Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Holy poo poo UK, it's awesome how awful you are at governance even after existing for like 12 billion years.

It's as if Alzheimer's Reagan was an entire government.

Sudden Loud Noise has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Mar 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wife's FB friend is mad.

So is the person who wrote this comment.

quote:

I don’t fear poverty. I don’t fear for my job. I don’t fear “falling off a cliff edge”. I don’t fear for a lack of groceries on the shelves. I don’t fear inadequate stocks of medicine. I don’t fear repercussions because of a border in Ireland. I don’t fear a lack of volunteers to do “mediocre” jobs.

I fear living in a cage. Living in a prison without bars or walls or barbed wire. A prison built by those who create and enforce our laws but are not elected. Where a foreign power has rule over this, our United Kingdom. A prison where our destiny is not in our own hands and we are not free to navigate the world as we so please.

That is why I voted Leave.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Number19 posted:

I seriously hope the queen has to get involved because that’s the true maximum chaos option

I can see a different Queen coming in at this juncture and using her in theory total powers to end Brexit, order reforms, and throw a bunch of people in the tower, thereby becoming the hero of the situation and using this to protect her mandate and funding

But that's GoT stuff, not Brexit stuff

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also the CBC took at jab at the UK in their radio reporting, announcing the EU was going to have an emergency session "since the British Government is incapable of resolving the crisis"

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

univbee posted:

Wife's FB friend is mad.

Where does the "unelected" part come from? I thought there were elections for MEPs? I can see getting mad at the Eurozone/ECB over that but for its faults the EU seems fairly democratic at least to an outside observer.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The Lord’s bar, The Bishop’s bar, The Peer’s dining room, The Peer’s guest room, The Pugin room, The Terrace Pavillion, The Stranger’s bar, The Terrace Cafeteria, The Thames Pavillion, The Speaker’s State Rooms, The River restaurant, Bellamy’s, The Debate, The Jubilee room, The Adjournment, The Member’s Dining Room, The Stranger’s Dining Room, The Sport’s and Social bar, The Inter-Parliamentary Union Room, The Churchill Room, The Cholmondeley Room, The Barry room, The Home room, The Jubilee Cafe, The Atlee Room, Millbank House Cafeteria, The River dining rooms and Moncrieffs (the club house for journalists).

My list of places is not exhaustive, as I am told that there are nearly 30 places to drink across the entire parliamentary estate.

Imagine being a bartender there and how hard you'd have to resist the temptation to slip Lord South Wark an emetic.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

For sure she's got that sword right? I mean realistically she could definitely get away with stabbing one politician as a 9ne time thing

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Gaukler posted:

Where does the "unelected" part come from? I thought there were elections for MEPs? I can see getting mad at the Eurozone/ECB over that but for its faults the EU seems fairly democratic at least to an outside observer.
But sometimes the EP votes for things that the UK doesn't want, and that's tyranny, don't you see?

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

FMguru posted:

But sometimes the EP votes for things that the UK doesn't want, and that's tyranny, don't you see?

Sounds like democracy to me :shrug:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Gaukler posted:

We didn't vote in every single person who works for the EU down to the guy assigned the job of cleaning the toilets after Farage has had an ale poo poo, so they are unelected and undemocratic.

gently caress this bullshit I'm gonna get drunk in the sun

https://youtu.be/3NPxqXMZq7o

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

univbee posted:

Wife's FB friend is mad.

I think this calls for a simple "You mad", possibly in image form.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

She must unleash the corgis

MPs coming together to murder the vicious little beasts. The occasional 'accident' as one MP knocks another into the sea of pirahna pooches. Glorious.

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Do gammons also get mad at the unelected UN telling them how they can and cannot treat immigrants, PoWs, prisoners, etc, or do they just ignore them and get a pass because lol what's the UN gonna do, write a letter about it?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The UN is fine because it gives the UK vastly outsized power. Second raters with a permanent seat, makes the whole thing a joke really.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gaukler posted:

europarliament is one out of seven institutions, of which i believe only two are elected in any real sense

brexit being a moronic idea should not absolve nor disguise the eu being awful

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/rosschawkins/status/1111668336692203520

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Number19 posted:

the problem with a throne speech is that it has to be voted on and pass. if it doesn’t the government immediately falls and you go to an election

It's not entirely clear that that's the case constitutionally post-FTPA, and opinion generally leans towards the idea that a failed Queen's speech wouldn't automatically cause a government to collapse any more, but it would put intense pressure on the PM to resign which she uh doesn't seem too responsive to so far

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Relevant Tangent posted:

The UN is fine because it gives the UK vastly outsized power. Second raters with a permanent seat, makes the whole thing a joke really.

the UK should lose its UNSC seat after Brexit and it goes to Brussels

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

euphronius posted:

the UK should lose its UNSC seat after Brexit and it goes to Brussels

India. Or anywhere else the UK had a colony but India would be the best.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

India works

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
so proud to post here with other members of the brexit flowchart community

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol who is pulling these probabilities out of their rear end

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Arguably the European Parliament is the EU's least democratically legitimate Institution die to the way its swayed in favor of small Member States, while the Commission, Council et al. can derive their legitimation from the individual Member State governments.

Basically, if you wanna find a hook for calling the EU undemocratic you gonna find some way to do it. Or you just randomly foam at the mouth while jerking yourself off to your German queen and being bombed during the Blitz.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

india getting the UK's permanent UNSC seat probably wouldn't be good for the india/pakistan situation

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Shear Modulus posted:

https://jonworth.eu/brexit-where-now-the-flow-diagrams/

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah sure the votes on april 1st having a 90% probability of reaching a consensus and a 10% probability of failing to reach a consensus sounds believable

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

also who's giving anything less than the hardest brexit more than zero percent

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Give the seat to me

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah sure the votes on april 1st having a 90% probability of reaching a consensus and a 10% probability of failing to reach a consensus sounds believable

april fools! :xd:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

???? mean “means” surely?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

What if the entire house gets infested with pox

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
turgid brexit

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Sekenr posted:

What if the entire house gets infested with pox

A pox, how delightful, a pox

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

univbee posted:

Wife's FB friend is mad.

if we no deal brexit the first deal the tories make is with the US. this is what they want https://ustr.gov/sites/default/files/Summary_of_U.S.-UK_Negotiating_Objectives.pdf link him that

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The CUK Party will save us.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

THEN YOU ADD KURT ANGLE TO THE MIX,

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
everyone has a plan until they get punched by a mace

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

univbee posted:

Wife's FB friend is mad.

it's easy to live in a cage when you're the skeleton for companionship alongside the living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

sorry labour, im a cuk tiger now