Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Thanks for the explanation(s), maybe my misunderstanding the mechanics of AND is why I've been having trouble with some puzzles.. and yeah I saw the actual solution and was like...wait why does that work? Now I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think I might have encountered a glitch? Either way, I need help with the Depths
So I'm pretty sure I beat all the levels and touched the flag, which got me back to ??? and Orb, but I keep hearing about path to Meta level, and I really have no idea how to get it. Looking at guides, there seems to be a fifth extra level in Depths? I found one stream where the person completed Buried Treasure, and a dotted line appeared towards the flag, which got him to the next level. For some reason that doesn't happen for me, and I wonder if I'm missing something. Is it only after completing all previous zones/levels, or something? I haven't 100% a lot, but didn't even reach the goal on ABC because holy poo poo I can't think that way. Oh, also I never completed that Finale level, which might be a thing for that?
I'd go to other places, but since I'm afraid it's a glitch, I'd rather hear confirmation now, since I don't want to bash my head against everything only to get nowhere

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Montalvo posted:

I give up, I'm going to bed.
I just got this game (after seeing SGF play it) and it's loving phenomenal but yeah, taking a break once you've had a good run and are stuck staring at a wall is a genuine pro-tip. Figuring out Prison after coming back from a break made me feel pretty drat great. I'm sure things will only get more complex from here-on out.

Huge respect to the dev for making probably the smartest game i've ever seen, i've been recommending it to people left and right. Anyway this thread is looking like a cursed CIA document (though i recognize some of the more-mind-bendy level names) so i'll probably avoid lurking it until i've actually worked my way through most of it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

this was probably already posted here at some point but

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I just got this game (after seeing SGF play it) and it's loving phenomenal but yeah, taking a break once you've had a good run and are stuck staring at a wall is a genuine pro-tip. Figuring out Prison after coming back from a break made me feel pretty drat great. I'm sure things will only get more complex from here-on out.

Huge respect to the dev for making probably the smartest game i've ever seen, i've been recommending it to people left and right. Anyway this thread is looking like a cursed CIA document (though i recognize some of the more-mind-bendy level names) so i'll probably avoid lurking it until i've actually worked my way through most of it.

The only problem I'm having is that as I get further into the game, sessions where I have a good run are getting increasingly rare. The last three times I've booted up the game I've failed to solve any of the ~10 or so puzzles available to me, and quit. It's a little frustrating.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
What on earth is this Mean Fence level... Nobody has asked for help here or in the Steam hints thread, which makes me think there must be something really obvious I'm missing, but the only action I can take other than moving (which empties me) is pushing the WIN block, which also ends up emptying me... unless I push it to the sides, but as far as I can tell that won't do anything.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Argue posted:

What on earth is this Mean Fence level... Nobody has asked for help here or in the Steam hints thread, which makes me think there must be something really obvious I'm missing, but the only action I can take other than moving (which empties me) is pushing the WIN block, which also ends up emptying me... unless I push it to the sides, but as far as I can tell that won't do anything.

It's not really that obvious, but there is something you can do if you think about what exactly makes Baba disappear
Bigger hint that might as well be a solution: you can use little outcrop for a sharp U-turn. Since you don't FACE the wall, but instead enter it while looking forward, to a tile where there's no wall, it doesn't empty you

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
e: double post

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I got to the stage that's also a level. Am I just not Sokobanning well enough to get the key out? I can't figure a way to get the skull past the top-left baba while baba is push. Also the level in the rock is killing me.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Qylvaran posted:

I got to the stage that's also a level. Am I just not Sokobanning well enough to get the key out? I can't figure a way to get the skull past the top-left baba while baba is push. Also the level in the rock is killing me.
Nah, Sokoban shouldn't be the issue there. You should be able to do something else about those babas.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 29, 2019

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Vookatos posted:

Nah, Sokoban shouldn't be the issue there. You should be able to do something else about those babas.

Thanks for the hint, but I figured it out right after I posted. Still have no clue about the other one.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 29, 2019

Teapot Child
Oct 13, 2015

McFrugal posted:

How far are you able to get?

Not far. Push the box into the water, it starts the path but heart drops out to defeat. I imagine I'm supposed to duplicate boxes somehow, but I can't see how.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 29, 2019

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

phrojoe posted:

Not far. Push the box into the water, it starts the path but heart drops out to defeat. I imagine I'm supposed to duplicate boxes somehow, but I can't see how.

Remember that YOU does not have to remain whatever it starts as.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

phrojoe posted:

Don't break the box.

Teapot Child
Oct 13, 2015

Thank you both, got it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Please put even the smallest most obscure hints and descriptions of your steps in spoiler tags. This is crucial. People playing the game want to talk about it and ask for advice without risking seeing even the slightest hint of a level they haven't gotten to yet. Being surprised is a big part of playing this game and if somebody wants to see the small hint they'll hover over the tag. I edited the posts above with that in mind.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 29, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Welp, I just accidentally made the statement NOT BABA IS YOU

My head hurts

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Arist posted:

My head hurts

This is my most favorite thing I've come across so far.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Oh dear. New patch, Insulation changed. The only two solutions I knew of no longer work.
edit: looked it up and one of the old solutions still kindof works. Man I hate this a lot though. It makes no sense for you to be able to swap onto a STOP object. Alternatively, swapping said object onto you makes more sense and thankfully that solution is still possible to an extent, and doesn't require a double swap, but instead involves a somewhat unintuitive use of command priority. I just hate SWAP in general though.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 30, 2019

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Arist posted:

My head hurts

Just wait until you have to wrap your brain around EMPTY is PUSH.

Things I've turned into levels in Depths:
ROCK (still no lightbulbs on this one).
Both BABA.

Things I've made from levels:
SKULL.
ME.
The word LEVEL.

I haven't done anything with that extra IS in the corner with the 1-dot level. I feel like it wants to help me make FLAG is LEVEL, but I can't see a way to get LEVEL into position. I've beaten all the levels I've found on the screen save the rock one, and I don't see any more stuff to be made.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there levels with two ands? Like ROCK AND FLAG IS PUSH AND PULL or something?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I know the game concept and puzzles get a boatload of very justified praise, but can i just throw in another post of appreciation for how much i like the music? It reminds me of my favorite minimalist/lofi stuff like Downwell's razer girl or UT's Mysterious Place/Quiet Water , and i've been listening to it a ton beyond my 6+ hours of playtime.

Also throwing in my vote to keep earlier versions of puzzles as a "Lost Levels" kind of (hidden?) chapter or something, maybe even with a developer comment/note on why they got changed or removed, i'm an absolute sucker for semi-behind-the-scenes stuff like that.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 30, 2019

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I bought this on a whim in advance of a flight tomorrow, and I'm loving it. I haven't played a puzzle game in long while.

Is this all-ages appropriate? I'm considering introducing it to the school I work at (the kids would be exceptional at this), but I thought I saw a screenshot in the thread that had some text that went rear end is EAT.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it is all ages and that's an impressively dumb question

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Grass is Defeat.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

flatluigi posted:

it is all ages and that's an impressively dumb question

Hey, I had to be absolutely sure. If it somehow wasn’t, it’d be my head on a platter.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No the cute puzzle game does not in fact include the phrase rear end IS EAT

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

No the cute puzzle game does not in fact include the phrase rear end IS EAT

Alright, thank you. I must have read that screenshot wrong.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

It was probably a humorous edit

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
It's 2019 grandpa, Baba is You now.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

BearDrivingTruck posted:

It was accidentally cropped that way from Grass is Defeat, the game is very cute and totally inoffensive.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Regy Rusty posted:

It was probably a humorous edit

Not so much an edit as an unfortunately (?) cropped one.

pre:
GR  is DEF
rear end    EAT

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh lmao

I don't think I actually noticed the image in question but that makes sense

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think rear end is EAT would just make rear end into a Pac Man-like creature, and I doubt I want that

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 30, 2019

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hi i accidentally clicked on this thread instead of the chat thread but if the thread title doesn't get changed to BABA is YOU and rear end is EAT it seems like a failure on your guy's part

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

For what it's worth, "Defeat" used to be "Kill" but I changed it because while the latter implied the functionality better, I wanted to make the game less violent.

McFrugal posted:

Oh dear. New patch, Insulation changed. The only two solutions I knew of no longer work.
edit: looked it up and one of the old solutions still kindof works. Man I hate this a lot though. It makes no sense for you to be able to swap onto a STOP object. Alternatively, swapping said object onto you makes more sense and thankfully that solution is still possible to an extent, and doesn't require a double swap, but instead involves a somewhat unintuitive use of command priority. I just hate SWAP in general though.

I can't seem to be able to make the level work as intended, so at this point I'm kinda contemplating just changing it altogether.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Hempuli posted:

For what it's worth, "Defeat" used to be "Kill" but I changed it because while the latter implied the functionality better, I wanted to make the game less violent.

I can't seem to be able to make the level work as intended, so at this point I'm kinda contemplating just changing it altogether.

Was the intended solution to have the skull move onto Baba from inside a wall, so you swap into the wall and can walk out?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Was the intended solution to have the skull move onto Baba from inside a wall, so you swap into the wall and can walk out?

Yup! Still relatively janky, I suppose.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hempuli posted:

Yup! Still relatively janky, I suppose.

Huh, that's the solution I eventually ended up with after hours of banging my head against the wall (both in-game and IRL), it's hard to believe after all that that there were even more possible solutions I missed.

And this is on the Switch version, so no patches yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
This might be obvious and spelled out, but I can't figure out the rules with sink (may apply to other properties, though) which is making it hard to puzzle through;[incredibly early spoilers just in case]if something is sink, does it cause that object to sink in water? Or does it cause it to sink other objects? Example is Icy Lake-1. Baba is sink causes me to fall in the water, but then Jelly is also sink, which causes it to sink the word WALL when I push it into a jellyfish, so I'm not sure what sink means: does it mean the object will sink in water, or that it will sink other objects?I think it means both since I can walk on water once I remove sink from myself, but it's not made clear, so I can't tell if I made a rock sink later whether it would sink something or if it would sink in water....

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 31, 2019