Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

dogstile posted:

Showed someone at work this, in the course of an hour i'd recruited 4 dudes, hired some mercs and went after Tora as a sort of scripted "here this is something you can do to speedrun the early game".

Lost all my mercs, my guys and my legs. KENSHI

New thread subtitle right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

People getting up and not staying down stops being as much of a problem once you skill up some and get some decent edged weapons. Once you can wade into a group of whatevers and dismember them with a couple swings you don't really have to worry about them getting up after for the most part.

High hp animals that are hard to properly kill have the auto kill option by removing their tasty meats when they go down.

When I go through a holy nation patrol I generally don't have to knock anyone short of a high paladin more than once, and if they do get back up they are probably really hosed up anyways since okran disapproves of armoring your limbs apparently.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

okran disapproves of armoring your limbs apparently.

Okran also disapproves of prosthetic limbs. Praise be unto Okran! :downs:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still wish there was a difference between "hiver poo poo" and "actual robot arms" to the okranites

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

dogstile posted:

I still wish there was a difference between "hiver poo poo" and "actual robot arms" to the okranites

Speaking of which, is there a way to craft actual robot arms as opposed to the Hiver limbs which are basically just fancy sticks

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Speaking of which, is there a way to craft actual robot arms as opposed to the Hiver limbs which are basically just fancy sticks

It will come eventually in your research tree.
You will need items from dangerous jaunts to learn the ability.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there any way to reset AI routines? I bought a bunch of slaves, but their 'join or flee' AI doesn't seem to be triggering, possibly because I saved and reloaded in the middle of a city.

EDIT: Asking because they're following my sole Skeleton dude, and I'm heading to the Black Desert.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

OgNar posted:

Hmm, weird. Seems very Kenshi of them to have three different methods of causing research to unlock, one of which (hiding robot limbs behind research of lesser robot limbs) directly contrasts with another (tech level 6 letting you get Edgewalker weapons even with no previous weapon research completed)

CommissarMega posted:

Is there any way to reset AI routines? I bought a bunch of slaves, but their 'join or flee' AI doesn't seem to be triggering, possibly because I saved and reloaded in the middle of a city.

Do you have your own base? You could try making a new jail cell for them and immediately letting them go? I don't know what jailing someone in your own cells does, can you actually capture your own slaves from bandits or tech hunters and stuff and force them to do your yard work?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any mods I should install before my first real game?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: Asking because they're following my sole Skeleton dude, and I'm heading to the Black Desert.

sounds like your problem is going to sort itself out pretty soon

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Do you have your own base? You could try making a new jail cell for them and immediately letting them go? I don't know what jailing someone in your own cells does, can you actually capture your own slaves from bandits or tech hunters and stuff and force them to do your yard work?

I do yeah, and maybe I'll give the jail cell thing a try. I don't think you can recruit bandits and such without a mod though.

Babe Magnet posted:

sounds like your problem is going to sort itself out pretty soon

:mad:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Hmm, weird. Seems very Kenshi of them to have three different methods of causing research to unlock, one of which (hiding robot limbs behind research of lesser robot limbs) directly contrasts with another (tech level 6 letting you get Edgewalker weapons even with no previous weapon research completed)

Did you unlock the hiver limbs? It should be the next step after that using AI Cores. There's a total of like 3 sets of legs to unlock and 2-3 sets of arms.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

Are there any mods I should install before my first real game?

Blood Spider attack range for sure, right now they've got jedi powers

Max Squad size one is a good option, by default you can have a total of 30 people in your squad and the mod ups it to 255. This pairs well with mods that let you recruit people you imprison, adds another dimension to the game of trying to defeat strong enemies in hopes they join you, which can be a nice alternative to stat grinding. I also highly recommend the texture compression mod because my game CHUGS after a while without it, especially if my whole team isn't on the same screen. I like the Better Crop Fences one too, farms are hard to see without it but it's a purely visual mod.

There's been a lot of talk on this/the last page about Assassination mods so read that to get an idea of the pros/cons. In terms of actual gameplay mechanics, certain skill trainers could be helpful, it's more of a convenience thing than something that actually gives you a real advantage - training strength without a modded training station just consists of having your guys walk back and forth for a while with a heavy backpack and armor, and the training only goes up so high. Enhanced Shopping Economy makes NPCs have more money to buy stuff with, which makes it actually viable to open up a shop in town if you're interested in that sort of thing. AnimalTraders/TameableBeasts might be a bit unbalanced (lets you buy monsters as pets) but would be fun.

IMO, one of the most drastic balance changing mods that a lot of people swear by is Moisture Farming. For reference, you need water to grow crops, which is used for growing food but most importantly, growing hemp/cotton for making Fabric which is needed for both Armor AND Weapons. However, 90% of towns don't have Wells, meaning you have no way of getting your own water. Some towns have rain where you can use rain collectors, but towns where it actually rains is pretty small, limited even further by the number of buildings you can buy that actually have roofs. The main city you're expected to sort of expand on that has a ton of buyable buildings is literally called The Hub, but there are no wells and no rain. You can go outside the city limits and build wells, but this counts as making an Outpost and will spawn bandit raiders and tax collectors and other severe annoyances. Granted, everyone is going to eventually want to make an outpost eventually for mining purposes, but not being able to grow your own food really limits your squad size and is a huge pain and was the final straw that made me leave the Hub behind and make my own base.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

OgNar posted:

Did you unlock the hiver limbs? It should be the next step after that using AI Cores. There's a total of like 3 sets of legs to unlock and 2-3 sets of arms.

I have the option to research them but the tech tree is empty outside of that. I just figured that the 90% of the other tech works (Iron Plates IV shows up even if you haven't researched Iron Plates I) they would show up, so I didn't want to spend the research cost getting Hive legs/arms if better options didn't exist

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

OgNar posted:

Alternatively, make a trip to Mongrel or Black Desert City occasionally as they sell mastercraft limbs there. Out of the two, BDC is the easier one. Just need a jacket and hat to be immune to the acid, and the enemies are slow there. Plus the scrapyard is there.

Or, alternatively alternatively, buy the 1 house available in BDC, and set a single dude there with a place to sit (and with his job to sit there when idle), a chest to store stuff, and full barrel of food. Then just check the stores whenever you want, and send an occasional caravan to pick up bought items and drop off food. As a bonus you can check the scrap yard occasionally for edge 3 weapons. If you do it with a skelly, you don't even need the food.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 30, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

With enough research you can eventually make all of the limbs except the thievery/crossbow arms. Also, Edge weapons aren't really worth the high cost to unlock because they don't get the 10% cut damage bonus that real Edgewalker weapons do, and a skilled smith will crank out a high proportion of Edge I weapons as critical successes at the next tier down.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
I'm curious why the City Heroes are tolerated by the UC. They don't seem to get along with anyone very well and are pretty much bandits.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Amuys posted:

I'm curious why the City Heroes are tolerated by the UC. They don't seem to get along with anyone very well and are pretty much bandits.

Because they provide easy scapegoats for the UC nobles to point at (i.e. other races). Read the state sponsored newspaper for further examples.

I honestly rate the UC lower than the Holy Nation, and I gotta say that takes effort. At least they're honest in their fuckery.

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 30, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

mauman posted:

Because they provide easy scapegoats for the UC nobles to point at (i.e. other races). Read the state sponsored newspaper for further examples.

I honestly rate the UC lower than the Holy Nation, and I gotta say that takes effort. At least they're honest in their fuckery.

The Holy Nation doesn't even sell their slaves, do they? They just all get sent to Rebirth for repentance. I got a really biased start against Holy Nation because of the slave start I chose but after exploring more of the world I've really done a 180 on them, they're not so bad. They also do a pretty darn good job of keeping their region safe, outside of the immediate Hub area which is basically rebel territory anyways. The Desert loving sucks and the southern cities are hanging on by a thread.

Still trying to finalize what I wanna do in my next playthrough. Siding with the Holy Nation sounds kind of fun, but so does setting up camp in the worst zone imaginable and actually pulling off base defenses, the Leviathan Coast is way too safe and kind of boring.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The Holy Nation doesn't even sell their slaves, do they? They just all get sent to Rebirth for repentance. I got a really biased start against Holy Nation because of the slave start I chose but after exploring more of the world I've really done a 180 on them, they're not so bad. They also do a pretty darn good job of keeping their region safe, outside of the immediate Hub area which is basically rebel territory anyways. The Desert loving sucks and the southern cities are hanging on by a thread.

Still trying to finalize what I wanna do in my next playthrough. Siding with the Holy Nation sounds kind of fun, but so does setting up camp in the worst zone imaginable and actually pulling off base defenses, the Leviathan Coast is way too safe and kind of boring.

My first game I got beaten by a bunch of bandits, had all my food taken from me, and was left to die.

A paladin patrol came by, patched me and my one companion up, AND GAVE BOTH FOOD. I still think the holy nation is hosed up beyond horrible, but it really put me in the perspective that this game is grey and grey morality, and not black and white.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Amuys posted:

They're the UC's Teaparty is my guess.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Amuys posted:

Picture them with maga hats and confederate flags

e: lol^^^

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

mauman posted:

Does this make Cat-Lon Mr. House?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The Holy Nation doesn't even sell their slaves, do they? They just all get sent to Rebirth for repentance.
They get sent to Rebirth to work themselves to death. Rebirth is literally a concentration camp.

I mean, it's not chattel slavery like the United Cities have, but that doesn't make it better. The Holy Nation is a pretty nice place to live if you're a male Greenlander Okranite, but the same thing was true about Nazi Germany.

Before I get a :godwin: here, I'm pretty sure that this is an intentional parallel.

quote:

I still think the holy nation is hosed up beyond horrible, but it really put me in the perspective that this game is grey and grey morality, and not black and white.
I'd call it black and black. This game's world is genuinely awful and the only people who are tolerable are from minor factions that don't have a real influence on anything.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 30, 2019

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Greenlander

I'd call it black and black. This game's world is genuinely awful and the only people who are tolerable are from minor factions that don't have a real influence on anything.

For what it's worth, scorchlanders get a pass too. And that's fair for the black vs black bit.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Cardiovorax posted:

Well the Hives are pretty okay I guess for a semi major faction.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

mauman posted:

For what it's worth, scorchlanders get a pass too. And that's fair for the black vs black bit.
Yeah? Alright. I could swear the last time I played a scorchlander, I kept getting the typical "we don't want your kind here" chatter from shopkeepers. Wasn't ever attacked, though, so you're probably right.

Amuys posted:

Yeah, doing some petty scamming of people by shoving your handmade arts'n'crafts on them is really fairly decent by the standards of Kenshiworld.

Plus, they count as proper lighting for working at night, so they're really pretty useful to have.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Amuys posted:

Space Amish, they completely cut off anyone who leaves a hive forever and sperg out. And I'm sorry, but anyone who casts out Beep is worse than space hitler.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

They get sent to Rebirth to work themselves to death. Rebirth is literally a concentration camp.

I mean, it's not chattel slavery like the United Cities have, but that doesn't make it better. The Holy Nation is a pretty nice place to live if you're a male Greenlander Okranite, but the same thing was true about Nazi Germany.

Before I get a :godwin: here, I'm pretty sure that this is an intentional parallel.

The sort of main difference for me is that the Holy Nation's policies about the world seem like weird zealotry at first but a lot of it is based on the history of the world. Like, the Holy Nation killing Skeletons on sight totally makes sense, and their inherent dislike of Hivers comes from that same context. Sort of makes me wonder how the Shek got on their bad side, or if it just came down to not converting to Okran. They're the most fully realized faction (outside of Skeletons) and also the most interesting to me since their behavior informs you about the world. Like, yeah, every nation is super lovely, but the Holy Nation is the one that's lovely in the most interesting way and that makes me like them more. The United Cities is just a huge rear end in a top hat collection that are only better than bandits in the sense that they decided to make cities.

e: that should be the tagline of the UC. "what if bandits had cities"

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The swamp drug cartels are like that but surprisingly aren't as lovely.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Several people have asked for mods - here's a few I use:

Extended Campsite lets you plop down a few useful structures (storage, prisoner pole, food barrel, etc) without the game counting it as an outpost.

Expanded Cooking adds new recipes, rebalances bread, and adds some food-related furniture and storage.

Bounty-Hunting for Minor Factions makes life as a bounty hunter much more viable. Now most factions (including the Hub!) will pay decent money for certain re-occurring NPCs.

Reactive World expands the vanilla game's relatively barebones "world reaction" system (i.e. a major faction losing outposts when its leaders get kidnapped/killed) by adding several sets of 'consequences' for many factions, including infighting among cannibals and dust bandits, helping the Shek rebuild the Hub, prolonged Holy Nation decline and fall, etc.

Enhanced Shopping Economy, as mentioned, makes setting up shop as a merchant much more viable, by giving townies more disposable income and a desire to buy stuff beyond just food and booze.

Prisoner Recruitment is considered a must-have for many players. You only get a chance to convince prisoners to join you, and it has a small cooldown before you can try again, so it's not too unbalanced.

Sensible Spider Range is not considered a must-have, it is a must have. Just get it.

Trade Routes Intensified also goes well with merchant playstyles. Adjusts the price of several commodities on different areas of the map, making it much more profitable to buy low and sell high.

Pocket Change (harsh) adds a few lootable cats to the inventory of most NPCs. Higher-level enemies carry more money, but even they won't carry too much, so it's still fairly balanced.

Compressed Textures, as mentioned before, lets your computer breathe.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The sort of main difference for me is that the Holy Nation's policies about the world seem like weird zealotry at first but a lot of it is based on the history of the world. Like, the Holy Nation killing Skeletons on sight totally makes sense, and their inherent dislike of Hivers comes from that same context. Sort of makes me wonder how the Shek got on their bad side, or if it just came down to not converting to Okran. They're the most fully realized faction (outside of Skeletons) and also the most interesting to me since their behavior informs you about the world. Like, yeah, every nation is super lovely, but the Holy Nation is the one that's lovely in the most interesting way and that makes me like them more.
Eh, I don't know. I think that would be a lot like saying that Austrians still have a reason to hate Turks because the Ottomans assaulted Vienna in 1683, or Egyptians still hating Italians for what the Roman Empire did.

I mean, it really does make sense to hate Skeletons for that reason, because they're all immortal, don't reproduce and are legitimately still the same people who committed all those atrocities. They just got away with it. Hating Hivers and Shek for some nebulous reason that happened 3000 years ago? Calling them demons? Nah. That's just some good old-fashioned human evil.

I agree that they feel like the most fully realized, though. There's a reason that most standard starts dump at a location where they're likely to be first major nation you'll run into.

quote:

The United Cities is just a huge rear end in a top hat collection that are only better than bandits in the sense that they decided to make cities.

Now this I can agree with. That's literally the origin of hereditary nobility for you.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

Hating Hivers and Shek for some nebulous reason that happened 3000 years ago? Calling them demons? Nah. That's just some good old-fashioned human evil.

Hivers are implied to be some sort of genetic experiment that the Skeletons created for the purpose of slave labor.

There's also a lore book that says something very brief about why the Holy Nation hate the Shek, something about the Shek and the Holy Nation once being on okay terms and then something happened to change that, I think the phrasing was that the Shek "turned away from Okran," which I think is something that could be shown in Kenshi 2 if we follow the idea that Okran was actually a real historical figure.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the other problem with the holy nation is that okran might actually be stobe, the giant skeleton who didn't die at Obedience, and instead of getting vengeful against humanity, saved them from the vengeance of the other skeletons

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Hivers are implied to be some sort of genetic experiment that the Skeletons created for the purpose of slave labor.
They're also really nice and have never done anything to hurt anyone. I wouldn't call that a reason, more "guilt by association." :shrug:

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the other problem with the holy nation is that okran might actually be stobe, the giant skeleton who didn't die at Obedience, and instead of getting vengeful against humanity, saved them from the vengeance of the other skeletons
That is super neat and I didn't even know that.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

They're also really nice and have never done anything to hurt anyone. I wouldn't call that a reason, more "guilt by association." :shrug:

Don't they sell people lanterns of illumination and then tell people it will allow them to safely travel through the fog lands? I dunno about you but I consider telling people that they can safely travel through one of the most dangerous areas in the world if you buy this tchotchke, and knowing that it doesn't, to be relatively evil.

I will agree its lesser than what some of the other nations do, but still.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Carcer posted:

Don't they sell people lanterns of illumination and then tell people it will allow them to safely travel through the fog lands? I dunno about you but I consider telling people that they can safely travel through one of the most dangerous areas in the world if you buy this tchotchke, and knowing that it doesn't, to be relatively evil.

I will agree its lesser than what some of the other nations do, but still.
On the level of selling magic charms against crocodile attacks, I guess. I mean, you have to be kind of gullible to buy that little scam to begin with, which doesn't really compare to slave trade and active, religiously motivated genocide of other races from my point of view.

But that's just my opinion.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Sure, I'm not trying to equate what they do with slavery or genocide or anything else the big 3 get up to, but they are willing to prey on people's gullibility (and sometimes desperation) and knowingly send them to their deaths.Their terrible, horrifying, agonizing, drawn out deaths.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

The HN is really bad, but it's entirely valid to say that they're in a really hosed up horror world and they gotta do what they gotta do

For hating the Shek: They've been at war for a while so I mean it seems inevitable that there'll be some vitriol, and from what we see of the lore it legitimately wasn't always this way

For hating Hivers: They live next to the Foglands, they have an extremely good reason to not trust Hivers even a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Blade Runner posted:

The HN is really bad, but it's entirely valid to say that they're in a really hosed up horror world and they gotta do what they gotta do

This and every other major power is bad, too. But yeah, their weird religion thing makes a lot more sense when you compare the state of the world to the state of Earth when all the major religions we have now were originally founded, where it serves more of a utility as a moral guide. Not surprising considering Okranism is basically just word-for-word Old Testament poo poo.