Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Does it wipe all your job levels or just your active job's level?

Can you be saved if you Raise/Reraise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Just the active job level, you keep spells/skills and all that. Raise doesn't count, no outside healing so no dualboxing. Most people seem to have the 5 or so items that will warp you out at any time to save their rear end. The server operator is planning to make adjustments but wants to see how things play out for now.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
That server sounds like actual hell.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm reading a novel about that server right now.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

LiquidFriend posted:

The cool way is to paypal me money for instant riches.

is this for real, whats your rate

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How's the current game compared to how it was? I'm playing on Nasomi which is a 2005 private server and I'm digging the group leveling aspect. Is that still a thing on Live servers? Not a fan of MMOs where you're grinding alone until max level before you can do group stuff.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Blast of Confetti posted:

How's the current game compared to how it was? I'm playing on Nasomi which is a 2005 private server and I'm digging the group leveling aspect. Is that still a thing on Live servers? Not a fan of MMOs where you're grinding alone until max level before you can do group stuff.

Leveling is solo /w trusts 100%. There's no reason to group until you have level 99 on the right job/role/required gear/etc. Even max level if i'm not on the 'desired' job getting a CP group is rare. More bots than people in some of the end-game areas. And mercs. Lots and lots of mercs. But yeah, group content pre-99 is non-existant.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I told a goon about this hardcore server and they talked me into playing again there , so we have been duoing together and it's been fun actually as a casual activity trying to puzzle solve situations with this massive drawback if we gently caress up. We hit level 20 and just finished chocobos. Need to get a couple of levels for subjob farming.

We had our first 40+ die and there has been some drama around that because they didn't know about the lv90+ mobs in DW.

To be honest I am confused about these 75 only purists who don't fix these QoL improvements on their servers. Ninjas was going to be a rare main job until crafting caught up, but they found a vendor selling shehei so all these 75 era only people are like gently caress yeah.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kodilynn posted:

Leveling is solo /w trusts 100%. There's no reason to group until you have level 99 on the right job/role/required gear/etc. Even max level if i'm not on the 'desired' job getting a CP group is rare. More bots than people in some of the end-game areas. And mercs. Lots and lots of mercs. But yeah, group content pre-99 is non-existant.

That's a shame. I always liked the big variety in classes in XI. I just can't bring myself to play an MMO at this point if I'm not doing stuff with people until cap.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Blast of Confetti posted:

That's a shame. I always liked the big variety in classes in XI. I just can't bring myself to play an MMO at this point if I'm not doing stuff with people until cap.

You can always find a couple of irl people and grind together. Duoing is just as fine since you can poo poo out a trust to pick up the slack in parties. Or you could find 5 really good friends with the same schedules...

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

star eater posted:

is this for real, whats your rate
Ya I'm for real. If anyone wants to do this, PM me.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

ghostinmyshell posted:

You can always find a couple of irl people and grind together. Duoing is just as fine since you can poo poo out a trust to pick up the slack in parties. Or you could find 5 really good friends with the same schedules...

Other issue is new accounts vs. ones that have completed ROV. I can level 1-99 solo in 1-2 days with trusts because of the native xp bonuses from all the quests/missons/etc. that ROV gives + XP rings. A fresh account that I'm using for LS discord bot for our group (non-goon) I leveled for giggles and it took way longer to just get to 20 even with level sync power-leveling myself via grind. If 3-5 new people came in fresh then yeah grouping together to get it done after about level 10 would totally be a thing if you wanted to go old school for the experience. Pop a couple trusts for heals or even tank and you could easily fill in the gaps and do extremely well as a real group.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My friends are all playing Nasomi so I doubt I could convince them to play live, especially with ESO's expansion coming out soon. Oh well, I'll probably still give the game a shot at some point just because some of XI's classes are really cool.

Is there some kind of trial or anything for the game?

e:Oh hey there is a trial. I'll give it a shot.

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!
If you staple your nipples to a moving train and enjoy the experience then congratulations, you've passed the FFXI trial.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
ill tell you what i tell everyone: don’t play this game.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
So I wamted to give this game a trial too, but I may be hosed atm?

When I started the game and made my character, loading into San D'orias, my pc and every npc are invisible. I was trying this out on an intel laptop running Windows 8, has this problem happened to any other goon? Just curious if there's a solution before getting a new pc instead.

Wanted to say I really like the opening cutscene. It's much darker than the standard FF fare, and I wanted to at least run the story.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Rastan Beeza posted:

When I started the game and made my character, loading into San D'orias, my pc and every npc are invisible. I was trying this out on an intel laptop running Windows 8, has this problem happened to any other goon? Just curious if there's a solution before getting a new pc instead.

Wanted to say I really like the opening cutscene. It's much darker than the standard FF fare, and I wanted to at least run the story.

This happened to me when I installed FFXI on one of the first non-surface Windows 8 tablets. It took an intel guy downloading FFXI to manually fix it for the driver, so maybe look for an updated driver?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Might want to try using Ashita's D3D8 to D3D9 proxy.

https://forums.ashitaxi.com/viewtopic.php?t=141

Might be integrated into Ashita itself now, but I'm not positive on that.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Rastan Beeza posted:

1. don't run on intel GPUs, move the game to your dedicated GPU if you have one.

2. Use DGVoodoo.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
poo poo, I'm about to reinstall this game tonight.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006
Anyone on Asura that still plays able to help with WoC? Getting tired of failed attempts.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kodilynn posted:

Anyone on Asura that still plays able to help with WoC? Getting tired of failed attempts.

Do you need a drop or just clear?

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

frodnonnag posted:

Do you need a drop or just clear?

Just the clear. Don't give a poo poo about the drops at this point.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Kodilynn posted:

Just the clear. Don't give a poo poo about the drops at this point.

ingame name?

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

frodnonnag posted:

ingame name?

PM'd it to you.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
they are maybe, finally, updating the awful playonline client and creating a modern way to access this terrible game

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/55210-Freshly-Picked-Vana-diel-44-Digest?p=614384#post614384

quote:

Furthermore, we're also planning to renew our client installer and configurations, as well as make adjustments so that the installation is much easier to understand. This should allow, not only new players but returning players an easier environment into the game. We'd like everyone to invite your friends over to try the game out once this becomes available.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Minrad posted:

they are maybe, finally, updating the awful playonline client and creating a modern way to access this terrible game

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/55210-Freshly-Picked-Vana-diel-44-Digest?p=614384#post614384

Wow, that's big news. Installing, updating and logging in to this game is such a nightmare.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
yeah it's literally the one thing holding me back from messing around with the game since they added the trust system

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There are a lot of mechanics within FFXI that need a complete overhaul to make this game accessible. Completely changing PlayOnline is a great start though, but i've been able to get pass that barrier and still can't stand playing FFXI.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd 100% get back onboard with FFXI if they'd change the UI to be ... anything else.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I remember many years ago the devs added a prototype for a UI update (test server only), but nothing ever really came of that. It didn't look great, but at least they were trying to do something:

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/36908-dev1156-New-User-Interface

They should just borrow FFXIV's engine and do FFXI Remastered someday. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to FFXIV's take on Trusts in the new expansion.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I know I should just use macros to have me push a button and my dude use fast blade but I also just don't like the weird menu systems.

The trusts are just squadron dungeons I believe. FFXI has trusts to circumvent the group requirement for open-world activities but FFXIV doesn't really have group requirements for non-instanced content, so into the instances they go! Squad dungeons are pretty hit or miss, they gently caress up a lot of mechanics and some dungeons are normally very easy but frustratingly difficult with squads.

It'd be neat-o to have your retainers act as a trust though.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

DizzyBum posted:

I remember many years ago the devs added a prototype for a UI update (test server only), but nothing ever really came of that. It didn't look great, but at least they were trying to do something:

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/36908-dev1156-New-User-Interface

They should just borrow FFXIV's engine and do FFXI Remastered someday. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to FFXIV's take on Trusts in the new expansion.

I am still 100% certain that 14 started out as a hd remake of 11.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

They should just borrow FFXIV's engine and do FFXI Remastered someday.

Ah yes, just drag and drop 14 years of content into another game's engine. You know, like you do.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I would love to see FFXI implement something like the "gamepad mode" that XIV has with the ability to put both abilities and macros accessible with one button combination instead of scrolling back and forth like in the current macro implementation.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
They aren't doing poo poo that will break all the bots and rmt supporting this game.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Ah yes, just drag and drop 14 years of content into another game's engine. You know, like you do.

Well yeah, isn't that how all ports work?! :downs:

Nah, I know a lot of work would go into making something like that. I just think it would be neat to see.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

DizzyBum posted:

Well yeah, isn't that how all ports work?! :downs:

Nah, I know a lot of work would go into making something like that. I just think it would be neat to see.

The reason we have FF7, FF9, and FF10 remastered on PS4 and not FF8 is because SE lost the source for FF8

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The reason we have FF7, FF9, and FF10 remastered on PS4 and not FF8 is because SE lost the source for FF8

I almost want to see what pops out if they try to port the PC version of FF8 back to the PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

FF7 on PS4 (and now Switch and Bone) is explicitly a port of the PC port, so no, it's just because it's FF8