Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Ziddar posted:

How could you not love this weird floating dragon? :3:

He does the weird shakey heads thing Gidrah does! If only he had a high pitched ring tone cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't like how the head necks come down and then forward like arms. i would rather they go up and then forward like necks. also i don't like its giratina wings

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So Smogon is a thing and Dogasu's Backpack was a thing

What's the deal with Pokemon fans and Koffing?

Also I think that's the first time I've ever typed out Koffing, what a weird word

Koffing is cute and round and my friend

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

oddium posted:

i don't like how the head necks come down and then forward like arms. i would rather they go up and then forward like necks. also i don't like its giratina wings

But they are arms? I assumed the previous 2 heads “died” and became new hands, with a new real head growing in between them. He’s got heads for hands.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nessa posted:

But they are arms? I assumed the previous 2 heads “died” and became new hands, with a new real head growing in between them. He’s got heads for hands.

Yeah, this exactly. Those previous heads braindead as gently caress.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Fraxure is cool, to me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i take it back it's cool then actually but i don't like the wings still

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

So Smogon is a thing and Dogasu's Backpack was a thing

What's the deal with Pokemon fans and Koffing?

Also I think that's the first time I've ever typed out Koffing, what a weird word

Azure Heights used Koffing as a mascot, too. It probably has to do with how goofy it was in the anime. I remember a lot of people back then being a fan of it.

(I can't believe people are still posting on Azure Heights in the year 2019.)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.twitch.tv/twitchpresents

Remember when Twitch streamed the Pokemon anime last August? they're in the first season of Black and White right now. :psyduck:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I’ve been partly watching the anime lately (and partly reading episode recaps on Bulbapedia, because I’m not going to subject myself to actually watching all the formulaic character of the day episodes in early to mid Johto), and I’m now on Hoenn, right after May wins a Contest for the first time. Is it just me, or is May’s goal actually a lot harder than Ash’s? He just has to beat 8 people one-on-one to get a slot in the big tournament, and if he loses to one of them, he can rechallenge the Gym the next day. To get a slot in her big tournament, May needs to win 5 other tournaments, which can have as many as 50 competitors, and are apparently only held every few weeks. I guess we’re supposed to assume that only the top 4 or so Coordinators in each Contest are serious and the rest are just local dilettantes?

Edit: It might have been more "logical" to implement it more like the games, where Contests are impromptu 4-person affairs, and the difficulty lies in collecting 1 per category per contest hall (20 total). But I guess the number of Contest-centric episodes that would require would lead to May displacing Ash as the main character.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 29, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Silver2195 posted:

I’ve been partly watching the anime lately (and partly reading episode recaps on Bulbapedia, because I’m not going to subject myself to actually watching all the formulaic character of the day episodes in early to mid Johto), and I’m now on Hoenn, right after May wins a Contest for the first time. Is it just me, or is May’s goal actually a lot harder than Ash’s? He just has to beat 8 people one-on-one to get a slot in the big tournament, and if he loses to one of them, he can rechallenge the Gym the next day. To get a slot in her big tournament, May needs to win 5 other tournaments, which can have as many as 50 competitors, and are apparently only held every few weeks. I guess we’re supposed to assume that only the top 4 or so Coordinators in each Contest are serious and the rest are just local dilettantes?

The logistics behind contests tend to break down when examined closely as they all seem to be MCed by the same host and judged by the same two people and a local Nurse Joy. Assuming that the Ribbons needed were won in the same "journey" (as once they've been used to enter a Grand Festival, they can't be used for a different one), by the time a Grand Festival comes around, there may also be up to 50 competitors, which means that at least... 250 different ribbons from 250 different contests.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zuzie posted:

The logistics behind contests tend to break down when examined closely as they all seem to be MCed by the same host and judged by the same two people and a local Nurse Joy. Assuming that the Ribbons needed were won in the same "journey" (as once they've been used to enter a Grand Festival, they can't be used for a different one), by the time a Grand Festival comes around, there may also be up to 50 competitors, which means that at least... 250 different ribbons from 250 different contests.

I assume most Coordinators win their 5 Ribbons over a multi-year period, since while Drew appears to be May's age, the other strong Coordinators in the episodes I've seen so far seem to mostly be adults. Plus there might be alternate methods for eligibility, like Pokemon Tech and the Pokemon League Entrance Exam for the Indigo League.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Vandar posted:

Azure Heights used Koffing as a mascot, too. It probably has to do with how goofy it was in the anime. I remember a lot of people back then being a fan of it.

(I can't believe people are still posting on Azure Heights in the year 2019.)

Jfc I can’t believe Azure is still up and running. Man that brings back memories, I was hardcoreinto using thier rby battle simulator.

Dogasu was the jam too. 12 year old web me loved reading his write ups on the JPN episodes.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

The only dragon types I don't like are Druddigon, Shelgon, and Reshiram. The rest are all my favorites, especially Kommo-o and Noivern.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I continually forget that Druddigon exists.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's a bit strange how quickly they went for out there Dragon-type designs when there's an awful lot of more obvious designs you could think of when you hear "dragon".

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

YaketySass posted:

It's a bit strange how quickly they went for out there Dragon-type designs when there's an awful lot of more obvious designs you could think of when you hear "dragon".

There are some pretty out-there ones, aren't there? You have a land-dwelling shark-kaiju, a landmine-turtle, a dinosaur with heads for arms, a palm tree with coconuts for heads and a tail with another head on it, a colonial organism in the shape of a giant robot...

I'm not entirely clear about what being a Dragon-type means, though. A lot of Pokemon that look pretty dragon-like (Charizard, Gyarados) aren't dragons, while a line of slugs are dragons (though to be fair, they're based on a weird French legendary creature). Reminds me of the argument in TBB's Bonfire of the Genres thread about whether an acorn can be a dragon.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 29, 2019

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

There are some pretty out-there ones, aren't there? You have a land-dwelling shark-kaiju, a landmine-turtle, a dinosaur with heads for arms, a palm tree with coconuts for heads and a tail with another head on it, a colonial organism in the shape of a giant robot...

I'm not entirely clear about what being a Dragon-type means, though. A lot of Pokemon that look pretty dragon-like (Charizard, Gyarados) aren't dragons, while a line of slugs are dragons (though to be fair, they're based on a weird French legendary creature). Reminds me of the argument in TBB's Bonfire of the Genres thread about whether an acorn can be a dragon.

Dino with head for arms is clearly Gidorah though, right down to Japanese name (Sazandora)

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
For all its disturbing pokedex entry, my parasect is surprisingly cute and friendly. He loves to shakeshakeshake and spore the enemy. Clefable's doing pretty well, but I was shocked Clefairy stopped learning moves at level 38. I wish I could nickname my Alolan Golem. She's really putting in some work.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

a colonial organism in the shape of a giant robot...
You're gonna have to help me with this one

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Xander B Coolridge posted:

You're gonna have to help me with this one

Zygarde.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Also I wish I could get turtwig in let's go because he's cute and grass/ground that learns earthquake is fun.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ziddar posted:

How could you not love this weird floating dragon? :3:

Hydreigon and so many other gen 5 Pokemon went from weird and busy to cute and brilliant when put in 3D and animated it really feels like Gamefreak designed them with 3D prioritised to their detriment in the games they debuted in.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
There are also unfortunate casualties of the transition from gen V (sprites) to gen VI (3D models), like Haxorus.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If something's type doesn't make sense to you assume it's a pun in Japanese

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

less laughter posted:

There are also unfortunate casualties of the transition from gen V (sprites) to gen VI (3D models), like Haxorus.

*Remembers all those flying types that are now stuck in a flying models to facilitate Sky Battles*

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zore posted:

That dudes like 20+ years older than her

gross

Steven's 25 in RSEORAS, 28 in HGSS, 33 in BW2

People ship Dawn with Cyrus, and he's 17 years older than she is

Shippers be whack, yo

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Hydreigon and so many other gen 5 Pokemon went from weird and busy to cute and brilliant when put in 3D and animated it really feels like Gamefreak designed them with 3D prioritised to their detriment in the games they debuted in.

Except for Eelektross. His 3D animation just has him floating in the air, while his old animated sprite had him waddling on his little flippers and he looked so cute.

https://pokemondb.net/sprites/eelektross

Flappy flappy, flippy flappy, hop, hop!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Eelektross actually moving like an eel is better.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Eelektross should have its :black101: French name, Ohmassacre

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Ignite Memories posted:

Hydreigon is gorgeous and its your fault if you dont like weed

King Weedorah

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I too prefer flying eel Eelektross.

Vinylshadow posted:

Steven's 25 in RSEORAS, 28 in HGSS, 33 in BW2

People ship Dawn with Cyrus, and he's 17 years older than she is

Shippers be whack, yo

And Cynthia. If anything they ship her and Cynthia more and Cynthia is.... uh how old is she? Definitely too old for Dawn but I forget if Cynthia is meant to be young or middle aged or what.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I suppose they can get away with it because the protagonist is supposed to be you so you can project whatever feelings you have for the other characters onto the character you are playing as.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

A Sometimes Food posted:

And Cynthia. If anything they ship her and Cynthia more and Cynthia is.... uh how old is she? Definitely too old for Dawn but I forget if Cynthia is meant to be young or middle aged or what.

Considering Cynthia's a mature adult woman in an anime, I'd guess she's maybe 29 years old.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lightrook posted:

Considering Cynthia's a mature adult woman in an anime, I'd guess she's maybe 29 years old.

29, isn't that like grandma age for anime?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ash’s mom is 29.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oak is 34.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Pikachu is 40.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure most of the people who write for these games don't know, don't care and/or have forgotten how old most of these characters are meant to be.

Pokemon's actually always been pretty good in having characters and trainers of all shapes and sizes, from young children to elderly people, spirit mediums, construction workers, martial artists, psychics, office workers, scientists, etc etc. There's a whole world going on out there besides the adventures of one vaguely defined adolescent, and Pokemon are explicitly an equalising medium between people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

Old enough for her doppelganger in another universe to have a ten-year-old daughter, so unless they're going with the "once you're ten, you can get married and do all that adult crap like filing your taxes and taking out a fifth mortgage" she's somewhere in her late twenties/early thirties