Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Digital_Jesus posted:

As someone who just moved from a 2015 MBPR to a 2018/2019 model... The keyboard isn't as good as the the 2015s, however its still perfectly servicable. What is not at all acceptable, however, is this loving garbage dick rear end piece of trash OLED bar.

I have wasted more time with this stupid oled touch bar inputting poo poo because my fingers had the audacity to graze the surface of it. I wish I could just turn the loving thing off. Its horrid. Since my hands are fairly large when I contort them to enter keyboard shortcuts I frequently wind up with my ring or small finger grazing or resting over the F keys. Since they're a loving touch bar instead of a goddamn actual key now it inputs whatever my finger touches every time.

The oled bar is completely useless and apple should have dropped the thing like the hot steaming sack of poo poo it is as soon as they modified the drat laptop to put the rubber bits around the keys so your pop tart crumbs stop bricking your laptop.

Tim Cook sucks.

Also make a loving iPad Pro that runs touch-enabled OSX with two USB-C ports you assholes. I'm tired of carrying a laptop just to console cable into things and I don't want a drat surface because Windows sucks more than this oled touch bar.

I like the travel/feel of the new keyboards, but it's clear they need to address the reliability concerns so we aren't all stuck without out laptops for a week because of a spec of dust.

Install BetterTouchTool and leave the TouchBar blank unless you activate it while holding down fn/command/option or whatever.

Tablet hybrids are stupid and I don't understand why people want to cover their laptop in fingerprints when we have this beautiful interface called the TrackPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Won’t the Apple ARM replacement chips be smaller than Intel CPU’s? Apple’s waiting until the transition to shave 4mm and then add 3mm back for a decent keyboard.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Also make a loving iPad Pro that runs touch-enabled OSX with two USB-C ports you assholes. I'm tired of carrying a laptop just to console cable into things and I don't want a drat surface because Windows sucks more than this oled touch bar.

Isn’t there an adapter that lets you console from iPads? That may be Cisco devices only though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also they could make a Qi charger pad and catch up to 5 year old technolo — oh wait lol

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Spending nearly two years in a product and not releasing even a dumbed-down version of that product is truely brave.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably not an uncommon thing to happen.. the rare part is it is a product that was already announced.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

kefkafloyd posted:

Apple's released laptop versions that were thicker than the previous ones, but it's been over a decade since they did that.

I too dig the thin-n-light factor of the 13 inch MBP (compared to my previous 2011 13 inch MBP, that thing feels like a brick now) but if they kept the weight the same and made it a millimeter thicker or whatever I'd be cool with it.

Truthfully the worst thing about the new keyboards is the fact that the cursor keys don't have half-height left and right arrow keys. That pisses me off a lot more than the travel.

truly some 2008 hp tier loving bullshit right there

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

xzzy posted:

Probably not an uncommon thing to happen.. the rare part is it is a product that was already announced.

They also show the thing on the new Air pod packaging so it must have been really far along.

eames
May 9, 2009

Gerard Williams III, who led the design of every Apple chip core from the A7 to the A12X, departed the company last month, CNET has learned.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Okay here’s a weird problem I’ve encountered I’m trying to create a Windows 10 boot disk using boot camp, I downloaded the iso, went through the process and it won’t finish as it says it can’t save the support software.
I’ve tried a few things but can’t get it to work, one guide online suggests going into safe mode but for some reason it won’t it just hangs on the apple loading screen when the bar gets about 2 thirds through.
This is all very frustrating...any ideas?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Not good.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

For whom? He oversaw miniaturization during a stagnation of processor capabilities that are now capped out on efficiency. Normal user processor performance is nowhere near full utilization. We're just gonna see bigger batteries instead of billions in R&D to eke out 10% greater efficiency in a chip.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

For whom? He oversaw miniaturization during a stagnation of processor capabilities that are now capped out on efficiency. Normal user processor performance is nowhere near full utilization. We're just gonna see bigger batteries instead of billions in R&D to eke out 10% greater efficiency in a chip.
Uhhhh

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

The "why" is he leaving seems super important, and the why did not seem obviously stated in the article. Unless he just wants to be the new "Jim Keller - mercenary CPU designer".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Some people at that level just get bored after a while and want to find new opportunities. Nothing too much to read into it.

Apple has something like 1000 engineers just working on chip design, they’ll be fine.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
For example they lost Chris Lattner, the superstar engineer/manager responsible for LLVM, Clang, and Swift. (Extremely key programming language tools if you have no idea what those are.) He just wanted to do something different than he’d been doing for 10+ years at Apple, so he left to join Tesla.

(Unfortunately for Chris, the grass wasn’t greener because Elon Musk is a total dipshit. He was out in less than a year. I think, but am not sure, that he’s back at Apple now.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Holy poo poo look at this great new hub it has everything you ever wanted for only $99.99!

https://www.hypershop.com/blogs/news/hyper-releases-the-mother-of-all-usb-c-hubs

April Fools!

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Holy poo poo look at this great new hub it has everything you ever wanted for only $99.99!

https://www.hypershop.com/blogs/news/hyper-releases-the-mother-of-all-usb-c-hubs

April Fools!

There are probably some people who would actually want that product.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's missing this though.

https://twitter.com/GraceSpelman/status/1112746622138621958

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

BobHoward posted:

For example they lost Chris Lattner, the superstar engineer/manager responsible for LLVM, Clang, and Swift. (Extremely key programming language tools if you have no idea what those are.) He just wanted to do something different than he’d been doing for 10+ years at Apple, so he left to join Tesla.

(Unfortunately for Chris, the grass wasn’t greener because Elon Musk is a total dipshit. He was out in less than a year. I think, but am not sure, that he’s back at Apple now.)

hes at google now leading tensorflow support

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

gently caress, I hate that thing. Genius move Lenovo, coming out with a new OneLink connector for literally one generation of laptop before you realize the whole idea is trash and use TB3 instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If connectors weren't in a constant transition phase, no one would buy new computers so it's all they got to keep shilling their junk.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Binary Badger posted:

April Fools!

No S-Video, no sale!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Binary Badger posted:

April Fools!
PS/2 but no ADB? What the gently caress is this bullshit :mad:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

TealShark posted:

No S-Video, no sale!

Ah, go buy an SGI Indy if you want S-Video

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

stevewm posted:

There are probably some people who would actually want that product.

How many hours of battery life does it buy you since logically most of the bulk comes from the giant UPS battery that's powered by that AC jack right?

Seriously though, my rMBP 2013 has the ports that anyone actually cares about (USBA, SD Card Reader, HDMI) and it's 1/4" thicker who gives a poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I assume the GeekPort is on the other side

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
My portable Mac is a 15" 2016 MacBook Pro.

I shoot a Nikon D850 tethered to it for my work, and recently have found that its struggling to keep up in Lightroom. I can't always wait to get back to my iMac (a 2017 5K) which crunches through the files no trouble.

2 Questions:
Is there a site I can use to compare speeds to a current gen 15" to see if an upgrade would bring enough of a meaningful difference?

Are we X months from a significant upgrade in terms of speed or design and I should just suck it up for a while longer?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Binary Badger posted:

Ah, go buy an SGI Indy if you want S-Video

Nah, you just need a good old AlBook.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

April Fools!

Take that and swap the floppy for an EGPU and you have a product that (as long as it was priced under $500) I think a lot of people would actually consider buying. All the current EGPUs suffer some combination of taking up a lot of desk space, being absurdly expensive even empty, or for some stupid reason sharing a single Thunderbolt controller for the graphics card and the USB ports so you can't actually use the ports in the box without everything stuttering constantly.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 2, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeast posted:

2 Questions:
Is there a site I can use to compare speeds to a current gen 15" to see if an upgrade would bring enough of a meaningful difference?

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks

Going by the scores, what, a 10% difference? Wouldn't be enough for me unless I was super obsessive about HEVC hardware assisted playback, which I'm not.

quote:

Are we X months from a significant upgrade in terms of speed or design and I should just suck it up for a while longer?

IMHO hold off on possibly a new design rMBP, maybe 16 inches screen this summer? Even if so, they'll likely keep selling the 2018s until no one buys them anymore..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 2, 2019

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Yeast posted:

My portable Mac is a 15" 2016 MacBook Pro.

I shoot a Nikon D850 tethered to it for my work, and recently have found that its struggling to keep up in Lightroom. I can't always wait to get back to my iMac (a 2017 5K) which crunches through the files no trouble.

2 Questions:

Are your workloads commensurately larger or more taxing than they were before? Maybe something’s slowing down your current machine.

That said, you can get something waaaaay more powerful (i9, Vega GPU) but it will cost $$$$$. The performance gains are somewhat less epic among the lower spec 2018s

eames
May 9, 2009

Friendly warning: I just picked up one of the new Lacie Mobile USB-C Drives (4TB) because that's all my local Apple Store had in stock. I noticed that transfer rates oscillated between 50 and 100 MB/s during the initial sequential write, slowing down to 25 MB/s towards the end.
Turns out that they contain 2.5" Seagate drives with Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR). Both Lacie and Seagate hide this fact in their datasheets.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Even if the 16" MBP comes out this year you should never buy a first gen product because they always, ALWAYS, have problems.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

Friendly warning: I just picked up one of the new Lacie Mobile USB-C Drives (4TB) because that's all my local Apple Store had in stock. I noticed that transfer rates oscillated between 50 and 100 MB/s during the initial sequential write, slowing down to 25 MB/s towards the end.
Turns out that they contain 2.5" Seagate drives with Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR). Both Lacie and Seagate hide this fact in their datasheets.

I have one of those but in USB 3.0 and it hits around 125 read. Were you expecting TB3 SSD speeds?

eames
May 9, 2009

tuyop posted:

I have one of those but in USB 3.0 and it hits around 125 read. Were you expecting TB3 SSD speeds?

No, I just wasn't expecting a drive with SMR (Seagate used to call these "archival grade" a while ago). I'm sure it has a pretty huge cache to hide the SMR performance characteristics, so many users may never notice, but uninterrupted sequential writes slow down below 25 MB/s when it fills up.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Mu Zeta posted:

Even if the 16" MBP comes out this year you should never buy a first gen product because they always, ALWAYS, have problems.

Might not have any choice, this 2012 MBP is getting long in the tooth. :smithicide:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Yeast posted:

Intel is coming out with their first new microarchitecture since Skylake (from four years ago) and whatever new features they include with the next gen stuff...but the timetable for MBPs with them would probably be more like early 2020 (at the earliest), depending when Intel actually delivers the higher power variants, and if/when Apple wants to come out with an update with them.

Mu Zeta posted:

There’s some gray areas here since there’s been redesigns with samey tech inside, and other updates where it’s the opposite, where the shell looks the same but it’s been significantly updated internally. Macs get updated so infrequently at this point that any revision can change enough to have completely new issues.

At this point I just wait a bit for the early adopters to deal with and report on whatever possible early production hiccups (or questions I have) and decide from there. I’d be particularly curious about the keyboard whenever they redesign the thing.

If there’s a keyboard at all. Or if it even has an Intel chip :tinfoil:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Apple needs to gently caress off the Touch Bar, but I have this lovely feeling someday it'll grow to replace the entire keyboard.

"What? You chuckleheads kept complaining about the keyboards, look, we took the physical keys away? Aren't you happy?!"

Apple also needs to start doing things in this order:

design good hardware, layout

make sure all technical issues are ironed out

don't bring in Ive until the very last second when its too late for him to do anything that affects the first two

release the fucker

At the current moment, it's the opposite order.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's gonna be an oled keyboard with little silicone bubbles for keys. And haptic feedback for when you mush the little breast implants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Now that bendy screens are a thing, it's not inconceivable to imagine that in a few years the entire inside surface of a Mac could be a single flexible display. The bottom half could be set up to look like the keyboard and trackpad we have now, and if you open it all the way it transforms into a gargantuan iPad.