Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Resting Lich Face posted:

:rolleyes: who cares if an IPA is old? The style was invented so that it would be drinkable after "aging" in non-ideal conditions.

:zoid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

:rolleyes: who cares if an IPA is old? The style was invented so that it would be drinkable after "aging" in non-ideal conditions.

<in danbanana voice> let me tell you about Bell's Two Hearted...

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

Picked up a treat on the way home: Josh the Apple Baron by Clown Shoes.

Not bad. The brandy taste is a bit strong but it's not a bad thing per se. Reeeeally can't tell there's 10% ABV in this thing, this one's a dangerous one!

Troll posting on SA in TYOOL 2019.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Ooh is this where we rehash the "a brewery with good QA can make an IPA that tastes good for months" argument? I enjoyed that one.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
:siren:Hot Take:siren:

All ipas are bad regardless of age

If it makes you feel any better, my next stop is a bottle shop with hopefully fresh beers. Hot off the presses. So fresh you can tatse the racist/sexist remakrs the owners whispered into each bottle.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
IPAs are what lovely craft brewers make to sell their crap skunky poorly-brewed beer. There's no such thing as a good IPA.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Left to right:
1.Pilsner, Occidental Brewing Co.
2.Gegen den strom, Against The Grain Brewery & Freigest Brewery
3.Finish Him!, Level Beer
4.Infiltrator, Santiam Brewing Company
5.Trade War, Bend Brewing Co.
6.Nitro Irish Stout, Kells Brewery
3 stouts, 1 pilsner, 1 Bohemian Style Pilsner, 1 Zerbster Bitterbier.

The bottle shop had some Breakside, but I'd rather go to the actual brewery soon! Wish me luck and let me know if I bought a beer thats actually 10 months old

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

<in danbanana voice> let me tell you about Bell's Two Hearted...

Hey, my response to this would be more like "actually that thing about the origin of IPAs is a myth." I'd also probably pull out my goto "time changes all beers, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse" rant.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Myth or not it doesn't make it a good type of beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I would probably also make comments about while many styles have very particular characteristics that define them, the breadth of variation in what are considered IPAs makes it pretty much impossible to apply some monolithic statement like "they're all bad."

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like to add that all sours are also bad. Trust my opinion, me, a random internet poster who drinks king kobras. I'm a somewhat of a connoisseur you see...

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

danbanana posted:

I would probably also make comments about while many styles have very particular characteristics that define them, the breadth of variation in what are considered IPAs makes it pretty much impossible to apply some monolithic statement like "they're all bad."

I disagree

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[taking every kind of IPA in the world and putting it in a large dumpster and burying it in the earth to rot] finally giving IPAs the aging they deserve

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Control Volume posted:

[taking every kind of IPA in the world and putting it in a large dumpster and burying it in the earth to rot] finally giving IPAs the aging they deserve

ah, the Atari Method

MR.CAT, i don't think anyone mentioned them, but you should be drinking pFriem beers. it's on the Hood River just a bit east of the city and apparently it's beautiful, so if you have a car you can maybe hoodwink your wife into going to the brewery, too.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Control Volume posted:

You kids would appreciate modern IPAs more if you lived through the IBU Wars of the early 2010’s! You ever watch your best mate get his palate blown up on a 100 IBU double!?

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

My first reaction upon seeing this was "Oh boy this is gonna be good" and ~12 hours later, I am not disappointed.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

LeafHouse posted:

You kids would appreciate modern IPAs more if you lived through the IBU Wars of the early 2010’s! You ever watch your best mate get his palate blown up on a 100 IBU double!?

I remember being really excited to taste the Mikkeller 1000 IBU beer. It was a simpler time.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

internet celebrity posted:

I remember being really excited to taste the Mikkeller 1000 IBU beer. It was a simpler time.

I remember the amount of Chinook and cascade hops used being selling points. Life was hard for us paleboyz back then.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

funkybottoms posted:

ah, the Atari Method

MR.CAT, i don't think anyone mentioned them, but you should be drinking pFriem beers. it's on the Hood River just a bit east of the city and apparently it's beautiful, so if you have a car you can maybe hoodwink your wife into going to the brewery, too.

This is true, pfriem also started canning their IPA and pilsner recently

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

LeafHouse posted:

I love how my neighborhood taproom has nailed doing haze consistently along with a straight up west coast classic with all kinds of c hops and I plan to drink these side by side later :cheerdoge:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I apologize on the behalf of the west coasts for the west coast style ipa.

Turns out my wife DOES NOT like milkshake ipas. Even after I told her many times it's not how it seems. Shes a trooper, aka stubborn, and cracked it open and gave it a swig. :goofy:

Ill finish it later.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Last night had a bit of a tasting. High light was Spontan Fermier from Side Project. Low light was the Marz Blueberry Pazcki stout which had clearly gone bad in some weird way because it poured like literal syrup. It was the most viscus beer I've ever seen.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

funkybottoms posted:

ah, the Atari Method

pFriem is cool and good but Hood River is like over an hour east of Portland and if you're going that way anyways you should say gently caress beer and check out all the cool rear end waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ChiTownEddie posted:

Last night had a bit of a tasting. High light was Spontan Fermier from Side Project. Low light was the Marz Blueberry Pazcki stout which had clearly gone bad in some weird way because it poured like literal syrup. It was the most viscus beer I've ever seen.

Thats genius.

"Try our new pastry stout! It has heavy maple undertones!"

*gives you a Mrs. Butterworth syrup bottle with new label poorly slapped on it*

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I'm going to be in New Orleans for 3-4 days next month. I know that NOLA isn't really a big 'beer town' per se, but are there any bars/breweries/beers I should be on the lookout for?
We'll be staying at the edge of the quarter, probably won't have access to a car other than Uber.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I'm going to be in New Orleans for 3-4 days next month. I know that NOLA isn't really a big 'beer town' per se, but are there any bars/breweries/beers I should be on the lookout for?
We'll be staying at the edge of the quarter, probably won't have access to a car other than Uber.

Avenue Pub- it's on St Charles, so the streetcar takes you right there. Stein's Market and Deli has a great bottle selection and isn't too far of a walk from there, and Surrey's Juice bar is awesome and also nearby, not to mention Magazine Street in the Garden District is cool as hell in general. Parkway has dope po-boys and you could walk there pretty easily from the Quarter, although Domilise's are my favorite (pro tip: you will smell like a fryer when you walk out of there). as for breweries, Courtyard, Parish, and Canebreak were the cool guys a couple years back, but i'm not sure if something else has come along in the meantime.

MunchE posted:

pFriem is cool and good but Hood River is like over an hour east of Portland and if you're going that way anyways you should say gently caress beer and check out all the cool rear end waterfalls in the Columbia River Gorge

missed this: i've never been there and didn't realize how far out it is- i've had enough Portland folks talk about what a nice spot it is that i assumed it was closer

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 29, 2019

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I thought I didn't like hops and then I tried some of the Lagunitas hop water and it turns out I just don't like beer

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Lol

Jorge Von Bacon
Nov 1, 2010

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Courtyard was the best brewery I went to in the city itself - they have a ton of guest taps in addition to their own and a really nice space

of the others I went to in the city: NOLA is good if you like sours, Brieux Carre wasn't anything special

St Lawrence on Peters was a really great beer bar in the French Quarter

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Yeah, Courtyard is worth a visit. Keep an eye out for anything from Parish and Great Raft, Southern Prohibition does good stuff too and is easily found. I've heard NOLA Brewing has been doing good stuff too.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Beer!? Just get a gallon jug of daiquiri and call it a day/week.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

My love of upslope brewing has led to the questionable decision of buying batch 1000, a 17.5% bba ale, but the clowns at upslope hosed it up and accidentally made a Weird Porto

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

And in case it was ambiguous, do not under any circumstance buy this beer. It had almost 0 carbonation and you might as well just shell out for a good port

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

Listen to this man. He knows what he's talking about.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

"Try our new pastry stout! It has heavy maple undertones!"

*gives you a Mrs. Butterworth syrup bottle with new label poorly slapped on it*

You made it to Great Notion, I see.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Current beer:

Delicious.

Also managed to snag up a pFriem Golden Coffee Pale. Thanks for all these recommendations.

Again, these are from stopping by local bottle shops. Still have to go to the breweries proper.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 29, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Beer!? Just get a gallon jug of daiquiri and call it a day/week.

For real tho

Go to a drive through daiquiri place and get lit on a 32oz hurricane at 7am like I used to for tailgating at LSU when I lived nearby.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:siren:Hot Take:siren:
All ipas are bad regardless of age

De Ranke XX Bitter is a pretty good IPA.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I don't need to add anything to the details already provided, they are all solid for breweries and bars. I'll just throw this out there:

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/entertainment_life/food_restaurants/article_e5dac42c-3baa-11e9-8901-f756dd0388e7.html

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

drat, now I want a Huge rear end Beer ™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
The last three four-packs I've bought in recent times were local lagers.

Good poo poo.