Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Astro7x posted:

Just want to say how frustrating it is trying to find HDR content on Amazon. Especially if you're used to Netflix and it just works. Every show has a separate HDR show page, and it doesn't always come up when you search for the show name.

I have better luck using InstantWatcher to search for what I want in HDR, use that to go to the Amazon page, add it to a list, then go into the Amazon App on the TV and play from my watch list.

I'd recommend checking out The Grand Tour Season 1 Ep 1 @ the 7 minute-ish mark there is a trailer for the upcoming season that is super cool to watch in HDR. Start it a bit early and give it time to buffer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MPWCB3F/ref=atv_feed_catalog&tag=iw_prime_tv-20&ref_=asc_homepage

Finding HDR content on Amazon was terrible, both on a browser and through Roku. I emailed them feedback about it but I'm sure it'll take years for them to actually build in the content in a smart way.

I think the market is just hilariously small so there's no incentive to tighten up the integration. No one but us cares about this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Astro7x posted:

Just want to say how frustrating it is trying to find HDR content on Amazon.

I used to have this problem with the Amazon app on my Sony TV (Android) but on the TCL it was just right on the home screen. Not sure if the different platforms have something to do with it or not.

edit: Oh, it's because I only watch the Grand Tour and it was in my 'watch next' queue. :downs:

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 20, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Xbox One S does Dolby Vision for streaming but not discs right? I'm debating between that and a Sony X700 player and want to make sure I get the best one. I *want* to be able to play a few games, but I've always sold my past systems because I just don't typically have the time with kids to play.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

TheWevel posted:

Download the Roku app on your phone and use the advanced menu to tweak the picture settings. I used the rtings settings as my baseline and have my tv on the darkest setting and it looks great. The Dolby Vision app kind of blows as far as demo content goes so I recommend to watch Netflix or Amazon HDR shows (the Grand Tour is good for testing) for better demos.

FYI the settings on rtings are for movie mode, dark. They have separate HDR recommendations, including turning up the TV to brightest and a couple other things.

It was unexpectedly complicated. And, unfortunately, if you’re switching between HD and 4K/HDR stuff, you’ll need to make some (quick) adjustments each time.

At least, that’s how I understood it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 65S517 $580 shipped with code

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

crestfallen posted:

FYI the settings on rtings are for movie mode, dark. They have separate HDR recommendations, including turning up the TV to brightest and a couple other things.

It was unexpectedly complicated. And, unfortunately, if you’re switching between HD and 4K/HDR stuff, you’ll need to make some (quick) adjustments each time.

At least, that’s how I understood it.

Best settings for HDR are picture mode: dark HDR, brightness: brighter, local contrast: high, dynamic contrast: off, and color temp: warm. The settings in the Roku app seem to only apply to SDR, but I have gamma there set to 1.4. Don't gently caress with the color value numbers unless you have a colorimeter.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My wife and I have decided that the time has finally come to cut the cord. I know of things like Roku, SlingTV, Hulu, playstation VUE, etc, but I don't really know anything about them.

It's also time for us to finally upgrade our TV now that 4k prices have become reasonable, and it seems like a lot of new smart TV's come with this stuff built-in.

The "important" things for us are:

-"Networks" - ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS. (This is the biggest hang-up that has kept us from ditching DirectTV so far. We live in an area unserviced by HD-Antenna broadcast.)
-NHL Hockey
-AMC shows (which needn't be "live". I'm perfectly happy waiting until they're on Prime or Netflix or whatever and binging a season.)

I have Amazon Prime already, so I'm vaguely aware of what they have to offer. I've had Netflix in the past and know pretty much how that works. Roku, Hulu, etc are totally unknown to me beyond the fact that they exist.

If there's another thread this should be in, just let me know!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Weltlich posted:

If there's another thread this should be in, just let me know!

Fool around with http://suppose.tv and then head to the Cutting Cable Thread to discuss your plan

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Weltlich posted:

The "important" things for us are:

-"Networks" - ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS. (This is the biggest hang-up that has kept us from ditching DirectTV so far. We live in an area unserviced by HD-Antenna broadcast.)
You live too far away from any station to get a signal?

I know the pain. All my life, I could never get CBS because the nearest station is about 80 miles away. It would really suck to not get ANY OTA signals :smith:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Fool around with http://suppose.tv and then head to the Cutting Cable Thread to discuss your plan

Thanks!

pwn posted:

You live too far away from any station to get a signal?

I know the pain. All my life, I could never get CBS because the nearest station is about 80 miles away. It would really suck to not get ANY OTA signals :smith:

Yep :(

I'm in a mountain region, and the hills block signal from nearly any tower.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Weltlich posted:

I'm in a mountain region, and the hills block signal from nearly any tower.

Maybe this will change with ATSC3! But I doubt it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 65S421 $500 shipped from Best Buy

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

At this rate it will soon be cheaper to put screens all over your walls than to put up wallpaper.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

LG 65" C8 $1,799 shipped

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We ended up going with the TCL 55R615. Ran out to Burlington today and got it at Best Buy for $550

So far so good! Looks great, I don't see any "vertical lines" like some users complained of on Amazon. I have a hunch that those complaints might be damage from last-mile delivery by UPS/FedEx beating them around on a delivery route.

Anyway, we're watching Planet Earth to try and fine tune the settings, both video and sound. If there's anything that isn't obvious that I should fiddle with, let me know. Otherwise it seems pretty intuitive.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
min definitely has the dirty screen banding. Ugh. I kind of let it go the first few days but it's starting to bother me.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Weltlich posted:

We ended up going with the TCL 55R615. Ran out to Burlington today and got it at Best Buy for $550

So far so good! Looks great, I don't see any "vertical lines" like some users complained of on Amazon. I have a hunch that those complaints might be damage from last-mile delivery by UPS/FedEx beating them around on a delivery route.

Anyway, we're watching Planet Earth to try and fine tune the settings, both video and sound. If there's anything that isn't obvious that I should fiddle with, let me know. Otherwise it seems pretty intuitive.

Nah bro it's not from delivery damage. It is absolutely a lottery because of the manufacturing method. Have you looked at a solid grey screen on yours yet?

Here are some screens you can try in the first 15 secs or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEsCprsVJaQ

I went through the TCL warranty process to get a better panel because I tired of it after the BB return policy ended. They did some cursory pushing back before they picked the TV up and sent me a check. I bought another and it's significantly better, still has a little banding though.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 25, 2019

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Something Offal posted:

Nah bro it's not from delivery damage. It is absolutely a lottery because of the manufacturing method. Have you looked at a solid grey screen on yours yet?

Here are some screens you can try in the first 15 secs or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEsCprsVJaQ

I went through the TCL warranty process to get a better panel because I tired of it after the BB return policy ended. They did some cursory pushing back before they picked the TV up and sent me a check. I bought another and it's significantly better, still has a little banding though.

That's good to know. I'll give that a shot this evening and see what happens.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone got recommendations for soundbars? Under £100 if possible.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Grab whatever name brand is on sale at euro walmart

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Gort posted:

Anyone got recommendations for soundbars? Under £100 if possible.

Having gone a little too deep down the rabbit hole researching soundbars a few months ago, for under £100 they're all much of a muchness. They'll be a basic improvement on your TV's sound, but will be lacking in bass, features, audio quality and connectivity options.

If I was you I'd definitely try to save a little more money and get the Q Acoustics M4 for £190. By all accounts it blows all other sound bars under £300 and many more expensive ones out of the water when it comes to sound quality. Also, it has a built in subwoofer which for me is a plus because I don't want to have to deal with a separate ugly black box somewhere in my TV setup. It's great for music playback as well apparently.

I went a bit over the top and ended up buying the Samsung HW-MS650, which while pricier than I thought I was willing to spend at £300 was still £200 less than it was at release, and is still considered one of the best all around soundbars on the market, even compared to much more expensive models. And I'm definitely glad I saved for it, as it's the best I've ever heard music sound. My only regret is not living somewhere I can turn it up to wall shaking volumes without risk of eviction.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I have the TCL 55R615. I have Plex. When streaming a movie, I notice the audio sometimes lags the video a bit. The sound can cut out for like a second like 2x or 3x over the course of a movie. So not often but enough to notice.

These are 1080p streams, confirmed direct play. Not super high bitrate, like 8 Mbps. These same videos did NOT do this when played via a Roku Streaming Stick+ on an older 1080p TV. Both wireless.

Is it a processing power thing on the TV? Any other ideas to troubleshoot?

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

crestfallen posted:

Is it a processing power thing on the TV? Any other ideas to troubleshoot?

I've had similar issues before in basically exactly the same situation as you mentioned, just with a different TV(Sony 900E) and it always gets fixed by resetting the TV or resetting the app/closing other background apps. So I've always leaned towards the processing power on the TV or the network capabilities of the TV being the culprit in as you suggested. Much the same as you, when I run it off my laptop to the TV I never have any issues, when I run it off my amazon fire stick to that TV I don't have any problems, when I run it off my Nvidia shield to that TV it never has any problems, not sure how it could be anything else.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Just had a line of bright pixels appear on my LG B7 which i've otherwise babied, feels bad man

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

:siren: update: i ran the pixel refresher and it disappeared :shrug:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Sphyre posted:

:siren: update: i ran the pixel refresher and it disappeared :shrug:

Post it on craigslist stat :v:

Make sure to include the line "no random vertical line of broken pixels" so people know it's a good buy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's possible it was just the backplane glitching and the panel refresh initiated a hard reset of the TV. I've had inverse colors pop up before that goes away after hard power cycling and I'm not alone in that.

I've seen the single line or pixels pop up on AVS before and I don't think it ever led to a terminal TV.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Posting just to give it up for my man Sphyre for fixing that problem. I read the first post this morning getting ready for work and it bummed me out lol

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Variable 5 posted:

Make sure to include the line "no random vertical line of broken pixels" so people know it's a good buy

:hmmyes:

beep by grandpa posted:

Posting just to give it up for my man Sphyre for fixing that problem. I read the first post this morning getting ready for work and it bummed me out lol

🥰

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TheWevel posted:

The Dolby Vision app kind of blows as far as demo content goes

I'm sorry but it's obvious you haven't smoked a huge amount of weed and played that one of colored paint and synth music playing over and over again because it's great.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Thanks for the suggestions on the audio lag. I did some searching online too, apparently this is not uncommon on TCL Roku TVs. It’s been sorta unaddressed for over a year. Not encouraging.

My setup uses TV > optical > receiver for audio. TV audio currently set to DD+ and DTS.

I need to try 2 things:

1/ don’t change anything on TV. Send audio to receiver via HDMI instead. See what happens.

2/ keep HDMI, set TV to auto detect.

3/ change TV to just DD. This would mean some of my tips will transcode audio, but that’s okay.

🤞🏽

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 55R617 $490 after code, free shipping

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Can someone recommend me a tv? Looking to spend around 750 bucks at Best Buy in gift cards. I play lots of video games and watch YouTube tv on it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Can someone recommend me a tv? Looking to spend around 750 bucks at Best Buy in gift cards. I play lots of video games and watch YouTube tv on it.

Most likely the TCL 6 series. You can get the 55 inch for around 600 and the 65 inch for around 800. They are the best bang for the buck in that price range.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what would cause this? Looking at the built in Samsung channel guide the TV looks like this.

https://i.imgur.com/HN5QNVKr.jpg

When I try to view like Netflix or an HDMI device, it looks like this.

https://i.imgur.com/hwn8ecKr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/21dslBhr.jpg

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

lol HELP

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Sphyre posted:

lol HELP

F

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
if you get a line on your tv like that oled above and you have a extended warranty will it cover that?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

703 posted:

if you get a line on your tv like that oled above and you have a extended warranty will it cover that?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
What the heck causes that? Is the standard warranty on one of these things 1 year, so if this happens after like 1.5 years and you have no extended warranty you are SOL?