Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Wooly World was really painfully mediocre and unoriginal level wise outside like... 2 stages that stood out to me and even 100%ing it was super easy.

Crafted Worlds level themes at least look more interesting so at least it has that. I'm picking it up later but not expecting much given how Good Feel seems to prioritize "make it cute" over substance.
Can't wait to see that exciting giant baby bowser fight for the 20th time haha.

Yea I agree with all of that. I got it so my son and I could play through it, he loves them and is obviously the target age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Can confirm SNK Heroines is pretty bad, thankfully it was only 15 bux

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Chronojam posted:

FF9 is a steampunkish setting (the invention of steam powered airships is a plot point) with fixed (but clear) job classes. A black mage is readily identifiable, a white mage wears the classic robe for some scenes, a dragoon has the look, etc. Characters, plot, or equipment from past games are referenced directly, by name-dropping and background legends, or otherwise.

If you played FF 4, 5, 6 you'd pick up on lots.

Huh ok sounds like it's up my alley. Is there actual continuity or is it just like "look that engineer is named Cid lmbo"

thanks goons who answered

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

What if I really liked the latest Kirby game, even the super easy progressing-through-the-campaign part of it?

Would you recommend Yoshi then?
https://twitter.com/CrawfishPrime/status/1111650634485264385
Definitely. Game is charming as all hell.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No continuity, though technically according to Final Fantasy 4 The After Years most of the games worlds are different planets in a single universe that were seeded with life and crystals by an ancient alien race resulting in parallel evolution lines.

But that's a dumb phone game you can ignore it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The only canonical continuity is Theatrhythm

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Actually FFVII is canonically a sequel to X-2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I always thought that one weird place you couldn't fly your airship through in FF8 was the impact crater from FF7

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Huh ok sounds like it's up my alley. Is there actual continuity or is it just like "look that engineer is named Cid lmbo"

thanks goons who answered

Theres no continuity and FF9s callbacks are basically "did you play FF3 and remember a song? What about the bosses from FF1" its honestly weird to me when people say its a throwback to the classic games when its not particularly more referential than any other.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Barudak posted:

Theres no continuity and FF9s callbacks are basically "did you play FF3 and remember a song? What about the bosses from FF1" its honestly weird to me when people say its a throwback to the classic games when its not particularly more referential than any other.

It's because basically every single thing in FF9 is a callback. It's a mechanical throwback too, as it went back to defined classes after FF7 & 8 (and 6 if we're being honest), but that's not so apparent anymore.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I just wish these yoshi games had some actual music instead of dumb sleepy toddler noises. Yes I know the game is cute as hell but so is Kirby.
The original Yoshi’s Island had some of Koji’s Kondo’s best work :cmon:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

The only canonical continuity is Theatrhythm

where's my Switch sequel square

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oh dang, didn't realize there was a demo, I'll download it tonight, thanks!

Sorry, I took a look and there don’t appear to be any publicly facing demos currently, that might have just been something they only brought to conventions, since they had me play it on pc with my choice of inputs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

It's because basically every single thing in FF9 is a callback. It's a mechanical throwback too, as it went back to defined classes after FF7 & 8 (and 6 if we're being honest), but that's not so apparent anymore.

Its not mechanically a throwback though; weapons synthesis is new, weapon skills becoming character skills is an iterative idea but still new, trance is iterative but again new, the atb a system not in 1-3 got revised again for this one, the minigames are new, and the card game has new rules.

The throw back is basically limited to the end of the game being poorly explained, classes more in line with ffv but still tweaked, some bosses, and a few extra item names.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

9's UI feels more "classic" they took a classic jRPG and slammed the stuff they had learned from 6-8 into it along with a few other improvements. It works well, it's aged well. There's nothing really experimental going on. 7, 8 and 10 all have interesting systems that feel unique and experimental. They are the reason I feel in love with the series.

I just like weird progression systems.

9 Aged the best and is probably the most playable unless you want to mess around with ideas that haven't really been repeated other than 10's sphere grid which has been used in a few games but nothing with the locking gates which were rather annoying bit but without them it's a bit overwhelming (see PoE)

night slime
May 14, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

Can confirm SNK Heroines is pretty bad, thankfully it was only 15 bux

Making combos in training mode is fun at least. Where did you get it for $15?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I always thought that one weird place you couldn't fly your airship through in FF8 was the impact crater from FF7

This sort of thing was like nectar from the loving gods to me when I was 13 ish, and god drat I am cross that I'm now 32 and still going "OMG yeah it might be. That's so cool!"

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Augus posted:

I just wish these yoshi games had some actual music instead of dumb sleepy toddler noises. Yes I know the game is cute as hell but so is Kirby.

It's a god drat shame Nintendo doesn't have Kondo composing anything anymore.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Augus posted:

No joke, that was practically the only reason I bought the SNES Mini, the other games were just a nice bonus as was the ability to stack it up with more junk.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I never played X but I did play The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, which I mean, apparently is the same mechanics? Which I liked, so I'm sure I'd like X. I remember getting invested watching my best friend beat the Blitzball league so as to get some weapon or something. He'd play that and I'd play FE 7 on my GBA SP. Those were the days.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Augus posted:

flower garden is definitely one of the best video game tunes ever

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Caves and Fortress are the best YI songs cause of how moody they are.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a pretty good chance Compile Heart will announce a port of Mary Skelter Nightmares 2 for Switch in a few hours.
https://twitter.com/CompileHeartWeb/status/1111523771163131904

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

American McGay posted:

Caves and Fortress are the best YI songs cause of how moody they are.

You wanna talk moody, with regards to a Kirby/Yoshi game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuj1bQrBy74

This just comes across as something that was meant for an RPG or a similar game. I absolutely love it, and how different it is from the rest of the soundtrack, which while great is really fast and upbeat and not this weird almost introspective-sounding track.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

night slime posted:

Making combos in training mode is fun at least. Where did you get it for $15?

Weekly sale at Play Asia. Only played an hour but I'll keep trying, very simplistic the with poor graphics /load times though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the most important mechanical throwback in ff9 is giving you a four person party, not that three person nonsense in most of the other post-6 games

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Yoshi has literally been for kids for the last 25 years. Not all-ages. Kids

Crafted World looks like an interactive art piece which is cool, but I wouldn't dunk 80 dollars on it unless you have a 7 y/o

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spellman posted:

Yoshi has literally been for kids for the last 25 years. Not all-ages. Kids

Crafted World looks like an interactive art piece which is cool, but I wouldn't dunk 80 dollars on it unless you have a 7 y/o
Cool wrong opinion.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

American McGay posted:

Cool wrong opinion.

The Shy Guy Yoshi is ok, ok

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Dehry posted:

There's a pretty good chance Compile Heart will announce a port of Mary Skelter Nightmares 2 for Switch in a few hours.
https://twitter.com/CompileHeartWeb/status/1111523771163131904

I always get excited for new game announcements and then everytime the art loads in and my eyes instantly glaze over.

What I'm saying is death to all anime

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Shy Guy Yoshi is just further proof that it's not a game made for children because that's nightmare fuel.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

No continuity, though technically according to Final Fantasy 4 The After Years most of the games worlds are different planets in a single universe that were seeded with life and crystals by an ancient alien race resulting in parallel evolution lines.

But that's a dumb phone game you can ignore it.

Wasn't it dissidia final fantasy that had that plot about the crystals or whatever?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Ineffiable posted:

Wasn't it dissidia final fantasy that had that plot about the crystals or whatever?

They both did, but handled them very differently. FFIV The After Year’s basically retcons every previous game and it’s extremely bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Speaking of FF4 side projects, where’s my Switch port of Free Enterprise?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They both did, but handled them very differently. FFIV The After Year’s basically retcons every previous game and it’s extremely bad.

It didn't even make sense because, what crystals in FF6?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Magicite is just mini-crystals

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF2 doesn’t have crystals either, just dead people.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mega64 posted:

Dead from Crystal meth overdoses

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Augus posted:

I just wish these yoshi games had some actual music instead of dumb sleepy toddler noises.

The last one did!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVl89DJu1Ms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Mega64 posted:

I tried to play that dawn of souls extra part but I unequipped all my extra characters before they died so I literally couldn’t even beat the first battle.