Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pyromancer posted:

Is it obvious now? Just go into bitcoin thread next to this one, they regularly bring in quotes worth a laugh

It's obvious now because the libertarians have all become fascists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

food court bailiff posted:

wait all the MMBN games? i know there was a zero collection and mmbn5 port but are the others downloadable on the eshop or something???

looks like my knowledge of what gameboy advance megaman games there are is lacking, sorry to dissapoint.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Girbot posted:

This is a big reason why TF2 is still kicking. Mobility mechanics in that game are so good it's fun to just jump around on jump maps for hours, practice which is fun on its own and translates well into the core gameplay.

This is also why people still play Titanfall 2

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ocean Book posted:

looks like my knowledge of what gameboy advance megaman games there are is lacking, sorry to dissapoint.

:( man i would love bn2 and 3 on something modern

i wish people would port old lovely horror point and clicks to the switch, there's a million of them and i'm never gonna sit at a computer and play them but adventure games are fun

newusername
Feb 20, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I'm beginning to think that i don't like Sekiro all that much.

I've finished all of the Soulsbourne games multiple times a piece but this honestly plays like i get lucky in fights more often than using any kind of skill.

Also, the jumping and grappling is more annoying than fun.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's been established in this very thread that Sekiro and Dark Souls are actually identical so you can't like one and not the other

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Fortnite is good

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I borrowed a SNES mini from a friend for going away on holiday and the best game on it is a Kirby game.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Epic's launcher\game store is trash but frankly so is Steam and the only people getting butt mad about Epic exclusives are autistic nerds who need their massive video game collection curated in a single place.

newusername
Feb 20, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, i'm done with Sekiro. I'm sure it's for someone but it sure as gently caress isn't for me.

I even looked up guides and videos to see what i'm doing wrong and i still don't get it. Chipping away at a bosses stamina bar to get a deathblow and hoping you don't get hit by a one-shot combo/strike is just tedious.

Also, the level design is pretty loving boring. Oh look, some more pagodas and mountains. Thrilling stuff.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

newusername posted:

Yeah, i'm done with Sekiro. I'm sure it's for someone but it sure as gently caress isn't for me.

I even looked up guides and videos to see what i'm doing wrong and i still don't get it. Chipping away at a bosses stamina bar to get a deathblow and hoping you don't get hit by a one-shot combo/strike is just tedious.

Also, the level design is pretty loving boring. Oh look, some more pagodas and mountains. Thrilling stuff.

Sekiro: a very hard game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkzfGVWjsUE

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Dark souls 3 has the worst ost. Went too hard on the epic orchestral sound

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

newusername posted:

The level design gets way more interesting after the first area. I was almost feeling the same way but by the time I hit the castle I felt like it was on par with the weirdness and variety of any Fromsoft game.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the first part though. probably the most tactical combat they have done to date.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

The level design gets way more interesting after the first area. I was almost feeling the same way but by the time I ht the castle I felt like it was on par with the weirdness and variety of any Fromsoft game.

I have no idea what you are talking about with the first part though. probably the most tactical combat they have done to date.

Sounds like dude isn't parrying to me

newusername
Feb 20, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

The level design gets way more interesting after the first area. I was almost feeling the same way but by the time I ht the castle I felt like it was on par with the weirdness and variety of any Fromsoft game.

I've played literally hundreds of hours of their stuff and I was eagerly waiting for this game and I've quit 3 sessions in a row now with a "gently caress this game" attitude.

It isn't even slightly enjoyable. The combat is tactical right up until a boss randomly one shots/combos you to death in the middle of an exchange by breaking their normal attack patterns/animations. As I said, any wins I've had so far feel like pure dumb luck.

I might give it a shot again tomorrow but I'll probably just trade it in against the new Yoshi game for the switch and replay one of the other Fromsoft games after I finish that.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Sekiro is a game i knew would feel like tedious bullshit so I've just ignored its existence. I even muted the word from my twitter timeline which feels over the top but there we are

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

newusername posted:

I've played literally hundreds of hours of their stuff and I was eagerly waiting for this game and I've quit 3 sessions in a row now with a "gently caress this game" attitude.

It isn't even slightly enjoyable. The combat is tactical right up until a boss randomly one shots/combos you to death in the middle of an exchange by breaking their normal attack patterns/animations. As I said, any wins I've had so far feel like pure dumb luck.

I might give it a shot again tomorrow but I'll probably just trade it in against the new Yoshi game for the switch and replay one of the other Fromsoft games after I finish that.

Are you on the first sub boss (the ogre)?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Epic's launcher\game store is trash but frankly so is Steam and the only people getting butt mad about Epic exclusives are autistic nerds who need their massive video game collection curated in a single place.

Unpopular opinion: Curate is a wholly appropriate word to use when talking about video games and sounds sophisticated.

OK fine I guess MoMA did a video game exhibit but using that word is still dumb when you're not at the Louvre

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Epic store is extra bad for their poor security and not having their keys sold on third party sites.

newusername
Feb 20, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

Are you on the first sub boss (the ogre)?

Passed that ages ago.

I'm somewhere between a third to halfway through the game, I think.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i mean that enemy isn't very hard but sekiro is, in fact, a really hard game

i'm almost done with it and i'll definitely admit that it approaches "pain in the rear end" territory and lacks a bit of the fun of dark souls

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love it but it can be draining. Dark Souls and Bloodborne give you a bunch of options if you don't feel like dealing with something. Sekiro you pretty much just have to slam your head against it until it's dead.

My Dark Souls approach has always been "try to solo everything until it's not fun anymore and then just summon so I can move on and start having fun again" so not having that failsafe has been an adjustment.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Private Cumshoe posted:

Unpopular opinion: Curate is a wholly appropriate word to use when talking about video games and sounds sophisticated.

OK fine I guess MoMA did a video game exhibit but using that word is still dumb when you're not at the Louvre

Cry about Epic some more, nerd.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

newusername posted:

What boss even breaks normal attack patterns? Bosses in this game are essentially a very elaborate version of Punch-Out

For what it's worth, until I really understood parries and counters and just how effective they are, I did get pretty frustrated. After I really got a grasp of the combat though it's been fantastic and it feels great to just go up to some boss and whoop its rear end knowing you can deal with anything it can do

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bio Menace is still my favourite game ever, I need to reinstall that poo poo.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

signalnoise posted:

What boss even breaks normal attack patterns? Bosses in this game are essentially a very elaborate version of Punch-Out

For what it's worth, until I really understood parries and counters and just how effective they are, I did get pretty frustrated. After I really got a grasp of the combat though it's been fantastic and it feels great to just go up to some boss and whoop its rear end knowing you can deal with anything it can do

Is the party timing/window still as brutally narrow as Dark Souls? Because you have to be some kind of time travelling hummingbird to consistently party in those games. Yes, even with the Target Shield.

And, yes, we're all very impressed with whoever "That Guy" is with 400+ hours in every Soulsborne title who will inevitably quote this and insist that they have no problem parrying anything and that the mechanic is perfect and utterly without flaw. We're all very impressed at the size your brain and penis.

But for the rest of us, is any additional leniency built into Sekiro's parrying since it's apparently so central to the game?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Time_pants posted:

Is the party timing/window still as brutally narrow as Dark Souls? Because you have to be some kind of time travelling hummingbird to consistently party in those games. Yes, even with the Target Shield.

And, yes, we're all very impressed with whoever "That Guy" is with 400+ hours in every Soulsborne title who will inevitably quote this and insist that they have no problem parrying anything and that the mechanic is perfect and utterly without flaw. We're all very impressed at the size your brain and penis.

But for the rest of us, is any additional leniency built into Sekiro's parrying since it's apparently so central to the game?

If you're having trouble with the timing your party, I suggest lining it up a few weeks in advance, and just let the chips fall as they may on who makes it. Can't please everyone, man.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Time_pants posted:

The leniency is that if you gently caress up a parry in Sekiro all that happens is you block. Block and parry are the same thing and parry is just timing the block well. Due to this, parrying all the time perfectly is unneeded as what it does is add damage to your opponents posture gauge.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Time_pants posted:

It's looser than you'd think is what I'd say. There are bosses that I straight up could not beat if I had to time parries like Dark Souls, because you have to do them repeatedly. Also, like was mentioned, if you gently caress up a parry in Sekiro all that happens is you block instead. This can be bad because a lot of attacks do less posture damage, but not zero posture damage, when you parry. However, your posture can't be broken by anything if you parry it. So there are times where I have been sitting at max posture damage knowing I'll break if I gently caress up my parry, but I just don't gently caress it up and it's all good

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I still think the game is their hardest game. All the minibosses just gently caress you up so quickly, it takes time to learn their moves properly. Maybe I'm just actually getting old and slow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sekiro sounds like it's mostly a case where it appeals to Soulsy people but also trips them up because it doesn't work exactly the same, or just different enough to be a muscle memory pain.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I still think the game is their hardest game. All the minibosses just gently caress you up so quickly, it takes time to learn their moves properly. Maybe I'm just actually getting old and slow.

I feel like it's way easier for me than seriously any of the Souls games, or Bloodborne. And honestly, I think that all these different takes on the difficulty just amounts to it being a *different style of combat* that shouldn't be directly compared for difficulty. For me, Sekiro feels much more fair than any of the previous From action RPGs. There is never a move that kills me where I don't know what I was supposed to have done.

I have said before that it's worth noting that my take on this is probably influenced by my favorite fighting game being Soul Calibur. Sekiro has the idea of "set play" and "turns" from fighting games. There's no bullshitting it, and though there are fancy things you can do and you have tools, if you don't learn the sword combat you're going to lose. I like that about this game, because there are no tricks like running directly up the stairs for the capra demon to cheese it or using a certain build or making sure you plunging attack the first taurus demon in DS1. I like that fighting toe-to-toe is generally your best option.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 31, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Private Cumshoe posted:

A curator doesn't curate, they cure :smuggo:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Serephina posted:

If you're having trouble with the timing your party, I suggest lining it up a few weeks in advance, and just let the chips fall as they may on who makes it. Can't please everyone, man.

I seriously tried so hard to avoid that autocorrect result. God drat you, Android.

Good party advice, though.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

signalnoise posted:

I feel like it's way easier for me than seriously any of the Souls games, or Bloodborne.

I guess it varies from person to person, but I don't think there are many enemies in those games that attack quite so hard and fast as the minibosses in this. Just one quick slash is over half your health and they are so aggressive.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Sekiro sounds like it's mostly a case where it appeals to Soulsy people but also trips them up because it doesn't work exactly the same, or just different enough to be a muscle memory pain.

Iirc people were saying the same thing about Bloodborne when it came out

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

2house2fly posted:

Makes sense, kind of the point of the games is that they have a very specific playstyle you need to get the hang of to be any good at even before getting into the context of individual fights. Bit like fighting games in that way. No wonder I suck at them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sekrio simultaneously feels way easier and harder than the other games, because you can one shot most regular enemies via stealth and the bosses go down pretty quick. But getting to the point where you can take a boss down quickly can be more stressful and draining than souls because you can't summon and it often involves getting wrecked 30 times along the way. Once you actually kill a boss you usually slaughter them though. There's really no plinking away at things like there is in Souls or Bloodborne. It's pretty all or nothing.

2house2fly posted:

People that claim Bloodborne is vastly different than Souls are delusional, and have done a disservice to people who rightly claim that Sekiro is different than Souls by crying wolf. Bloodborne is fast Souls with a gun parry. Sekiro has completely different combat.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 31, 2019

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

I guess it varies from person to person, but I don't think there are many enemies in those games that attack quite so hard and fast as the minibosses in this. Just one quick slash is over half your health and they are so aggressive.

Sure, but as noted in the video I posted, enemies that attack like that can be killed with parries alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018
dmc has better controls than DMC4/5.

I liked having access to most of Dante's moves without having to switch through each different style and having Nero's grab move. Sure it's missing a few moves, and the royal guard style, but I'm sure that could have been fixed or improved on in a sequel. And having a launcher button instead of a camera-dependant launcher was a huge plus in dmc over DMC4.