Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Barent posted:

But MUH ART

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A Dark Souls where all the numbers were the same except you only take 1 damage from enemy attacks would be a fundamentally different game, because vast amounts of its mechanics become irrelevant.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Dabir posted:

A Dark Souls where all the numbers were the same except you only take 1 damage from enemy attacks would be a fundamentally different game, because vast amounts of its mechanics become irrelevant.

Then don't play on that mode.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

SgtSteel91 posted:

But I do wonder if adding an easy mode would inform developer decisions with, say, enemy placements or boss mechanics, even unconsciously.

It should, because they should be thinking about it regardless. I'll just keep pointing towards DMC5 a bunch while this discussion happens.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Dabir posted:

They don’t have to be this extreme either. Reducing enemy damage by even 25 percent would change the nature of the game!

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

CuddlyZombie posted:

They don’t have to be this extreme either. Reducing enemy damage by even 25 percent would change the nature of the game!

Who cares? YOU DONT HAVE TO PLAY ON THAT MODE

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
again i will point to celeste as a game that is punishingly difficult and also has a robust assist/easy mode. if there were no assist mode, i probably wouldnt have noticed it. the fact that it is there has only made me think huh, that's nice. i have not heard anyone suggest that celeste is compromised either as a piece of art or a gameplay experience due to the existence of the assist mode. your idea that adding an easy mode fundamentally changes it as a piece of art is, at the least, not objectively true.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

Fortunately there are options for difficulty other than "nothing can ever do anything to you"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dabir posted:

That's reducing the argument to the absurd, and somehow it STILL doesn't change the fact that you have the option to just...not do that.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Then don't play on that mode.

The way I take it to mean is that the person who played Darks Souls on normal mode and fell in love with the series is not going to be the same experience the person who played the same game on easy mode is going to have.

But maybe the person who plays on easy mode isn’t into learning the combat mechanics like the person who plays it on normal and rather look at the scenery or collect all the items for lore

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Frankly, all this proves is that Souls Fans Are The Worst, as it's always been my personal belief.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

The way I take it to mean is that the person who played Darks Souls on easy mode and fell in love with the series is not going to be the same experience the person who played the same game on easy mode is going to have.

But maybe the person who plays on easy mode isn’t into learning the combat mechanics like the person who plays it on normal and rather look at the scenery or collect all the items for lore

Exactly.

The person who beat all of the bosses covering in a corner while summoned players did all the work also had a fundamentally different experience than I did beating the game by myself.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

somepartsareme posted:

again i will point to celeste as a game that is punishingly difficult and also has a robust assist/easy mode. if there were no assist mode, i probably wouldnt have noticed it. the fact that it is there has only made me think huh, that's nice. i have not heard anyone suggest that celeste is compromised either as a piece of art or a gameplay experience due to the existence of the assist mode. your idea that adding an easy mode fundamentally changes it as a piece of art is, at the least, not objectively true.

The assist mode in Celeste ultimately didn’t hurt me but it sure made me enjoy the opening less, it made me wonder if the game would eventually use it as a crutch for an uneven difficulty curve which made me more reluctant to engage it in its own terms. Fortunately as I played it turned out not to be the case but I would have had a smoother beginner experience without it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My stake in this convo is that DMC5 is cool

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

CuddlyZombie posted:

I think hacking in cheat engine or whatever makes no sense and is a ridiculous thing to do, you’re just ruining it for yourself, like spoiling the mystery at the end of a mystery novel, only at least with that you can look out for foreshadowing I guess

And man I can’t change what dataminers or hackers do but it’s pretty obvious that if the game is tampered with at that point it’s a mod

So the only difference between ruining the game for the real gamers and ruining the game for yourself is the tacit approval of the creator. You’re arguing for the creators to ostracize less capable players so more capable players can feel superior. Gross.

Andrast posted:

also bring back cheat codes

Punch in the Konami code on the title screen, and the title becomes Sekiro die Thirty Times. That way five year old Mystic Mongol can see the whole game, and Real Gamers don’t have to share their big boy games with... other people who also bought those games for their own computers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm just making the point that "just changing numbers" actually does alter a game more significantly than you might realise. Not going to come down on either side of this argument.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Captain Baal posted:

My stake in this convo is that DMC5 is cool

I mean honestly that’s mine too. Go play DMC5 everyone. It has difficulty modes! Even harder ones too if you want!!!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Mystic Mongol posted:

So the only difference between ruining the game for the real gamers and ruining the game for yourself is the tacit approval of the creator. You’re arguing for the creators to ostracize less capable players so more capable players can feel superior. Gross.

The gross thing is putting words in my mouth. Knock that poo poo off. How is that at all what I said.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Dias posted:

It should, because they should be thinking about it regardless. I'll just keep pointing towards DMC5 a bunch while this discussion happens.

How does DMC5 do it?

Isn’t there some mechanic where the combat music gets added to/better the higher your combo rank? Does the easy mode there disable that or something so you can hear the SSS version of the music no matter your skill level?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah I have a hard time enjoying bayonetta and dmc because even when I beat it I feel unaccomplished for not getting a good grade. It made me drop off of bayo 2 completely and while I got dmc5 I haven’t felt the desire to get far into it.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I’ve also hear from the Gamer crowd to watch a gameplay movie/Let’s Play

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's pretty hosed that people are actively arguing in favor of gatekeeping art itt

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

CuddlyZombie posted:

The assist mode in Celeste ultimately didn’t hurt me but it sure made me enjoy the opening less, it made me wonder if the game would eventually use it as a crutch for an uneven difficulty curve which made me more reluctant to engage it in its own terms. Fortunately as I played it turned out not to be the case but I would have had a smoother beginner experience without it.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Yeah I have a hard time enjoying bayonetta and dmc because even when I beat it I feel unaccomplished for not getting a good grade. It made me drop off of bayo 2 completely and while I got dmc5 I haven’t felt the desire to get far into it.

it sounds like this might be your own problem

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

somepartsareme posted:

it sounds like this might be your own problem

Only as far as souls games not having easy modes is your own.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

:rolleyes:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

:colbert:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

You just know if the next soulsborne game had selectable difficulties, these same people would say the normal mode sucks because the overall game had to be ‘dumbed down’ for the easy mode

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Roth posted:

It's pretty hosed that people are actively arguing in favor of gatekeeping art itt

its more like wishing picasso paintings had less weird versions for easier interpretation

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

its more like wishing picasso paintings had less weird versions for easier interpretation

Yes that's exactly it good job

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

CuddlyZombie posted:

people being prevented from enjoying fun games because they can't handle the mechanical difficulty for whatever reason and the devs didnt make any allowance for that, versus you preventing yourself from enjoying fun games because a ranking system makes you feel inferior or something

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
looking at guernica and wishing it had labels on it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

somepartsareme posted:

people being prevented from enjoying fun games because they can't handle the mechanical difficulty for whatever reason and the devs didnt make any allowance for that, versus you preventing yourself from enjoying fun games because a ranking system makes you feel inferior or something

the argument is that its less fun and harder to enjoy if the difficulty is scaled back

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
a thesis yet to be disproven

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Is Sekiro less art for those people who are at good games than people who suck and die a lot so they need to overcome the challenge more?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

scary ghost dog posted:

a thesis yet to be disproven

pls prove why having options to tune the difficulty for different peoples level of mechanical proficiency is objectively better than not having the options

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Andrast posted:

Is Sekiro less art for those people who are at good games than people who suck and die a lot so they need to overcome the challenge more?

I certainly am glad I'm not someone like LobosJr. who is so good he breezes through the games pretty much instantly.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
literally nobody is saying games should be easier across the board so more people can enjoy them. they want the option. and if the response to that is "the resources to do that aren't there" then say that instead of complaining about entitled gamers

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Andrast posted:

The paradox of the average Souls fan.

"Actually, they're very easy games. I beat every boss while blindfolded."

"Wait, no, don't include an easier version, the extreme difficulty is the point"

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

somepartsareme posted:

pls prove why having options to tune the difficulty for different peoples level of mechanical proficiency is objectively better than not having the options

It's not, though. It's subjectively better. Or subjectively worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This has gotten cyclical and dumb.