Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Video game consoles must be abbreviated to 3 characters. It is the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Huxley posted:

10 is the only FF with anything remotely close to a good story

They're all kinda bad except the one you played as a teenager

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Supercar Gautier posted:

FF7 and FF9 both have this problem where the introductory plot and aesthetic give way to something else that isn't as fun. In 7 it's like "hell yeah punk eco-terrorists fighting the corporate overlords", but then that gets ditched so you can chase a supervillain around the world. In 9 it's like "hell yeah fanciful muppet-y swashbuckling adventures", but then there's mostly a bunch of death and it finishes on an awkwardly-explained sci-fi nonsense plot.

What was even the deal with the final boss in 9? "Hey, good job killing the villain. I was watching from the bleachers and I noticed you all fight and die a lot, so here's me dropping in to threaten all existence. That's MY thing, I guess."

Basically they destroy the crystal and it unleashes Necron, a terrible being who wants to destroy everything? I think? Idk. He was trapped in the Crystal and Kuja was tying to release him to get revenge on Garland or some poo poo I don’t really know.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LethalGeek posted:

They're all kinda bad except the one you played as a teenager

I never played one as a teenager.

7 and 10 are pretty good tho.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I used a Bowser amiibo in the Yoshi game and got a costume and was like "oh!" so I grabbed Bowser Jr hoping to get a clown copter costume but he only provides the basic "amiibo package" costume that most amiibos will give you :(

Supercar Gautier posted:

FF7 and FF9 both have this problem where the introductory plot and aesthetic give way to something else that isn't as fun. In 7 it's like "hell yeah punk eco-terrorists fighting the corporate overlords", but then that gets ditched so you can chase a supervillain around the world. In 9 it's like "hell yeah fanciful muppet-y swashbuckling adventures", but then there's mostly a bunch of death and it finishes on an awkwardly-explained sci-fi nonsense plot.

Oh man I don't agree with this at all. The first time I played the game my mind was blown when you left Midgar for the first time because I thought the game was gonna be increasingly difficult series of reactor explosions. But then you take that rope down and suddenly you're OUTSIDE the gate, and there's a world map and and there's this huge world outside of the city. I was blown away, I had no idea we were gonna be taken out of Midgar at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Every FF that I’ve played is good imo except for 2 and 3. But I haven’t played either of the MMO’s or the 13 trilogy. 4-10 are a pretty amazing sequence of games (yes 8 is good too)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I have never played a single Final Fantasy game.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Wow yeah that’s very similar.

Hey why do they abbreviate it GCN and not just GC?

Also why is it PSX instead of PS1?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It was PSX and then they came out with a PSX so now it's PS1.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

American McGay posted:

I have never played a single Final Fantasy game.

Have I got a console for you

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Have I got a console for you
I already own an Xbox One.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

American McGay posted:

I already own an Xbox One.

I’m very sorry

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Me: "Free Nintendo Online? Well, I wasn't going to join but I do like free things..."

[Goes through the silly twitch prime link thing and then links it to the Nintendo account.]

Nintendo: "Now give us your credit card so we can autocharge you when this runs out!"

Me: :fuckoff:

Eh, I'd only get my butt kicked in Tetris 99, anyway.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Supercar Gautier posted:

FF7 and FF9 both have this problem where the introductory plot and aesthetic give way to something else that isn't as fun. In 7 it's like "hell yeah punk eco-terrorists fighting the corporate overlords", but then that gets ditched so you can chase a supervillain around the world.

That got ditched, because the characters' motivations changed. I mean, yeah, fight the power, but when the power gets murdered in his own office by the dude who set your house on fire, your priorities get shifted around. I guess it kinda sucks if you just wanted the game to be in Midgar forever, though.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Random Stranger posted:

Me: "Free Nintendo Online? Well, I wasn't going to join but I do like free things..."

[Goes through the silly twitch prime link thing and then links it to the Nintendo account.]

Nintendo: "Now give us your credit card so we can autocharge you when this runs out!"

You can immediately go to your account management and shut auto renew off and delete your credit card.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

It's 20 bucks for the year my dude

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Random Stranger posted:

You could always set a reminder in your calendar to cancel autocharge right before it's about to renew.

Gutcruncher posted:

You can immediately go to your account management and shut auto renew off and delete your credit card.

or this. Do this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

Okay, that's not completely horrible then. I've seen enough companies behave lovely with autorenewal that it's a giant red flag for me.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Gutcruncher posted:

Confirm that this solution exists and does not penalize you for turning renew off early.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well, with the immediately and easily delete your details info I went ahead and signed up and confirmed my suspicions. I could only get third in Tetris 99.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"only" like that's a trivial task

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I'f I'm already on a family plan, is there any way I can gift my free sub to someone else?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Tom Gorman posted:

From what I remember, Nintendo wanted NGC for Nintendo GameCube but that was trademarked by the National Geographic Channel. So they made it GameCube Nintendo, they really wanted the N in there.

Nintendo Switch in 2019: They Really Wanted The N In There

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

LethalGeek posted:

"only" like that's a trivial task

Yeah, "only". You only gotta navigate to the options menu, find subscription, find the edit payment info button, find the 20x20 pixel "delete payment info" button, be asked if you REALLY want to delete that info, be given an offer to keep your payment info on hand (only 15 bucks for 1 year instead of 20!), be reminded what you lose out when the sub runs out, be asked if you REALLY want to delete it, then have to punch in the card's zip code to confirm you want to remove it.

Why yes I DID cancel my Amazon Prime recently!

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Leal posted:

Yeah, "only". You only gotta navigate to the options menu, find subscription, find the edit payment info button, find the 20x20 pixel "delete payment info" button, be asked if you REALLY want to delete that info, be given an offer to keep your payment info on hand (only 15 bucks for 1 year instead of 20!), be reminded what you lose out when the sub runs out, be asked if you REALLY want to delete it, then have to punch in the card's zip code to confirm you want to remove it.

I think he’s being snarky about “only got third”

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Hes talkin about "only" getting 3rd in tetris dum dum

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Anybody got thoughts on the new yoshi? I've been on the fence about it.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Leal posted:

that sounds exhauting! who could manage?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Geo Fixer posted:

It's an incredibly easy, chill game in the same style as Yoshi's Wooly World or Kirby's Epic Yarn. It has a billion collectables. The game is very pretty, the music isn't good. The platforming is easy. If that's what you're looking for, go for it. If you want more of a challenge at all beyond the collectables you won't find it here. 100%ing the game involves going through the same levels like 5 or 6 times, both normal and flipped versions. I'm totally down for this game just like I was Wooly World, but it's not gonna be for everyone.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

numerrik posted:

I think he’s being snarky about “only got third”

Kly posted:

Hes talkin about "only" getting 3rd in tetris dum dum

:saddowns:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm missing some red coins and a flower in a stage so that's fun, least they aren't all out in the open like they were in Wooly World.

This music is actual dogshit though.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the direction Yoshi music went is something I don’t at all get

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
My roommate is looking into getting a Switch of his own so he doesn't have to be miserable when I take our Smash Bros. machine out of town.

Are there any cool deals/bundles I'm overlooking out there or is it just "hey, go get a switch"

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Wait until e3 or the potential new switch announcements will make them bitter

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Andrast posted:

final fantasies with job systems

the other ones

This guy gets it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Geo Fixer posted:

It’s fun but it’s still no Yoshi’s Island 1. It’s worth playing just to see how creative the backgrounds are for each new stage. I haven’t beaten it yet but I have a feeling that I’ll rank it just below Woolly World but higher than Story.

Story is good. Shut up.:colbert:

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I like FF7s japanese cyberpunk but also fantasy vibe. It's crazy how much better they got at modelling by 9 though.

The whole process of doing those prerendered backgrounds facinates me, especially on slower hardware.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 30, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I tired to roll out of the way of something above me in Yoshi as if I was playing Smash :geno:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Trasson posted:

My roommate is looking into getting a Switch of his own so he doesn't have to be miserable when I take our Smash Bros. machine out of town.

Are there any cool deals/bundles I'm overlooking out there or is it just "hey, go get a switch"

i think the $35 eshop bundle is the best because you're getting free cash and you can spend it on whatever. It might be out of stock at most places but I read some headline that some smaller retailers had them so it's worth searching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

These are problems on all the current edition of those games.

So no they didn't fix them for switch.

They fixed em on PC and I think PS4 so I guess I'll skip on Switch.