Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

TheScott2K posted:

I have a 4K HEVC copy of Spider-Verse. My GPU can't help decode HEVC because it's too old, and my CPU is too slow to do it in software, so on Plex Web it runs like rear end, and any client that needs a transcode is SOL. But, my smart TV can DirectPlay it no problem. HEVC is funny like that. Support just hasn't quite trickled all the way down yet.

I was curious about the size difference and I still had some MKVs pulled from the Flight of the Conchords DVDs from before I converted them, and HEVC redecues them from a little over a gig to about 300 mb, so it's not for nothing even on SD content even if hard drive space is cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes, anything I want to archive that I've seen before is now getting the HEVC non-DTS treatment. 3gb per movie or so is a great spot for 'eh maybe I'll never watch this again' to 'I've got the urge to watch this silly comedy for some reason' films.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

mattfl posted:

If I have a Movies library and a 4K Movies library that are completely separate folders on my storage, but have the same named movie in each library, if I play the movie from the Movies library, it should play the regular version and not the 4K version right? It should only play the 4K version if I select it from the 4K library right?

for this I would use the .plexignore file. if you haven't used this it works as such

you creat a file called .plexignore
in the file you would type

*4K*
*2160P*
*HEVC*
*\4K\* if you have a folder to exclude from within

etc anything you want the library to exclude from scanning and adding into a library. you place this file in directories where you want this stuff to be ignored. So say your movies are in /media/Movies, that is where you would place it. 4K movies are in /media/Movies/4K you still would place the file in /media/Movies. I think I am explaining this clear enough, if not PM me, I can show you my file I use. I then restrict everyone from seeing my separate 4K library EXCEPT for people I have set up there plex clients to direct play the 4K films so my server does NOT transcode them because oh yea it will otherwise and it eats my server up 100%.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

TheScott2K posted:

I have a 4K HEVC copy of Spider-Verse. My GPU can't help decode HEVC because it's too old, and my CPU is too slow to do it in software, so on Plex Web it runs like rear end, and any client that needs a transcode is SOL. But, my smart TV can DirectPlay it no problem. HEVC is funny like that. Support just hasn't quite trickled all the way down yet.

Yah, basically if you can play it natively on your device of choice you're golden, but if not you better have some modern hardware running your server... it might make sense to make 2 movie libraries, 1 for HEVC and one for h264 1080p videos.

Alternatively, you can just put the 2 copies in the same folder but then you have to remember to select the correct one in a somewhat obscure menu every time you play it.

Or you can let plex optimize a 1080p version for you which may take a while but it should do it in the background.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thanks for the suggestions on the audio lag. I did some searching online too, apparently this is not uncommon on TCL Roku TVs. It’s been sorta unaddressed for over a year. Not encouraging.

My setup uses TV > optical > receiver for audio. TV audio currently set to DD+ and DTS.

I need to try a few things:

1/ don’t change anything on TV. Send audio to receiver via HDMI instead. See what happens.

2/ keep HDMI, set TV to auto detect.

3/ change TV to just DD. This would mean some of my rips will transcode audio, but that’s okay. Try with both HDMI + optical.

🤞🏽

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

RichterIX posted:

VLC shows 23.976 too so I guess I'm okay? It's Veronica Mars, I wanted to re-watch it before the Hulu series comes out. I'm probably better off not ripping my own discs because it occurs to me that I don't know what the gently caress I'm doing. I don't think SD content benefits much in file size from using HEVC, my browser doesn't direct play it, and I am not as accustomed to some of its settings in handbrake as I was to h264.

Actually, you're probably doing just fine by ripping your own discs (especially if they're just DVDs) because then you have the original files which you can play around with later on. I've been transcoding everything to HEVC and have been very pleased with the results, and HEVC SD content is easy enough to transcode so any storage savings are worth it.

RichterIX posted:

I was curious about the size difference and I still had some MKVs pulled from the Flight of the Conchords DVDs from before I converted them, and HEVC redecues them from a little over a gig to about 300 mb, so it's not for nothing even on SD content even if hard drive space is cheap.

I haven't actually tried a HEVC vs AVC comparison, but indeed the transcode to HEVC is usually good for over 50% compression, but that's because DVDs are generally in MPEG-1 or 2. I'd think if you went to either HEVC or AVC you'd be fine; anything is going to be more efficient than leaving the poorly-compressed original files alone.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I found out recently that some huge Beavis and Butt-head fan restored all of the episodes to their original, uncensored versions complete with music videos. I downloaded it and for whatever reason he insisted on 19 ISO images instead of just individual episodes. I guess he really wanted DVD menus for some reason. Anyway, for a few days I've been ripping the ISOs to individual video files so I can watch them on Plex.

This required me doing the painstaking task of opening each video to see which episode it was, then naming the file. So I did this over 200 times, with the file names now being something like Beavis and Butt-head - School Sucks or whatever.

I put them into Plex and Plex isn't displaying anything. Because I didn't put S03E02 in it or whatever.

If I have to manually look up what each episode's season and episode number it is, and then add that to the file name, I'm going to be doing it for a week.

Is there a file-renaming utility that will rename "Beavis and Butt-head - School Sucks.mp4" to "Beavis and Butt-head - S02E05 - School Sucks.mp4"? I just tried two different file renaming utilities and neither did it. They just seem to be for people who don't like warez group names in their filenames or whatever. Does such a program exist to save me from this misery?

Also I hope I am not breaking some :filez: rule. I own all of the DVDs but entire episodes are missing and none have music videos. Thanks in advance!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My friend, I think you're renaming those files the old fashioned way.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Is there a file-renaming utility that will rename "Beavis and Butt-head - School Sucks.mp4" to "Beavis and Butt-head - S02E05 - School Sucks.mp4"? I just tried two different file renaming utilities and neither did it. They just seem to be for people who don't like warez group names in their filenames or whatever. Does such a program exist to save me from this misery?

File bot exists but the windows 10 version is no longer free and is a UWP app now. I've had the older non windows 10 version screw up a season's numbering a couple times (but that was possibly user error).

It bases the episode titles on what's in the TVDB which is one of plex's metadata sources. You WILL need to have them at least sort of ordered properly. If they aren't ordered the right way already you're sort of poo poo outta luck and will be having to manually shift things around which I had trouble with from within filebot. Also filebot can choose either airdate order or dvd order when renaming and that's probably what screwed me over when renaming stuff for some episodes I used it for.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 28, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I found out recently that some huge Beavis and Butt-head fan restored all of the episodes to their original, uncensored versions complete with music videos.

Is that the King Turd set or has there been another version since those existed? I remember them being ISO images too.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

File bot exists but the windows 10 version is no longer free and is a UWP app now. I've had the older non windows 10 version screw up a season's numbering a couple times (but that was possibly user error).

It bases the episode titles on what's in the TVDB which is one of plex's metadata sources. You WILL need to have them at least sort of ordered properly. If they aren't ordered the right way already you're sort of poo poo outta luck and will be having to manually shift things around which I had trouble with from within filebot. Also filebot can choose either airdate order or dvd order when renaming and that's probably what screwed me over when renaming stuff for some episodes I used it for.

Alright, thank you. I guess my only option is File bot. I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

edit: apparently the older versions of File bot are free (legally) and I downloaded it and double clicked every EXE in the folder and for the first time in my computing history double clicking an EXE did absolutely nothing. As in nothing loads, pops up and disappears, nothing. :smithicide:

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is that the King Turd set or has there been another version since those existed? I remember them being ISO images too.

King Turd V2, yeah

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 28, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Weird. Well the fourth option is "gently caress it, find a bulk file renaming tool that doesn't care what you're putting into it but you'll have to manually put stuff on the other end but if you get things in the right order you should be able to do each season separately and at this point may be better off just doing it from file explorer."

edit: I think filebot requires Java to be installed on your copy of windows

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

edit: I think filebot requires Java to be installed on your copy of windows

Yeah I have it installed. I even tried older versions of File Bot as well. Goddamit

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah I have it installed. I even tried older versions of File Bot as well. Goddamit

I've not used it but there's Rename My TV Series 2 and ....that's about it for things that look at TVDB that aren't plugins for Kodi or "hey this thing will setup metadata for your poo poo and also autotorrent stuff you're watching??"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

I've not used it but there's Rename My TV Series 2 and ....that's about it for things that look at TVDB that aren't plugins for Kodi or "hey this thing will setup metadata for your poo poo and also autotorrent stuff you're watching??"

Actually, I don't know what the hell made me think of it, but I moved the FileBot folder to the root of my C: and it worked! I think Java didn't like the ridiculous folder name that I had it in.

Thank you so much! :swoon:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Actually, I don't know what the hell made me think of it, but I moved the FileBot folder to the root of my C: and it worked! I think Java didn't like the ridiculous folder name that I had it in.

Thank you so much! :swoon:

YW. Still got the hard part of doing some organizing so it renames the right episodes to the right thing though

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

MagusDraco posted:

YW. Still got the hard part of doing some organizing so it renames the right episodes to the right thing though

I'm actually done already! :)

Now what is recommended for handling all the "extra" stuff? Like the Beavis and Butthead Thanksgiving special, Mike Judge on Howard Stern TV, stuff like that? They all have random file names (like w3u89zjkserfj.mp4). I really don't care about them being listed properly or with metadata in Plex, but how in Plex can I go to Beavis and Butthead, click on specials, and choose to play w3u89zjkserfj.mp4? Is there any way to do such a thing?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Now what is recommended for handling all the "extra" stuff? Like the Beavis and Butthead Thanksgiving special, Mike Judge on Howard Stern TV, stuff like that? They all have random file names (like w3u89zjkserfj.mp4). I really don't care about them being listed properly or with metadata in Plex, but how in Plex can I go to Beavis and Butthead, click on specials, and choose to play w3u89zjkserfj.mp4? Is there any way to do such a thing?

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200220677-local-media-assets-movies/ - Read the top about enabling Local Media Assets, then scroll to the bottom.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200220677-local-media-assets-movies/ - Read the top about enabling Local Media Assets, then scroll to the bottom.

OK I enabled local media assets (actually it was already checked, but I moved them to the top). Then I dumped all those extra miscellaneous MP4 files in D:\TV\Beavis and Butthead\Others

No "others" option is showing up when I go to the show. Just seasons 1-9. Can you think of anything I could have done wrong? I could swear I followed the guide to a T.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

OK I enabled local media assets (actually it was already checked, but I moved them to the top). Then I dumped all those extra miscellaneous MP4 files in D:\TV\Beavis and Butthead\Others

No "others" option is showing up when I go to the show. Just seasons 1-9. Can you think of anything I could have done wrong? I could swear I followed the guide to a T.

Throw all the extras into a season 0 folder and name them using 's00e00 - episode name' scheme.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Dump them into a folder called 'Specials' or 'Extras' inside \Beavis and Butt-Head.

I'd spend an hour or so getting the files renamed per the TVDB listings via FileBot anyway, as you're probably going to change the metadata within Plex anyway (unless you're absolutely certain what kzzerfgsdertyrty.mp4 refers to).

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Late to the game but Emby Media Manager used to be the goto for file renames in XBMC.

Dsmif
Sep 4, 2014

Has anyone used Plex for music in Android Auto? It seems to be very buggy and crashes a lot.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

"others" which isn't listed anywhere or "Others" which is listed on that page? Case counts. (It's a snarky way for me to write that but it's meant to show how specific it is.) I have "Scenes" in mine and it shows up.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Atomizer posted:

I haven't actually tried a HEVC vs AVC comparison, but indeed the transcode to HEVC is usually good for over 50% compression, but that's because DVDs are generally in MPEG-1 or 2. I'd think if you went to either HEVC or AVC you'd be fine; anything is going to be more efficient than leaving the poorly-compressed original files alone.

For the hell of it, I just did a quick comparison on a file from a DVD rip. A 44 minute episode, MPEG-1/2 (not sure which, that's how it's listed in VLC), 1.67 GB original file size. I used the SuperHQ preset to get an AVC file (and in retrospect, I selected the 1080p variant even though it's only a 480p source, although it says "up to" that resolution and the final dimensions are still 720x480 so I don't think it ended up mattering,) with a file size of ~690 MB; my HEVC preset yielded a ~540 MB output. Video quality between all 3 files is indistinguishable to me.

Now obviously, results will vary wildly between video types (e.g. animation is often far more compressible) but this is typical of my experience taking DVD content and transcoding it to HEVC. At the very least, it makes sense to transcode your DVD-quality rips to something else, because you'll get significant savings in file size while maintaining the original quality (or lack thereof.)

Also, aside from this being a sample size of 1, figuring out which settings to compare to get a fair and accurate assessment of the two codecs is another challenge; you could very likely settle for more aggressive compression and perhaps that would widen the difference between AVC & HEVC. As it stands, the AVC file was 40% of the original and the HEVC was under 32%, so with these settings alone my HEVC preset resulted in savings of about 20% over the selected built-in AVC preset. I wouldn't blame anyone for sticking with AVC for compatibility reasons, but going with HEVC instead will save terabytes in the long run if that matters to you.

Finally, the AVC transcode took roughly 24 minutes versus around 40+ for the HEVC one, which is insignificant for incidental transcodes like I do, but if you were transcoding an entire library like I did when I first set up my PMS (both the original batch of hundreds of movies and the second batch of TV shows that I tackled a couple years later were multi-week 24/7 transcodes for this PC,) then the time commitment could potentially be upwards of double. I've mentioned this before, but transcoding AVC will max out the CPU (4790) but HEVC regularly only utilizes around 80% for some reason.

I'll continue to transcode my DVD content to HEVC, because as I've said before the file size savings are welcome and the processing overhead for both the initial transcode and any necessary transcoding by PMS is insignificant. I'll leave any HD content in its native AVC though, for the opposite reasons.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

spincube posted:

Dump them into a folder called 'Specials' or 'Extras' inside \Beavis and Butt-Head.

I'd spend an hour or so getting the files renamed per the TVDB listings via FileBot anyway, as you're probably going to change the metadata within Plex anyway (unless you're absolutely certain what kzzerfgsdertyrty.mp4 refers to).

I tried both those folder names and neither worked. From what it looks like according to Plex forums, this trick only works for movies?

H110Hawk posted:

"others" which isn't listed anywhere or "Others" which is listed on that page? Case counts. (It's a snarky way for me to write that but it's meant to show how specific it is.) I have "Scenes" in mine and it shows up.

Funny enough I'm super anal retentive and did in fact name it Others but still, it won't show up for me.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I tried both those folder names and neither worked. From what it looks like according to Plex forums, this trick only works for movies?

Funny enough I'm super anal retentive and did in fact name it Others but still, it won't show up for me.

How are you renaming the files you're dropping into the 'Specials' folder? Rename them to follow the S00E00 - <whatever name> so Plex can scrape the folder. Doesn't matter what you name the episodes, it'll pick up something random maybe. S0xE0x is specifically for the Specials folder. Just edit the episode metadata manually in the web app if you want.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 29, 2019

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Try one of the other names? Make sure to force a rescan right after. You should see them add immediately. Otherwise you will need to watch your logs while scanning to see what it says when it encounters those files.

Speaking of pedantic - I just re-read it and it's all about movies. I wonder if it only works for movies?

Edit the 2nd: https://support.plex.tv/articles/200220717-local-media-assets-tv-shows/ :rolleyes: because why make 1 code path when you can make 2?

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 29, 2019

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

H110Hawk posted:

Try one of the other names? Make sure to force a rescan right after. You should see them add immediately. Otherwise you will need to watch your logs while scanning to see what it says when it encounters those files.

Speaking of pedantic - I just re-read it and it's all about movies. I wonder if it only works for movies?

Edit the 2nd: https://support.plex.tv/articles/200220717-local-media-assets-tv-shows/ :rolleyes: because why make 1 code path when you can make 2?

haha yeah I tried every single folder name and nothing worked. It 100% seems like it only works for movies and not TV shows :lol:

If anything I'd think TV shows would have more specials than movies? Stuff like this is why I stuck with Kodi for so long. The file is there, just lemme see it drat you! :argh:

teagone posted:

How are you renaming the files you're dropping into the 'Specials' folder? Rename them to follow the S00E00 - <whatever name> so Plex can scrape the folder. Doesn't matter what you name the episodes, it'll pick up something random maybe. S0xE0x is specifically for the Specials folder. Just edit the episode metadata manually in the web app if you want.

I didn't rename the files but I guess I'll do the Season 0 thing. It's kind of stupid that I have to; there really should be a way to add a folder that just shows up no matter what and lists whatever video files you have in there. It's not the end of the world, but kind of a silly limitation; and particularly so when Beavis and Butthead in fact does have a season 0.

Also for anyone that's a fan of the show, holy poo poo seek out King Turd releases. He restored every episode with a mix of the DVDs and best VHS rips he could find (for the banned content and music videos) and he even put the music videos at the end of each 7-12 minute episode which is so much better for the pacing of the show. I'm surprised he didn't splice them back in where they were originally in the episode since he seems obsessed with preservation but I'm glad he did it that way.

Beavis' nosebleed episode is the funniest loving thing I've ever seen in my life.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Don't worry, she says it's not an emergency.

If you follow TVDB's naming convention all the specials have an episode number attached to them, so Plex will tag them correctly if you have them numbered as season 0. TVDB considers the pilots and a lot of the holiday specials to be part of that, and then considers the first 4 real "episodes" as season 1.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 29, 2019

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

For renaming stuff that's already in the right order, Bulk Rename Utility is pretty great.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Also for anyone that's a fan of the show, holy poo poo seek out King Turd releases.

You should make a goon torrent once you've fixed all the metadata for Plex :angel:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Enos Cabell posted:

You should make a goon torrent once you've fixed all the metadata for Plex :angel:

drat, I thought that poo poo died long time ago.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Cabell posted:

haha I'd be happy to but you'd all probably be mad the way I encoded them. I set it in handbrake to rip them at 8mbps to mp4 because I didn't want any quality loss, and typical DVDs are 8mbps. So my torrent would be just as large as the DVD ISO one. But yeah, I did all the annoying ripping and converting and naming work already so if someone really wants them I am sure we can figure something out.

Nettle Soup posted:

For renaming stuff that's already in the right order, Bulk Rename Utility is pretty great.

Yeah I installed 7 different movie/TV renaming programs and the only one that did what I want (inject the SXXEXX info into the file name by searching the episode name already in the file name) and the only one that did that was File Bot.

RichterIX posted:

Don't worry, she says it's not an emergency.

If you follow TVDB's naming convention all the specials have an episode number attached to them, so Plex will tag them correctly if you have them numbered as season 0. TVDB considers the pilots and a lot of the holiday specials to be part of that, and then considers the first 4 real "episodes" as season 1.

That's the thing though, there's no way TVDB is going to have any of this stuff. It's not just actual specials but stuff like Mike Judge on Howard Stern's TV show and one is just a big file of every single music video. So it wouldn't show those. I just kinda wish Plex would not be so stubborn with metadata sometimes and just "allow" a specific folder to show you all of the videos in it, no matter how useless the filename or whether it has metadata or not.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Did you actually look at the TVDB entry, because that stuff all seems to be there.

https://www.thetvdb.com/series/beavis-and-butt-head/seasons/0

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I use Emby instead of Plex, but this should still work: for situations where I've ripped DVD extras that aren't in the TVDB, I usually name the files s00e101, s00e102 etc. You can then use s00e1xx for series 1 extras, s00e2xx for series 2 extras, and so on. You'll have to add your own metadata, of course, but the filename helps as a starting point for what belongs with which group of videos.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

We really need some sort of decentralized open-source TVDB. Preferably on the blockchain.

I’ll start the wiki.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

haha I'd be happy to but you'd all probably be mad the way I encoded them. I set it in handbrake to rip them at 8mbps to mp4 because I didn't want any quality loss, and typical DVDs are 8mbps. So my torrent would be just as large as the DVD ISO one. But yeah, I did all the annoying ripping and converting and naming work already so if someone really wants them I am sure we can figure something out.

I don't think size is a concern my dude. That is a ton of work.

FCKGW posted:

We really need some sort of decentralized open-source TVDB. Preferably on the blockchain.

I’ll start the wiki.

I've wanted a better TVDB for years but getting stuff to move to it is the hard part.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm pretty sure that as long as it has an SxxExx on it, plex will pick it up too and stick it in the appropriate folder, even if there's no tvdb entry associated with that series/number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was halfway kidding, but if you wanted to go to the trouble I'd for sure hop on that poo poo!