Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Man, Will Smith was really dominating the end credits rap movement for a while, wasn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Easy Diff posted:

https://letterboxd.com/easydiff/list/end-credits-rap/

Am I missing any? I know I am, just curious if any of you can think of any?

Ninja Turtles 2 ends with a rap song too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30DN12DR2ac

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

This is a very neat scene.

When I was about 6 I sat and watched 1 & 2 of the films in a row before having probably what was a panic attack and that’s when my parents found out I’d been watching NOES all afternoon on a Sunday. We had only network television so it was a weird programming choice for a Sunday afternoon (it was near halloween though!) but it hosed me up good for like a year.

My father, after many bad nights, sat me down and went through this scene’s practical effects and tried to deconstruct it so I would see it for what it was. It worked, not magically or overnight, but I never forgot that and it probably helped fuel an interest in movie making years later.

On the topic of rap credits, Godzilla ‘98 ends with Puff Daddy’s “Come With Me” recorded with Tom Morello and Jimmy Page. Strays the line maybe.

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 27, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Easy Diff posted:

People Under the Stairs ends with a remix of "Do the Right Thing" by Redhead Kingpin & The FBI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7PwXdEl964

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't know if it's played during the credits, but google told me this is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzFTZls3F6A

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Easy Diff posted:

There's a Wikipedia article for this, though you'd need to check yourself to see if they play over the end credits.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Again, to clarify: its not just "a rap song associated woth the movie," it has to be a rap song about the plot of, or at least the characters and events within, a movie

That wiki link is good, but it's suspect - Tales from the Hood is not actually about three dudes hiding from the cops in an abandoned funeral home and Clarence Williams III tells them ghost stories.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 27, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Reaper Rap from Bogus Journey I think kinda counts.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://youtu.be/OVoyGUcXepc

Its a game not a film but it owns

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Does Into the Spider-Verse count? I finally watched it yesterday and the song Elevate that plays during the credits mentions a lot of stuff relating to the movie

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Easy Diff posted:

Wasn't that a hair metal song by Dokken though? I didn't put Ray Parker's "Ghostbusters Theme" on the list for just this reason - not a rap. It's a very specific genre, I know.

But Ghostbusters 2 has Bobby Brown rapping a jist of the movie over the credits as part of his song On Our Own.

Edit: might as well include it so the phrase "too hot to handle too cold to hold" can be burned into your brain like it has been for me since 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv4JDe8wtII

Lobok fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 27, 2019

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lobok posted:

But Ghostbusters 2 has Bobby Brown rapping a jist of the movie over the credits as part of his song On Our Own.

Edit: might as well include it so the phrase "too hot to handle too cold to hold" can be burned into your brain like it has been for me since 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv4JDe8wtII

Run DMC's GB2 rap plays over the credits immediately after Bobby Brown, so that counts.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I assume Addams Family has been mentioned?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timby posted:

Run DMC's GB2 rap plays over the credits immediately after Bobby Brown, so that counts.

That one is just rap about spooky stuff in general, though. Doesn't mention the plot or scenes from the movie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lobok posted:

That one is just rap about spooky stuff in general, though. Doesn't mention the plot or scenes from the movie.

And it's also played during the montage :goonsay:

I lived and breathed that entire soundtrack, and was always kind of weirded out that a bunch of songs that are on there never show up in the final film. Like Love is a Cannibal, Promised Land, and Supernatural. I'd understand if one wasn't on there, but those three never show up. Even Oingo Boingo's "Flesh and Blood" is there, when Egon and Ray are in the lab, after Peter calls them and tells them about the slime in the bathtub.

'Spirit' I think only shows up in the credits, though the main musical motif of it DOES appear once or twice in the film, somewhere, so I guess that counts.

The other Bobby Brown song, "We're Back", while it doesn't mention anything specifically from the movie, definitely is meant to be all about it, and is kind of a follow-up to 'On Our Own', I guess.

Also, it was kind of strange how, when they play "Higher and Higher" to make the toaster dance, Peter immediately says "Oh I LOVE Jackie Wilson!", despite Wilson's version never actually appearing the in film. It was Howard Huntsberry, who, to his credit, did a fantastically faithful cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDVaKRApcg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTUAk-qTs88

Anyway, those are a bunch of words about (edit: the soundtrack to) a 30 year old film, which was the first I ever saw in theatres (holy poo poo :corsair:)

I still want Randy Edelman's score on some sort of official release. Yeah, it's no Elmer Bernstein, but I still liked it, dammit :negative:

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where can I read more about effects and how they were done?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

Probably a behind-the-scenes video from whatever movie you're wanting to look into. For example, Terminator 2 had a ton of BTS stuff for almost all of their effects. Jurassic Park, too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are you interested in VFX or SFX?

Either way, I'd recommend tracking down the behind the scenes documentaries for specific productions you're interested in. Most big effects-heavy movies have had something produced on them, and SFX-heavy films like The Thing or American Werewolf have had a lot written about them as well. Jurassic Park has a great making-of doc that might be a fun place to start if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

Also worth checking out the YouTube channels for Stan Winston, Stufio ADI, and Steve Johnson FX.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It's worth noting, the T-Rex effect in Jurassic Park was achieved by building a full-sized, 1:1 recreation of an actual T-rex and including animatronic controls. When it got wet (since they shot with a rain machine), it would break down and an engineer would climb into the t-rex, through the only egress- its mouth, and crawl around inside among 20 tons of gears and rods that could accidentally activate, crushing him inside the beast's belly.

Contrary to young-earthers, this is the closest man has ever come to being eaten by a dinosaur.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s awesome thanks folks. I think it’d be more interesting to see how they did stuff in smaller films also as they’d be more budget constrained. Reminds me of how when Disney first started making rides, to simulate rain they would use strips of a certain type of paper and move it around with a fan to simulate movement.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

That’s awesome thanks folks. I think it’d be more interesting to see how they did stuff in smaller films also as they’d be more budget constrained. Reminds me of how when Disney first started making rides, to simulate rain they would use strips of a certain type of paper and move it around with a fan to simulate movement.

i'd definitely look in to the BTS stuff for horror movies - The Thing comes to mind as one that would likely have some Cool rear end poo poo on it or maybe Hellraiser/NOES.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cinefex magazine.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Timby posted:

Cinefex magazine.

You can get bulk back issues of Starlog and Fangoria at any yard sale, thrift shop or garbage pile. They are your best bet for enthusiast-press BTS stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Easy Diff posted:

You can get bulk back issues of Starlog and Fangoria at any yard sale, thrift shop or garbage pile. They are your best bet for enthusiast-press BTS stuff.

Yeah, but Cinefex actually gets deep into the nitty gritty of how effects sequences are done: Cameras, lenses, techniques, challenges, etc.

Edit: Their back issues are online.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 27, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Timby posted:

Yeah, but Cinefex actually gets deep into the nitty gritty of how effects sequences are done: Cameras, lenses, techniques, challenges, etc.

You're on a film set, trying to shoot a scene of kids running away from a helicopter in a Vietnamese war scene. How do you complete the shot without killing the actors?

Answer: Trick question - can't be done.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

EL BROMANCE posted:

You're on a film set, trying to shoot a scene of kids running away from a helicopter in a Vietnamese war scene. How do you complete the shot without killing the actors?

I think I'll skip this feature.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EL BROMANCE posted:

In Communist Vietnam the scenery chews you!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding the rap songs over end credits, am I missing something or would "Colors" belong on the list? I scanned the link and the posts and I might be overlooking something, because I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned yet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

does chigurh kill the two guys who give him the receiver because they've seen his face?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

does chigurh kill the two guys who give him the receiver because they've seen his face?

I think so.

I wonder if he killed Llewellyn's wife. I believe it's supposed to be ambiguous, and then he checks his shoe, like he's looking for blood.

Goddamn, what a good movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

The book is weird. You don't really know Chigurh's motivations until the end and they never explain it the movie. Probably because all Chigurh wanted was a promotion at work.

It worked better when it stayed mysterious.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

The book is weird. You don't really know Chigurh's motivations until the end and they never explain it the movie. Probably because all Chigurh wanted was a promotion at work.

Ok, I just read a full plot synopsis of the book from Wikipedia, but what else did they leave out from or add in to the movie? I see that he absolutely definitely kills Llewelyn's wife, and yeah, I definitely prefer the ambiguity.

EDIT: Ha, reading up on Anton Chigurh as well, Javier Bardem, when offered the role, was confused, and said 'I don't drive, I speak bad english, and I hate violence', which was apparently exactly why the Coen brothers chose him.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 29, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

i couldn't remember that scene from the book (since i'd read it so many years ago). i was rewatching the movie when i posted that question because it was always weird to me that he;d just off guys that worked for the same people he was working for.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think so.

I wonder if he killed Llewellyn's wife. I believe it's supposed to be ambiguous, and then he checks his shoe, like he's looking for blood.

Goddamn, what a good movie.

I think it's pretty clear he killed her. He does a similar "checking boots for blood" after a kill previously in the movie.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
he never kills the two best characters in the movie; the lady at the trailer park who owns him by having absolutely no fear of him whatsoever, and the lucky quarter gas station guy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Parachute posted:

he never kills the two best characters in the movie; the lady at the trailer park who owns him by having absolutely no fear of him whatsoever, and the lucky quarter gas station guy.

Apparently, the reason he doesn't kill the trailer park lady is because he hears a toilet flushing in the background and likely doesn't want to deal with the hassle of taking out more than one person at that moment.

I got that from Wikipedia; I don't remember that scene whatsoever.

Edit: ok, I'm rewatching it on youtube, I remember it now.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i don't remember a toilet flush but i do remember that lady laying down some serious psych warfare on anton

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've heard both that he has some weird respect for her being direct and consistent (very much his own methodology) and the unexpected complication of the occupied restroom, and I think the two factors aren't mutually exclusive: he got some unexpected push back from Drew Carey's nemesis and threatening her was becoming more complicated, so he moved on. In the books the scene is followed by him asking at Moss's job and a diner; the implication being that Anton is going to tirelessly run down evey possible lead, he's unstoppable.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i just need to drop what im doing and read that book now. it's easily in my top 5 favorite movies of all time and ive read the road & blood meridian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's very good. I was super impressed with the adaptation, having been on a McCarthy tear just before the movie came out. It's probably the best I've seen: accurate to both the plot and themes of the original, but still very much the Coens' personal interpretation.