do anything except leave 10% more trade goods in your pile to... trade away next time. crafting stuff that has surplus 'value' is trivially easy, so its not like you need to be frugal to get the best deal

sometimes i'll just dump my entire stockpile of poo poo i dont want at a huge "loss" because by the time the next caravan rolls around, i'll have created more, and it gets it off the map

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Verviticus posted:

realistically you're just trying to justify your existence by trading for stuff that helps you exist. most of the stuff you want to trade away doesn't have any real practical value for you, and the more profit you give traders, the more poo poo they bring to entice you to do it again (iirc). stiffing them by 10% doesn't do anything except leave 10% more trade goods in your pile to... trade away next time. crafting stuff that has surplus 'value' is trivially easy, so its not like you need to be frugal to get the best deal

sometimes i'll just dump my entire stockpile of poo poo i dont want at a huge "loss" because by the time the next caravan rolls around, i'll have created more, and it gets it off the map

Yeah a shitload of stuff you're trading away is like, rocks which you have thousands of that your crafters turned into mugs. There's no need to really be stingy.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dieting Hippo posted:

~25% more than cost of goods made a good deal.

In the real world 20% profit margin is considered normal, 30% if you maintain any kind of physical retail presence

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hadlock posted:

In the real world 20% profit margin is considered normal, 30% if you maintain any kind of physical retail presence

Is the assumption that either side is pricing at their cost to manufacture?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Steam release will ruin Dwarf Fortress because normies ruin everything

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm either being sincere or mocking people who sincerely predict the above depending on how and if the game actually changes, but there absolutely will be people saying the above about every tiny change

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Tarn's good people.

quote:

I ask about what I think is a real possibility: Dwarf Fortress sells a million copies at $20 each. What is his life after that?

“There's no reason we'd get up to a million copies, but if we did, that's at the point where Zack and I would both have like 5 million dollars, and I don't know what that means,” he says. “Is that going to corrupt my morality somehow and turn me into a strange person? Because that seems to be a thing that happens. That's why I'm thinking, just try to pitch it away as fast as possible. People expect me to take care of myself, that's what I'm going to do, make sure that my health is in order, make sure that the game is in order, and the rest of it? You know, there are a lot of people and animals and other stuff that are in trouble. Kids that don't have school supplies. All kinds of stuff. It's like Brewster’s Millions, right? You've just got to get rid of it, man, that's how I feel about it.”

quote:

He does see money changing a few things. They might hire someone to help with graphics programming in the future so he can focus on developing Dwarf Fortress’s upcoming features, like a long-gestating magic system. He wants to keep paying the artists to work on the game after the initial Steam release. And if money as a concern really does go away for life, he says, why not release the source code?

Tarn might be the kind of person who just can’t fathom a life of even some luxury, but he’s also self-aware about how that sounds.

“It’s easy to say now,” he adds to his give-it-all-away statement. “I don't know the psychology of it. It's such a hard thing, especially when you're looking at how much [medical] treatments cost. What is the line? Where do you really feel comfortable to start peeling that [money] away? I don't know. It's not a moral test I've passed.”

But if he shows up at GDC next year newly rich, blinged out in diamonds?

“You can feel free to take a picture of me and make fun of my rear end and be like ‘This is the five year story of Tarn Adams of GDC, and now he's a fuckin' shmuck.’ That's cool, I dig that,” he says with a laugh.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

[ECONOMY:NO]

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that's cool as hell and makes my decision to buy it day 1 even more concrete

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

Is the assumption that either side is pricing at their cost to manufacture?

The 20% rule has been in effect since at least the middle ages, probably predating the Roman era, for manufacturers, middle men and retailers. The main exception to this is luxuries.

If you are getting more than 30% you're probably in a regulated market of some kind, like an artificial monopoly. Pan-Am was for ~50 years the only airline allowed to make international flights from the US, and were guaranteed 50% profit on every seat... a large reason why they were able to fund a huge portion of the 747s development in partnership with Boeing

If your civilization has a monopoly on a particular luxury good you can charge more for it and use it to research a particular tech tree, etc; but you might not be able to mark up a commodity like shirts 50% and get away with it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I love how this hits right as notch gets Damnatio Memoraie'd out of Minecraft. Tarn definitely has the better mindset.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

I love how this hits right as notch gets Damnatio Memoraie'd out of Minecraft. Tarn definitely has the better mindset.

Wow, I hadn't realized Notch had been struck from the official lore.

...replace him with Zach Barth.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Dude just put it in a Vanguard so you can survive retirement without running out of money and getting put in the furnaces.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hadlock posted:

The 20% rule has been in effect since at least the middle ages, probably predating the Roman era, for manufacturers, middle men and retailers. The main exception to this is luxuries.

If you are getting more than 30% you're probably in a regulated market of some kind, like an artificial monopoly. Pan-Am was for ~50 years the only airline allowed to make international flights from the US, and were guaranteed 50% profit on every seat... a large reason why they were able to fund a huge portion of the 747s development in partnership with Boeing

If your civilization has a monopoly on a particular luxury good you can charge more for it and use it to research a particular tech tree, etc; but you might not be able to mark up a commodity like shirts 50% and get away with it

It's kinda crazy how many luxury goods there are that pretty much spit on the idea of the 20% rule, despite how much it otherwise works.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
My dwarves are going to kill themselves with unhappiness because they insist on cramming raw plump helmets into their stupid mouths when I have 10 bajillion masterpiece animal gut roasts or whatever, UGH! I used to just ignore it in the previous version, but it's driving me nuts with the new happiness changes. I have done so much to make them happy, and that one drat thought is pissing me off.

I'm trying to build more stills to brew literally everything. Maybe I should stop farming.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

abrosheen posted:

My dwarves are going to kill themselves with unhappiness because they insist on cramming raw plump helmets into their stupid mouths when I have 10 bajillion masterpiece animal gut roasts or whatever, UGH! I used to just ignore it in the previous version, but it's driving me nuts with the new happiness changes. I have done so much to make them happy, and that one drat thought is pissing me off.

I'm trying to build more stills to brew literally everything. Maybe I should stop farming.

IIRC wasn't there some math where something like 1 or 2 5x5 plots can technically feed a whole fortress of over 100 dwarves? You don't really need to farm much at all. Hell, even just foraging areas can produce a lot of edibles and poo poo to keep most of the fort happy. And if you've got any fruit trees sitting around, hoo boy, are you in for some good wine. How much are you farming, and how many plump helmets do you have? Can you set them into their own stockpile, forbid them from being cooked, and set your stills to brew forever and sell the excess? Or maybe dump a bunch of it outside to rot? Do you have access to lava?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

abrosheen posted:

This won't really help in the short term but just forbid raw foods from the stockpile closest to your dining room? If it's really really bad lock your chef into a separate section of the fort with all the plump helmets and let him just work all day making meals until he runs out of supplies, move all the prepared food out restock the raw materials and then lock him back in again.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Dwarves need a healthy varied diet of booze so obviously you need a diverse set of every single brewable/cookable plant growing.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Cooking destroys the seeds right? I feel like I can never cook the press R to repeat because I dont want to risk running out of seeds

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Hihohe posted:

Cooking destroys the seeds right? I feel like I can never cook the press R to repeat because I dont want to risk running out of seeds

If you cook seeds, yeah. So don't add seeds to your list of permissible ingredients in your kitchen sub-menu.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I mean if you cook a plump helmet will it destroy the seed of a plump helmet?

Is it like brewing where it will also produce a seed?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Hihohe posted:

I mean if you cook a plump helmet will it destroy the seed of a plump helmet?

Is it like brewing where it will also produce a seed?

Seeds are also produced at harvest, to a fortress wide cap of 200 per seed type. You don't get a bonus seed from cooking, so if you're hurting for grain or sugar seeds, you can mill the plant first.

But since you have to harvest the plant to cook it, you won't run out of seeds completely unless you're eating them.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

Seeds are also produced at harvest, to a fortress wide cap of 200 per seed type. You don't get a bonus seed from cooking, so if you're hurting for grain or sugar seeds, you can mill the plant first.

But since you have to harvest the plant to cook it, you won't run out of seeds completely unless you're eating them.

Oh! Sweet poo poo!

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

IIRC wasn't there some math where something like 1 or 2 5x5 plots can technically feed a whole fortress of over 100 dwarves? You don't really need to farm much at all. Hell, even just foraging areas can produce a lot of edibles and poo poo to keep most of the fort happy. And if you've got any fruit trees sitting around, hoo boy, are you in for some good wine. How much are you farming, and how many plump helmets do you have? Can you set them into their own stockpile, forbid them from being cooked, and set your stills to brew forever and sell the excess? Or maybe dump a bunch of it outside to rot? Do you have access to lava?

Yeah I'll probably stop farming for now. I am running a fort with 50ish dwarf cap right now, and I think I still set up farm plots like I was going to have 200 people here. I stopped the farming, and started cooking and brewing like crazy, I'll dump tons of stuff to the next caravan because things are starting to rot. New unhappy thoughts!

reignofevil posted:

This won't really help in the short term but just forbid raw foods from the stockpile closest to your dining room? If it's really really bad lock your chef into a separate section of the fort with all the plump helmets and let him just work all day making meals until he runs out of supplies, move all the prepared food out restock the raw materials and then lock him back in again.

I made a raw food stockpile next to the kitchen multiple z levels away from the tavern, and then put a prepared food stockpile inside the tavern, and they still find the raw poo poo. Drives me nuts! Locking the chef away is an interesting idea though

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

abrosheen posted:

I made a raw food stockpile next to the kitchen multiple z levels away from the tavern, and then put a prepared food stockpile inside the tavern, and they still find the raw poo poo. Drives me nuts! Locking the chef away is an interesting idea though

yyyyeeeaahhh, that might be part of the problem: z-levels aren't a good way of guesstimating or controlling dwarven item proximity. Unless I'm sorely mistaken and something has radically changed, the check for a job item often relies on a straight-line absolute-shortest-distance calculation where a z-level only counts as one unit of distance (so an item that's located five z-levels below a workshop through an absolute maze of convoluted tunnels that takes days to walk to is technically 'closer' than an item seven tiles away in the same room), or in some cases the z-level might not matter at all, and dwarves ONLY care about x-y coords??? Additionally, I think the jobs for eating and drinking check for the closest item when they fire; if dwarves are working closer to the kitchen than the tavern stockpile, they'll head there first, because it's closest. You would probably need to put the kitchen pretty far from any other activity zone on an absolute x-y basis to ensure that dwarves only rarely snatch raw ingredients out of the hands of the chef and then complain about how awful it is that they were forced to subsist on little more than dirt.

My vague recollection on handling such things is to make the items you never want dwarves to touch reside in stockpiles farthest from the central activity zones of the fort, and then directly in front of those stockpiles make the stockpiles you actually want dwarves to take from; that way the desired items are always closer on average if they're present. If the two stockpiles are farther away from each other, then there's a larger zone where a dwarf wandering to or working in the kitchen would be closest to the raw ingredients when they want to have (or serve?) comestibles. I'm pretty sure I came by this dumb workaround primarily for messing around with artifact ingredients instead of the more useful and logical food solution.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 29, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

abrosheen posted:

Put the plump helmet stockpile further away than the prepared foods stockpile.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dieting Hippo posted:

Okay, if nobody around had Appraisal, you weren't seeing the values of things, you were looking at the weight.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Zereth posted:

Okay, if nobody around had Appraisal, you weren't seeing the values of things, you were looking at the weight.

The value totals at the bottom of the screen changed accordingly when I picked items to trade, so maybe that dwarf did?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

The value totals at the bottom of the screen changed accordingly when I picked items to trade, so maybe that dwarf did?

If it was a star symbol, it was value (and your trader had some appraisal skill), if it was a gamma symbol it was weight.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

yyyyeeeaahhh, that might be part of the problem: z-levels aren't a good way of guesstimating or controlling dwarven item proximity. Unless I'm sorely mistaken and something has radically changed, the check for a job item often relies on a straight-line absolute-shortest-distance calculation where a z-level only counts as one unit of distance (so an item that's located five z-levels below a workshop through an absolute maze of convoluted tunnels that takes days to walk to is technically 'closer' than an item seven tiles away in the same room), or in some cases the z-level might not matter at all, and dwarves ONLY care about x-y coords??? Additionally, I think the jobs for eating and drinking check for the closest item when they fire; if dwarves are working closer to the kitchen than the tavern stockpile, they'll head there first, because it's closest. You would probably need to put the kitchen pretty far from any other activity zone on an absolute x-y basis to ensure that dwarves only rarely snatch raw ingredients out of the hands of the chef and then complain about how awful it is that they were forced to subsist on little more than dirt.

My vague recollection on handling such things is to make the items you never want dwarves to touch reside in stockpiles farthest from the central activity zones of the fort, and then directly in front of those stockpiles make the stockpiles you actually want dwarves to take from; that way the desired items are always closer on average if they're present. If the two stockpiles are farther away from each other, then there's a larger zone where a dwarf wandering to or working in the kitchen would be closest to the raw ingredients when they want to have (or serve?) comestibles. I'm pretty sure I came by this dumb workaround primarily for messing around with artifact ingredients instead of the more useful and logical food solution.

This....makes sense. drat. Ok, I have some work to do!

This fort is getting pretty unhappy, but at least it has been a learning experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

"huh, that world generated almost instantly..."