Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I am used to playing F:NV with stuff like added weapons, Project Nevada, jSawyer, and such. My stepdaughter has expressed interest in Fallout after playing F3 and wants to try NV. Instead of rebuying it for her Xbox, I figure I can just teach her how to launch things on steam and use a controller on PC. My question then is: What are some good QoL mods that don't change much from the base game? I'm thinking stuff like CASM, whatever that replacement for the stutter remover was, and NVAC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I am used to playing F:NV with stuff like added weapons, Project Nevada, jSawyer, and such. My stepdaughter has expressed interest in Fallout after playing F3 and wants to try NV. Instead of rebuying it for her Xbox, I figure I can just teach her how to launch things on steam and use a controller on PC. My question then is: What are some good QoL mods that don't change much from the base game? I'm thinking stuff like CASM, whatever that replacement for the stutter remover was, and NVAC.

To what you already mentioned I would add the YUP Unofficial Patch and a UI mod like Darnified or MTUI or whatever is popular these days. Though maybe the default UI works ok with a controller? Never played New Vegas with a controller so I dunno.

If you want her to get the base game launch experience then something like the Uncut Wasteland mod to add back in all the NPCs/stuff that got cut out for memory reasons after the DLC launched.

And Freeside and Strip Open are just nice to have, as is the Texture Pack for some cleaner visuals (though if she's fine with F3's look then I doubt it matters). I might be forgetting something but that's probably everything I would run if I were doing a barebones "vanilla" experience.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The only other thing I can think of is get something that will integrate the weapons from Gun Runner's Arsenal into the game better, assuming you have that DLC. There's a couple different ones that do it a little differently but I can't remember which is the recommended one

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok yeah, I've run the GRA integration before, that's a good idea. Forgot about the uncut stuff, that would make sense for a vanilla run as well. Thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YQYvtRNVJw

Oh dear more Mod Drama.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What mods are these? I hope I don't have them so I don't need to care.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SeanBeansShako posted:

What mods are these? I hope I don't have them so I don't need to care.

Xilandro is the guy who has been adding stuff like quickthrow grenades, diagonal movement, weapon inertia and so on. His mods have added a ton of functionality to the actual shooting gameplay of New Vegas.

He's also very touchy as you can see.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
he dropped dropbox links to his stuff in a pinned comment

for your convenience:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Fuuuuck I got at least three.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
what is he mad about?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drkeiscool posted:

what is he mad about?

Sinitar has been working on a massive modlist that he calls New Vegas Ultimate Edition, and he listed Xilandro's mods as being fully compatible with everything else on the list. Xilandro asked that his mods be removed from the guide because he doesn't believe that it's possible for 800+ mods to be fully compatible with one another and he doesn't want users coming to his mod pages to yell about how his mods (which are still in beta) broke their mod setup. Sinitar apparently refused to remove the mods and they argued over private messaging where neither side refusing to budge, so Xilandro took the nuclear option and set all of his mods to hidden on Nexus until an agreement can be met upon.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Classic

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Jesus. Xilandro seems to have a good point, but there are other ways to get your point across other than holding your own content hostage, lmao. Especially since anyone can just rehost it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And now Sinitar's modding guide has been taken down for moderation review.

EDIT: Now Xilandro is back up and the issue is resolved.

I've discovered that the biggest culprit in my framerate loss is not actually an ENB, but Realistic Wasteland Lighting. It makes everything so choppy like I can't believe.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 4, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/65897

Best Goodsprings overhaul?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Sure.

The Sierra Madre assets look pretty in daylight, and it's nice to have some variety.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
Modding f:nv has been very tiresome so far. Finally got an all singing all dancing pc, used https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/aeb6ez/2019_fallout_new_vegas_mod_listguide/ for a start, with tips from the comments (like using the unofficial patch), installed vortex and got to it.

Had to disable multiple mods to get it working, then half the cast had floating red boxes for heads so I had to disable NV redesigned, and my current problem is that its running too fast (I have a high refresh rate screen which might be causing it?) and it absolutely refuses to close without me having to restart the computer. Like, once the game is started up it won’t minimise to let me use task manager. At the end of my tether now.

Is there anywhere I could get a nice lightweight mod list that will let me close the game & not have to fiddle too much? I’d just like it to: look nicer, run smoothly, and maybe have the best of modded missions etc, nothing fancy. And anyone got any ideas re: the speed? I’d say its roughly 50% too fast and its affecting my run speed and enemy movement.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Stumiester posted:

Modding f:nv has been very tiresome so far. Finally got an all singing all dancing pc, used https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/aeb6ez/2019_fallout_new_vegas_mod_listguide/ for a start, with tips from the comments (like using the unofficial patch), installed vortex and got to it.

Had to disable multiple mods to get it working, then half the cast had floating red boxes for heads so I had to disable NV redesigned, and my current problem is that its running too fast (I have a high refresh rate screen which might be causing it?) and it absolutely refuses to close without me having to restart the computer. Like, once the game is started up it won’t minimise to let me use task manager. At the end of my tether now.

Is there anywhere I could get a nice lightweight mod list that will let me close the game & not have to fiddle too much? I’d just like it to: look nicer, run smoothly, and maybe have the best of modded missions etc, nothing fancy. And anyone got any ideas re: the speed? I’d say its roughly 50% too fast and its affecting my run speed and enemy movement.

Whenever I feel like modding FNV I use this as base and build from there. This is far from lightweight but if you read ahead without blindly installing everything you can trim it down. A lot.

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
JIP just released this: NVHR - New Vegas Heap Replacer

"This mod replaces the game's dynamic memory management system with a much superior implementation, based on the Intel® TBB scalable allocation method.

This will provide a significant boost to overall game performance, including increased frame-rates and reduced loading times and stutter.

All those improvements do not come entirely without a price, most notably increased memory usage. The game will consume relatively more memory. At the same time, however, the available resources will be managed at much higher efficiently, which will mostly mitigate the cost."

People in the comments are complaining about crashes so I don't know if I'd jump on it just yet (it's like seven hours old after all) but once they start getting bugs ironed out this sounds good

EDIT: lol already hidden, presumably until they can get it to quit crashing the game... or maybe it was just a figment of my imagination :iiam:

Crindee fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 14, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I managed to snag it before it went down, but I might take my time. I also got some of the ini files that the New Vegas ULTIMATE mod put up before it got taken down, and that fixed most of my stuttering issues.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So this looks rad:

FPGE - Functional Post Game Ending

quote:

You've all most likely heard of mods such as CAGE and Continue After Ending by McLion. Whilst these mods are great, and allow you to continue after you conclude the battle of Hoover Dam, that's all they do. The world doesn't change; the Dam battle still takes place as if nothing changed, if you help the Legion, they never take over New Vegas and NCR troopers are still around and act as if they haven't lost yet, and if Goodsprings was taken over by the NCR, this isn't represented at all.

This is where this mod comes in. After two weeks, Hoover Dam is taken over by the respective faction and the fighting stops, the Kings will get eradicated by the Legion, if alive, the Brotherhood of Steel will take over Helios One and patrol the roads, and the Great Khans will evacuate their camp, taking everything with them. This is only a small portion of what can take place however, and there are a massive amount of things that change based on how you play.

Not only this, but dialogue has been changed to represent whatever endings are chosen, for instance:

"We'll show everyone that these are our new territories!" - NCR citizen. This is no longer shown should the NCR lose, why would they prattle on about this after they lose?

"We won't go quietly, the Legion can count on that" - NCR trooper. No longer shown should the Legion fail miserably, they wouldn't exactly need to worry about that after they win would they?

This is only a small selection mind you, but it's just a demonstration on how much love I've poured into this mod. I've played New Vegas for years and loved it ever since, so I thought it only appropriate that the game had a proper ending. I've considered nearly everything, so worrying about missing content or otherwise shouldn't be an issue.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vurt just released an update on Wasteland Flora Overhaul for the first time in a long time and I am pleased.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39856

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

Vurt just released an update on Wasteland Flora Overhaul for the first time in a long time and I am pleased.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39856

quote:

Wasteland Flora Overhaul (Fertile) v3.0
Date uploaded
14 Apr 2019, 2:22PM

Version
This version fixes lots of issues with 2.8;
missing normal maps (there were.. tons..)
some normals facing the wrong way
cleaned up meshes from unused strings etc
fixed ugly UV-mapping and fixed some ugly meshes
some new textures, tweaks
+probably more

Hooray!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm quite honestly amazed at how dedicated the modding for New Vegas is even nearly a decade later. I was never really big into modding communities before FNV so I don't know how big the modding leaps have been compared to say, Doom or Source mods, but the way new Vegas looks and plays in 2019 compared to 2011 when I first bought it is night and day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm quite honestly amazed at how dedicated the modding for New Vegas is even nearly a decade later. I was never really big into modding communities before FNV so I don't know how big the modding leaps have been compared to say, Doom or Source mods, but the way new Vegas looks and plays in 2019 compared to 2011 when I first bought it is night and day.

Doom mods are insane, but they tend to lean hard into the original aesthetic so it's just insane maps or new mechanics and no "better looking imps."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Skwirl posted:

Doom mods are insane, but they tend to lean hard into the original aesthetic so it's just insane maps or new mechanics and no "better looking imps."

True but I also appreciate how modders like Xilandro or the Solid Project guys are adding stuff like proper sprinting, melee systems and better overall first person shooter handling to a game that started really rough on those fronts.

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What are some good mods that add Western-themed weapons?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Lucky is already in the game,what else do you need?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AGGGGH BEES posted:

I know weapons if the new millenium has a bunch. If you don't want to get all of his modern hardware though you can download individual guns and then merge the plugins together. I also know there's several mods that add lever action rifles and shotguns to the mix. Merging all these mods also has the amusing side effect of turning Doc Mitchell's house into the most powerful armory in the Mojave wasteland.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AGGGGH BEES posted:

I enjoyed the 1874 Sharps Carbine - https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/62035

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A fancier Cowboy Repeater, huh?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Solid Project and whatnot still hidden due to drama?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Light Gun Man posted:

Solid Project and whatnot still hidden due to drama?

What kind of drama?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe I'm dumb and mixing up Xilandro and TommInfinite. Foolishly I thought surely there couldn't be multiple NV mod drama stories happening at roughly the same time.

Solid Project is hidden though. I can find alternates, but man I really hate when all the support info and whatnot just gets blanked like this.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 18, 2019

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

What kind of drama?

The typical "I've quit modding and to really get over it I need to delete all my work as well." bullshit.

If anyone needs SP, here'a link to V18. https://www.dropbox.com/s/dwsvk63bftllhby/Solid%20Project%20V18-63239-18-1549630285.rar?dl=0

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This could really use a new thread with an updated OP; the current one isn't maintaned and hasn't been updated for years.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know weapons if the new millenium has a bunch. If you don't want to get all of his modern hardware though you can download individual guns and then merge the plugins together. I also know there's several mods that add lever action rifles and shotguns to the mix. Merging all these mods also has the amusing side effect of turning Doc Mitchell's house into the most powerful armory in the Mojave wasteland.

And there's nothing wrong with that at all...

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Just don't push Old Mole-Butt too hard, you'll never know when he'll crack

AGGGGH BEES
Apr 28, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anyone have a mirror of Lombard Station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

AGGGGH BEES posted:

Does anyone have a mirror of Lombard Station?

Man, I wish we'd have gotten that Lombard Station 2.0 that a goon was working on.